just off Oosterdam Nov 16

wntgoislnds

We had a great time! met some very nice people. B.B. King was very enjoyable. Very talented all! (we wore ear plugs)

Smokers on aft pool no problem but the piped in music playing the same stuff over and over was way too loud. We asked to turn it down because we had to yell over it to talk and the people trying to read and relax got no peace.

Pinnacle was not good for us. Caneletto was a real treat!

Dancing with the stars was cheesey and fun and I won! :D The dance teachers were lots of fun.

All in all, exceeded out expectations.

We also just disembarked this cruise and would agree that we met some nice folks as well and though this was my 50th cruise since 1978 and 10th overall with HAL, it exceeded our expectations and overall I think things are improved in the last couple years rather than cut back or dumbed down.

A few observations and comments on topics that get a lot of discussion:

Condition of the ship - Even though she is due for drydock in the Spring, very good condition overall. The only real wear in evidence was the top step on some flights of stairs. Plumbing and HVAC in our cabin worked flawlessly.

Demographic - Certainly a largely senior crowd, but many more younger people than I have seen previously on HAL, a few families and some starting in their 20's increasing through 30's, 40's and 50's. (I am 56 for the record)

The Band - Not great, but not bad, four pieces and a singer. The bigger issue was the extremely limited performance times in the Ocean Bar, one night only 5-6 PM, one night completely dark. That's right, zero music for cocktails. Toward the end of the cruise back to almost normal fortunately.

Adagio - Two 30-something males performing 19th and 20th century classical at a level of skill and complexity never expected on a cruise. Fabulous and a packed house nightly.

BB King - a real game changer for HAL entertainment. Great high energy shows three times most nights. The volume was fine for us.

Sandwiches in the Lido - Four varying choices of premade daily, plus a full selection of breads and ingredients to request custom made to your liking. The premade are in baskets without refrigeration, but as I have said before if they are out 4 hours or less this complies with the Health Code.

MDR - asked for and received table for 2, late seating - 8:00 PM, no 7 PM middle seating as had been rumored. Food very good to excellent as was the service. The new menus not an issue for me either way as "Always Available" still was always available even though not labled as such. International Night has been replaced by Dining with the Culinary Council for the last night, sadly it remains the weakest night of the cruise.

Pinnacle - Two excellent lunches beautifully served and presented.

Canaletto - Agree with many here who prefer the prior menu, OK but not great.

Overall a great cruise, eagerly anticipating NIEUW AMSTERDAM next up Jan. 31st.

A couple more items I forgot to mention:

Gala Nights - Quite a few more tuxes than I have seen on HAL recently, plus most men in suits or sport coats, largely with ties. So a better standard than I had expected to see.

Mariner's Embarkation Lunch - GONE, only the Lido now. Asked Dining Room Manager, he replied it was eliminated about a month ago. Not sure if this is fleetwide. Replaced apparently by a Mariner Champagne Toast in the Crow's Nest before sailing. Weak.

Gala Nights - Quite a few more tuxes than I have seen on HAL recently, plus most men in suits or sport coats, largely with ties. So a better standard than I had expected to see.

Mariner's Embarkation Lunch - GONE, only the Lido now. Asked Dining Room Manager, he replied it was eliminated about a month ago. Not sure if this is fleetwide. Replaced apparently by a Mariner Champagne Toast in the Crow's Nest before sailing. Weak.

Thanks for the update on Gala night!

Since HAL just relaxed the dress code, I expect it will take some time to see it reflected in everyone's attire. Most people likely do not even know that it changed.

Thanks for the update on Gala night!

We also just disembarked this cruise ... it exceeded our expectations and overall I think things are improved in the last couple years rather than cut back or dumbed down.

Condition of the ship - Even though she is due for drydock in the Spring, very good condition overall. The only real wear in evidence was the top step on some flights of stairs. Plumbing and HVAC in our cabin worked flawlessly.

MDR - asked for and received table for 2, late seating - 8:00 PM, no 7 PM middle seating as had been rumored. Food very good to excellent as was the service. The new menus not an issue for me either way as "Always Available" still was always available even though not labled as such. International Night has been replaced by Dining with the Culinary Council for the last night, sadly it remains the weakest night of the cruise.

Overall a great cruise ....

Thank you for a great (and very succinct) review of your Oosterdam cruise. Always good to hear from someone who really knows whereof he/she speaks. Thanks again.

Edited by avian777

We also just disembarked this cruise and would agree that we met some nice folks as well and though this was my 50th cruise since 1978 and 10th overall with HAL, it exceeded our expectations and overall I think things are improved in the last couple years rather than cut back or dumbed down.

Demographic - Certainly a largely senior crowd, but many more younger people than I have seen previously on HAL, a few families and some starting in their 20's increasing through 30's, 40's and 50's. (I am 56 for the record)

The Band - Not great, but not bad, four pieces and a singer. The bigger issue was the extremely limited performance times in the Ocean Bar, one night only 5-6 PM, one night completely dark. That's right, zero music for cocktails. Toward the end of the cruise back to almost normal fortunately.

Adagio - Two 30-something males performing 19th and 20th century classical at a level of skill and complexity never expected on a cruise. Fabulous and a packed house nightly.

BB King - a real game changer for HAL entertainment. Great high energy shows three times most nights. The volume was fine for us.

Sandwiches in the Lido - Four varying choices of premade daily, plus a full selection of breads and ingredients to request custom made to your liking. The premade are in baskets without refrigeration, but as I have said before if they are out 4 hours or less this complies with the Health Code.

Pinnacle - Two excellent lunches beautifully served and presented.

Canaletto - Agree with many here who prefer the prior menu, OK but not great.

Overall a great cruise, eagerly anticipating NIEUW AMSTERDAM next up Jan. 31st.

Yes to all the above. This was our fourth trip for these ports. Noordam for the previous ones.

We did the Pinnacle for seven of the ten nights and such a treat. Staff truly GREAT.

This was our seventh Holland cruise out of thirty total since 2000. Holland, Princess, and Celebrity have the right " stuff " for a great time.

Just finished picking excursions for next August for Alaska. Looking forward to a smaller Holland ship in the Massdam.

baffles:D