Shorts in MDR

cruzfiend

You will get un with shorts on, I have seen plenty of saddos wearing them. The staff at the door are too afraid to say no.

Absolutely not true, you may see the occasional person in shorts on the first night if they did not get their luggage or perhaps the person who didn't get their luggage for the entire cruise. They do turn people away with shorts on both formal and smart casual nights, the above post is just simply bad advice.

Sorry if this has been posted, but under the new guidelines, can men wear nice shorts in the dining room at night? Thanks

In the event you didn't read Celebrity's new published MDR dress guidelines for Evening Chic:

For sailings departing December 4, 2015, and beyond, Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Edited by davekathy

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

This bothers me. Why is comfort limited to sport shirts? What about dress shirts? Suits? Ties? Tuxedos (God forbid!) Are they planning on messing with the temperature?**

Very confusing message.

**Just kidding. About the temperature, that is.

This bothers me. Why is comfort limited to sport shirts? What about dress shirts? Suits? Ties? Tuxedos (God forbid!) Are they planning on messing with the temperature?**

Very confusing message.

**Just kidding. About the temperature, that is.

I cut and pasted what I posted directly from Celebrity's website. I don't have a dog in this fight.

I cut and pasted what I posted directly from Celebrity's website. I don't have a dog in this fight.

I was trying to make a joke. I clearly failed. Next time I'll pair "just kidding" with :D smiley face.

I really wasn't arguing. Sorry if it seemed so.

So what does one do on a cruise to Bermuda.

It is (or used to be) derigure on the island for the guys to wear Bermuda shorts from May 1 to Labour Day, this goes for both business attire and for formal events. So jacket with shirt and tie with the requisite plain coloured shorts and long plain coloured socks with dress shoes - quite sharp if I say so myself. :cool:

NAGooner

So what does one do on a cruise to Bermuda.

It is (or used to be) derigure on the island for the guys to wear Bermuda shorts from May 1 to Labour Day, this goes for both business attire and for formal events. So jacket with shirt and tie with the requisite plain coloured shorts and long plain coloured socks with dress shoes - quite sharp if I say so myself. :cool:

NAGooner

Simple, follow Celebrity's published dress guidelines for that evening no matter the sailing.

So jacket with shirt and tie with the requisite plain coloured shorts and long plain coloured socks with dress shoes - quite sharp if I say so myself

Seriously ? Shorts with long socks and dress shoes ? That sounds hilarious - and you say it's common and they all do it ?

That's made me laugh :D

Seriously ? Shorts with long socks and dress shoes ? That sounds hilarious - and you say it's common and they all do it ?

That's made me laugh :D

Visit Bermuda. You'll find nonstop jocularity.

http://travel.usnews.com/Bermuda/Travel_Tips/

I'm not advocating wearing shorts to the dining room. I'm just pointing out that there are places where the aforementioned outfit is appropriately dressy. ;)

I was on the Equinox last week, and there was a man in there with shorts, socks, and sandals. :rolleyes: Classy.

I was on the same Equinox cruise. They man walked through the whole MDR and was sitting right behind/next to the (occupied) Captain's table on the second formal evening. Two Celebrity employees in suits (MD's ?) were standing there and didn't blink an eye!

Thanks for the replies.....guess I opened a can of beans:(

After many years of surfing the CC threads, I have found any post that dares to mention "Dress Codes" is a "Dead Duck" in discussions and around 95% of the threads get closed. Unfortunately it is one subject that keeps failing.

However, on a lighter note! I have never heard anyone complain whilst on a cruise.

Happy cruising everyone.:):):)

After many years of surfing the CC threads, I have found any post that dares to mention "Dress Codes" is a "Dead Duck" in discussions and around 95% of the threads get closed. Unfortunately it is one subject that keeps failing.

However, on a lighter note! I have never heard anyone complain whilst on a cruise.

Happy cruising everyone.:):):)

This is so true. Complainers complain on CC, but once onboard the ship, you rarely hear anything regarding dress codes.

This is so true. Complainers complain on CC, but once onboard the ship, you rarely hear anything regarding dress codes.

What good would it do? The non conforming individual thinks the dress code does' apply to them, and the staff, for the most part, haven't got the nerve to say anything for fear of upsetting a paying guest.

Do all of you who complain on here about seeing shorts in the dining room complain about it on the ship? Because complaining after-the-fact is going to do no good. If the dining room staff won't handle it, go up the chain of command. I cut the workers some slack because they can't see 100% of everything but once it's brought to their attention and they don't do anything, then there's no harm in going to their bosses. Until other passengers start complaining long and loud and making it known to the management that it's an issue, then they're always going to let it slide.