Shorts in MDR

cruzfiend

Is "dumbing down" a Cruise Critc ism?

I have never come across the expression elsewhere.

I'm 70 and can remember the term being used as far back as I can remember.

Merriam‑Webster

Definition of DUMB DOWN. transitive verb. : to lower the level of difficulty and the intellectual content of (as a textbook); also : to lower the general level of intelligence in <the dumbing down of society>

bosco

Why are shorts not OK but the Scottish guys can wear their kilts with their hairy legs showing and then showing off their undies (if they didn't forget to put them on) when they sit. I do understand the dress code, but what I don't understand why so many here are upset over what someone wears. This IS a vacation folks, not a coronation dinner. Try going to a place like Disney World and have dinner in one of the fancy restaurants and you will see shorts all over.

Probably because the Kilt is part of formal Highland Dress worn by many Scots men at their wedding as I did. To even ask why shorts are not ok, however Scots can wear their kilts is hilarious. You clearly have no idea about a Country's National Dress.

Probably because the Kilt is part of formal Highland Dress worn by many Scots men at their wedding as I did. To even ask why shorts are not ok, however Scots can wear their kilts is hilarious. You clearly have no idea about a Country's National Dress.

Please refer back a few posts to those discussing Bermuda shorts as worn by the men in Bermuda. This attire is perfectly acceptable in Bermuda as formal wear as well as for business, yet is not acceptable in a Celebrity dining room. I really have no problem with Scots wearing kilts and used that example only to show how so many people who want to pretend that they are dining in paradise get hung up on what others wear. The MDR on a Celebrity ship is nice but hardly a five star restaurant. Years ago the formal nights were more like a real formal evening with the wait staff dressed formally and the tables set appropriately. Today the MDR is just a nice restaurant with above average food. Getting all upset about what other people wear either on formal or non-formal night is what is hilarious.

My suggestion would be for Celebrity to set aside either a portion of the MDR or another restaurant to be designated as a formal only restaurant on the formal nights and then enforce that dress code there.

Why are shorts not OK but the Scottish guys can wear their kilts with their hairy legs showing and then showing off their undies (if they didn't forget to put them on) when they sit. I do understand the dress code, but what I don't understand why so many here are upset over what someone wears. This IS a vacation folks, not a coronation dinner. Try going to a place like Disney World and have dinner in one of the fancy restaurants and you will see shorts all over.

Because those are sexy! :D

Please refer back a few posts to those discussing Bermuda shorts as worn by the men in Bermuda. This attire is perfectly acceptable in Bermuda as formal wear as well as for business, yet is not acceptable in a Celebrity dining room. I really have no problem with Scots wearing kilts and used that example only to show how so many people who want to pretend that they are dining in paradise get hung up on what others wear. The MDR on a Celebrity ship is nice but hardly a five star restaurant. Years ago the formal nights were more like a real formal evening with the wait staff dressed formally and the tables set appropriately. Today the MDR is just a nice restaurant with above average food. Getting all upset about what other people wear either on formal or non-formal night is what is hilarious.

My suggestion would be for Celebrity to set aside either a portion of the MDR or another restaurant to be designated as a formal only restaurant on the formal nights and then enforce that dress code there.

Which came first, the reduction in the quality of food and level of service, or the way in which passengers dressed for the dining room?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Which came first, the reduction in the quality of food and level of service, or the way in which passengers dressed for the dining room?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Both continue their downward trend. We see both women and men entering the dining room at dinner in their daytime shorts without challenge and the menu is shortened to a new abridged version on Equinox.

The food still fills the daily requirement of bulk but the lack of standards will fill more pages on this thread than the collective menus onboard.

It has nothing to do with indignation. But where does it end? At some point people will be debating as to whether it's alright to wear swimwear in the MDR! But I guess as long as it's designer swimwear it'll be OK.[emoji12]

I think you are on the right slippy slope.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Probably both about the same time with the introduction of Specialty restaurants. It should be remembered that prior to Specialties you either ate in the dining room dressed properly or you pretty much stayed in your cabin for the evening. The dress code applied shipwide after 6:00P.M. and the only place you could eat was MDR or room service. Dresscode was strictly enforced in all venues. Celebrity for a long time did not have a buffet for dinner. They did finally establish buffet for dinner and also had a casual option where a certain portion of the buffet was cordoned off for table service for $2.00 pp in which you ate off a limited menu. The menu was different than the MDR.

Reduction of food and service I believe also had a lot to do with when Michel Roux's retired.

Edited by dkjretired

They already took care of that by elminating formal nights. Nothing for them to enforce since there won't be formal evenings. Those who still want to dress formal have that option.

As far as shorts I don't think they should be worn in the MDR in the evening but that is not my problem. That is up to Celebrity. I only worry about what I wear.

I have seen many women in shorts (just above knee length) in MDR at dinner. They look nice. I haven't seen short shorts at dinner. Crew neck shirts and souvenir tees have been seen in the MDR at all meals. If you see a white tee with a Celebrity logo, know that those people lost their luggage. It happened to me. I was without my luggage for more than a week on a two week Med cruise.

While we are not as experienced cruisers as represented in this thread and we've only just completed our 1st one this past January and are going back again in 2016, I just had to comment. Will there be any Polaroid Cameras on a strap to go with the long socks and dress shoes?? I'm laughing! Thank you all for a great Sunday funnies and by the way on January 10 on the Silhouette we'll be the ones on that will be "Chic" in my tux and wifey in her gown because we want to in either MDR or anywhere else on the ship! That's just how we want to enjoy our experience! And by the way you'll see me baseball cap in the gym and on deck if it doesn't blow off! See y'all soon!

Please no shorts unless it is a form of formal dress in your country.

Formal dress does not matter anymore since there will be no formal dress evenings.

As far as shorts in the MDR since it is allowed at breakfast and lunch, has been for years, I don't see any particular logical reason why dinner should be any different.

Edited by Charles4515