Comments from other passengers about what you're wearing.

sparky-elpaso

I am happy to report that we have both been complimented often on our choice of dress, mainly I have to say on formal nights. I think men never look smarter than in a sharp cut tux and I always wear long dresses. I also think its the way that you wear them , it helps if it is with a smile!!

We had negative comments happen to us. Last winter, we sailed Reflection, and one day we were having lunch on the private island. We are from New England, and DH was wearing a Patriots hat and t shirt. This was just after the Deflategate controversy broke. Anyway, another couple (middle aged) were sitting near us, and the man greets us with "Hello, cheaters." He then proceeds to tell his wife, loudly and in great detail, his opinion that the Patriots would never have won anything if they didn't cheat, and so on. It was very uncomfortable. Of course, everyone is entitled to their thoughts on this scandal, but I have no idea why he thought it was OK to harass us about it.

They hate us cuz they ain't us! That is always my answer to these lowlifes! When people say stuff like that or bad mouth any of my teams my boyfriend runs the other way, he knows whats coming. Jill

Edited by riredsox

I have a favourite ball gown that I'd worn on P&O and took on our first Celebrity cruise. Was a bit worried about wearing it, but in the lifts it was lovely to hear some wide eyed children saying how pretty it was and later on deck a lady complimented me on the dress as it looked lovely. I'm not a dressy person at all normally and quite insecure in some ways but these comments were lovely and have always stuck with me.

On another note, on another cruise a young woman literally bumped in to a much younger teenager and they were both wearing the same dress. .. it suited one more than the other though. Awkward silence ..... until an elderly lady (wise cruiser) just looked at them both and diffused the situation by saying "You BOTH look beautiful, what good taste you both have!" They both beamed - situation sorted. Will never forget that lady's wisdom :)

Its nice that I've never heard anyone say anything negative to anyone else. :)

Bob doesn't usually bring his kilt anymore but I enjoy the compliments he's received in the past. He's usually embarrassed by the attention.

From our cabin stewart with a rather shy smile:"Nice dress sir!" Guess he'd never been out and about on formal nights, too busy serving.

From a fellow passenger in the elevator: Whistle followed by, Nice Legs!"

And from a friend when looking at wedding pictures of our kids: "My goodness, I didn't know you were a cross dresser."

I loved dressing in the plainest of outfits to allow my modest peacock to shine.

Ruth

Kilts, or military dress uniforms will always get a compliment from me!

I love walking up to a total stranger and complimenting them how nice they look. I am so hoping the dress code change does not make people stop trying at all. I know I feel so good when I put in the extra effort to look my best, and somebody noticing and commenting is just icing on the cake.

Kilts, or military dress uniforms will always get a compliment from me! .
This reminds me of a guy who used to enjoy wearing his air force mess dress uniform on formal nights just because some passengers would think he was the captain and come over and ask him questions. He would never correct them and loved making up all sorts of answers that were totally ridiculous.

On another note, on another cruise a young woman literally bumped in to a much younger teenager and they were both wearing the same dress. .. it suited one more than the other though. Awkward silence ..... until an elderly lady (wise cruiser) just looked at them both and diffused the situation by saying "You BOTH look beautiful, what good taste you both have!" They both beamed - situation sorted. Will never forget that lady's wisdom :)
Most likely that elderly lady had seen Hollywood red carpet type events years ago where 2 women would show up wearing the same dress.

The standard gracious reply was always to compliment the other woman on her good taste and then for both women to pose together, smiling for the photographers.

That may have been what led to the magazines starting those cruel "who wore it best" features, since controversy always attracts more attention than harmony.

It seems rather silly that at such affairs men are expected to dress alike, but women are not supposed to do that unless wearing a uniform of some kind.

Edited by varoo

I haven't had any comments about my outfits but I've just returned from a cruise and received 5 lovely comments about my sparkly Sketchers trainers. Indeed, since I bought them I've received endless comments from total strangers around our local shopping mall and on a previous cruise. I knew they were worth buying! As far as what we wear - husband and I are so ordinary that if we received any comment at all about our clothing I'd be pretty chuffed.

My GF and I are on the younger side of cruise patrons (early thirties) and most people our ages don't like formal dress. On the other hand, I bought my first tux at 18 when I saw a fantastic vintage Bill Bass dinner jacket in an upscale used clothing store that fit like a glove. As such, we usually get a lot of compliments on formal nights when I'm in my tux and she's in her gown, usually from people asking why other young people don't dress up.

Our last cruise was the first one I didn't wear the tux due to luggage restrictions. On formal night I wore a black sports coat, shirt, and trousers with a plain, lavender tie. Fairly simple but it highlighted a rather intricate tie knot. Most people didn't notice it but the few who did kept asking, "How?!?!"

trinity-knot-purple-300x300.jpeg

(note: not me in the picture but the same knot and same color tie)

How ? ! [emoji33]

Please tell-well jealous 🤓

Oh, how lovely and romantic! I don't wear jewelry (not even wedding rings or a watch) ever, but if my husband made me a piece of jewelry, I would definitely wear that.

It is just for fun / cruising. $10 of stuff from the craft store well worth it. :D Neither of us wear any jewelry regularly except for myself one small bracelet.

My Mom and I do sometimes get lovely compliments about out formal night dresses. More so with the cheaper £40 ones then the ones the cost 3 times that.

I do get more compliments on my jewellery though. Majority of mine is costume jewellery which hasn't cost more then £2-3 which is nice and everyone is shocked when I tell them I brought it from the local market for a couple of quid ;)

Oh and Cruise_Dancer, you must tell us how that knot is done! I've asked a lot of the men at work and they have no idea but the younger ones think it's cool and would love to know how it's done or even what it's called?

On our last cruise, the Baltic, our days were so full that we didn't realize it was a formal night. Usually my husband is in his tux and I wear a sparkly top and crepe bottom. This particular evening we got on the elevator to go to the MDR and it was full with people who were beautifully dressed. I immediately realize our mistake and thought we would not be seated. Husband did have on a sports jacket but I was in my non-formal night attire. One woman commented that we looked so nice. And I knew she was being sarcastic. Well, when we got to the dinning room the maitre'd said it was no problem. So in all our cruises that was the first time anyone had commented on our attire.

On a recent cruise, 'smart casual' night, both DH & I were dressed very nicely - probably dark slacks and nice shirt for him, dressier top for me. On the way back up to our room after dinner, we rode in the elevator with a group of people, mostly younger than us in more casual clothes, and one middle-age man. During the ride, the man looked us both up and down and said "So...are you going to wear that all evening?" I was somewhat stunned, but managed to answer "No, I plan on being in my pajamas in about 10 minutes." In afterthought, we suspect that he was the DJ, based on what he was wearing and some sort of a badge, which I wish I had read.

I will continue to wear my fancy pants outfits, and Mr. Pcur will continue with his dark sports coat and tie. I always make a point to compliment some woman whose outfit I find especially attractive, because we girls secretly love other women to find our clothes attractive.

1377905098_Bronzetop.jpg.f6ddaac8e8e7b1acb4044b3e0cf48ed6.jpg

1186875249_LiznMefloraljacket.jpg.121fba980122da3386eb7056e8e8043e.jpg

237989124_Seafoamsheerjkt.jpg.5143501b66a8e6e74a748070ad68bbf1.jpg

618140316_Turquoisesparklysuit.jpg.0e58cb0d49cf962e50d5fa94e4de5982.jpg

111180251_UllaPopkennavyeveningpantsuit.jpg.c438ce0939896fa32a6d7eb235fcc779.jpg

Not really verbal comments but really nasty looks all evening long when I came to dinner in jean capri's and a Celebrity t-shirt as my luggage was still lost on day 6 of Mediterranean 14 day cruise. Finally showed up on day 7. The staff was so understanding but my the looks I got! Just made the best of it.

cobeck, this is why I feel bad when people find the need to comment on other's attire! Cheers to you for making the very best of a bad situation. We would have welcomed you at our table for sure. Live life and make the best of every minute no matter what others think. We actually don't care any more what others think of us we don't know them and will probably never see them again. And, we do follow the rules but would never impose our standards on anyone else...or let it affect our enjoyment of our time onboard. Again, so glad you were still able to enjoy your time as it would have been very stressful for most of us.

The entire dress code thing is much ado about nothing. My DW and I dress nicely each evening - she in a dressy top and black skirt and I in a shirt, slacks, sport coat and usually a tie. Our moose continues to wear medium brown fur, a blue sweater (or jumper for those from the UK and Australia) and light brown antlers. He has always been provided a booster chair and refused service for a glass of wine as he is still underage. See avatar picture.

The entire dress code thing is much ado about nothing. My DW and I dress nicely each evening - she in a dressy top and black skirt and I in a shirt, slacks, sport coat and usually a tie. Our moose continues to wear medium brown fur, a blue sweater (or jumper for those from the UK and Australia) and light brown antlers. He has always been provided a booster chair and refused service for a glass of wine as he is still underage. See avatar picture.

DH and I would love to cruise with you and moose. I take it he enjoys having his photo taken partaking in various activities. :)

Glad to hear most folks have had positive experiences.