Dress Code Report from Sihouette

Cruzinram

Unfortunately, it seems that dressing up for dinner out is no longer the norm on land or sea. My husband and I like to go out to a nice restaurant (not just your neighborhood Olive Garden, Applebee's, or gastropub) when I'm not on call. I enjoy wearing "chic" clothing and dressing up a little, but then feel overdressed when we get there and people are wearing their shorts and sneakers. It kind of makes you feel like "why did I bother," and takes away from the idea of a special night out. I have tried to impress upon my grown sons that you clean up and dress up a little so your significant other knows you made an effort to make the night special. It saddens me that this is becoming the norm.

Edited by jabrown40

Unfortunately, it seems that dressing up for dinner out is no longer the norm on land or sea. My husband and I like to go out to a nice restaurant (not just your neighborhood Olive Garden, Applebee's, or gastropub) when I'm not on call. I enjoy wearing "chic" clothing and dressing up a little, but then feel overdressed when we get there and people are wearing their shorts and sneakers. It kind of makes you feel like "why did I bother," and takes away from the idea of a special night out. I have tried to impress upon my grown sons that you clean up and dress up a little so your significant other knows you made an effort to make the night special. It saddens me that this is becoming the norm.

You are so right. When I see a well dressed man enter a fine restaurant and immediately take off his suit jacket and drape it on the chair back, I ask myself "Can't you keep the damned thing on for an hour and a half in a good restaurant?" Frankly, I blame the woman for this decline. She has the ability to make a man toe the line, believe me :D

You are so right. When I see a well dressed man enter a fine restaurant and immediately take off his suit jacket and drape it on the chair back, I ask myself "Can't you keep the damned thing on for an hour and a half in a good restaurant?" Frankly, I blame the woman for this decline. She has the ability to make a man toe the line, believe me :D

Jackets at dinner are the height of impracticality. They are awkward, hot and the sleeves knock over your drink when you reach for the salt.

Jackets are for outdoors where they keep you warm. Indoors you take 'em off.

Jackets at dinner are the height of impracticality. They are awkward, hot and the sleeves knock over your drink when you reach for the salt.

Jackets are for outdoors where they keep you warm. Indoors you take 'em off.

Disagree. When I wear my Dinner Suit on a Formal Night, I will wear it throughout the meal. When sitting in a lounge later that evening, then I may or may not take it off.

It's funny reading people who can't comprehend ideas like "chic" and "designer jeans" complain about people in baseball caps and think it's all related in some big conspiracy to ruin their lives :D

Here's an image of someone dressed chicly in designer jeans, note that there's no baseball cap:

350x700px-LL-9ae989ba_742161.jpeg

Now compare that to the myriad of guys I see on cruises who wear suits that aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc. These people, to me, look far worse. You can't just throw on clothes and think they look good because they're considered "dress clothes".

Your second paragraph is a kicker!:p;)

You talk about putting lipstick on the proverbial pig!:eek::D

I'm almost 70 years old and can still remember my mother telling me to take my hat off at meals.

I was taught the same thing by my father. But since Celebrity seems to draw an older crowd 50 plus, it seems I see more of this generation ignoring the rule than the 30 somethings. I notice this at home as well. My son's 20 and 23 don't even wear hats in the winter and even my son who played baseball never kept his cap on once he entered the house. I never even had the etiquette conversation with them.

Now compare that to the myriad of guys I see on cruises who wear suits that aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc. These people, to me, look far worse. You can't just throw on clothes and think they look good because they're considered "dress clothes".

I couldn't agree more. This goes for the ladies as well. Spandex is a privilege not a right.

Those guys you see on cruises who wear suits that " aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc." , aren't going to look like your picture just because they're wearing jeans.

The jeans aren't going to help their style sense.

They're much more likely to look like this:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjg_TwXqAPgdTH0Ap94faSc_y7zTHmj2gA3H3ACCI_sGv-rHME

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjg_TwXqAPgdTH0Ap94faSc_y7zTHmj2gA3H3ACCI_sGv-rHME

I can totally see Geek being confused with Chic. Personally I think that after a certain age even if you are still in good shape it's impossible to look chic in dad and mom jeans. Celebrity is fooling themselves if they think at they are going to attract the 30 something single hipsters who wear skinny jeans. The cruise line doesn't offer any type of entertainment to attract them. They are delusional if they think that all they have to do is crank the music and allow jeans in the MDR to draw this demographic.

I can totally see Geek being confused with Chic. Personally I think that after a certain age even if you are still in good shape it's impossible to look chic in dad and mom jeans. Celebrity is fooling themselves if they think at they are going to attract the 30 something single hipsters who wear skinny jeans. The cruise line doesn't offer any type of entertainment to attract them. They are delusional if they think that all they have to do is crank the music and allow jeans in the MDR to draw this demographic.

Well said. I'm starting to think X executives have lost touch with reality.

The Tux has been dead for years. As far as baseball caps go, I don't understand why men are wearing hats indoors. Ok maybe in the buffet at lunch time when you go from out doors to in doors but I just don't understand why this happens at dinner.

I was proudly wearing my Tux two weeks ago on the Eclipse with many positive comments. A well fitted, quality Tux on a man will never be dead, why do you think those screenshots on the latest bond film always have him wearing a Tux.

I was proudly wearing my Tux two weeks ago on the Eclipse with many positive comments. A well fitted, quality Tux on a man will never be dead, why do you think those screenshots on the latest bond film always have him wearing a Tux.

I guess you were one of the 12 that the OP mentioned. My comment was to point out that the number of men who still wear a Tux is far and few between. At least this have been my experience since 1991 when every man wore a tux.

Well said. I'm starting to think X executives have lost touch with reality.

Unless Celebrity want to totally change their business model they will never have ships full of 20/30 year olds. But why the hell would they want to with ships full of older people with lots of money to spend. Celebrity don't need to look hip and cool, they make a fortune with what they offer now and as long as the middle age crowd like ourselves still enjoy it. Couples who are their customers for the next 30/40 years their fine.

I guess you were one of the 12 that the OP mentioned. My comment was to point out that the number of men who still wear a Tux is far and few between. At least this have been my experience since 1991 when every man wore a tux.

It's certainly dropped but I would say maybe 20% wearing a Tux on our formal nights so not exactly dead yet. Does also depend on the cruise line. On the like of Cunard and P&O it's probably nearer 50/60%

Edited by yorky

Unless Celebrity want to totally change their business model they will never have ships full of 20/30 year olds. But why the hell would they want to with ships full of older people with lots of money to spend. Celebrity don't need to look hip and cool, they make a fortune with what they offer now and as long as the middle age crowd like ourselves still enjoy it. Couples who are their customers for the next 30/40 years their fine.

Unfortunately we won't be around forever and as we get older and cruise more often we don't spend as much on board. I don't blame them for trying to appeal to a younger audience but they are going about it the wrong way. To me Celebrity and Princess are still attracting the newly weds and nearly deads with a side order of extended families. The single supplement alone would discourage any young singles from booking if they are looking to meet other singles. I think NCL has the right idea by creating solo accommodations.

We simply do not care what others wear or do not wear. It is not our concern and it is not our business.

We have no control over the attire of fellow passengers. So our approach is why sweat the small stuff. We go and enjoy ourselves. No use commiserating about what we cannot control and what has zero impact on our lives.

Edited by iancal

As a 30 something skinny jeans wearing "chic" dresser, I'd like to chime in. Wife and I will be taking our first X cruise this month (from South FL and have been cruising our entire lives, Diamond RCCL members since our teenage years... thanks mom and dad). I cannot speak for my entire age group, but the last place my wife and I would look for a party atmosphere environment is a cruise vacation, let alone a Celebrity cruise. Being in our early 30s, we find that we are past the spring break party cruise environment. When we want to party we travel to Las Vegas (or simply drive 25 miles down to South Beach). We cruise because we want to disconnect from work and relax for a week or two.

I do not believe that X is trying for the 20/30 demographic that is looking to party hard. My opinion is that the company is going after the young professional demographic that wants a high end relaxing vacation. And in case anyone is curious about what we wear on our high end relaxing vacations; the answer is dark skinny jeans, tucked in dress shirt, casual (unlined) sport coat, and leather dress shoes.

This is exactly what, IMHO, Celebrity is going after. Is the change to chic going to accomplish this overnight, probably not. Has Celebrity alienated a portion of their customer base, absolutely. The executives that run the show must have determined that alienating one group must be worth the future benefit of attracting a new group. Lastly, do I expect to see a dining room with some underdressed jean wearing slobs....of course I do. Fortunately for me, I'll have a lovely wife to distract me.

as we get older and cruise more often we don't spend as much on board.

As we get older we spend more on board, especially on good wine, even with a beverage package. We don't buy photos or jewelry but do use the spa and we've even gone back to booking some excursions through Celebrity just to avoid the headache of planning.

We have been on numerous Celebrity cruises.

We would not consider Celebrity to be particularly 'high end' We consider them to be mass market...not much real difference between them an Princess or HAL.

Celebrity is certainly our go to cruise line of choice at the moment. We very much like their Solstice class ships.