Europe - use credit card or cash??

2015NewBee

Hi! I am taking my first trip/cruise to Europe this month on the Epic and am looking for some advise. I will be in Rome for 3 days prior to my trip and will also be taking a bunch of shore excursions during the cruise. Do you seasoned travelers use credit cards or cash to pay for things on shore? Restaurants, museums, souvenirs, etc? I know credit cards usually charge a transaction fee and sometimes a conversion fee but you also get charged fees to use ATM's to get cash. Is one safer than the other? Easier? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

If you check with your bank you may be able to use your debit card at the ATM, which are everywhere, usually the ones at banks don't charge you. You could withdraw €200 at a time so you won't have loads of cash on you. pretty much everywhere will accept a visa/master card. May have issues with American express or Diners Card.

Just be warned they have a lot of pickpockets in Rome, particularly on trains & metro, so separate your cards and cash.

Have fun ☺

Carrying large amounts of cash may be necessary in some parts of the world, but not in Rome and the other places the Epic sails to. It's an unnecessary risk. These are very touristy areas where credit cards are widely accepted and ATMs are easy to find and use.

Not to mention the fact that with the exchange rates people seem to get when they buy euros in the US, they've already been robbed once before even leaving home. :(

Although credit cards are widely accepted (except Amex or Diners) there are still lots of places that do not. Even big tourist spots like Pompeii only accept cash (euros) and there aren't cash points outside. This is the same at lots of religious/historical/cultural venues. Also, bigger tourist shops will accept cards, lots of little ones (especially stalls) will only accept cash.

Pickpocketing and theft is common in nearly every big city, but you are more likely to get robbed by the people dressed up outside the Colosseum who will charge you massively over the odds for having your picture taken with them. Have your wits about you, but don't be so worried that you can't enjoy it.

We just returned and used a MasterCard wherever possible. We also took Euros out of ATMs for the time we needed cash.

Check with your credit card company. Many no longer charge a conversion fee. If yours does, you are right in not wanting to use it.

Check with your bank that issues your ATM card. We've never had a conversion fee or a withdrawal fee.

If you find you'll be constantly hit with fees, yes, buy Euros before you go. I've read on this board that AAA is a good place to get them.

Do you need any port suggestions? We did independent tours in Naples, Livorno and Rome.

We have credit cards with no foreign transaction fees (Capital One has them with no annual fee). I always get euro ahead of time from Wells Fargo (Bank of America also has branches that have foreign currency at the branch but you need to call ahead either bank to make sure they have what you are looking for before you go).

We use credit cards everywhere they allow us to. I prefer having the euro to use for the places that will not take cc and we just keep the remaining euro for our next trip.

I know the bank exchange isn't the best rate but I would much rather pay a little more ahead of time than worry about needing to get it where I am going.

We order Euros from AAA. Exchange rate is reasonable (much better than trying to change cash at the airport and pay a bad exchange rate topped off with a commission fee).

Agreed should never change cash at the airport. But I've also never been to an airport that didn't have an ATM somewhere.

Oh ... wait ... I take that back ... Madrid. The one ATM machine in the whole terminal was out of order. :mad:

By all means, order a couple of hundred euros ahead of time, so you can be operational as soon as you arrive. That's not a huge sum of money. I'm saying not to purchase thousands of euros ahead of time and come to Europe with all that cash in your pocket (or in your shoes or in your bra or wherever). That's just asking for trouble.

One of my capital one cards does not charge me any fee's to use it internationally so I plan on using that when ever possible

Then I found out one of my bank accounts will refund me all ATM fee's so I will use that to withdraw money when I need to

ATM's are plentiful & will work with most major bank cards. Use ones attached to a bank during hours the bank is open, just in case there is a problem.

Some places are only able to take credit cards if it is a chip/ pin set up, for some reason restaurants seem to have difficulty.

Check with your banker about ways of keeping fees to a minimum.

Never use a credit card at an ATM to get cash. You will be charged a cash advance fee and the cash advance will start earning interest charges from the moment you make the transaction, even if you pay it off in 30 days.

Only use a credit card to make purchases. Use credit cards with no foreign transaction fees. Google "no foreign transaction fee credit cards" for a list.

Many European credit machines are "chip only". Most new US credit cards now have a chip. Some unmanned European ticket kiosks require "chip and pin". Not a problem if you're not taking any public transportation where tickets are sold only by machine. There are very few US credit cards that are "chip and pin", most are "chip and signature". Google "chip and pin credit cards".

I personally carry a "Barclaycard Arrival +" card that is chip and pin technology, has no foreign transaction fee and earns 2X points on purchases, but carries an $89 annual fee starting the second year. I'll probably cancel and switch before the fee is due; there will be other chip and pin cards by then.

Use a Debit Card for ATM cash. This is your own money, drawn from your own checking account, so there are no cash advance fees or interest. Of course, you have to pre-load your checking account with enough cash to handle your anticipated needs; figure on twice as much as you intend to spend. Find and use a Debit Card with no ATM fees. Google "no atm fee debit cards".

I personally use a Schwab Bank High Yield Checking Account which issues a Platinum Debit Card that is Chip and Pin, with no foreign transaction fees and no atm fees (if you are asked to pay a fee, Schwab reimburses you for the fee on your monthly statement). You will have to open a Schwab One brokerage account and the checking account, but you do not have to maintain any balance in the brokerage account,and don't have to use it. Use this link..

With any card, if you are given the opportunity to enter a 4 digit PIN number, do not start the numb er with a zero or it will not work in Europe.

All this is based on nearly 10 years experience including many European cruises. We are currently getting ready to sail a 180-day Around-The-World cruise on Oceania Insignia, beginning Jan 4, 2016, so this information is critical to us.

Since this is your first trip to Europe, it is important to know to call your credit card company BEFORE the trip with your itinerary and tell them where you will be on what date, otherwise, they will likely flag your card as possibly stolen and lock up your account so you cannot use it, which can be a real pain if you are in the middle of trying to buy something somewhere.

If you have an American Express card you can go to an American Express office and get Euros. I typically bring $2,000 US worth for 2 people for a 7 - 10 day cruise plus a couple of credit cards. For us losing this amount of money would be annoying but it would not be a disaster or spoil our trip. We have special garments for concealing money in transit that it is divided into several places and then I keep most of the money in the safe on the ship and bring only what I need for tours, snacks, drinks, etc. each day. One thing is that we try to dress to look like business people - either on a business trip or who work in the country we are visiting and I don't carry a purse or backpack or even wear any jewelry other than cheap obviously fake stuff and my camera is small and fits in a pocket so there's nothing obvious to steal from me or my husband. My husband or I conceal an extra credit card and some cash under the lining of a shoe. Since we wear European type walking shoes, this is very easy to do and you can't feel it. That way, if we did get pickpocketed, we would still have money and a credit card for the rest of the trip and to get back to the ship.

I've never cruised Europe, but I have travelled there frequently, and I actually just recently returned from four days in Rome. Most restaurants and shops took credit cards, but many smaller vendors and establishments didn't, so I would definitely want to have some cash on me. While it wasn't my experience universally, it seemed like most things that cost under 20 euros were expected to be paid in cash.

I try to pay what I can with a no-fee credit card. For cash, like hondorner, I have a Charles Schwab checking account that reimburses all ATM fees. If you travel frequently, or even infrequently, it's a great account to have so you can access your cash without fees.

Agreed should never change cash at the airport. But I've also never been to an airport that didn't have an ATM somewhere.

Oh ... wait ... I take that back ... Madrid. The one ATM machine in the whole terminal was out of order. :mad:

Madrid is one of the biggest Clusters. You go down thee levels underground to do a passport check, then back up, once you`re in the US bound area-no restaurants/bars just food machines and you can`t get back out. Lines everywhere, the food we did get stunk. And the thing is brand new!

Edited by TNCruzer56

Never use a credit card at an ATM to get cash. You will be charged a cash advance fee and the cash advance will start earning interest charges from the moment you make the transaction, even if you pay it off in 30 days.

Only use a credit card to make purchases. Use credit cards with no foreign transaction fees. Google "no foreign transaction fee credit cards" for a list.

Many European credit machines are "chip only". Most new US credit cards now have a chip. Some unmanned European ticket kiosks require "chip and pin". Not a problem if you're not taking any public transportation where tickets are sold only by machine. There are very few US credit cards that are "chip and pin", most are "chip and signature". Google "chip and pin credit cards".

I personally carry a "Barclaycard Arrival +" card that is chip and pin technology, has no foreign transaction fee and earns 2X points on purchases, but carries an $89 annual fee starting the second year. I'll probably cancel and switch before the fee is due; there will be other chip and pin cards by then.

Use a Debit Card for ATM cash. This is your own money, drawn from your own checking account, so there are no cash advance fees or interest. Of course, you have to pre-load your checking account with enough cash to handle your anticipated needs; figure on twice as much as you intend to spend. Find and use a Debit Card with no ATM fees. Google "no atm fee debit cards".

I personally use a Schwab Bank High Yield Checking Account which issues a Platinum Debit Card that is Chip and Pin, with no foreign transaction fees and no atm fees (if you are asked to pay a fee, Schwab reimburses you for the fee on your monthly statement). You will have to open a Schwab One brokerage account and the checking account, but you do not have to maintain any balance in the brokerage account,and don't have to use it. Use this link..

With any card, if you are given the opportunity to enter a 4 digit PIN number, do not start the numb er with a zero or it will not work in Europe.

All this is based on nearly 10 years experience including many European cruises. We are currently getting ready to sail a 180-day Around-The-World cruise on Oceania Insignia, beginning Jan 4, 2016, so this information is critical to us.

agree with most of this. We did the Adriatic and pretty much behaved like at home. Had to get the dopey Kunas in Croatia-100 for 2 beers!!! But the scenery and peeps were spectacular!!!

I find the comments about ATM fees interesting.

I've used my ATM card all over the world and never had an ATM fee ... either from the foreign bank or my own bank.

I guess it's because I'm careful to always use an ATM machine which works with the network my card is on but that's only a guess.

I find the comments about ATM fees interesting.

I've used my ATM card all over the world and never had an ATM fee ... either from the foreign bank or my own bank.

I guess it's because I'm careful to always use an ATM machine which works with the network my card is on but that's only a guess.

I actually find it exhilarating to use my Schwab debit card in non-network banks (actually, I guess all banks are non -network as Schwab has no bricks and mortar banks and does not belong to a network). It's kind of fun to see the question on ATM machine, "There is a $4.00 fee. Do you want to continue?" I gleefully enter "Yes" because I know that $4.00 will be refunded in my next statement.

OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea :D.

Bring some Euros with you but don't go overboard because it can be a pain to change them back to dollars. Bring a credit card just in case. Most shops accept dollars, Euros and GBP. They would try and guess what country you were from and yell out prices based on that.

If you use a small bank like me, call in advance to arrange for currency exchange.

Thank you all so much! This is great information. I have called my cc companies and will head to the bank today to check in with them. Sounds like a combination of both cash & cc's work best. I plan on getting some euros before I leave and taking one good cc and my debit card with me.