Shorts in MDR

cruzfiend

Which came first, the reduction in the quality of food and level of service, or the way in which passengers dressed for the dining room?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Love this question.

my take on it is that it started with drink packages and then triple perks . It was no doubt costly to offer this, leading to cuts in other areas like food, service, staff training & amenities, and good live musicians.

The great perks and pricing (for awhile) lured folks from less dressy cruise lines, who dislike dressing up for dinner, are ok with Vegas type buffets, less sophisticated service, and loud DJs...

. Many of the new folks loved the perks and the ships but not the Celebrity style.....They pushed and pushed, and now have their wish come true! Revenue won out because X has more and bigger ships to fill and the loyal customer base was not enough.

Many newer customers have no idea why the long term X fans are sometimes disappointed in lapses. After a few "free drinks", the decline in food and service , musical talent and wardrobe selection is less noticeable

Still a good value for us..with AQ and BLU...but not what it used to be...

Love this question.

my take on it is that it started with drink packages and then triple perks . It was no doubt costly to offer this, leading to cuts in other areas like food, service, staff training & amenities, and good live musicians.

The great perks and pricing (for awhile) lured folks from less dressy cruise lines, who dislike dressing up for dinner, are ok with Vegas type buffets, less sophisticated service, and loud DJs...

. Many of the new folks loved the perks and the ships but not the Celebrity style.....They pushed and pushed, and now have their wish come true! Revenue won out because X has more and bigger ships to fill and the loyal customer base was not enough.

Many newer customers have no idea why the long term X fans are sometimes disappointed in lapses. After a few "free drinks", the decline in food and service , musical talent and wardrobe selection is less noticeable

Still a good value for us..with AQ and BLU...but not what it used to be...

Well said. Especially the remark regarding "loyal, long term X fans".

We've cruised with Celebrity since 1999. No perks, no drink packages...but the cruise experience was always exemplary. We booked Suites for the space. Nothing more.

The atmosphere, at least here on CC has radically changed. The sense of entitlement is rampant.

I'll reserve judgment until I actually cruise in 2016. Hopefully the experience will be favorable. I'm an eternal optimist.[emoji4]

Sorry if this has been posted, but under the new guidelines, can men wear nice shorts in the dining room at night? Thanks

On the Equinox, just set out the luggage to depart in the morning. A most wonderful formal dressed group this week. Talked at length with Christopher the Hotel Mgr at the Elite cocktail party. There will be NO SHORTS IN THE MDR, PERIOD! At dinner time. He said they will be turned away.

Well said. Especially the remark regarding "loyal, long term X fans".

We've cruised with Celebrity since 1999. No perks, no drink packages...but the cruise experience was always exemplary. We booked Suites for the space. Nothing more.

The atmosphere, at least here on CC has radically changed. The sense of entitlement is rampant.

I'll reserve judgment until I actually cruise in 2016. Hopefully the experience will be favorable. I'm an eternal optimist.[emoji4]

Me too...and happy that the MDR no shorts at dinner issue has been answerd..

Wallie..hope you had a great cruise and will post a review!

On the Equinox, just set out the luggage to depart in the morning. A most wonderful formal dressed group this week. Talked at length with Christopher the Hotel Mgr at the Elite cocktail party. There will be NO SHORTS IN THE MDR, PERIOD! At dinner time. He said they will be turned away.

Time will tell. What a hotel manager says and what actually happens might not be.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I find it quite interesting that the announcement of no more formal nights on X ships was greeted almost universally with great enthusiasm, cheers and huzzahs. And such comments as X was finally entering the modern era.

Yet, the thought of someone wearing nice dress shorts with knit polo or golf or other collared shirt is met with almost universal commendation. Some are reacting as if the barbarians are at the door, or the ship was being invaded by a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals.

It's a much smaller divide between "smart casual" and nice collared polo and dress Bermuda shorts than it is between Formal night and "Evening Chic", what ever that is.

Formal (or suit, shirt and tie) is defined. "Evening Chic" is in the eye of the beholder.

Time will tell. What a hotel manager says and what actually happens might not be.....

We are on the Reflection December 5. This will be the first week for the "evening chic' dress code. For the first time in 80+ cruises, I will not be bringing my tuxedos, and I am more than a bit disheartened. I will let you know how far down the "slippery slope" the new dress code actually slides. I am not optimistic.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Me too...and happy that the MDR no shorts at dinner issue has been answerd..

Wallie..hope you had a great cruise and will post a review!

Its really funny that there are almost three pages on this. As someone else earlier reported Celebrity made no change on shorts in the MDR for dinner. All they did was make changes in formal nights going to Chic, not a word on shorts.

We are on the Reflection December 5. This will be the first week for the "evening chic' dress code. For the first time in 80+ cruises, I will not be bringing my tuxedos, and I am more than a bit disheartened. I will let you know how far down the "slippery slope" the new dress code actually slides. I am not optimistic.

I am on the Silhouette on December 13. I have not been bringing my tuxedo for a few years. Been wearing a dark suit the last three or four years. This summer to Bermuda I wore my Blue Blazer which Celebrity ruined by over pressing. So I won't bringing my new Blazer now with Evening Chic, I will wear a long sleeved dress shirt and long pants. I am not disheartened. I like that I won't need a jacket. I don't care what other people will be wearing.

I have a feeling they will say no shorts on Evening Chic evenings and enforce that but that is up to Celebrity.

Edited by Charles4515

Agree.

Please refer back a few posts to those discussing Bermuda shorts as worn by the men in Bermuda. This attire is perfectly acceptable in Bermuda as formal wear as well as for business, yet is not acceptable in a Celebrity dining room. I really have no problem with Scots wearing kilts and used that example only to show how so many people who want to pretend that they are dining in paradise get hung up on what others wear. The MDR on a Celebrity ship is nice but hardly a five star restaurant. Years ago the formal nights were more like a real formal evening with the wait staff dressed formally and the tables set appropriately. Today the MDR is just a nice restaurant with above average food. Getting all upset about what other people wear either on formal or non-formal night is what is hilarious.

My suggestion would be for Celebrity to set aside either a portion of the MDR or another restaurant to be designated as a formal only restaurant on the formal nights and then enforce that dress code there.

Why not bring your tux if that's what you really want to wear? Isn't it about you and not about others? Just like the old dress code the new one is still only a suggested guideline. We will be on the Eclipse 3 April 2016 and we are still planning on brining our formal wear. If we are the only ones dressed in our formal wear on the so called evening chic evening so what no biggie.

I wonder if he stomped his foot when he said "NO SHORTS IN THE MDR, PERIOD"!

Not at all. Christopher was most pleasant and spent 10-15 minutes with us answering our concerns. The foot stomping happens by the passengers that don't get their me first way.

What I came away from the conversation with, was that the changes were at the suggestion's of on ship Managers, not the suits in Miami that are out of touch with what actually occurs on their Ships.

Not at all. Christopher was most pleasant and spent 10-15 minutes with us answering our concerns. The foot stomping happens by the passengers that don't get their me first way.

I know what you mean. It floors me why so many on CC get so upset what others elect to wear.

I have found in talking to ship hotel managers and other crew managers onboard is that they tend to tell you answers that they think you want to hear.

Don't forget to pack your monocle and walking stick along with your formal wear.

It's still amazing how people can be affected by what others wear.

Mind your own business, dress how you like.

It still amazes me that people actually come on the board and tell others to dress how you want. That is the worst advice anyone can give on this board since Celebrity does have rules and some of them they actually enforce. So someone tells everyone to wear what you like and another person heeds that advice and is not allowed into the dining room. Real good advice, not....

I don't care what others wear and have rarely given my opinion on what the dress code is or should be. As far as the comment "mind your own business", if a poster asks a question, I'll answer it, tough.

So many people on CC are so incredibly hypocritical, so condescending, so judgmental and so downright insulting towards those who disagree with them that, if I had never been on a cruise and had to judge the cruise experience and cruise passengers based solely on the posts on Cruise Critic, I would never go on a cruise.

Edited by existentialtraveler

So many people on CC are so incredibly hypocritical, so condescending, so judgmental and so downright insulting towards those who disagree with them that, if I had never been on a cruise and had to judge the cruise experience and cruise passengers based solely on the posts on Cruise Critic, I would never go on a cruise.

So true

I have seen people post some remarks here that would have gotten them knocked on their butts if they said them out loud to someone's face .

But sitting at a computer using an alias , they are the wit and wisdom of these boards and of cruising itself. And all their little posses get on their knees and praise them for being witty, and how much they would love to cruise with them.