Comments from other passengers about what you're wearing.

sparky-elpaso

We've only ever heard positive comments and only ever given positive comments to others too. There may have been negative ones, but we never heard them and that's the way it should be. If only everyone would live by the saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

What my poor husband has had to endure is something worse than clothes comments. Some people that feel the need to lecture him on the dangers of tanning when we're trapped in an elevator. It really gets quite old. Often times, they're people that are out of shape and he's not, but he doesn't feel the need to lecture them on their exercise habits and the dangers to their heart. He's finally learned to tell them that he's "Very aware of the dangers. Thank you for your concern." ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We were luggage-less for our entire British Isles cruise. We purchased minimal clothing in Berlin (+ a few more tops for me in Amsterdam). The dressiest I looked was black slacks- rolled up b.c. I'm short and they were too long- with a gold lame top that was a lucky find accompanied by a scarf donated by a roll call member or one I'd purchased in Prague pre-cruise. DH wore long sleeve button down shirts he found at C&A along with size 28 1/2 slacks (he's a 40 here!). My "dress" shoes were gold Docksiders that I'd worn on our airberlin:mad: flight from the US. DH wore the one pair of shoes he'd worn on the flight over.

Every night at the Elite Happy Hour we had comments on how nice we looked from fellow roll call members who knew of our plight. DH would joke that it was great those of us on the cruise were at an age that we probably couldn't remember that our outfits were deja vue all over again!!

I wonder what we would do if the waiters dressed in jeans or the table was set poorly or the floor simply had not been swept.

One of the great things about eating in a nice restaurant is that someone does bother how it looks and pays attention to some detail.

If we don't bother how we dress then it seems to me it is an insult to the staff and whilst we want to tip them for their service, I am sure one of the best ways of saying thank you is for us to take the trouble to look nice.

Unfortunately there are some people who really do not care what they look like at all and to be scruffy or not bother also seems to let the decor down that the staff have spent a good deal of time making it look nice. How customers dress is part of the ambience and enjoyment of the restaurant and if you really can't be bothered to dress as requested in any restaurant, then use one that you will not spoil the ambience that has taken time and trouble to create for customers to enjoy.

A woman I did not know at all came up to me one afternoon on a Celebrity ship and said "I like what you did with your hair today." I said,"Thanks, it's the same wig, I just turned it around the other way!"

I did not bat an eye and the woman took it as a legitimate answer!:eek:

It was worth coming back to this dumb thread just for that comment! Thanks!:D

If we don't bother how we dress then it seems to me it is an insult to the staff and whilst we want to tip them for their service, I am sure one of the best ways of saying thank you is for us to take the trouble to look nice.

Unfortunately there are some people who really do not care what they look like at all and to be scruffy or not bother also seems to let the decor down that the staff have spent a good deal of time making it look nice. How customers dress is part of the ambience and enjoyment of the restaurant and if you really can't be bothered to dress as requested in any restaurant, then use one that you will not spoil the ambience that has taken time and trouble to create for customers to enjoy.

Unfortunately there are people like ourselves without their luggage who've done the best they can to look nice. Thank goodness Celebrity has gone away from formal nights or we'd have been confined to our cabin to avoid offending those who look askance at what others are wearing!

It is up to the cruiseline or restaurants to enforce a dress code, not other patrons.

I wonder what we would do if the waiters dressed in jeans or the table was set poorly or the floor simply had not been swept.

You're trying to equate what they wear with how they do their job which is just nonsense. I've been to many good restaurants where the waiters dress casually and it makes no difference to the service or food.

And no waiter is going to care what their customers are wearing so long as they are polite, friendly and pay their money.

One of the great things about eating in a nice restaurant is that someone does bother how it looks and pays attention to some detail.

Where is the like button? This post is spot on.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately there are people like ourselves without their luggage who've done the best they can to look nice. Thank goodness Celebrity has gone away from formal nights or we'd have been confined to our cabin to avoid offending those who look askance at what others are wearing!

It is up to the cruiseline or restaurants to enforce a dress code, not other patrons.

Why not put nice clothes in a carry on in case luggage is lost?

I dress nicely both for myself and my wife. She has had to look at me across a table for almost 50 years so I try to look the best I can. She does the same for me.:)

To the OP question: One night, back when there WAS a formal night, heading to a specialty restaurant aboard Solstice, I was wearing Dockers, white shirt, sport coat and tie. A "concerned" woman on the elevator said (out loud), "I think formal night is tomorrow". To which I replied, yes, tomorrow night I will dress formally. We didn't see them the next night when I was wearing my tux.

Cheers!

I wear Tux on Formal/Chic nights because frankly, I dress for me and my wife and don't care what anyone else thinks. The only comment I've had about what I'm wearing at any time was on the Reflection in August when, on chic night and wearing my Tux, a man came over to me and said "It's nice to see that some of us have made an effort"...

My husband has worn his full highland dress on all of our cruises with celebrity, he has received many wonderful comments from both fellow cruisers and the crew, with many asking for photographs with him.

We both enjoy our cruises and making an effort with what we wear. A tad disappointed when evening chic was introduced. We are cruising in November on constellation so will be interesting to see the new chic dress code.

As many other posters have said, the comments for those wearing a Tux seem to be on the positive side or comments to a significant other about "See how good that looks, that's why YOU should wear a tux." has me leaning toward taking the plunge. Alas, having difficulty losing the formerly-lost pounds re-found on the last couple trips keeps me from taking the plunge just yet. I do still regret a few years back when the local TJ Maxx lucked into a cache of slick Hugo Boss tuxedos they had for $399 each. Woulda coulda shoulda.

I still think my best tale on this is I wear my hair shoulder-length, have quite the selection of 'interesting and unusual' jeans and a few years ago DW determined I was cool enough for that white leather jacket found on a clearance rack marked down from "obscene" to "barely acceptable."

These two older couples in the Concierge Lounge motion me over to them and sheepishly but totally seriously ask if I'm a "rock person" or in a band they should know about. I admitted I wasn't figuring any story I might concoct, Wikipedia and Google could shoot holes there in seconds.

Why not put nice clothes in a carry on in case luggage is lost?

Because your carry on should have your most needed and most used items, which would be clothes you would wear during the day to tour. I was on the Silhouette with Barb (TMLAalum) and her husband during the time she had no luggage. They purchased some items before boarding and always managed to look nice every evening at the elite cocktail hour. I think they handled a situation that could have put a real damper on a trip with ease and a very positive attitude. I not sure I would have handled this as well as she did. (This was a 2 week cruise) . What we wear is not as important as the people we meet and the memories we bring home.

It was a pleasure meeting you Barb and we hope to meet up with you again, this time with your luggage (and glad to hear it was waiting for you at the airport).

Jane & Ron

Because your carry on should have your most needed and most used items, which would be clothes you would wear during the day to tour. I was on the Silhouette with Barb (TMLAalum) and her husband during the time she had no luggage. They purchased some items before boarding and always managed to look nice every evening at the elite cocktail hour. I think they handled a situation that could have put a real damper on a trip with ease and a very positive attitude. I not sure I would have handled this as well as she did. (This was a 2 week cruise) . What we wear is not as important as the people we meet and the memories we bring home.

It was a pleasure meeting you Barb and we hope to meet up with you again, this time with your luggage (and glad to hear it was waiting for you at the airport).

Jane & Ron

We enjoyed our time with you both, Jane & Ron! I appreciate the kind words about our dress during happy hour- we were fortunate to have been able to buy the clothes we needed that we felt were somewhat comparable to what we've worn on our other Celebrity cruises.

Once we were aboard the Silhouette, our great roll call which led to new friends like yourselves and wonderful ports made it very easy to be upbeat despite the missing bags.

Barb

DH is 9 years older than me and I am frequently told I look considerably younger than my 45 years (good Italian skin I guess), while he is fully gray-haired (and handsome!). Not long after we were married (I was 40, he was 49) someone commented to me on formal night (Princess cruise) when we were together on the elevator that I was lucky to have such a handsome and well-dressed dad. You can imagine how DH felt about getting dressed up again after that :eek:

I didn't have a reply ready because it was the first (but not last) time someone made that mistake. Now when it happens I tell the person I'm not his daughter, I'm his trophy wife :D