Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

Let's just look at it this way: ok, there are changes many do not like, me included, but ther cruise lines, all of them, are in the business to make money: call it overcharing for the cruise, say you are being nickel an dimed, whatever: they all are going to get our money one way or the other. We can choose to go on cruise lines with ships that are older or not as well maintained or we can pay a little more and get a little more. That little more might be better food or top of the line entertainment or great service. It is up to us to decide what works the best for us.

I gave you example of some of the things that I would consider as nickel and diming, never said anyone was doing these thing. To me the definition of nickel and diming is: charging small amounts for many minor services. Your definition might be different. I also don't think anyone can be nickeled and dimed, because one is in full control of their money and no one is forcing them to purchase anything. If we think differently, that is okay, because what a boring world it would be if we all saw everything in the same light.

I agree with your last sentence:). That the customer is in control of how their nickels and dimes get spent does not define nickel and diming either (at least to me).

So what cruise lines in your opinion nickel and dime their passengers and more importantly, why? By the definitions that you are providing none of them do (since I know of no cruise line charging small amounts for many minor services and people can't be nickeled and dimed because they have full control of their money), but in reality all the mainstreams do to a degree because their business survival mandates it.

So if I go to a mom and pop store and buy the same item for more than I would get at target or Walmart is that nickel and diming?

I don't know, is it? I'm talking cruise lines, not businesses that have no relation to that.;)

Edited by sparks1093

I agree with your last sentence:). That the customer is in control of how their nickels and dimes get spent does not define nickel and diming either (at least to me).

So what cruise lines in your opinion nickel and dime their passengers and more importantly, why? By the definitions that you are providing none of them do (since I know of no cruise line charging small amounts for many minor services and people can't be nickeled and dimed because they have full control of their money), but in reality all the mainstreams do to a degree because their business survival mandates it.

What you consider nickel and diming is correct in your way of thinking and what I consider nickel and diming is correct in my way of thinking. But for the record, I don't consider anything that is a choice purchase to be nickel and diming, because one has a choice to purchase it or not. In my opinion nickel and diming, is when someone charges you for things that a essentials. As an example, I don't consider room service an essential service on a cruise line, just my opinion and you might disagree. I respect that you have your opinion, even if you disagree with mine.

What you consider nickel and diming is correct in your way of thinking and what I consider nickel and diming is correct in my way of thinking. But for the record, I don't consider anything that is a choice purchase to be nickel and diming, because one has a choice to purchase it or not. In my opinion nickel and diming, is when someone charges you for things that a essentials. As an example, I don't consider room service an essential service on a cruise line, just my opinion and you might disagree. I respect that you have your opinion, even if you disagree with mine.

Then by your definition none of the other cruise lines nickel and dime (and of course NCL wouldn't either under that definition) and if that is how you look at things that is perfectly okay.

Edited by sparks1093

Then by your definition none of the other cruise lines nickel and dime (and of course NCL wouldn't either under that definition) and if that is how you look at things that is perfectly okay.

Like I said, your definition of nickel and diming works for your way of thinking and my definition of nickel and diming works for my way of thinking. You can read whatever you like into what I said, as it really doesn't make any difference to either of our opinions.

Like I said, your definition of nickel and diming works for your way of thinking and my definition of nickel and diming works for my way of thinking. You can read whatever you like into what I said, as it really doesn't make any difference to either of our opinions.

Absolutely right. nickel and diming is a matter of how you perceive it. To me NCL does not nickel and dime but others might think so. To me nickel and dime is when you are forced to buy something and charging much more. NCL is not forcing you to buy UDP, UBP, and other items in the ship. You can go in a cruise and spend just the fare and the DSC fees and not pay for anything else.

Just noticed the Sun 14 day South America cruises for November 21 and December 5 are currently priced at Inside $399, Outside $599 and Balcony $799. Not matching the current trend, wish I could hop a plane.

Yes very good prices. My cruise I purchased this year for Jan 2016 was a lot lower price for same cabin type and got more add on like UBP, UDP and on board credit. Crazy people think the prices have gone up a 1000% the way they are talking.

Absolutely right. nickel and diming is a matter of how you perceive it. To me NCL does not nickel and dime but others might think so. To me nickel and dime is when you are forced to buy something and charging much more. NCL is not forcing you to buy UDP, UBP, and other items in the ship. You can go in a cruise and spend just the fare and the DSC fees and not pay for anything else.

That's not Nickle and Diming, you are talking about Bait and Switch. The Only real thing the two have in common is that NCL is very good at both

That's fine then, under that definition none of the cruise lines nickel and dime.

Mr del rio wants to make ncl oceania lite he hasnt understood that at this time on certain sailings you can get same price for celebrity and you know what mr del rio????If anyone needed a more upscale cruise than ncl there are choices Celebrity princess etc

Spoken like someone who has precisely no knowledge of what Oceania is really like. The "free" stuff on Oceania includes all non-alcoholic drinks including bottled water -- I don't know anyone who doesn't use it. Also, specialty restaurants are included in the fare -- again, everyone takes advantage of it. Air fare is also included in the price -- and it's a great deal -- but, if you can do better on your own, you can get an air credit. I can't think of anything else that's "free" on Oceania.

There is no free laundry on Oceania for normal cruises; I get free laundry on NCL due to my Platinum status; I don't use it, so I guess I'm paying for something that's "free". Likewise the "free" specialty dinners on NCL -- I'm not impressed by any of NCL's specialties, and don't use them, even if they're free. I guess I'm paying for something I don't use...

Regent Seven Seas, of course, is different -- all alcoholic beverages are included, even premium brands. If you don't drink, you won't use it. Also, most excursions are "free"; if you'd rather take private excursions, you'll be paying for something ypou don't need.

Finally, as long as I'm responding to you, I'd like to comment on your notion that FDR is trying to create "Oceania Lite" as a stepping stone to Oceania. First of all, the target demographic for Oceania is ages 50 to 70. There are no children's facilities and no children's programs. If he's expecting NCL passengers to move up, he's probably going to wait a while for most. Oceania is not boring for the typical guests; not many of us are into water slides or rock climbing or zip lines or surfing aboard a ship, and have little desire for bumper cars...

Besides, Oceania has always been there for older, well-traveled, discerning NCL cruisers. In fact, some Regent cruisers have moved up from NCL. They have been there before the merger and will still be there after the merger, for those who are looking for something less rambunctious.

In a similar vein, NCL is there for Oceania and Regent guests -- as long as they only sail when school is in session, take longer cruises, and cruise out of the country when possible. At those times, NCL is very much like Oceania.

I admit that when the merger happened I told my husband that we might have to give Oceania a try, so I started reading the O message boards. After reading some of the remarks made on there about NCL and its passengers, no way would I ever want to cruise with people like that.

Just today a comment was made about NCL and how to the masses on it, all they know about manners is that it's a word in the dictionary.

My husband's about to turn 60 and I'm in my mid 50's so I guess we fit the Oceania demographics but truly have no desire. And we don't use water slides, rock walls, etc. However we do enjoy the laid back relaxed feel of NCL.

If we decide to look elsewhere then most likely it will be to Azamara or Sea Dream.

Regent Seven Seas, of course, is different -- all alcoholic beverages are included, even premium brands. If you don't drink, you won't use it. Also, most excursions are "free"; if you'd rather take private excursions, you'll be paying for something ypou don't need. (end of quote)

How do you consider Regent as different when NCL offers alcoholic beverages and excursions as booking bonuses ??? They are included in the fare same as Regent, aren't they ????

The only thing that is different is Regent fares are many times higher than NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

Yes very good prices. My cruise I purchased this year for Jan 2016 was a lot lower price for same cabin type and got more add on like UBP, UDP and on board credit. Crazy people think the prices have gone up a 1000% the way they are talking.

The prices have exceeded the demand, so NCL had to slash the fares to fill the ships.

The prices have exceeded the demand, so NCL had to slash the fares to fill the ships.

Not according to many on here that said the prices have increased dramatically. So your theory is out the window about lack of demand.

And also many ships are sailing at capacity so there is a great demand for NCL.

Edited by abe3

That's fine then, under that definition none of the cruise lines nickel and dime.

Yea you are right. You can only be nickel and dime if you let yourself be nickel and dime. No one forcing you to buy extras on board. That's your own decision.

Not according to many on here that said the prices have increased dramatically. So your theory is out the window about lack of demand.

And also many ships are sailing at capacity so there is a great demand for NCL.

Take this as you will- 4/2017 Escape out of NYC balcony cabin Bahamas itinerary $3300. 4/2017 Pride out of Baltimore balcony cabin Eastern Carib itinerary $1900. (And even if one wanted to avoid CCL at all costs RCCL comes in hundreds less than NCL also.)

Yea you are right. You can only be nickel and dime if you let yourself be nickel and dime. No one forcing you to buy extras on board. That's your own decision.

Which is actually a pity since the cruise lines rely on those nickels and dimes for their profit, so it's too bad that they don't use the practice.:)

I know that a lot of people take the term in a negative way, but maybe a more gentle term to use would be "maximizing onboard revenue" and NCL does that better than anyone else. Does that make the pill easier to swallow;)?

Which is actually a pity since the cruise lines rely on those nickels and dimes for their profit, so it's too bad that they don't use the practice.:)

I know that a lot of people take the term in a negative way, but maybe a more gentle term to use would be "maximizing onboard revenue" and NCL does that better than anyone else. Does that make the pill easier to swallow;)?

Don't need a pill to swallow because they are in a business to make money just like every other cruise line. Put your money elsewhere if you don't like what they do.

Edited by abe3

I don't care if the price goes higher, as long as it is in my budget and able to afford it without impacting more important things.

What I do care about is value. They can talk about increased prices all they want; if it translates to increased value for me as the guest, great. if it's just higher prices with no corresponding value increase, I bail out.

I don't want the cheapest / bottom of the barrel experience. But if they want to charge more, I should see that translate into more amenities and top notch services.

I believe that with all these changes mr del rio is just going to send away all the loyal ncl guests...on a long run i see BIG changes on ncl unfortunately

OMG the Evil FDR at work.....

But the question is whether he will attract new ones to replace them who are will to spend more. Looks what he has done with Oceania as an example. Originally 3 ships now -- 6 ships. Doubling revenue in a 10 year period is nothing to sneeze about..

Edited by PaulMCO