Shorts in MDR

cruzfiend

Do all of you who complain on here about seeing shorts in the dining room complain about it on the ship? Because complaining after-the-fact is going to do no good. If the dining room staff won't handle it, go up the chain of command. I cut the workers some slack because they can't see 100% of everything but once it's brought to their attention and they don't do anything, then there's no harm in going to their bosses. Until other passengers start complaining long and loud and making it known to the management that it's an issue, then they're always going to let it slide.

I think most cruisers are too busy having a good time to really care to complain.

Sailed on the Reflection, Nov 7-14, saw shorts T-shirts and baseball caps allowed in the MDR. One guy wore wrinkled shorts and t-shirt on formal night. Disappointing they are no longer enforcing the dress code but it did not affect our holiday.

Maybe that WAS formal dress for him! Maybe most of the time he just walks around in his untidy tidy whities. ;)

And so, since he was so well dressed (for him) I'm sure he felt very chic. And perhaps the staff were also relieved that at least on formal night he didn't come to the MDR in his undies.

Maybe that WAS formal dress for him! Maybe most of the time he just walks around in his untidy tidy whities. ;)

And so, since he was so well dressed (for him) I'm sure he felt very chic. And perhaps the staff were also relieved that at least on formal night he didn't come to the MDR in his undies.

yes very thankful that he wore more than undies! LOL

Seriously ? Shorts with long socks and dress shoes ? That sounds hilarious - and you say it's common and they all do it ?

That's made me laugh :D

That is standard dress in Bermuda, very common and looks nice. I am not recommending it on the ship just making a factual comment on Bermuda.

So what does one do on a cruise to Bermuda.

It is (or used to be) derigure on the island for the guys to wear Bermuda shorts from May 1 to Labour Day, this goes for both business attire and for formal events. So jacket with shirt and tie with the requisite plain coloured shorts and long plain coloured socks with dress shoes - quite sharp if I say so myself. :cool:

NAGooner

Been on several Bermuda cruises, the Bermuda dress does not apply to the ship, you follow the dress code as per Celebrity.

Why are people so offended by shorts? People want to be more comfortable, but only their interpretation of comfort. I keep hearing on these boards that people don't notice what other people wear. So now why all the indignation over shorts?

I think its just as chic to wear jeans as it is to wear shorts.

Why are people so offended by shorts? People want to be more comfortable, but only their interpretation of comfort. I keep hearing on these boards that people don't notice what other people wear. So now why all the indignation over shorts?

I think its just as chic to wear jeans as it is to wear shorts.

It has nothing to do with indignation. But where does it end? At some point people will be debating as to whether it's alright to wear swimwear in the MDR! But I guess as long as it's designer swimwear it'll be OK.[emoji12]

It has nothing to do with indignation. But where does it end? At some point people will be debating as to whether it's alright to wear swimwear in the MDR! But I guess as long as it's designer swimwear it'll be OK.[emoji12]

Budgie smugglers, mmmm

I could have designs on them, slurp!

When will all the "It's my money, my cruise, my vacation and I don't understand why I cannot dress as I please" arguments start being posted..

That is almost always where these threads wind up going for as far back as I can remember (2001).

Simple answer for the OP.. NO SHORTS IN MDR AT DINNER.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I don't see why not. A nice pair of shorts by it name are just not as long as a pair of nice pants.

I plan to wear them. It's the new chic!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but many a true word is spoken in jest. If that's your idea of chic, who am I to criticize?

When will all the "It's my money, my cruise, my vacation and I don't understand why I cannot dress as I please" arguments start being posted..

That is almost always where these threads wind up going for as far back as I can remember (2001).

Simple answer for the OP.. NO SHORTS IN MDR AT DINNER.

bosco

Go back a few months on these boards. There more than enough on the "It's my vacation, my money and I'll dress as I damn well please".

Wonder if they would say the same thing when the materd at the Palm Court says you can't come in with shorts.

Why are shorts not OK but the Scottish guys can wear their kilts with their hairy legs showing and then showing off their undies (if they didn't forget to put them on) when they sit. I do understand the dress code, but what I don't understand why so many here are upset over what someone wears. This IS a vacation folks, not a coronation dinner. Try going to a place like Disney World and have dinner in one of the fancy restaurants and you will see shorts all over.

Why are shorts not OK but the Scottish guys can wear their kilts with their hairy legs showing and then showing off their undies (if they didn't forget to put them on) when they sit. I do understand the dress code, but what I don't understand why so many here are upset over what someone wears. This IS a vacation folks, not a coronation dinner. Try going to a place like Disney World and have dinner in one of the fancy restaurants and you will see shorts all over.

First of all, it's not Disney World. It's a cruise with very different decorum. Daytime wear and Nightime wear.

Not really, the fanciest restaurant at Disney is Victoria and Alberts, which has the following dress code:

Men must wear dinner jackets with dress pants or slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Women may wear a cocktail dress, nice dress, dressy pant suit or a skirt with a blouse.

Jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted.

More strict than Celebrity on Formal night. Sure, many of the other restaurants at Disney do allow shorts, but that is their dress code, so it is allowed. It is not Celebrity's dress code so it isn't allowed. Pretty simple.

This gets to the point that many make. The argument goes like this: "If you want good food, you should dress appropriately, "dumbing down" the dress code allows the cruise line to follow suit, and dumb down the food. Right or wrong, it just sort of happens."

As far as my opinion, I do kind of agree, if you want sophisticated food, and a sophisticated environment, dress appropriately. If you want fast food, go for it. Dress as you wish. There ARE at least three options onboard that will allow shorts for dinner, at least two of which are included. No one is saying, don't wear shorts on your vacation, or even don't wear shorts for dinner. They're simply saying, They're simply saying just don't wear them in the dining room, just as Disney says, don't wear them at Albert and Victoria and Alberts. Either way, if you want the Disney dress code, they have disney ships, you're free to sail them.

Kind of comes down to this:

23348106176_003068e353_o.gif

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

What if they're designer jean shorts without rips or tears? They seem to fit the written code :rolleyes:

A quick google search showed many brands, most over $100 so surely they would be OK? :eek:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We're of the generation that wouldn't recognize a pair of designer jeans if we 'ran' into them.

If you experts would kindly help us learn, would you consider making both the label and price visible. We are slow learners I fear, but we're already good at recognizing rips and paint stains.

Ruth