Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

That's exactly the one that has annoyed me. It is the exact opposite of conversations I have had with him.

It's absolutely true that FDR is trying to raise revenue and profit. That's his job; he's appointed by a Board of Directors that represent the shareholders. Like a football coach who's job hinges on winning, any CEO may be replaced if shareholders suffer.

The method he's using to increase revenue is to slowly but steadily increase what he perceives as value. Food will be better, the ship decor will be more modern, even art will be more tasteful. Some folks here haves disparaged linens and such, but I for one appreciate softer towels and more comfortable beds. I'm also willing to pay a little more to dine on fine china and crystal glassware, but enough people are not that I don't expect much in those areas.

The procedures so far have been a little clumsy. It's not a good thing to change things for folks beyond final payment, and there should have been more notice and explanation of some changes. In my personal experience, these are not moves FDR would not personally promote. I suspect they are, like the knee jerk incident to ban taking food to one's stateroom, to be attempts to please the new "boss" without knowing him well. I detect his hand in correcting those bloopers.

But, things will even out as his message is better understood by NCL staff. Will all guests be happy? Of course not; there is always an element that resists change of any sort. For example, those who sailed long ago when there was actually lobster being served resent it being gone, and perversely resent even more that it's now available with a charge that justifies the return. But, there will be even more who do appreciate the "new" NCL.

Right now, there is an entire universe of folks who won't sail NCL. Why go down a notch from HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.? Bring NCL up to their level, and start stealing their guests. Read their forums; there are significant numbers who want to dump them, too! Opens up a whole new world!

The whole world runs on the basis of those who pay more, get more. If one wants lobster for "free", pay more to sail on Oceania and have a lobster tail and filet sandwich every day for lunch at the pool grill, and have freshly grilled lobster tails every night at the grill-to-order station in the buffet, along with whole lobsters in several of the no-fee specialty restaurants for no additional charge.

He is trying to move NCL up in the cruise line hierarchy and it may not be his goal to actually make NCL a gateway to Oceania, but NCL is using a lot of the same techniques that Oceania is using. I am not one to be swayed much by waving a lot of free/included things in my face, it's the fare I need to pay to get onboard that decides it for me. As I mention in a previous post there's no way that I would pay $1500 for a 4 day cruise in a balcony on the Sky (4/2017 prices), even with 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets on the bed and free alcohol:). Note that it's not that I can't afford that, I am not going to pay it. As I said, I am in the financial demographic, but not the psychological one- the pretty bells and whistles aren't going to distract me.

Yes, it's his job to make money for the company and he appears to be doing a good job at that. At the end of the day the only thing he has done is removed one of my choices when it comes to selecting a cruise. That's bad for me but I'm sure there are many others that will take my place. C'est la vie.

I agree with your analysis. I also believe if the myriad of changes were actually properly communicated, grandfathered in where possible and put on the website as the changes were made, there would be a lot less dissention.

Couldn't agree more. There was certainly a big shift in negative chatter over the last year. It creates a level of distrust even in something as simple as a DSC. I never questioned it and loved the premise of a DSC that took care of everything except a bar tip, spa service tip or kids club, conceriege or butler tip. Then with the increase in DSC along with the 18% add on for speciality dining, and then a couple more DSC increases I was left thinking wait a minute. That's either a heck of a raise or my DSC isn't really solely for staff benefit. Then retroactive they take speciality servers out of the DSC explanation, which if truly done would just be yet another raise for the DSC employees. Someone like me who was formerly happy to pay the DSC and give a server or my steward a little extra for exemplary service is now left wondering what happens to the DSC vs gladly paying it. It is not enough for most to stop paying the DSC but it was certainly enough of an issue that they had to institute the new method of DSC removal. People didn't all of a sudden become unwilling to provide a gratuity, they simply started not believing all those increases were for the sole benefit of increasing staff pay. But all of these little increases in of themselves don't do really anything to stop the engine of increased consumer travel on NCL. They seem to be quite strange ways of increasing profit but its working for them and other lines. Just does not sit well with customers trust level in the company. If they push too far there will be a backlash and people will switch to land based vacations or other lines.

CEO, COO and CFO's along with stockholders can all emphasize the push for higher cruise fares, some will bite, others will not go along, plus those with a wait-n-see attitude.

Even in the NY/NE market, where there's less competitive pressure to maintain low(er) prices - marketing is doing whatever ... to fill the unsold cabins/inventory as the clock is closer to running out. Even at this moment, one can book a no-frills Inside GTY on the BA, leaving tomorrow for less than $1,100 for 2 people, with taxes & fees, just add gratuity - no "free promo perks" for 7 nights. The Thanksgiving week sailing still got inventory of cabins in nearly every category and the bargain special of the month, the 12 nights for the Caribbean - with at least 10 studios available for last minute booking (no perks, of course)

The so-called promotions just keep coming - empty cabins do not generate any revenue, not even gratuities to cover the crew's contracted pay rates. One of the CC'r on the Sun sailing an extended South America itinerary posted that ship was less than full, with only 1,600 (1,700 ??) pax when it's capacity is 2,400+. Not good trends, IMHO even with the promotions running :p

Can I just say that I'm really enjoying this respectful dialogue on both sides very much :)

The move to take away promos during the last 30 days is one of the first really sensible things I've seen happen with the changes. I understand if I'm getting a rock bottom deal it's not coming with bells and whistles, that is saved for those who paid more and booked earlier.

The whole point of ships selling off cabins at the last minute has been for those onboard revenues like specialities, drinks, shorex, etc. Sailing with empty cabins doesn't make sense, and giving away those coveted revenue streams also doesn't make sense.

The initial plan according to the investor's calls I listened to was to stop discounting the cabins after final payment. Lo and behold, we have the Sun situation mentioned above. Less people buying your stuff, playing your games and eating in your restaurants are bad for business. Now we see they've reversed their decision on that and trying another route. I think they'll have much more success with this one, it's tried and true.

Just today a comment was made about NCL and how to the masses on it, all they know about manners is that it's a word in the dictionary.

My husband's about to turn 60 and I'm in my mid 50's so I guess we fit the Oceania demographics but truly have no desire. And we don't use water slides, rock walls, etc. However we do enjoy the laid back relaxed feel of NCL.

If we decide to look elsewhere then most likely it will be to Azamara or Sea Dream.

As you can see by my signature I am a big Norwegian fan. I did cruise Oceania, and though not my favourite cruise, it was not because of the fellow passengers. In fact, the passengers were wonderful and among the nicest people I have met on a cruise. People on the Oceania board are only a small cohort of the passengers on Oceania. Some do not realize how similar the two lines are, especially on a longer cruise. So please don't pass up a great itinerary because of what was said on the board and know that they will also be very helpful should you choose to book an Oceania cruise. When I see the right itinerary I would go again.

That's exactly the one that has annoyed me. It is the exact opposite of conversations I have had with him.

It's absolutely true that FDR is trying to raise revenue and profit. That's his job; he's appointed by a Board of Directors that represent the shareholders. Like a football coach who's job hinges on winning, any CEO may be replaced if shareholders suffer.

The method he's using to increase revenue is to slowly but steadily increase what he perceives as value. Food will be better, the ship decor will be more modern, even art will be more tasteful. Some folks here haves disparaged linens and such, but I for one appreciate softer towels and more comfortable beds. I'm also willing to pay a little more to dine on fine china and crystal glassware, but enough people are not that I don't expect much in those areas.

The procedures so far have been a little clumsy. It's not a good thing to change things for folks beyond final payment, and there should have been more notice and explanation of some changes. In my personal experience, these are not moves FDR would not personally promote. I suspect they are, like the knee jerk incident to ban taking food to one's stateroom, to be attempts to please the new "boss" without knowing him well. I detect his hand in correcting those bloopers.

But, things will even out as his message is better understood by NCL staff. Will all guests be happy? Of course not; there is always an element that resists change of any sort. For example, those who sailed long ago when there was actually lobster being served resent it being gone, and perversely resent even more that it's now available with a charge that justifies the return. But, there will be even more who do appreciate the "new" NCL.

Right now, there is an entire universe of folks who won't sail NCL. Why go down a notch from HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.? Bring NCL up to their level, and start stealing their guests. Read their forums; there are significant numbers who want to dump them, too! Opens up a whole new world!

The whole world runs on the basis of those who pay more, get more. If one wants lobster for "free", pay more to sail on Oceania and have a lobster tail and filet sandwich every day for lunch at the pool grill, and have freshly grilled lobster tails every night at the grill-to-order station in the buffet, along with whole lobsters in several of the no-fee specialty restaurants for no additional charge.

You might be right but there's also a whole level of customers untapped who simply won't sail on an NCL ship because of perceived nickel and diming.

The difference now is that NCL is now the same price as the HAL cruises I look at. Hal gives us a better included dining experience a covered pool with padded loungers, and is going in the direction of less stuffy. They include little things like conditioner in all staterooms not just suites and are upping the suite experience and entertainment options.

NCL does seem willing to discard the passengers they displace with their increased fees, prices, cancelled cruises, redeployed 1/3 of the fleet in order to sell the rooms for more. At the moment it's working because travel in general is way up.

The decision to redeploy 1/3 of the fleet is a huge gamble. They may be able to fill those ships during this travel boom but it could just as easily really bite them knowing they kicked thousands of booked and paid passengers to the curb in order to potentially sell to the two birds in the bush for more $. They did successfully get to discard the huge perk packages given on those sailings when they canceled but they now have a ton of rooms to fill at the higher priced new model and they lost a pretty large customer base with that unprecedented move. I guess we shall know in the next two years if it paid off. If that gamble pays off for NCL I would say Del Rio is genius. If he has to dump the prices on those redeployed ships he will have lost the company a lot of $ and also lost all the thousands of customers he canceled on in order to sell their rooms for more $. He has done an industry first but it's yet to be seen if it will pay off. It sure didn't with me.

I still have one NCL cruise booked and am really looking forward to it but sadly the cruise line that brought our family back to the love of cruise vacations is also the one I'm least likely to book in the future.

I think its great to read everyone's POV without the insults!

I am not a fan of Del Rio, because like most, i don't like direction he is taking the company. I am a huge fan of NCL. Will I let his decision effect my future cruises? No. Mainly because, the on ship staff are so fantastic, that is what keeps me coming back. Now will I book more cruises with NCL exclusively. Nope, because I refuse to be FDR's "sheep". So that means I will have to pay more, that is fine, because, FDR does not value me as a customer, and I no longer trust him/NCL's decisions.

Recently (october 2015) Carnival Cruise Line Named 'America's Most Trusted Cruise Line' By Reader's Digest Magazine. So although, people complain of the cut backs, lack of entertainment on Carnival, they in still Trust them enough to continue spending their dollars with them. Trust is very important to the consumer when deciding to make a purchase. NCL will NOT be a recipient of this award no time soon. IMHO

I am now reading (late i know) THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE by Stephen R. Covey (its a great book btw)

Anyway I am going to paste an excerpt from the book, and let me know if it rings true.

Effectiveness Defined

The Seven Habits are habits of effectiveness. Because they are based on principles, they bring the maximum long-term beneficial results possible. They become the basis of a person's character,creating an empowering center of correct maps from which an individual can effectively solve problems,maximize opportunities, and continually learn and integrate other principles in an upward spiral ofgrowth.

They are also habits of effectiveness because they are based on a paradigm of effectiveness that is in harmony with a natural law, a principle I call the "P/PC Balance," which many people break themselves against. This principle can be easily understood by remembering Aesop's fable of the Goose and the

Golden Egg TM.

This fable is the story of a poor farmer who one day discovers in the nest of his pet goose a glittering golden egg. At first, he thinks it must be some kind of trick. But as he starts to throw the egg aside,he has second thoughts and takes it in to be appraised instead. The egg is pure gold! The farmer can't believe his good fortune. He becomes even more incredulous the following day when the experience is repeated. Day after day, he awakens to rush to

the nest and find another golden egg. He becomes fabulously wealthy; it all seems too good to be true.

But with his increasing wealth comes greed and impatience. Unable to wait day after day for the golden eggs, the farmer decides he will kill the goose and get them all at once. But when he opens the goose, he finds it empty. There are no golden eggs -- and now there is no way to get any more. The

farmer has destroyed the goose that produced them.

But as the story shows, true effectiveness is a function of two things: what is produced (the golden eggs) and the producing asset or capacity to produce (the goose).

If you adopt a pattern of life that focuses on golden eggs and neglects the goose, you will soon be without the asset that produces golden eggs. On the other hand, if you only take care of the goose with no aim toward the golden eggs, you soon won't have the wherewithal to feed yourself or the goose.

Effectiveness lies in the balance -- what I call the P/PC Balance TM. P stands for production of desired results, the golden eggs. PC stands for production capability, the ability or asset that produces the golden eggs.

______

sorry for the lenghtiness of my post. thanks for reading for those who made it thru :D:D

Edited by tiffygirl

I am not a fan of Del Rio, because like most, i don't like direction he is taking the company. I am a huge fan of NCL. Will I let his decision effect my future cruises? No. Mainly because, the on ship staff are so fantastic, that is what keeps me coming back. Now will I book more cruises with NCL exclusively. Nope, because I refuse to be FDR's "sheep". So that means I will have to pay more, that is fine, because, FDR does not value me as a customer, and I no longer trust him/NCL's decisions.

Recently (october 2015) Carnival Cruise Line Named 'America's Most Trusted Cruise Line' By Reader's Digest Magazine. So although, people complain of the cut backs, lack of entertainment on Carnival, they in still Trust them enough to continue spending their dollars with them. Trust is very important to the consumer when deciding to make a purchase. NCL will NOT be a recipient of this award no time soon. IMHO

I am now reading (late i know) THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE by Stephen R. Covey (its a great book btw)

Anyway I am going to paste an excerpt from the book, and let me know if it rings true.

Effectiveness Defined

The Seven Habits are habits of effectiveness. Because they are based on principles, they bring the maximum long-term beneficial results possible. They become the basis of a person's character,creating an empowering center of correct maps from which an individual can effectively solve problems,maximize opportunities, and continually learn and integrate other principles in an upward spiral ofgrowth.

They are also habits of effectiveness because they are based on a paradigm of effectiveness that is in harmony with a natural law, a principle I call the "P/PC Balance," which many people break themselves against. This principle can be easily understood by remembering Aesop's fable of the Goose and the

Golden Egg TM.

This fable is the story of a poor farmer who one day discovers in the nest of his pet goose a glittering golden egg. At first, he thinks it must be some kind of trick. But as he starts to throw the egg aside,he has second thoughts and takes it in to be appraised instead. The egg is pure gold! The farmer can't believe his good fortune. He becomes even more incredulous the following day when the experience is repeated. Day after day, he awakens to rush to

the nest and find another golden egg. He becomes fabulously wealthy; it all seems too good to be true.

But with his increasing wealth comes greed and impatience. Unable to wait day after day for the golden eggs, the farmer decides he will kill the goose and get them all at once. But when he opens the goose, he finds it empty. There are no golden eggs -- and now there is no way to get any more. The

But as the story shows, true effectiveness is a function of two things: what is produced (the golden eggs) and the producing asset or capacity to produce (the goose).

If you adopt a pattern of life that focuses on golden eggs and neglects the goose, you will soon be without the asset that produces golden eggs. On the other hand, if you only take care of the goose with no aim toward the golden eggs, you soon won't have the wherewithal to feed yourself or the goose.

Effectiveness lies in the balance -- what I call the P/PC Balance TM. P stands for production of desired results, the golden eggs. PC stands for production capability, the ability or asset that produces the golden eggs.

______

sorry for the lenghtiness of my post. thanks for reading for those who made it thru :D:D

Thank you for the post, I very much enjoyed it and agree with you :)

Thank you for the post, I very much enjoyed it and agree with you :)

I enjoy your comments as well. Thank you for "getting it".

Loved your review of the Escape.. .your booty "situation" had me cracking up. Hoping all is well and it left no physical reminders. :) lol

Edited by tiffygirl

Effectiveness Defined

Golden Egg TM.

______

Great post! And I must say reading it makes me, someone late to the NCL party, really wonder about what I have missed out on.

I think I might be the cruiseline equivalent of that nursing home cat -- I always seem to show up right at the end of everything. :D

Edited by macandlucy

I just wanted to share this with you (link below) I find the rest of your post very interesting, but the knee-jerk reaction to stop takeaway was actually from Frank Del Rio. He saw some plates in the corridor and made that snap decision.

I would be surprised if others weren't made the same way, especially when you see the DSC go up twice within months, looks like it wasn't thought out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6382

I'm not so sure about that. Yes, he saw the plates in the passageway on the POA, and yes, he reported his displeasure to his staff. But, Frank is good at delegating, and I would make a signifigant bet the decision to stop the food takeaway came from a lower level. I come to that conclusion for a couple if reasons. One, it was Andy Stuart who came forward and took the blame. Sure, he might have been taking one for the boss, but I think it's more likely the "buck stopped" with him, and he took responsibility for a lower exec. The other reason us that it WAS reversed, and pretty quickly, and that doesn't usually happen if it was a command from on high.

But, that's just speculation. I don't know, and neither do you. But, I'm a "glass half full" type, and if my speculation is negative, I keep it to myself. It doesn't do me or my blood pressure any good to be constantly whining. People tend to not like whiners.

I'm sorry NCL making changes you don't like, but when that happens to me, I quuetly move on. It serves no purpose to hang around full of venom.

You might be right but there's also a whole level of customers untapped who simply won't sail on an NCL ship because of perceived nickel and diming.

The difference now is that NCL is now the same price as the HAL cruises I look at. Hal gives us a better included dining experience a covered pool with padded loungers, and is going in the direction of less stuffy. They include little things like conditioner in all staterooms not just suites and are upping the suite experience and entertainment options.

NCL does seem willing to discard the passengers they displace with their increased fees, prices, cancelled cruises, redeployed 1/3 of the fleet in order to sell the rooms for more. At the moment it's working because travel in general is way up.

The decision to redeploy 1/3 of the fleet is a huge gamble. They may be able to fill those ships during this travel boom but it could just as easily really bite them knowing they kicked thousands of booked and paid passengers to the curb in order to potentially sell to the two birds in the bush for more $. They did successfully get to discard the huge perk packages given on those sailings when they canceled but they now have a ton of rooms to fill at the higher priced new model and they lost a pretty large customer base with that unprecedented move. I guess we shall know in the next two years if it paid off. If that gamble pays off for NCL I would say Del Rio is genius. If he has to dump the prices on those redeployed ships he will have lost the company a lot of $ and also lost all the thousands of customers he canceled on in order to sell their rooms for more $. He has done an industry first but it's yet to be seen if it will pay off. It sure didn't with me.

I still have one NCL cruise booked and am really looking forward to it but sadly the cruise line that brought our family back to the love of cruise vacations is also the one I'm least likely to book in the future.

Thank you for this. I've tended to get sidetracked along with everyone else by the a la carte and upcharge news every week, but I completely forgot about the redeployment stuff, and I'm not sure if anyone ever spelled out the financial implications and total screwing over of the customer as clearly as you did here. Ballsy of them.

Edited by perditax

I enjoy your comments as well. Thank you for "getting it".

Loved your review of the Escape.. .your booty "situation" had me cracking up. Hoping all is well and it left no physical reminders. :) lol

LOL, I'm healing nicely, thank you! I had to laugh earlier this week a regular poster told me she wouldn't want to cruise with me because I complain too much, and would be miserable.

Too funny, I think I'll nominate myself for the "NCL was a total pain in the ass and I still enjoyed my cruise" award :)

I'm not so sure about that. Yes, he saw the plates in the passageway on the POA, and yes, he reported his displeasure to his staff. But, Frank is good at delegating, and I would make a signifigant bet the decision to stop the food takeaway came from a lower level. I come to that conclusion for a couple if reasons. One, it was Andy Stuart who came forward and took the blame. Sure, he might have been taking one for the boss, but I think it's more likely the "buck stopped" with him, and he took responsibility for a lower exec. The other reason us that it WAS reversed, and pretty quickly, and that doesn't usually happen if it was a command from on high.

But, that's just speculation. I don't know, and neither do you. But, I'm a "glass half full" type, and if my speculation is negative, I keep it to myself. It doesn't do me or my blood pressure any good to be constantly whining. People tend to not like whiners.

I'm sorry NCL making changes you don't like, but when that happens to me, I quuetly move on. It serves no purpose to hang around full of venom.

I'm not the least bit full of venom, I'm very surprised you should say so. I don't see anything wrong with disagreeing with the way things are handled, and on this issue, you might want to look into it a bit further, as Andy Stuart made no bones about the fact that it came from FDR, and proved himself to be a bit of a yes man because he disagreed with it from the get go, but didn't stand up.

The things that have not changed about NCL are still better than any other cruise line I've been on. I've travelled extensively on NCL, as you can see from my signature, and though I used to be a cheerleader, calling a spade a spade is better than blindly saying everything's great when it's not.

There's still a lot of good in NCL, I just hope it stays that way.

It doesn't do your blood pressure any good to take any comments on this board personally either, even if they are directed at a close friend:). I may not like the direction that he has taken NCL but that doesn't mean that I think he is a bad person.

If NCL bumps their prices up to, say, Celebrity levels, wouldn't that just attract a Celebrity-type cruiser?

If the Celebrity-type likes what NCL is offering at the time (but I doubt it)

You'd see fewer young families or young couples or groups of younger people who are just starting out in life and get to cruise occasionally when the price is just right.

All those people would have to cruise on a more affordable line.

Probably true.

I guess what I'm driving at is if NCL prices continue to rise, that will obstruct a number of cruisers from the line. Those cruisers will be forced to either switch to Carnival or cruise less. In the meantime, people like me might begin to think NCL offers a more upscale experience. Maybe not to the level of Celebrity, but I won't see as many bachelor parties or family reunions or frat groups on board. That would make me think the NCL experience will be closer to the Princess experience and that I'd be willing to try.

As it is, judging by the reviews I read on this board, NCL seems so much like Carnival and it doesn't seem worth it to switch. If the experience changed, meaning the price went up and things got more upscale, I'd be willing to try it out and see if I liked it.

Good point. The demographics would change, which would change the experience. But NCL has to deliver value for that higher price in order to attract those demographics from Celebrity, Princess, RCI, etc.

It will take two to tango. Like I said earlier, pushing prices up is fine, as long as there is value with that price. If there isn't, people will branch out or stay away altogether.

Did you buy FCC's on your last cruise? I didn't. I wonder how many did?

Perhaps, and this is a stretch, FDR hopes to change that experience and can't do so until the line gets more cash flow. I see Celebrity as a more genteel line, if you will, and I have to wonder if FDR wants to push NCL more in that direction.

I guess NCL cruisers will see how this works out in the next few years.

If they want more DINKS, affluent guests, retirees with time and money to burn, they should build some 2000-3000 pax, ships without the water parks and kids nurseries. I don't know what the new Panamax limit will be, but that seems to be a break point with a lot of the more adventurous travelers with more disposable income; there is only so many times most people will do eastern/western runs on a megaship.

Perhaps, and this is a stretch, FDR hopes to change that experience and can't do so until the line gets more cash flow. I see Celebrity as a more genteel line, if you will, and I have to wonder if FDR wants to push NCL more in that direction.

I guess NCL cruisers will see how this works out in the next few years.

I think Mr. Del Rio wants to push NCL to compete with premium lines, but I don't think he could compete, unless he changes things drastically (what he is saying about upcoming changes, isn't going to do it), puts a lot of money into advertising and still then, I think it would take NCL many, many years to change the reputation of being a more budget friendly mass market cruise line like a Carnival. Same as the CEO of Celebrity once said that Celebrity is a luxury line, I just figured that he had never cruised on a luxury line and thought premium was luxury, because Celebrity is certainly not a luxury line, IMHO.

If they want more DINKS, affluent guests, retirees with time and money to burn, they should build some 2000-3000 pax, ships without the water parks and kids nurseries. I don't know what the new Panamax limit will be, but that seems to be a break point with a lot of the more adventurous travelers with more disposable income; there is only so many times most people will do eastern/western runs on a megaship.
I 1000% agree with you. Smaller ships (I'd stay around the 2,000 number), no slides or water parks. They can still have children's play areas and programs, but just not the theme park atmosphere that the new mega ships have.

A couple of things that Crystal is doing that I really like is that they are (1) building some river cruise ships, two of them I believe, and (2) they will have a 62 passenger yacht which will have all the toys (wave runners, kayaks, 2 person sub, etc.) and will have zodiacs for landings. I think this will bring a lot of new younger customers to Crystal, as well as offering us current passengers other alternatives.

Cruise lines have to evolve to stay in business and that includes NCL.