Searching for summer - LIVE from the newly refurbished Infinity 12/5/15

need2bespoiled

Thanks for the great posts. We are on the 1/3 sailing from BA to Valparaiso and was wondering about disembarkation in Valpariso. I understand there is a shuttle from the ship to the terminal. Any help old be appreciated

I was going to get to this, but no reason we can't jump ahead.

Well, Valparasio is not a modern cruise port by any stretch. There is "No Walk Off". All bags have to be out the night before. Infinity got in early as is usual (3:30a as I was woken up) and the they put all bags off and scan them all for food as chile is strict about this. I was told all bags would be off by 0630a.

When you disembark you board a bus to the terminal where you go through immigration and hand in paperwork and they scan hand luggage. Then you find your bags. It's more like a warehouse than cruise terminal.

60d81c9cb94b5bfedef8540aaf57db89.jpg

Other than that, it was fine. Seriously, it could have been worse (I guess) but it wasn't that bad.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

I thought about starting a new thread but this is as good as any. I stopped by Bistro on 5 today to see what the daily special was and there is another new menu. Looks good to me but will miss some things like the lamb, and the oinion soup but I love tuna. We've had two good meals there, but it's not Luminae.

2f7d191145463fc3b0e4ad333fb028ab.jpg

I'll try and post on Lima in a bit. A few words of description: Traffic. Clean. Eclectic.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so are there no longer daily specials?

we were looking forward to the lamb

so are there no longer daily specials?

we were looking forward to the lamb

Unfortunately, this is exactly what it means, no lamb, just the soap specials. Some of those daily special items we're excellent,but the new menus is still good, we've never done B5 for dinner, and -try- to go lighter for lunch so it's ok with us. B5 is no longer w breakfast option as it opens at 11am. No sure when that change happened.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Before I proceed to disembarkation (which has really mostly been covered above), Valparasio and Santiago (where I still am) I want to cover a bit out our sea day activities, including the Panama Canal crossing a bit more in depth.

Anyone who knows me either in person or online knows I'm very friendly. This is just over compensation from my introversion. Add this to Dee's love of entertaining and we make a dangerous combination. From the day we booked this cruise, we knew the deck would be special through the canal and were planning to host a get together onboard. I had planned to try and get a bow cam on a TV on the deck so I could see the front from the back but we had to use the inside TV for that, but a speaker was provided for the balcony so we could hear the commentary. I barely left the cabin and when I did I decided I had to go back to not miss anything.

We tour almost exclusively with other roll call members. We find this is a great way to meet people, see more unique places, with smaller, more flexible groups and have a much better experience with wonderful people, many we stay in touch with and have cruised with again. We weren't comfortable simply inviting the entire roll call so we chose anyone we were touring with, had planned activities, or we'd become more friendly with online or onboard. We had planned this since day 1 over a year ago and had about 50 people stop by in the afternoon for the Pedro Miguel locks. It was really a fun time.

My scheming didn't end there. Since we were driving to the port, we were able to bring on pretty much what we wanted. I had a beverage dispenser (glass, about 2 liters) shipped to FL which I was able to get onboard without incident. I asked our butler on the first day to fill it with pineapple. I then filled the remaining space with vodka in preparation for another party near the end of the cruise. We still had some vodka left over so we asked for another container for backup with pineapple. We let this infuse for almost two weeks until the second "farewell" party we hosted this past Wednesday (the last sea day that wasn't a chic night or last night of the cruise). We served the infused vodka with in a sugared martini glass with a splash of pineapple juice and a piece of the infused pineapple for garnish. WOW, one piece of pineapple was lot a shot of vodka but it was tasty but o so dangerous! Champagne and a snacks and we were set. I can't say how many people were invited, maybe 30-40 but I do know some on the invite list never received their invitations We found out about a few and called them, but know we missed a few too. We had one special guest we met on the first night at the new officer table we invited, but never expected him or his wife Sophia to actually stop by but it did make the evening special so I wanted to share (sorry Sophia for getting cut off). Both Sophia and Captain Michael were extremely cordial and happy to meet the diverse group of friends we'd invited.

3f41722d8a45e07c71886e3c210f0276.jpg

We spent very little time by the pool, the water was a bit cold and with that balcony and a fully stocked fridge, there really isn't reason to leave except for an activity. When our plan was reading or relaxing, there is no better place than here:

95b4c77b7fce53bcdecbcf66be9bf075.jpg

518a3a98520650706e513fb5f597904b.jpg

Edit:

Formal nights, err, chic nights haven't changed much, but for those of us who have enjoyed an opportunity to where our finery, it is a downgrade when this passes as chic:

91e39af81142afa39860d3faa8563b4b.jpg

This, just doesn't seem right

09235acbd67de32836ec4e6a21ec5ed3.jpg

(Dee did make me change for dinner)

I also asked to see the Luminae kitchen, as I really wanted to know how separate it was. What they call a kitchen is really just a separate line to me, no real separation from Blu or the MDR really though they do use they're own chefs and products for each, sort of.

30601f7d9ddc7bf6f0fb2c53ab05e3d9.jpg

Next up Valparasio where we toured with a nice group booked through Michael the German Pirate. Our guide, Boris was awesome and the tour was perfect, or nearly so (they wouldn't ship wine home from the winery).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Both Valparasio and Santiago were surprises in that they far exceeded our expectations. One day in Valparasio and even 2 in Santiago isn't enough to do them justice. The weather has been spectacular, warm, dry (humidity), friendly, clean, lots to see and do.

Boris was waiting for us just outside where we claimed our luggage in the, um, "classic" cruise terminal. Once we had our entire group the van was there, loaded and we were off to drive through Valparasio, see the sites and get lots of good info.

First stop the funicular.

f5b5b06f11a288004bd6f3726c69f0e0.jpg

b54d94d4f5994798105b5b0b83b3647b.jpg

We stopped at a small local spice / food shop, view points, city share and navy monument, and on our way to the vineyard for wine tasting and then Santiago at a famous clock, and an actual Easter island statue. Lots of pics to share below.

e819426d2a98e224545d69be65853a6d.jpg

39c228aa1390934cd2ddb10468b7167a.jpg

51a7c4f4a5dd267f3eed36b78f319118.jpg

58c9641a8427e2f58fc5ce1354bd2cdf.jpg

More to follow ...

Braised beach with local corn specialty, Yummy

9ba3e041d8442f661103e4b603709434.jpg

The vineyard and gardens, the chef gave us a tour of his gardens

209a42e8cbc34396f4e09cfeb37f5803.jpg

e773676190b1e1117e47ac191356826a.jpg

Off to Santiago

5c9e9499b08862bca14f6c7ffd04543d.jpg

Next up our day in Santiago and then home but for now I am off to the pool and breakfast.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi Jenna, following your review. Your pineapple martini`s made me laugh. We had a dinner party and I made pineapple soaked martini`s. I don`t think anyone remembers the dinner ! Glad you and Dee are enjoying Santiago. We did some great wine tasting in that area and still drink those wines today. Happy New Year to you and Dee. Cheers, Heather

Thanks so much. Just one more question about disembarkation. About how long did it take? We are supposed to meet our tour guide at 9, so how much time should we allow once we get off the ship? Have enjoyed your review.

It took us less, but I would plan on 45 minutes from disembarkation time to guide. All of the lines moved quickly.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That is all for the comments. I think you're right Paul, though I am not sure if we threw a party they'd never forget, or won't remember :-D

I still have a bit to cover, starting with Day 2 Santiago, the scene of the crime (Dee gets sick) but a wonderful day. We woke late, grabbed breakfast at the "club" lounge in our hotel, Ritz Carleton and did some catch up on email now that we had high speed internet. I'll give a brief review of the hotel. They do breakfast until 11am. THAT'S ELEVEN IN THE MORNING CELEBRITY, TAKE NOTE. The service at the hotel was excellent, and for a saver redemption of only 60k points for two nights plus $100/night to upgrade to a club room was a good deal. We actually received a 1 bedroom Executive Suite. To extend the night for the extra night for Dee getting sick they wanted $509 but I redeemed another 45k points and they key us keep our room. I doubt I would stay there again, even though the service was excellent and room was night, it's just not my style. I think I'd prefer the new, modern Renaissance which for the same points comes with lounge access and is far more modern, BUT now with the merger of Marriott and SPG I'd probably choose the W where I had dinner the last night. Beautiful hotel, great vibe and restaurants and perfect location.

We used UBER to get around the city. While they have excellent public transportation, including 5 subway lines, it takes longer and for a little bit extra, we get dropped right at the location which for Dee who needs a knee replacement was a welcome luxury. Rides cost between $5 and $15 U.S. None of the drivers spoke English but it didn't really matter. They had the location we were traveling, their phone on the window so we could see the route and ETA with uber tracking them. At one point the driver used google translate to give us info on traffic. I generally used wifi to find and enter destination but used my data plan when needed. Today we stated with a ride to Los Dominicas artisan village. This was really neat. I'd say more than half of the stalls / shops were manned by the artisan making the actual craft, art, jewelry, etc. we bought some neat items from unique jewelry to puzzle games to pewter and had a bite to eat (and the drink that was Dee's downfall, silly girl).

b0e15d886dadb74c4ac7cf3d80136757.jpg

2d699ee94b552cb14dd4d382516434f1.jpg

Bought jewelry with the flower design from this rock, only found in Chile:

e91224813a6f2721637968c92202b12f.jpg

From there we headed San Cristobol "Hill" and took the funicular to the top for the view and to see the Virgin Mary statue. We wished we had time to spend in the village area below the hill, it had a great vibe but after 4 hours at Los Dominicas and traffic to San Cristobal, we didn't have time before our 8:30p dinner reservation at Aqui Esta Coco which was recommend by a friend who lives in Santiago (but was away on vacation).

Longer and steeper than in Valparasio:

def3708a506804de5b2ae79e4b326ac9.jpg

From the top of the hill:

4d2808759ea41435c9aa6f090efe4a1c.jpg

The statue:

87820c011a78cec1f64e4e77bb9cf460.jpg

A bit more to come ...

Edited by need2bespoiled

Dinner at Aqui Esta Coco was good, but not amazing. It is a seafood restaurant. Maybe, being from Portland, ME we're spoiled between our foodie scene and fresh seafood. It was good, not too expensive but not "wow". Even the wine List was ok. This may sound odd, but the sinks which were really neat and what we'll likely remember.

bdcae9d13fc339be03559681db09f822.jpg

They had 4 types of homemade pisca

addc59b6fc783e9bff38ca665f31933a.jpg

Dee woke the next morning, not feeling great, so I headed out to buy some medication to help calm her stomach. We were supposed to head to Brazil the next day, but had changed our flights to leave that day and head home without staying in Brazil (even though the Visas were pricy). I asked the bellman where to go to a pharmacy, and he offered to go for me, but I was being independent. When I got there about w block away and all medication, including over the counter is behind the counter and with the language barrier I couldn't get anything. Back to the hotel to take the staff up on the offer to deliver to the room. I checked in with Dee and headed to the rooftop pool after breakfast at about 10am and had it all to myself.

f9c879e51835be589e489718cabb0a05.jpg

About 11:30 back to the room to check on Dee and get ready to head out. She wasn't up for for, so I began the 4-5 hour process of changing all of out flights. Again. United made it easy, probably due to my elite status. LAN made it hard, but I persisted and eventually they changed out flights without charging me the fare different if $3000.

We didn't do much (Dee couldn't have) all day but by evening I was store crazy so I headed out to dinner at Osaka which is Japanese Peruvian fusion (seemed more Japanese to me) but was EXCELLENT. It is off the lobby of the W on the fourth floor with a nice, vibrant atmosphere.

Ceviche Japanese style

915a51c905cc1bc53df47382a2dc2fa9.jpg

Unami with Fois Gras "Unagi Fois"

1df57781c6d732454d494a60328eaad2.jpg

Fire, fire...fire

3d0eadb7904bf09a6f690aa272c18e87.jpg

And that brings Santiago nearly to an end, next up will be out 24+ trip home to Maine.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I've been in a bit of travel hell today as I head off on my next trip which ends with a cruise to Cuba, which will be absolutely nothing like the cruise I reported on here. Oh the juxtaposition of experience.

Our flights home were interesting. We flew LAN business in the 787 to Sao Paolo, which I was excited about because it was my first 787 flight and is a pretty well regarding seat. Business checking was ok, a bit of a line, the security / passport check at business was HORRIBLE. People cutting lines, very, very slow, lots of tension. The lounge was a disaster, kids claiming on tables, dirty tables, and a general mess.

(This was calmed down, notice the un-attended toddler in the background)

618be0996990c973d3dbbb444d88c09c.jpg

Seat was comfy with lots of legroom

90447489f5a5093d7024cf219acf15e6.jpg

Food was decent

9fed0cd5da17d6e52271aea763a17081.jpg

Views of the Andes were great. I'd recommend booking in the right side of the plane leaving Santiago for the best views.

ec03b756b13b9ac08fe144f8b3998b6f.jpg

The did check our bags all the way to Maine so we didn't have to claim them in Sao Paolo and re-check. We spent some time in Sao Paolo in the Star Alliance lounge, which was large but very, very crowded. The airport was very hot

Our flight home in first (called global first on United) started off poorly with a remote boarding from a basement gate where we had to board a bus, ride to the plane and climb up stairs to board. Just as our bus (the first buss which was packed due to all of the families pre-boarding) arrived it started to rain, HARD. Dee and I were separated on the bus and she had a really hard time getting up the stairs with her carry on one step at a time. She was 1/3 of the way up before she received any assistance (we requested it at the gate). Most passengers ended up boarding soaking wet for the nearly 10 hour flight. Since the flight was already a late departure and then delayed for weather dinner service was intentionally hurried to allow us time to sleep. I had a stuff chicken that was ok., the salad was good. (If you want a pic of the seats you can google United Global First, compare to similar products on other airlines, it is "OK". )

fed0f67f620cd066097d4fc7691339a9.jpg

When we arrived in Chicago or last flight home was delayed a bit, so we spent some time in the First Class lounge which was empty. Showers were nice and we felt much better before our last leg.

d37ffcda4a7a25962196cba17e5e20f3.jpg

We got home Christmas Eve about 4 pm after a stop for groceries and I immediately started to unpack, do laundry and get ready for my next trip.

That's all folks, any more questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Thamsk for the updates photos of the suites! I'h happy to see enhanced showers in he PH and RS. The updated RS bathrooms look much nicer now. Funny, the tub and fixtures exactly match this in my apartment! They know me so well.

I noted you had the chocolate sphere. Having read about it on here, I have asked on my last 2 sailings and was told "not on this cruise". Then I inquired further and was told it is served on 11th night of a cruise, thus since mine were 6 and 9 nights, it wasn't there. However they asked me which night i'd like to have it and they prepared them for me and my guests in Luminae (Invited Walter and Ian to dine with us one night). I agree with your take, fun to look at, but flavor, - meh. But it made for a fun end to our dinner.

Jenna, thank you, thank you, thank you for the great trip report! We're doing a similar itinerary (minus Cartagena and Colon; plus Grand Cayman, Pisco and overnight in Lima) in 2017. I'll try not to be "that guy" who bombards you with hundreds of questions, but I may skirt the line, as this is almost a bucket list trip for me. :D

I'm curious about your Arica excursion to Lauca NP. I assume, since you mentioned it was a roll call group, you arranged a private tour. Was there any question about making it back to the ship on-time? My wife is hyper-paranoid about missing the boat. But I'm leery of ship excursions after being burned on a few and am looking to spend some quality time for photographs and rock hounding at the park.

How was the Valparaiso-Santiago commute? Since United has a direct SCL-IAH flight late at night, we'll have all day to get there. Would you recommend puttering around Valparaiso or Santiago if you had to leave that day?

Thanks!