Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

I've added my comments above.

"And I always use "free" in quotation marks because nothing is "free", as whatever you are getting for "free" is being included in your fare."

I guess you didn't bother to notice I do the same?

"Finally, as long as I'm responding to you, I'd like to comment on your notion that FDR is trying to create "Oceania Lite" as a stepping stone to Oceania. First of all, the target demographic for Oceania is ages 50 to 70. There are no children's facilities and no children's programs. If he's expecting NCL passengers to move up, he's probably going to wait a while for most. Oceania is not boring for the typical guests; not many of us are into water slides or rock climbing or zip lines or surfing aboard a ship, and have little desire for bumper cars..."

"It's not my notion, this is what industry analysts and people more expert than I have discerned from interviews with Del Rio. From what I've seen they are spot on in their analysis."

I'm more expert on Oceania than you, and I dare say I'm more expert than most industry analysts. Your discernment is flawed and obviously you haven't seen enough.

I've sailed 166 nights on Oceania, I've sailed on every one of their ships except Nautica, I was a guest at the Float Out of Marina and signed the first piece of steel cut for Riviera, I sailed the complimentary christening cruises for both Marina and Riviera and sailed both of their Maiden voyages, I've met Frank Del Rio and had two-on-two lunches and dinners with him and his wife, and I joined him and his family for a 4th of July celebrations in Seattle prior to the 10th Anniversary of Oceania celebration, among other contacts, emails and phone calls.

You've never been near an Oceania ship, you don't know the man, you've heard some rumors and believed them, and you think you're an expert on Oceania?

I will acknowledge your wisdom on NCL, I'm only Platinum and have never sailed the mega monsters.

Don't need a pill to swallow because they are in a business to make money just like every other cruise line. Put your money elsewhere if you don't like what they do.

No need to be so confrontational, none of this is personal after all but I have put my money elsewhere. Whether I continue to do so or not depends on NCL's fares at the time I book my next cruise.

"And I always use "free" in quotation marks because nothing is "free", as whatever you are getting for "free" is being included in your fare."

I guess you didn't bother to notice I do the same?

"Finally, as long as I'm responding to you, I'd like to comment on your notion that FDR is trying to create "Oceania Lite" as a stepping stone to Oceania. First of all, the target demographic for Oceania is ages 50 to 70. There are no children's facilities and no children's programs. If he's expecting NCL passengers to move up, he's probably going to wait a while for most. Oceania is not boring for the typical guests; not many of us are into water slides or rock climbing or zip lines or surfing aboard a ship, and have little desire for bumper cars..."

"It's not my notion, this is what industry analysts and people more expert than I have discerned from interviews with Del Rio. From what I've seen they are spot on in their analysis."

I'm more expert on Oceania than you, and I dare say I'm more expert than most industry analysts. Your discernment is flawed and obviously you haven't seen enough.

I've sailed 166 nights on Oceania, I've sailed on every one of their ships except Nautica, I was a guest at the Float Out of Marina and signed the first piece of steel cut for Riviera, I sailed the complimentary christening cruises for both Marina and Riviera and sailed both of their Maiden voyages, I've met Frank Del Rio and had two-on-two lunches and dinners with him and his wife, and I joined him and his family for a 4th of July celebrations in Seattle prior to the 10th Anniversary of Oceania celebration, among other contacts, emails and phone calls.

You've never been near an Oceania ship, you don't know the man, you've heard some rumors and believed them, and you think you're an expert on Oceania?

I will acknowledge your wisdom on NCL, I'm only Platinum and have never sailed the mega monsters.

You can be as expert as you want to be and it really doesn't affect me, nothing personal. I know enough about me and my likes and desires to know that Oceania just isn't my cup of tea and at the end of the day that is all that I really need to know. I don't need to be an expert on Oceania and I certainly don't need to know Del Rio himself to know that I do not like the direction that he is taking NCL. I have formed my judgment of Del Rio based primarily on his public statements and I have taken those statements at face value (in other words I believe that he meant to say exactly what he said).

I feel like this is ground hogs day. This week in Ft. lauderdale, 2015 Cruise World took place. All of the key notes, and every cruise line exec that spoke ALL said prices are on the rise globally. Once again NCL, has set the trend, now others will follow.

Like I have said in the past, NCL is purging its existing demo. They will retain the business. But it might not be you. Holland America is doing a 180. Rebranding into a more family line, going after the DINKS, and younger crowds starting with the launch on the KD next year.( huge rebrand).

Royal Carib - higher prices on there newer ships (higher then NCL BTW)

Carnival - Still a value line, but has been slowly increasing most onboard princes, will continue into next year.

Celeb - higher prices, more onboard sir charges coming

Disney - premium family line just screwed the TA's by lowering comp to well under average. And is looking to raise prices 5-7% fleet wide. ( looking to recover the 4 Billion they paid to George Lucas) that's being passed onto us.

It goes on and on. Know what the competition is doing, then bash NCL.

I JUST PUT ON MY ASBESTOS SUIT, SO IM FLAME PROOF.

You can be as expert as you want to be and it really doesn't affect me, nothing personal. I know enough about me and my likes and desires to know that Oceania just isn't my cup of tea and at the end of the day that is all that I really need to know. I don't need to be an expert on Oceania and I certainly don't need to know Del Rio himself to know that I do not like the direction that he is taking NCL. I have formed my judgment of Del Rio based primarily on his public statements and I have taken those statements at face value (in other words I believe that he meant to say exactly what he said).

Then, your the exact part of the demo, he wants to replace. Your comments are exactly the "type of guest" he will replace with a higher yielding passenger.

This I get from your statement as I took your statements at face value.

Remember, it's nothing personal.

Then, your the exact part of the demo, he wants to replace. Your comments are exactly the "type of guest" he will replace with a higher yielding passenger.

This I get from your statement as I took your statements at face value.

Remember, it's nothing personal.

Likely so, I am the financial demographic he wants but not the psychological demographic.

I feel like this is ground hogs day. This week in Ft. lauderdale, 2015 Cruise World took place. All of the key notes, and every cruise line exec that spoke ALL said prices are on the rise globally. Once again NCL, has set the trend, now others will follow.

Like I have said in the past, NCL is purging its existing demo. They will retain the business. But it might not be you. Holland America is doing a 180. Rebranding into a more family line, going after the DINKS, and younger crowds starting with the launch on the KD next year.( huge rebrand).

Carnival - Still a value line, but has been slowly increasing most onboard princes, will continue into next year.

Disney - premium family line just screwed the TA's by lowering comp to well under average. And is looking to raise prices 5-7% fleet wide. ( looking to recover the 4 Billion they paid to George Lucas) that's being passed onto us.

What is NCL's current demographic? (I am new to the line).

I am a new cruiser really, only have done six prior on different lines, but I will say, in my experience, the overall PAX feel is somewhat different on the different lines. (Now I am curious about the NCL pax!)

No, I'm not going to flame you because it what the people they labeled "cheerleaders and investors" on this forum, have been saying all along - You just put all the other cruise lines and what they're be doing in one list. :D

I was going to write a super long post but decide against it because even if one explained the difference in preferences and circumstances of the demographics that NCL want to attract or trying to dissuade - it still won't sink to those that like to complain about them. It is what it is - the fare and associated costs along with the value, either looks low/reasonable to someone and/or whomever they are going with, or it just doesn't.

No, I'm not going to flame you because it what the people they labeled "cheerleaders and investors" on this forum, have been saying all along - You just put all the other cruise lines and what they're be doing in one list. :D

I was going to write a super long post but decide against it because even if one explained the difference in preferences and circumstances of the demographics that NCL want to attract or trying to dissuade - it still won't sink to those that like to complain about them. It is what it is - the fare and associated costs along with the value, either looks low/reasonable to someone and/or whomever they are going with, or it just doesn't.

I don't disagree, the only thing it means to me is that I have one less cruise line to choose from. As you say, it is what it is.

I am a new cruiser really, only have done six prior on different lines, but I will say, in my experience, the overall PAX feel is somewhat different on the different lines. (Now I am curious about the NCL pax!)

From the Cruise Critic NCL review page:http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=24

Fellow Passengers

The crowd is diverse -- primarily American -- ranging in age from young families to older folks, and as well as a good many cruisers with disabilities. Norwegian has cultivated a broad appeal, which means its ships are oriented to both families and couples. They're appropriate for gay and lesbian travelers, too.

Norwegian is also carving out a major niche for itself in the U.K. and is offering some homeport options there. As well, it targets passengers from other English-speaking countries, such as Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Pretty much also people that don't mind spending zero-zilch to about $50 a day or more. There's alot of specialty restaurants that offer good food when you don't feel like dining in the complimentary places. Or shopping for bottles of alcohol like rum, jewelry, souvenirs, etc.

Edited by maywell

I don't disagree, the only thing it means to me is that I have one less cruise line to choose from. As you say, it is what it is.

EXACTLY!!! But, you're still going to complain and trying to argue about it anyway. I GET IT - you don't want to spend more money on a Balcony on NCL smaller ships because you feel like you are priced out completely and changes that happen make you feel uncomfortable for you and whomever else goes with you. It is what it is - you found your balcony on another line that is not NCL, that gives you more value for buck. Happy for you and enjoy whatever future voyages on that line or whatever other line.

From the Cruise Critic NCL review page:http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=24

Fellow Passengers

The crowd is diverse -- primarily American -- ranging in age from young families to older folks, and as well as a good many cruisers with disabilities. Norwegian has cultivated a broad appeal, which means its ships are oriented to both families and couples. They're appropriate for gay and lesbian travelers, too.

Norwegian is also carving out a major niche for itself in the U.K. and is offering some homeport options there. As well, it targets passengers from other English-speaking countries, such as Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Pretty much also people that don't mind spending zero-zilch to about $50 a day or more. There's alot of specialty restaurants that offer good food when you don't feel like dining in the complimentary places. Or shopping for bottles of alcohol like rum, jewelry, souvenirs, etc.

Thanks for that. As an experienced NCL cruiser, do you have any personal feelings you'd like to share about the "typical" NCL passenger? For example, if you asked me, in my experience about HAL I'd say the vibe I got was older, more conservative, non-partying, ship almost dead by 10 pm vs a CCL would be a younger, "woo hoo", lively at the pools and pool bars, drunks in the hallways. Any "difficult" pax for me would break down like CCL = crass; HAL = snooty.

Just curious about people's opinions :)

EXACTLY!!! But, you're still going to complain and trying to argue about it anyway. I GET IT - you don't want to spend more money on a Balcony on NCL smaller ships because you feel like you are priced out completely and changes that happen make you feel uncomfortable for you and whomever else goes with you. It is what it is - you found your balcony on another line that is not NCL, that gives you more value for buck. Happy for you and enjoy whatever future voyages on that line or whatever other line.

If you call making observations "complaining", sure. And it's not a matter of being "priced out", it's being unwilling to spend more money for something if I don't have to. Why in the world would I want to spend $1500 (again, 4/2017) for a balcony on the Sky when I can get a comparable cruise for half the money, or a 7 day cruise for a little more? Free booze? LOL, if I tried to drink that much I'd end up in the hospital.

Thanks for that. As an experienced NCL cruiser, do you have any personal feelings you'd like to share about the "typical" NCL passenger? For example, if you asked me, in my experience about HAL I'd say the vibe I got was older, more conservative, non-partying, ship almost dead by 10 pm vs a CCL would be a younger, "woo hoo", lively at the pools and pool bars, drunks in the hallways. Any "difficult" pax for me would break down like CCL = crass; HAL = snooty.

Just curious about people's opinions :)

She's only sailed Ncl once.

If you call making observations "complaining", sure. And it's not a matter of being "priced out", it's being unwilling to spend more money for something if I don't have to. Why in the world would I want to spend $1500 (again, 4/2017) for a balcony on the Sky when I can get a comparable cruise for half the money, or a 7 day cruise for a little more? Free booze? LOL, if I tried to drink that much I'd end up in the hospital.

You pay $1500 for 2 on a balcony for 7 days and for the around the same amount for one person, I can get an interior for 14 days on the same ship or a different one. It is, what it is - people with different preferences and circumstances paying for different values. I can no longer drink or eat heavily anymore, but the shore excursion credit looks great to me since I love going to ports for beaches and walking tours (that happens to be one of the other current perks along with drinks).

You pay $1500 for 2 on a balcony for 7 days and for the around the same amount for one person, I can get an interior for 14 days on the same ship or a different one. It is, what it is - people with different preferences and circumstances paying for different values. I can no longer drink or eat heavily anymore, but the shore excursion credit looks great to me since I love going to ports for beaches and walking tours (that happens to be one of the other current perks along with drinks).

The Sky only does 3 and 4 day sailings and the $1500 was for a 4 day cruise. The Sky is all inclusive after January 1.

You may take the shore excursion credit but the cost/profit for the UBP (the most expensive item if purchased seperately) has been factored into your fare, so that is really what you are paying for. Yes, interior cabins are more economical but when I compare one cruise to another I look at what we would book. You have recieved some great deals on NCL up until now but I wonder how long you'll be able to.

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion, and how it affects you, as I am to my opinion. But, I'm stating facts, and you are repeatedly stating opinions as facts, if you refrain from putting words in FDR's mouth that he never stated, I have no problem with anything you say, and respect you for much of it.

For the most part Ncl Does Not attract a rough crowd nor a low end crowd

It attracts families and gainfully employed types...retired types....overall decent types

IMHO though.....

Ncl is looking for the new cruiser....with the above demographics....the ncl party weekend boat...the Sun I think? Is a ship with demographics unto itself so that is not part of the equation as far as I'm concerned.

I feel NCL is currently courting....

The cruiser who will think they are getting a deal with say a free beverage or drink package

The cruiser who doesn't realize the prices have been raised to cover the above said freebies

The cruiser who actually considers the Breakaway to the Bahamas the cruise of a lifetime. Lol

The cruiser who just thinks that cruising is expensive so they pay the ridiculous prices

The cruiser that doesn't know the difference between the true family and friends sail free and the fake one

The cruiser that thinks everyone just goes to specialty restaurants. Buys the kids the soda package and has 10 cocktails each a day

Now.....seasoned cruisers know the above....newbie cruisers do not and just the above is the way it is

I for one....like(d) ncl and will certainly have a different opinion most likely after my January cruise...for better or worse

Will I continue to cruise...yes

Ncl....most likely

Other lines....most likely

Is cruising getting more expensive... Yes

Will I do more frequent land vacays.....yes

Does ncl have extremely boring itineraries......absolutely

Am I realistic....yep

However with 6 cruises under your belt you are by no means a new cruiser so if you like the price...dates....ship.....itin....by all means sail on ncl

Are they the best of the lot....nope

Might ncl fit your needs for your next cruise....perhaps....and if so certainly do not hesitate to book them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion, and how it affects you, as I am to my opinion. But, I'm stating facts, and you are repeatedly stating opinions as facts, if you refrain from putting words in FDR's mouth that he never stated, I have no problem with anything you say, and respect you for much of it.

If anyone is putting words in Del Rio's mouth it's the media that is quoting him (the quote that started this particular thread was "the emphasis will continue to be push prices up"). The only thing that I've ascribed to him that I don't believe that he has said publicly is that his vision is to make NCL an entry level cruise line to Oceania. That came from an analyst and that was his/her take away from converstations had with him.

It's just good business to make the most money you can and I see nothing wrong with it. I am sure many that complain about the cost would not run a personal business charging less than they know they can get. I just do not like the practices NCL is using. I do not like the extra charges for so many things nor do I like this a la cart dinning on a cruise ship. I have tried the Haven experence however you are still in a la cart land, which boggles my mind as FDR has said if you sell luxury you can not cut corners however NCL does. We like to sail from NY and like a ship with life on it so it's a problem. While NCL makes more things extra in this price range X just added more included things, however I am tired of going to Bermuda. Well time will tell.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

NCL is really just mirroring the industry wide travel both land based and cruises. People are willing to pay more for vacations today so the industry is raising prices. If demand comes down you bet the prices of the stateroom will do the same. Not really rocket science nor does it make Del Rio some CEO genius. I think NCL borders on the fringes of ethical and legal sales tactics but in the end that's the cruise industry take it or leave it with NCL offering passengers a quality vacation for most onboard. They are simply the worst industry wide for what they do for passengers when they cancel cruises, charter ships, redeply their fleet. Many people would never dream of a cruise simply because of what they hear about the industry in general. Some won't because of of extreme nickel and dime fears. But obviously enough are currently happily paying the fares and having a good vacation with NCL and Disney and carnival... And all the lines are doing well. The lines that will survive long term will be the lines who make the best name for themselves right now when it's gravy days for all no matter who their CEO is and what their business practices are.

Those of us who could travel well post 911, during the recession .... Are not happy about today's prices and some not willing to pay them. I can not justify spending over 1k per night for a Haven Suite. It's too tough a pill for me to swallow after years of luxury travel at a fraction of the cost. Gone also for me are the days of the beachfront villa at the Fairmont Kea Lani. I've been replaced by the traveler who is willing to pay those prices. I've been sent down to the cheep seats but I'm learning to be ok with that.

I do wish NCL would correctly describe their changes on their website though. Seems like sometimes they try to and other times changes are a mess which leads to negative Internet chatter and misinformation.

NCL is really just mirroring the industry wide travel both land based and cruises. People are willing to pay more for vacations today so the industry is raising prices. If demand comes down you bet the prices of the stateroom will do the same. Not really rocket science nor does it make Del Rio some CEO genius. I think NCL borders on the fringes of ethical and legal sales tactics but in the end that's the cruise industry take it or leave it with NCL offering passengers a quality vacation for most onboard. They are simply the worst industry wide for what they do for passengers when they cancel cruises, charter ships, redeply their fleet. Many people would never dream of a cruise simply because of what they hear about the industry in general. Some won't because of of extreme nickel and dime fears. But obviously enough are currently happily paying the fares and having a good vacation with NCL and Disney and carnival... And all the lines are doing well. The lines that will survive long term will be the lines who make the best name for themselves right now when it's gravy days for all no matter who their CEO is and what their business practices are.

Those of us who could travel well post 911, during the recession .... Are not happy about today's prices and some not willing to pay them. I can not justify spending over 1k per night for a Haven Suite. It's too tough a pill for me to swallow after years of luxury travel at a fraction of the cost. Gone also for me are the days of the beachfront villa at the Fairmont Kea Lani. I've been replaced by the traveler who is willing to pay those prices. I've been sent down to the cheep seats but I'm learning to be ok with that.

I do wish NCL would correctly describe their changes on their website though. Seems like sometimes they try to and other times changes are a mess which leads to negative Internet chatter and misinformation.

I agree with your analysis. I also believe if the myriad of changes were actually properly communicated, grandfathered in where possible and put on the website as the changes were made, there would be a lot less dissention.

..The only thing that I've ascribed to him that I don't believe that he has said publicly is that his vision is to make NCL an entry level cruise line to Oceania. That came from an analyst and that was his/her take away from converstations had with him.

That's exactly the one that has annoyed me. It is the exact opposite of conversations I have had with him.

It's absolutely true that FDR is trying to raise revenue and profit. That's his job; he's appointed by a Board of Directors that represent the shareholders. Like a football coach who's job hinges on winning, any CEO may be replaced if shareholders suffer.

The method he's using to increase revenue is to slowly but steadily increase what he perceives as value. Food will be better, the ship decor will be more modern, even art will be more tasteful. Some folks here haves disparaged linens and such, but I for one appreciate softer towels and more comfortable beds. I'm also willing to pay a little more to dine on fine china and crystal glassware, but enough people are not that I don't expect much in those areas.

The procedures so far have been a little clumsy. It's not a good thing to change things for folks beyond final payment, and there should have been more notice and explanation of some changes. In my personal experience, these are not moves FDR would not personally promote. I suspect they are, like the knee jerk incident to ban taking food to one's stateroom, to be attempts to please the new "boss" without knowing him well. I detect his hand in correcting those bloopers.

But, things will even out as his message is better understood by NCL staff. Will all guests be happy? Of course not; there is always an element that resists change of any sort. For example, those who sailed long ago when there was actually lobster being served resent it being gone, and perversely resent even more that it's now available with a charge that justifies the return. But, there will be even more who do appreciate the "new" NCL.

Right now, there is an entire universe of folks who won't sail NCL. Why go down a notch from HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.? Bring NCL up to their level, and start stealing their guests. Read their forums; there are significant numbers who want to dump them, too! Opens up a whole new world!

The whole world runs on the basis of those who pay more, get more. If one wants lobster for "free", pay more to sail on Oceania and have a lobster tail and filet sandwich every day for lunch at the pool grill, and have freshly grilled lobster tails every night at the grill-to-order station in the buffet, along with whole lobsters in several of the no-fee specialty restaurants for no additional charge.

That's exactly the one that has annoyed me. It is the exact opposite of conversations I have had with him.

It's absolutely true that FDR is trying to raise revenue and profit. That's his job; he's appointed by a Board of Directors that represent the shareholders. Like a football coach who's job hinges on winning, any CEO may be replaced if shareholders suffer.

The method he's using to increase revenue is to slowly but steadily increase what he perceives as value. Food will be better, the ship decor will be more modern, even art will be more tasteful. Some folks here haves disparaged linens and such, but I for one appreciate softer towels and more comfortable beds. I'm also willing to pay a little more to dine on fine china and crystal glassware, but enough people are not that I don't expect much in those areas.

The procedures so far have been a little clumsy. It's not a good thing to change things for folks beyond final payment, and there should have been more notice and explanation of some changes. In my personal experience, these are not moves FDR would not personally promote. I suspect they are, like the knee jerk incident to ban taking food to one's stateroom, to be attempts to please the new "boss" without knowing him well. I detect his hand in correcting those bloopers.

But, things will even out as his message is better understood by NCL staff. Will all guests be happy? Of course not; there is always an element that resists change of any sort. For example, those who sailed long ago when there was actually lobster being served resent it being gone, and perversely resent even more that it's now available with a charge that justifies the return. But, there will be even more who do appreciate the "new" NCL.

Right now, there is an entire universe of folks who won't sail NCL. Why go down a notch from HAL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, etc.? Bring NCL up to their level, and start stealing their guests. Read their forums; there are significant numbers who want to dump them, too! Opens up a whole new world!

The whole world runs on the basis of those who pay more, get more. If one wants lobster for "free", pay more to sail on Oceania and have a lobster tail and filet sandwich every day for lunch at the pool grill, and have freshly grilled lobster tails every night at the grill-to-order station in the buffet, along with whole lobsters in several of the no-fee specialty restaurants for no additional charge.

I just wanted to share this with you (link below) I find the rest of your post very interesting, but the knee-jerk reaction to stop takeaway was actually from Frank Del Rio. He saw some plates in the corridor and made that snap decision.

I would be surprised if others weren't made the same way, especially when you see the DSC go up twice within months, looks like it wasn't thought out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6382

Edited by SuiteCruiser