Shorts in MDR

cruzfiend

X no longer challenges people who ignore "suggestions". You will witness shorts and destination shirts in the dining room on every cruise. They are so common that a whole plane load of cruisers must have lost their luggage.

And if we wish to talk about comfort as the only reason to wear what one does, shorts are the least of our worries.

As a traditionalist I still believe in following rules, suggestions and requests made by the host... But I do exceed the speed limit on some highways...

Modern luxury must mean, as some remember as "X the rules".

it's my party and I'll wear what I want... Sorry I forgot the lyrics...

We are just off 10 days on the Equinox, fellow passengers in shorts, in the evening, were not allowed into the MDR no any other dinning venue, other than the Oceanview. There was no foot stomping challenge. The staff was very polite and courteous when mentioning the policy.

You're joking, right?

I am not joking.

Most of my summer tops are what I call t shirts.

They are soft, collarless and have short, 3/4 or long sleeves.

Most are solid colours, because that's my preference.

Non-formal evenings, I wear them with mostly linen pants and a sweater over my shoulder.

I never imagined that they would be unacceptable!!

I am not joking.

Most of my summer tops are what I call t shirts.

They are soft' date=' collarless and have short, 3/4 or long sleeves.

Most are solid colours, because that's my preference.

Non-formal evenings, I wear them with mostly linen pants and a sweater over my shoulder.

I never imagined that they would be unacceptable!![/quote']

They're not, don't worry about it.

We are just off 10 days on the Equinox, fellow passengers in shorts, in the evening, were not allowed into the MDR no any other dinning venue, other than the Oceanview. There was no foot stomping challenge. The staff was very polite and courteous when mentioning the policy.

Sorry but we were on the same ship, dining in select overlooking the main dining venu and every day that we were there we saw shorts on several passengers taking their seats.

T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

They're not, don't worry about it.

Well, according to Celebrity they're not allowed if they're t-shirts.

You're joking, right?

I was actually wondering the same thing, since I almost always am wearing a t-shirt with shorts and have had no issues having breakfast or lunch in the dining room. Plus most others are wearing the same thing as well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a dress shirt on in the dining for breakfast or lunch. Perhaps the rule should be changed to t-shirts, shorts, flip flops not in the evening, unless Celebrity's definition of a t-shirt is different from mine.

Sorry but we were on the same ship, dining in select overlooking the main dining venu and every day that we were there we saw shorts on several passengers taking their seats.

The Equinox is a very large ship, and we were not able to be in all the venues each evening, so anything is possible. All I can speak to is the areas we experienced.

I was actually wondering the same thing, since I almost always am wearing a t-shirt with shorts and have had no issues having breakfast or lunch in the dining room. Plus most others are wearing the same thing as well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a dress shirt on in the dining for breakfast or lunch. Perhaps the rule should be changed to t-shirts, shorts, flip flops not in the evening, unless Celebrity's definition of a t-shirt is different from mine.

I have worn t-shirts in the dining room at both breakfast and lunch among with many others. I don't put much stock in what the Celebrity rep. posts here. I noticed over time that it is often inaccurate. Or Celebrity corporate gobbledygook. The rep. seems to do good at resolving specific issues. Like if someone had a booking issue. Or special need. But not at general policies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I have worn t-shirts in the dining room at both breakfast and lunch among with many others. I don't put much stock in what the Celebrity rep. posts here. I noticed over time that it is often inaccurate. Or Celebrity corporate gobbledygook. The rep. seems to do good at resolving specific issues. Like if someone had a booking issue. Or special need. But not at general policies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess the term "t-shirt" can take on different meanings. I have several short sleeved, collarless shirts with wine logos in various colors that can be considered by some as "t-shirts." When I think of "t-shirts" I think of white undergarments. I would never wear one of those by itself out in public.

Well, according to Celebrity they're not allowed if they're t-shirts.

The question has been discussed here before and has been clarified by Celebrity. They don't want muscle shirts, white undershirts, etc. in the dining room in the evening. Something like cantstopcruising described is completely fine.

Edited by Cruise Junky

We have done 3- 14 night cruises, two with HAL and one with Celebrity. We travel with a group, last cruise it was a group of eight. One night per cruise we have an Ugly Shirt Contest, men and women wear the brightest gawd awful Island shirt they can find.....funny that we have never been turned away and often have been complimented. Usually the maitre d has been the judge. It is one night of laughs and fun. Really !! We have done it in the MDR........The shirts are ugly, bright, gawdy etc, but have passed the fashion police with never an evil word. :)

Edited by Calebo

Seriously ? Shorts with long socks and dress shoes ? That sounds hilarious - and you say it's common and they all do it ?

That's made me laugh :D

It was very popular down under in the early 70's but hasn't been in fashion for a long time. One occasionally still sees men wearing them. I have to admit they are very comfortable. When I was in the Navy back in the day it was normal summer uniform.

It was very popular down under in the early 70's but hasn't been in fashion for a long time. One occasionally still sees men wearing them. I have to admit they are very comfortable. When I was in the Navy back in the day it was normal summer uniform.

Not a fan of that look or shorts and sandals with socks.

We have done 3- 14 night cruises, two with HAL and one with Celebrity. We travel with a group, last cruise it was a group of eight. One night per cruise we have an Ugly Shirt Contest, men and women wear the brightest gawd awful Island shirt they can find.....funny that we have never been turned away and often have been complimented. Usually the maitre d has been the judge. It is one night of laughs and fun. Really !! We have done it in the MDR........The shirts are ugly, bright, gawdy etc, but have passed the fashion police with never an evil word. :)

"one night of laughs and fun". might fit into Celebrity rules but mefinks some on here will view this with much disdain [emoji33]

Laughing as I read this, you are correct !! Everyone was clean and cute, if I may use the word cute for 60 yr olds, there were no holes in pants, dingy t-shirts allowed, and one gentleman had to change into long pants for dinner, as we did know it was against the rules to wear lime green shorts for the main dining room, so we did sort of follow the rules. I do have to admit, we did have to find one as inexpensive as possible in the pier markets. It was done in fun and we did have a blast. We saved our bling for the other nights. :)