Comments from other passengers about what you're wearing.

sparky-elpaso

I don't recall ever having been "critiqued" for what I've worn. Furthermore, I don't recall ever giving a rodent's hairy posterior what anyone else thought. At 40 years old and married for 14, I am well past the need to appeal to anyone other than my wife.

My GF and I are on the younger side of cruise patrons (early thirties) and most people our ages don't like formal dress. On the other hand, I bought my first tux at 18 when I saw a fantastic vintage Bill Bass dinner jacket in an upscale used clothing store that fit like a glove. As such, we usually get a lot of compliments on formal nights when I'm in my tux and she's in her gown, usually from people asking why other young people don't dress up.

Our last cruise was the first one I didn't wear the tux due to luggage restrictions. On formal night I wore a black sports coat, shirt, and trousers with a plain, lavender tie. Fairly simple but it highlighted a rather intricate tie knot. Most people didn't notice it but the few who did kept asking, "How?!?!"

trinity-knot-purple-300x300.jpeg

(note: not me in the picture but the same knot and same color tie)

2 years ago - a 2 week cruise on Eclipse in the Caribbean for our 20th Anniversary - no we are not spring chickens at the age of 56 & 59 (then). I had a lady approach me towards the end of the cruise and she called me the "dress lady". Telling me how much she and her husband had enjoyed watching my husband and I during the cruise as we had dressed so nice. DH in his tux and also his white dinner jacket - I took 4 long gowns for 3 formal nights :D -- it was magical, romantic beyond words. Sadly those days are gone as of this week but we have the memories. Yes - the dress lady has no intention of changing but the ambiance will be gone.

Jane, we can commiserate at the bar on the formerly formal nights with a drink before dinner. Trust me, my wife and I will be dressed up. ;)

Bob doesn't usually bring his kilt anymore but I enjoy the compliments he's received in the past. He's usually embarrassed by the attention.

From our cabin stewart with a rather shy smile:"Nice dress sir!" Guess he'd never been out and about on formal nights, too busy serving.

From a fellow passenger in the elevator: Whistle followed by, Nice Legs!"

And from a friend when looking at wedding pictures of our kids: "My goodness, I didn't know you were a cross dresser."

I loved dressing in the plainest of outfits to allow my modest peacock to shine.

Ruth

I think it's awesome when I see someone wearing a kilt on formal night. It's unique and speaks to the character of the man wearing it.

It is nice to receive compliments from strangers who have nothing to gain from their comments. Two occasions stand out

Once. rather late in the evening, as we passed Customer Relations, one of the officers called us over and told us that every time he had seen us, we were dressed so nicely and he appreciated it..

The second occasion was back in the old days when people wore tuxes and gowns. We were standing on the steps , having our pictures taken (another thing we won't be doing) and as we descended. a woman came up and told us what a handsome couple were . (My wife is a beauty and I benefit from it) But as Jane 2357 noted, those days are gone forever.

My wife is a true Southern lady who always is quick to compliment whether it is a tie, a dress, a ring, or even a man's beard. It's nice to be in the company of such a gracious woman, and I love her for it.

Edited by BosoxI

I'm pretty sure we will all still be able to compliment others who are dressed nicely even though formal night is now "evening chic" night! At least, I didn't read anything about "compliments are no longer allowed!" :)

Edited by bottomfeeder

With all the hoopla about dress codes I was wondering if anyone had ever had another passenger(s) make a comment about what you chose to wear - and how you handled it. Let's include both good and bad comments.
I think it is pretty standard for stateroom attendants / butlers to tell you how nice you look on formal nights if you are dressed up.

Also, for someone like the Captain's Club hostess to compliment you, or your mother or aunt or spouse, of course.

As for how to handle it, a simple thank you is usually appropriate (unless it is coming from your smart aleck kid, obviously being sarcastic).:rolleyes:

If somebody else is really dressed up, or wearing something unusual that stands out, I like to say something to them about how nice they look, especially if the person is not particularly attractive or influential.

Why not take the opportunity to brighten someone else's day, something that costs you nothing.

I'm pretty sure we will all still be able to compliment others who are dressed nicely even though formal night is now "evening chic" night! At least, I didn't read anything about "compliments are no longer allowed!" :)

My goodness, the "days that are gone forever" are "the old days when people dressed in tuxes and gowns" and have nothing to do with compliments being allowed.

Edited by BosoxI

A few years ago my husband wore an unusual pair of cuff links on both formal nights and our waiter loved them. He admired them so much that on our last night, along with his tip, my DH presented him with the cuff links. They were not particularly expensive but you would have thought he had been given the Crown Jewels. Made my cruise.

My family was in the elevator, formal night. My Mom was wearing a spectacular suite of Ceylon Sapphires and diamonds she received for her 40th anniversary. A lady got in the lift and looked at them and said "Oh my g-d, those aren't paste are they?" to which my Mom said, "no, I earned the real ones" we all had a good laugh.....All good.

Safe Sails.

Jane, we can commiserate at the bar on the formerly formal nights with a drink before dinner. Trust me, my wife and I will be dressed up. ;)

I think it's awesome when I see someone wearing a kilt on formal night. It's unique and speaks to the character of the man wearing it.

Couldn't agree more Kevin, however the weight of the full Highland Dress outfit makes it a non-starter for me on fly/cruises. I sure looked good on my Wedding day, though lol.

I will still be taking my posh frocks. They are perhaps not spectacular but the sort of clothes it takes a special occasion to wear. I have seen some beautifull robes onboard on formal nights.

I would never criticise anyone to their face but it doesn't stop me thinking that some people are just scruffs. One man walked through blu and I thought it was a workman.

My husband would like to fit into this category but fortunately he has me to set him straight.

One time hubby and I spent most of the days on board in matching Hawwiian shirts (on an Alaskan cruise) We got many compliments and a few odd looks. We will probably "match" some days in a week and a half on our panama canal cruise:]

We cruised with my brother and his wife earlier this year and we boarded and spent the first day wearing matching Aloha shirts. We got a lot of double takes and the rest of the week we were recognized as 'the shirt people'.

The funniest part was that my sister-in-law and I were taken for sisters, while my husband and my brother were taken for a couple :p. It was great fun!ImageUploadedByForums1447420045.250127.jpg.fbccc037db8c5c3a3d929234f72d4430.jpg

Edited by bbeltmom

Prior to a cruise I made my wife a piece of costume jewelry; a ships anchor with (very fake) diamonds. She got asked about it and got compliments everywhere.

Le Fin

Oh, how lovely and romantic! I don't wear jewelry (not even wedding rings or a watch) ever, but if my husband made me a piece of jewelry, I would definitely wear that.

We had negative comments happen to us. Last winter, we sailed Reflection, and one day we were having lunch on the private island. We are from New England, and DH was wearing a Patriots hat and t shirt. This was just after the Deflategate controversy broke. Anyway, another couple (middle aged) were sitting near us, and the man greets us with "Hello, cheaters." He then proceeds to tell his wife, loudly and in great detail, his opinion that the Patriots would never have won anything if they didn't cheat, and so on. It was very uncomfortable. Of course, everyone is entitled to their thoughts on this scandal, but I have no idea why he thought it was OK to harass us about it.

The good:

My wife in a beautiful black dress with gold piping. Me in my tux with my University of Virginia bow tie. As we walked up to the hostess at select dining we hear, "ooh-la-la" from her. :)

The bad:

Sitting in the Molecular bar wearing khakis, button down white shirt, and navy blazer being "tut-tutted" by a woman as she walks by in her gown with her tuxedo wearing husband. Yes, it was formal night. No, I wasn't eating in the main dining room and had reservations in Tuscan. :mad:

Great stories everyone. We saw a group on one of our trips - don't know if it was a family or just a group getting together for dinner. One of the men looked around and said, "We all look good enough to go somewhere."

Appreciate these various fun, cute and/or interesting stories on this thread. Glad most people can take "things" somewhat lightly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,012 views for this posting.

Two stories. One a cruise in the early 2000 I wore my Army mess dress uniform. While waiting for my DW I was asked where the ladies rest room was. Guess they believed I was a crew member. Others got positive comments and free drinks. Before drink packages.

On our last cruise got many good comments about my white dinner jacket. I still plan to wear it in January. It is evening chic!!

Ed R

I often compliment people on what they are wearing. Sometimes it is a matching tie to a wife's dress, and sometime just a pretty outfit a lady is wearing. This usually happens in the elevator where you see people coming and going. Some people smile and thank you, and others look at you like you came from outer space. No reaction whatsoever. It's always interesting to watch the reactions. The only thing that really bothers me is someone in the dining room wearing a ball cap :mad: But, I'd never say anything....what would be the point?

Happy cruising!

Nancy