Comments from other passengers about what you're wearing.

sparky-elpaso

I find that Alex Krasny's videos are the most helpful for figuring these out. He explains well, demonstrates well, and even reverses the videos so it matches what you'll see in the mirror.

Diagram version -

how_to_tie_the_trinity_knot_tying_instructions.png

Look up a knot called the Atlantic. It's like an inset, rotated Trinity knot.

Krasny did a variation of it he called the Cape Knot that has one more fold before creating the inset so it comes out symetrical. That's actually my go-to knot most days.

Very impressed with the knotting ability on here. Dont suppose anyone with such abilities is available to do a bit of training on eclipse 14 nights jan 24 ? [emoji41]

Perhaps Celebrity should consider introducing such training to coincide with the new Chic thing . much better than the rather ridiculous 'putting' competition they have on the 'lawn'

Have had occasional compliments on something I was wearing, nothing but nice things there. On our Transpacific cruise we encountered a very rude woman in the elevator. Our luggage, which had been the very first deposited with the port handlers in Shanghai, did not arrive in time for dinner. (I was getting very worried at that point as everyone else including our travel partners who put theirs in at the same time had theirs.)

The lady took it upon herself to give DH a lecture on how his clothing was not appropriate for the dining room. It wasn't but there was nothing that could be done about it and other lines we've cruised have made allowances for luggage, lost suitcases, etc. on the first night. I stupidly defended him with the luggage story but should have said, "Who appointed you dress code monitor?"

Have had occasional compliments on something I was wearing, nothing but nice things there. On our Transpacific cruise we encountered a very rude woman in the elevator. Our luggage, which had been the very first deposited with the port handlers in Shanghai, did not arrive in time for dinner. (I was getting very worried at that point as everyone else including our travel partners who put theirs in at the same time had theirs.)

The lady took it upon herself to give DH a lecture on how his clothing was not appropriate for the dining room. It wasn't but there was nothing that could be done about it and other lines we've cruised have made allowances for luggage, lost suitcases, etc. on the first night. I stupidly defended him with the luggage story but should have said, "Who appointed you dress code monitor?"

or perhaps " we lost our luggage is that what happened to your manners?" [emoji33]

A few years ago (on Celebrity Infinity) we stopped for a glass of wine before dinner and at the bar was a "relaxed gentleman" and his wife.

I was wearing a very bright Hawaian type polo shirt, it was not a formal night.

He took one look at me and asked if I was wearing it for a bet.

His wife cringed and my wife looked aghast as to what would ensue.

I am pleased to say that I ordered our wine, ignored the comment and sat down accross the room to watch a most spectacular row ensue between the couple at the bar

• 10 months later...

Wore my mess dress on QM2 New York to Southampton a couple of years ago, and Herself wore a great black evening dress with a cream bolero over it. One or two "You two look lovely!" comments.

Funny story related to it, though - that afternoon, I'm sitting up near the bar by the pool, with my polishing kit, working on my uniform Oxfords. The number of people who stopped to ask what I was doing, like they'd never seen someone polish shoes before in their lives... and one person suggesting I could 'get the staff to do that'. To which I replied, "One man, one kit." From the look on his face, I don't think he got it.

When I was on the phone with Celebrity to put our B2B Infinity cruise on hold, the agent told me that there are no more formal nights, that the dressiest we'd need to get was nice jeans and top. What? I'd never wear jeans in the MDR and definetly not on Chic night.

DH will not be bringing his tux for Alaska, but will have a dinner jacket and yes, we have always been complimented by other guests, crew and officers. We like to dress up, aren't cruises supposed to be special? DH always goes shopping with me for a new cruise dress for every cruise and then we pick him out a co-ordinated shirt and tie. :D

No we are not cutsey, but the pre cruise shopping with him is fun! :)

have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to wear crocks

Have you ever worn them? They are not the best looking things but are so comfortable. When I see others wearing them all I can think of is that they have happy feet.

My GF and I are on the younger side of cruise patrons (early thirties) and most people our ages don't like formal dress. On the other hand, I bought my first tux at 18 when I saw a fantastic vintage Bill Bass dinner jacket in an upscale used clothing store that fit like a glove. As such, we usually get a lot of compliments on formal nights when I'm in my tux and she's in her gown, usually from people asking why other young people don't dress up.

Our last cruise was the first one I didn't wear the tux due to luggage restrictions. On formal night I wore a black sports coat, shirt, and trousers with a plain, lavender tie. Fairly simple but it highlighted a rather intricate tie knot. Most people didn't notice it but the few who did kept asking, "How?!?!"

trinity-knot-purple-300x300.jpeg

(note: not me in the picture but the same knot and same color tie)

Absolutely love the knot.

2 years ago - a 2 week cruise on Eclipse in the Caribbean for our 20th Anniversary - no we are not spring chickens at the age of 56 & 59 (then). I had a lady approach me towards the end of the cruise and she called me the "dress lady". Telling me how much she and her husband had enjoyed watching my husband and I during the cruise as we had dressed so nice. DH in his tux and also his white dinner jacket - I took 4 long gowns for 3 formal nights :D -- it was magical, romantic beyond words. Sadly those days are gone as of this week but we have the memories. Yes - the dress lady has no intention of changing but the ambiance will be gone.

I remember all your gowns hanging in your room. Well worth the time to bring them all. You always did look fabulous everyday.

We had negative comments happen to us. Last winter, we sailed Reflection, and one day we were having lunch on the private island. We are from New England, and DH was wearing a Patriots hat and t shirt. This was just after the Deflategate controversy broke. Anyway, another couple (middle aged) were sitting near us, and the man greets us with "Hello, cheaters." He then proceeds to tell his wife, loudly and in great detail, his opinion that the Patriots would never have won anything if they didn't cheat, and so on. It was very uncomfortable. Of course, everyone is entitled to their thoughts on this scandal, but I have no idea why he thought it was OK to harass us about it.

There are always some rude and inconsiderate morons on board.

I think it's lovely that so many men on this thread can remember what their wives wore on previous cruises, and remember their being complimented on their attire. And some of you even know "technical" fashion terms like bolero, piping, etc. Wow! I'm very impressed! :) My DH would be hard pressed to tell me even the colour of any of the dresses I have hanging in my closet, and he certainly could not recall what I was wearing on our last cruise.

With all the hoopla about dress codes I was wondering if anyone had ever had another passenger(s) make a comment about what you chose to wear - and how you handled it. Let's include both good and bad comments.

Our story:

DH and I happened to be wearing similar colors one evening - I think he had on a red shirt and I was wearing a red blouse. Another passenger made a comment about us "matching" - I don't remember the exact words but it just stopped short of a "Bobbsey Twins" sort of thing. It was definitely not a compliment.

I was so surprised that anyone would make such a comment to a stranger I couldn't think of a comeback. We just walked away.

Now I have a comeback - one that we would use at work when a couple of us would show up dressed in a similar fashion. We would just tell everyone else that we were sorry that they hadn't "gotten the memo" about what we were supposed to wear that day. Of course, at work it was all in fun with folks you know. :)

Several years back on Cunard this guy came into the Britannia MDR dressed in a wife beater T shirt & trashy looking cargo shorts. It was formal night as well. I walked up to him & asked him to leave & get properly dressed. The Maître D came over & inquired about the "problem here". I said this is totally unacceptable dress on formal night. The guy was about 6ft 5" tall. Yeah, a big dude. He had a trashy "NYFD" tat on his arm(God, it looked like it was done by the guy himself). The Maître D quietly whispered to me.."We don't like to upset paying customers!" Really!? Was it that or the fact the guy was 6ft-5? I threatened to go to the MGT over this. The guy was finally booted out, we never saw him again. The pax at his table told me the guy was planning this as a protest against the dress codes of Cunard. I know some would be aghast at my comments, but sorry, at least show some respect to the dress codes & your fellow pax! As for comments on my dress..I got good remarks about my derby or 1920's straw hat that I'd wear on certain nights. Oh, yes, I do remove them upon entering the theater or dining rooms.

Edited by keithm
grammar correction.

.I got good remarks about my derby or 1920's straw hat that I'd wear on certain nights. Oh, yes, I do remove them upon entering the theater or dining rooms.

Why is it on in the interior of the ship at all? You remove them when entering a building, not only certain areas of a building. I'd think someone obsessed with decorum would know how it works.

I think it's lovely that so many men on this thread can remember what their wives wore on previous cruises, and remember their being complimented on their attire. And some of you even know "technical" fashion terms like bolero, piping, etc. Wow! I'm very impressed! :) My DH would be hard pressed to tell me even the colour of any of the dresses I have hanging in my closet, and he certainly could not recall what I was wearing on our last cruise.

Herself has me well-trained, Ma'am. :)

The irony involved in these "dress code" threads is always rather amusing. I mean others are "boorish" for commenting on someone's attire -- that is until "we" don't like what someone else is wearing -- then "we" are simply standing up for the "respect" of dress codes and other passengers. :rolleyes: I mean if someone came up to me and told me to leave the dining room because he didn't like what I was wearing -- I'd simply tell him to "Shove off, unless you are prepared to give me the money I paid for this cruise. Then I might actually care what you thought."

If someone else's attire really causes you angst and "ruins" your vacation, you may want to simply rent a beach house where you don't have to see anyone else. People really do look for things to "ruin" their good times.

How other people dress has never had any impact on my enjoyment of a cruise.

Mike

Evening chic was pretty laid back our Solstice Alaska cruise in August. We did see one couple dressed in tux and evening gown and I stopped to tell them how wonderful they looked. We were in Luminae and specialties so only brought smart casual but still enjoyed changing for dinner and putting on jewelry that I don't regularly wear... I suppose I should just wear it.

Having attended many a work-related formal event before we retired, my wife and I have no desire to dress formally now when we are enjoying retirement. At the same time, we refuse to join those who delight in trying to flout the published dress codes. Therefore, on formal nights we have always dined in specialty restaurants where we can legitimately keep to our usual standard of smart casual. One evening, before X ended formal nights, I was standing alone in an open area wearing a button-down dress shirt and dress slacks. A small group of people walked by, quite elegantly dressed. One woman looked at me, turned to her husband and said (a little too loudly) "What a crime"! Frankly, I was too amused to reply- and did not care enough to bother. Guilty as charged, I guess.

The irony involved in these "dress code" threads is always rather amusing. I mean others are "boorish" for commenting on someone's attire -- that is until "we" don't like what someone else is wearing -- then "we" are simply standing up for the "respect" of dress codes and other passengers. :rolleyes: I mean if someone came up to me and told me to leave the dining room because he didn't like what I was wearing -- I'd simply tell him to "Shove off, unless you are prepared to give me the money I paid for this cruise. Then I might actually care what you thought."

If someone else's attire really causes you angst and "ruins" your vacation, you may want to simply rent a beach house where you don't have to see anyone else. People really do look for things to "ruin" their good times.

How other people dress has never had any impact on my enjoyment of a cruise.

Mike

We all know how others are dressed has a direct effect on how our food tastes.

The common theme from these dress threads seems to be that those offended or bothered by what others wear into the dining room are very small minority. So how does this small minority still hold so much sway over the dress code?

I wonder if these same people stand at their church entrance and deny entrance to those who don't meet their dress code. I'd rather sit next to a person in a wife beater and shabby shorts who minds their own business than a well dressed snob who makes everyone else's attire their business. The days of a shoe salesman wearing a suit and tie are long gone.

Why is it on in the interior of the ship at all? You remove them when entering a building, not only certain areas of a building. I'd think someone obsessed with decorum would know how it works.

I consider walking to the rest. or theater on a ship like walking down the street in a city as such.

We all know how others are dressed has a direct effect on how our food tastes.

The common theme from these dress threads seems to be that those offended or bothered by what others wear into the dining room are very small minority. So how does this small minority still hold so much sway over the dress code?

I wonder if these same people stand at their church entrance and deny entrance to those who don't meet their dress code. I'd rather sit next to a person in a wife beater and shabby shorts who minds their own business than a well dressed snob who makes everyone else's attire their business. The days of a shoe salesman wearing a suit and tie are long gone.

Fine. YOU sit next to the slob! When cruising on a line that HAS a strict dress code, such as Cunard, I follow the rules. If I was on a casual line, I'd dress casual. Otherwise I dress smart casual or "figure" out what Chic is.

Fine. YOU sit next to the slob! When cruising on a line that HAS a strict dress code, such as Cunard, I follow the rules. If I was on a casual line, I'd dress casual. Otherwise I dress smart casual or "figure" out what Chic is.

Fine by me as long as I don't have to sit next to the sNob.

I have to say that I do not enjoy a 'special' evening meal, and I consider all meals in a nice rstaurant to be that, without feeling special myself, and that means dressing nicely. And I have enjoyed formal evenings on cruises, not sure what to do on Celebrity yet.

But if I go to a wedding I want to look as though I am dress ed suitably. So I would not go to a themed wedding on rock and roll, dressed in a formal suit and tie, neither would I go to a wedding that have evening suits, ties and formal gowns in jeans and a t shirt. I like to dress appropriately for the ocassion. The difficulty with Celebrity chic is that no one really knows if they are going to look over or under dressed. We are in blu and looking at the photos of the restaurant I would not want to be dressed inappropriately. I guess for me in a restaurant I take how smart the waiters/tresses are as a guide. I really like to look as smart as they look. They play a part in the drama of eating and I think i must do so too.

Well that is the point, isn't it?? You get to dress how YOU want to dress and others dress how THEY want to dress -- then everyone SHOULD be happy.

For the record, I own and bring a tux when a cruise has formal nights. However, I do not expect anyone else to do as I do (and certainly would never demand someone do and/or demean anyone who did not).

It's a VACATION -- why do you give a rat's tutu what anyone else is wearing?

Mike