Life Jackets in cabin

SAS21

Again, why are we trying to convince people that they don't need a life jacket in their cabin? If someone can get one from their cabin attendant, why does anyone else care? :confused:

I agree. If it makes the OP feel a bit more secure having one there then there is no harm done. The chances are that there will not be any reason to use one. The reason for requesting it is more psychological than practical (hence the Linus pic) but someone feeling secure is going to make them less nervous and hence safer.

I agree. If it makes the OP feel a bit more secure having one there then there is no harm done. The chances are that there will not be any reason to use one. The reason for requesting it is more psychological than practical (hence the Linus pic) but someone feeling secure is going to make them less nervous and hence safer.

I agree

except I don't trust most cruisers to maintain control in a stressful situation that would require me to wear a PFD

I was just stating I had personal knowledge of why you don't inflate in the cabin and I wasn't speaking without knowledge. I definitely didn't mean to imply you were wrong, I tremendously respect your opinion and posts on this forum.

It seems you agree with me when you say that you used a dry suit + inflatable PFD, as opposed to foam flotation on the helicopters.

As far as seat cushions go, people would be more likely to let go of them to swim, than to remove their PFD. Although people are very irrational in a panic, so who knows what would actually happen, until it does.

I completely agree, but can you foresee a situation when wearing a vest indoors, away from the muster station would increase the survivablility of a pax? Assuming they had a PFD with them, just un-donned?

BTW: This is the case I remembered for the Concordia:

Yes, I agree with you in regards to airplane (or in my training, helicopters).

The reason that folks were instructed to don the lifejacket really has nothing to do with needing it before getting to the muster station. The proper way to stow a lifejacket is to open the straps out all the way, and then wrap the straps around the jacket a couple of times and clip the end to the jacket. If brought to muster in this condition, it is perfectly safe. However, once at station, and you don it for drill, you will adjust the straps to fit. Now, once drill is over, how many passengers do you think will pull the straps all the way out again, wrap them up, and clip it? About 0%. So, they will carry them back to their cabins with the straps and plastic clips dragging, causing trip hazards to the crowds returning their jackets to their cabins, and usually breaking the clips. Then the cabin steward, in addition to normal duties, has to inspect the lifejackets the day after muster, open the straps, properly stow them, and notify the deck department of any jackets that are damaged. Also, the muster stations on deck are crowded enough without everyone trying to put their lifejacket on, while muster is being taken. For these reasons, it was decided by the maritime safety experts at the IMO that the lifejackets should be donned in the cabins, where there is room, and where there would be no hazard from improperly carrying the jackets.

Now that the muster stations are indoors, with the lifejackets at those locations, the way the actual evacuation would occur would be that once muster is completed, if the decision to abandon ship has been made, the muster leader will have a group called out (one or two boat loads), issue lifejackets to them, have them put them on, and lead them to the waiting boats.

I guess I understand the "security blanket" aspect of this, and its probably my parochial view and experience, but I notice things like the glow in the dark decals showing where fire extinguishers and lifejackets are stowed, so that wherever I am onboard, I can find everything I'm looking for. I'm not paranoid about it, but it has just become second nature to me, and occupies a small area at the back of my brain (running a background program if you will) that I know at least two routes to get from wherever I am to my cabin or my muster station. While in an emergency situation, I don't advocate what others have said on this and the "not enough lifeboat thread" about going off solo to save themselves, I will follow instructions, but I will also follow the first rule of safety: The person most responsible for your safety is the person you see in the mirror.

As for the Concordia victims, I don't believe that the fact they were found wearing their lifejackets had any correlation to their fate. Whether they were wearing lifejackets or not, the most likely cause of their demise was disorientation in the dark, in a ship where they really didn't know their way around when lit.

Again, why are we trying to convince people that they don't need a life jacket in their cabin? If someone can get one from their cabin attendant, why does anyone else care? :confused:

Did you forget which website you are posting to?

I personally don't care either way. However, I thought this was a community where people help each other, give opinions, make friends, etc. Maybe I am on here for the wrong reasons?

I personally don't care either way. However, I thought this was a community where people help each other, give opinions, make friends, etc. Maybe I am on here for the wrong reasons?

You left out beating dead horses into submission. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the old days when you went to muster, you had to bring your jacket. I also remember people dragging them,trying to walk with them, tripping over the straps, and a bunch of other things. Now picture 4000 - 6000 going up, than down stairs. A two way traffic jam, while trying to get life jackets.

I would much rather have all stairs going in one direction, to the muster deck.

I just can't imagine the mayhem that would occur if everyone tried to go to their rooms.

I remember the old days when you went to muster, you had to bring your jacket. I also remember people dragging them,trying to walk with them, tripping over the straps, and a bunch of other things. Now picture 4000 - 6000 going up, than down stairs. A two way traffic jam, while trying to get life jackets.

I would much rather have all stairs going in one direction, to the muster deck.

I just can't imagine the mayhem that would occur if everyone tried to go to their rooms.

Aside from our astute mariner in Maine, who has posted above (I always agree with him), what is stated above is EXACTLY what I was just going to state!

All they do whether carried or worn is bog you down, make you larger, and make 20 people seem like 30 when trying to negotiate stairs and passageways.

Indeed, if I am 3 decks above my cabin, the last thing I am doing is returning to get a life vest. If I am in my cabin I'm outta there with no life jacket. I'll get one at muster.

Aside from our astute mariner in Maine, who has posted above (I always agree with him), what is stated above is EXACTLY what I was just going to state!

All they do whether carried or worn is bog you down, make you larger, and make 20 people seem like 30 when trying to negotiate stairs and passageways.

Indeed, if I am 3 decks above my cabin, the last thing I am doing is returning to get a life vest. If I am in my cabin I'm outta there with no life jacket. I'll get one at muster.

Well, I'm a little different to most folks onboard. If I was above my cabin, and not too far distant longitudinally, I would probably go get my lifejacket and bring it, working on the basis of more assets is better than less. On merchant ships, we get into free-fall lifeboats, and launch away from the ship without ever getting wet, but we train to bring our lifejackets and the bulky survival suits as well, even though these can become projectiles when the boat hits the water. If not needed, they can be discarded, but if needed and not to hand, you're in trouble.

You never know when the lifejacket locker in the theater, or the theater itself, could be the scene of the fire, and those lifejackets you counted on were unavailable. In situations like this, on ships where there are jackets in the cabins, the crew assigned to clear the passenger decks would be assigned to round up additional jackets in the interim between the muster and the decision to launch the boats. On those ships without jackets in the cabins, there are additional jackets stowed at muster locations, for this purpose. Also, it is not required that you have a lifejacket on to get into a lifeboat, in most cases it just makes things more difficult, but of course there could come a time when it is needed.

You never know when the lifejacket locker in the theater, or the theater itself, could be the scene of the fire, and those lifejackets you counted on were unavailable. In situations like this, on ships where there are jackets in the cabins, the crew assigned to clear the passenger decks would be assigned to round up additional jackets in the interim between the muster and the decision to launch the boats. On those ships without jackets in the cabins, there are additional jackets stowed at muster locations, for this purpose. Also, it is not required that you have a lifejacket on to get into a lifeboat, in most cases it just makes things more difficult, but of course there could come a time when it is needed.

First let me thank you for all the helpful information that you have provided here and on other threads.

Re the lockers where the lifejackets are stowed (at muster stations and elsewhere), I assume those lockers are not locked, as it would seem insane to have locked, but I thought I would ask, as sometimes there are things that just amaze you. So -- not locked, right?

Thanks.

First let me thank you for all the helpful information that you have provided here and on other threads.

Re the lockers where the lifejackets are stowed (at muster stations and elsewhere), I assume those lockers are not locked, as it would seem insane to have locked, but I thought I would ask, as sometimes there are things that just amaze you. So -- not locked, right?

Thanks.

Good question. If you remember during the Oasis event, someone kept yelling to throw the life jacket. I was curious where they got it assuming there was one actually present.

Thanks.

No, not locked. There will probably be a plastic seal that can be easily broken when the door is opened. This allows for quick checking of emergency equipment, in that if the seal isn't broken, the inventory and condition of equipment would be the same as the last monthly inspection when the seal was installed. If someone sees a broken seal, they can quickly notify the bridge who will send someone to check the contents.

Although not always in my stateroom during the daylight hours, during overnight hours, when we'd have been asleep, we'd have our lifejackets already adjusted for easy donning in case of an emergency. An improperly donned lifejacket is more hazardous than not having one, as you may slip out of it or head not held up out of the water. But given the number of times cruise ship passengers have needed life jackets in the water it's a mute point.

Although not always in my stateroom during the daylight hours, during overnight hours, when we'd have been asleep, we'd have our lifejackets already adjusted for easy donning in case of an emergency. An improperly donned lifejacket is more hazardous than not having one, as you may slip out of it or head not held up out of the water. But given the number of times cruise ship passengers have needed life jackets in the water it's a mute point.

This is okay if all cabin occupants are the same size. Otherwise, you would be fumbling for "my" lifejacket, when you picked up the teen's jacket. Better is to keep straps extended all the way, so that anyone can use it, and simply pull the strap tight.

Even in my cabin on my ship, where I am the sole occupant for months at a time, the lifejacket is stowed with the straps all the way out.

Edited by chengkp75

No, not locked. There will probably be a plastic seal that can be easily broken when the door is opened. This allows for quick checking of emergency equipment, in that if the seal isn't broken, the inventory and condition of equipment would be the same as the last monthly inspection when the seal was installed. If someone sees a broken seal, they can quickly notify the bridge who will send someone to check the contents.

Is there some sort of regulation or agreed upon formula for the number of life jackets kept onboard a cruise ship versus it's total capacity (crew and guests). 1.5X? 2X?

Is there some sort of regulation or agreed upon formula for the number of life jackets kept onboard a cruise ship versus it's total capacity (crew and guests). 1.5X? 2X?

SOLAS only requires 100% lifejackets (plus 10% children's jackets), but every ship I've been on has 125% or more, in use, plus some new ones in stores. Because of the limited time at turn around day, they will change out a block of cabins each week (those ships with them in cabins), and inspect the ones taken out, and these then go into the muster station lockers, and you always have some new ones ready to go, as there will almost always be a jacket that fails inspection.

• 2 months later...

I too would like a life vest in the room. I was the Anthem of Seas during the Hurricane. This was the first cruise I was on that the vests were not in the room . We were told to go our rooms. We were on deck 11. Our muster station was on deck 5. So, just say, the boat did tip all the way over, there was no way we were going to deck 5. To me, it is a strictly monetary decision to only have vests at the muster station. Yes, in an emergency, you may not have time to return to your room. Have them in BOTH places.

I remember the days, when it was time for the drill, watching all the passengers walking up and down the stairs, tripping, bumping, and struggling. Now picture in your head, this very same sight, with a real emergency, and people running up and down 18 flights of steps, possible in low light because they think they need to get their life vest.

The rules for where the vest are, are designed by the coast guard and the companies to prevent issues, and save lives.

So for those that the vest make you feel secure in the stateroom, the same goes true for those that want to make sure they have enough at the muster station.

Panic is real.