Searching for summer - LIVE from the newly refurbished Infinity 12/5/15

need2bespoiled

What hotel did you stay at in Ft. Lauderdale?

Enjoying your review.

I had reservations at three hotels and kept changing which nights. We ended up at our old favorite, the Fort Lauderdale Harbour Beach Marriott Resort. I travel a ridiculous amount, was well taken care of and used points to book

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jenna. Thanks for the great review! We were on the last cruise and Godfrey was our buthler. Great service. If you get the chance, please tell Godfrey that Gerald and Linda from RS 6141 send their regards.

Linda

Will do!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Today we toured with cruise critic favorite guide Dora ("the explorer"?). A simple city tour with the emerald museum added on. Of course I bought new jewelry, go figure.

Celebrity Infinty from Convento De La Popa

e7f66d696cb92c4ec7aef8386c670c4c.jpg

La Popa:

5fb1237745483b16bbc260fe4dbf6ec8.jpg

5658729ae735210f16e0a89e9d1b1688.jpg

Fort:

28cc195a86fd5fdd4be28c0ca5f26118.jpg

Old City:

4b5421f554795c3123fce1aa242d9838.jpg

2d6080fca25f3d1a9beea1d54e33b26e.jpg

To be continued....

I spoke to roll call members (now friends) onboard who are sailing in an aft A1 cabin they told me they can't hear the furniture inside the cabin at all, and have previously experience these scrapping sounds when in a cabin under the pool. They also said they could hear the Jazz playing on the terrace slightly at sail away, but no more an they could the music and sound of silver where from the ocean view and sunset bar. They said once inside the cabin with the door closed, they could hear neither. They aid they enjoyed the sounds, people having fun and merriment. We could barely hear silverware occasionally on deck 6, but no music except the music I had playing on the Bose speakers.

Sail away was stunning today, I can't imagine a better place than this balcony.

fa8c1ea9b9dd17989f52b359fc8efdb3.jpg

d9f7342a0d9b7cd2b40e06bdf9387ce9.jpg

ec131b77fa33ff164af17b7edcdc7ef3.jpg

I've planned the tour tomorrow, old and new locks with another Cruise Critic favorite, Roberto. The total geek in me is really looking forward to it! Dee wanted to see the Embera Indian Village which is the plan, including lunch there, which is a tad scary, (mostly the local food, but also the boat trip given recent events) but we'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Jenna

Roberto is the best!

He makes all of that information on the locks interesting and the whole day fun and personal.

The Embera Village is also great and the food delicious.

Hope you both have wonderful days!

I spoke to roll call members (now friends) onboard who are sailing in an aft A1 cabin they told me they can't hear the furniture inside the cabin at all, and have previously experience these scrapping sounds when in a cabin under the pool. They also said they could hear the Jazz playing on the terrace slightly at sail away, but no more an they could the music and sound of silver where from the ocean view and sunset bar. They said once inside the cabin with the door closed, they could hear neither. They aid they enjoyed the sounds, people having fun and merriment. We could barely hear silverware occasionally on deck 6, but no music except the music I had playing on the Bose speakers.

Sail away was stunning today, I can't imagine a better place than this balcony.

fa8c1ea9b9dd17989f52b359fc8efdb3.jpg

d9f7342a0d9b7cd2b40e06bdf9387ce9.jpg

ec131b77fa33ff164af17b7edcdc7ef3.jpg

I've planned the tour tomorrow, old and new locks with another Cruise Critic favorite, Roberto. The total geek in me is really looking forward to it! Dee wanted to see the Embera Indian Village which is the plan, including lunch there, which is a tad scary, (mostly the local food, but also the boat trip given recent events) but we'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

Thank you so much for that reassuring info! I really appreciate it! Enjoy your cruise and your visit to Panama!

Tammy

Hi Jenna. Happy to hear that you and Dee are enjoying. Your Cartagena pics. brought back some happy memories.

Can you tell me who the capt. Club hostess and the chief housekeeper are? Thanks so much!

Anne

Elaine is the Captain's Club Hostess. I believe Milo is the chief housekeeper. I asked someone yesterday and that is what I was told. We had a few maintenance people in our cabin working (cracking) a broken safe. Suffice to say, it was not easy from them to get in.

c7d9c7ea3f5245f9b69ac3a13f17c541.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yesterday was amazing. I was able to totally geek out on the old locks, new locks and then we had a local lunch and visit including walk through with the local medicine man of one of the Embera Indian villages. I have a LOT of pics, I'll try and post as many as I can while I watch us enter the canal which is what we're doing RIGHT now.

ddbb3e9b6c66501c6194155a308c56d9.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna

From the view forward and aft, it looks like we are between two other ships.

Yesterday we met Roberrto and had w wonderful tour with 2 other couples from our roll call.

First we visited the old locks, before anyone got there from the busses, which was great. We got to watch a ship move up, and then out of the locks all narrated by the local expert.

STOP THE PRESES!

I have visitors.

1d310ebf88aa567066bc9555f3da4e14.jpg

Totally geeking out. Practicing Spanish and getting to asking questions from the real locals.

We're also transiting in the port side, better view for me, very excited. Silver Wind is in front of us and Island Princes behind us.

Now we'll return to our regularly scheduled program...

80e637093e079eb869a38f2a009ee2c2.jpg

https://vimeo.com/148486625

The new locks won't use the mules (the vehicles that look like train engines) that are used to keep the ships straight) on the new locks, instead they will use tug boats as they say the ships are too big for the cables / hydraulics. They're testing and practicing with the new tugs:

https://vimeo.com/148489589

The new locks are supposedly still going to open in April, but most people still thing it will,likely be another year. They didn't look like they were furiously working to me. We've also heard they have some repairs to make on some drakes in the chamber bottoms.

cd2d51027d85e22772b0327d226a731f.jpg

As I write, we're in the middle chamber of the Gatun Locks. The helipad is PACKED (as per bow cam) so we're content to hang out here aft, check out the bow cam and enjoy breakfast.

Back to the final pic from yesterday's trip to the locks. One of the ne doors which retracts into the chamber wall:

c21f4025f7daf9b84fc80075c5635a3b.jpg

Next up, Embera Indians.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Elaine is the Captain's Club Hostess. I believe Milo is the chief housekeeper. I asked someone yesterday and that is what I was told. We had a few maintenance people in our cabin working (cracking) a broken safe. Suffice to say, it was not easy from them to get in.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That picture reminds me of our last cruise when they only managed to get rid of the stench from both baths 3 days before we left the ship. 11 days to get a solution.

Roberto took us to a local "neighborhood" to board a dugout canoe with a modern outboard to head up Reiner to the Embera village. The boats are long, narrow and fairly stable, but be careful boarding.

a7a71c4fbaeb3426a5e7856691e44e84.jpg

Along the way we were able to view plenty of nature and wildlife including lots of birds, an alligator, plenty of turtles and monkeys.

da3e19a46ec40f2ad90e79b78b0a33ee.jpg

5f51b14e59ba0b67a35b6ea7e5140f51.jpg

04d3b0ccb62a79ca454410347a5318ee.jpg

97f28213b317f2ddafb0f1de496822fa.jpg

The village is on 9 lush hillside acres but only uses two. The tourism is helping to keep their culture alive as they fled the region on the boarder with Columbia for safer locations but they can no longer farm and hunt.

b24665d4c0781f1803ee21eff1dd6b64.jpg

A few more to come...

Happy sailing from Gatun Lake,

Jenna

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks so much Jenna. Enjoy!

Photos are great..

next year we are hoping to do old and new canal excursion...will check out Roberto...

the Indian Village is also interesting but dh and I are more into the canal ...the project is amazing....heard there have been issues with Gatun Lake water level but hope that has been resolved..

We went thru the Gatun locks with the mules ...on Briliance of the Seas..literallyinches to spare!

ENJOY!

Before I post again, I want to step up on my soapbox, my live post, my right? ;)

It seems many threads on this board are negative and / or complaining but not critiquing. It seems to me that many frequent and experienced cruisers have abandoned the boards due to this. Maybe the anonymity of the boards enables some posters to write things online they wouldn't say in person? Is our cruise perfect? Of course not, nothing in life is. We share with staff onboard when we're not happy or we feel they have room for improvement. Staff seem to appreciate the opportunity to change and / or exceed our desires. Infinity was lambasted in a number of reviews before we left but we've found little to complain about around the ship. If we nitpick (and we do to ourselves) we find things they could do to be "perfect", but we also feel some of this is due to us cruising frequently. When things are new, they're exciting, after eating the same things many times, it can become boring. Is Celebrity the same as it was 10 years ago? 2 years ago? Of course not, things change and evolve or become boring. If too many of these things are not to your liking, you're free to leave and find another vacation from the millions of opportunity out there and many cruise lines. You may like it more or maybe you'll miss what you left but you won't know unless you try. The many choices and competition are good for everyone.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

We've been frustrated we need to be at breakfast by 9am, or risk getting cold room service. 9am is often too early for us. At 0845 the Lumina dining room was packed. They still sat a table at 0920 and we're finishing up at 0945. They really try not to say "no".

Yesterday through the canal was an amazing experience for this geek. I was up at 6am as we slowly moved towards the Gatun Locks. The view from our balance was AMAZING. Up close and personal. We were so close to the mikes we could take it the drivers. I may even have shared a beverage with one or given cookies to the workers on our balcony :-D

I never went to the bow, too crowded for our liking but did watch some on the bow cam and got to see the Island Princess come through just behind us.

At 1pm we invited other cruisers we were touring ports with or connected with onboard to join us as we passed through Culebra Cut and transited Pedro Miguel locks. We really enjoyed sharing the experience with new friends and it was a good opportunity to meet and plan the remaining tours.

https://vimeo.com/148628152

bd8c83d38e089327f99561e077d3f3cf.jpg

b001a985a15f747ca0cdcd65d78108af.jpg

9684e1007a9c1a5898a29e18080f928e.jpg

b672260c3eb3508f90aae25ffe77bda8.jpg

409541657bc497a6ac49e5a1292de909.jpg

Today we have a typically lazy sea day. Breakfast, massages (double schedule wi yoga, which is a bummer for me) and then more relaxation.

Tomorrow we visit another new country for us, Ecuador where we'll head from Manta to a national park, mud baths and a beautiful romantic beach (says our tour description).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were one of those very lucky people to be invited to view the locks from need2bespoiled's suite. What a fabulous view and I would like to thank them both for the generosity of doing it. We have enjoyed their hospitality and company.

Jenna I have alway felt the view from the back of the ship was better than the bow. I also agree with you to many complaints. Just came off 13 days on the Summit and had a great time. Staff was excellent. Only thing to complain about was I had to leave the ship. Doing a TA on the Silhouette in April. This is a great itinerary, hope the rest of the trip is great for you and Dee.

Norma Constellation TA

Sorry about the delay and the rambling post. Ecuador was an adventure, for sure. We did a 2 hour drive to Manchillia National Park, a museum/archeological site and associated mud bath and sulfur springs and Los Frailles Beach, a craft market and drive through a couple of villages. It was a Long day and unlike our usual routine, our tour mates didn't really want to stop for a meal. I'm not sure what the aversion was, but it really left me grumpy getting back to the ship at 4pm without lunch. The morning also started a bit rough with the start of our tour delayed about an hour between shuttling to a parking lot, finding our guide and him being harassed by the locals and police (his license was national, and he wasn't know by locals). The entire shuttle,to and from the fishing port was not the best we've seen. We were basically dumped in a parking lot with no Celebrity staff in sight and harassed by cab drivers and tour guides until we found our guide. The port was a working fishing port with HUGE amounts of tuna being unloaded, flys and all, many of which made a home on balconies on deck 6. Housekeeping dealt with this well. But this is why there was no walking on the pier. Apparently it will be similar in Lima Peru tomorrow.

A few pics

A lookout point along the way:

ffbdad2689815e05d32259f82988e720.jpg

Mud baths:

9d00a0fbdbecfda5fe64bb8b48eea1fe.jpg

9c76f7e8a39d262feafb4ebaef864efa.jpg

3b708014aaf203206813fda457696347.jpg

8cef479019178f988d55b5f45354aed7.jpg

Leaving Manta

747d80c21d02e97ea6d95b98ecb29230.jpg

Tomorrow is Lima, Peru, we've been warned, no walking on the pier, they're dropping us off via shuttle at a mall. We were told the last shuttle back was at 4pm which was a bit odd given that we are sailing at 6pm and the only way back to the ship was via the shuttle.

A few notes about the cruise in general. There is absolutely no problem getting chairs by the pool but I have spent almost no time there, given our balcony. The gym is PACKED. We've heard mixed reviews on everything from the shows, to food, to service across the ship. It's all subjective and will vary server to server, meal to meal, experience / interaction to interaction. Our opinion is service in general is excellent from our butler Godfrey, he makes the cruise special with the Michael's Club Concierge (Lenny) who is very good as well. Luminae started off a bit shaky for us, but they're now in a good groove, try hard to please though do not quite have the professional polish we'd expect. The chef is personally preparing meals for us and has offered some very special meals which has been a nice departure from the Luminae menu which while good, does seem to get boring after a while. We've been disappointed with the wine list a few times when bottles that were previously available no longer are or on the list yet not available. Not a huge deal, but ship is nearly out of berries, hopefully they replenish tomorrow but I will not hold my breath,miss not like I'll get scurvy or something.

It's hard to complain about this amazing suite, and I know I mentioned some maintenance issues before. We've had a few more and a good part of our sea day yesterday was interrupted as they worked to fix a number of them, however there were some communication issues as I really just wanted two major issues repaired and the rest was just in the way. Eventually I kicked the workmen out and told them not to come back until the next port day. I was told they are working to fix the piano.

More in a bit...hello Norma and Heather

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Posting has been hard, Internet variable...but I wanted to post this pic of the chocolate sphere. It was good, but I think the novelty better than the taste. Maybe they wants too much of a show, but parts ended up bitter (maybe burnt?).

1b37ab40ce52fb4097b406b859f19406.jpg

Tonight's sunset, always a favorite at sea, lost of cruisers watching from above.

e49b102b10c0b04e2f4ae4da2afe9c59.jpg

Finally, we've been invited to the debut of Edible Cinema. It was mentioned in the sticky above on changes to Infinity. We've seen and enjoyed the movie but really look forward to this unique event:

993dfb7f5311729c9faae65c4d2421d7.jpg

The menu sounds really interesting. I hope it is executed well!

45a6334688eb17e54f570a1170df8384.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna