Tendering with kids?

anonmom

Can someone explain a bit about the tendering process? I am having a hard time understanding even the basics, such as how big the tenders are, safety, comfort, etc.

My boyfriend and daughter (4.5) and I are taking our first cruise next month (NCL Jade from Houston) and apparently we will be tendering in Belize City and Roatan (Coxen Hole).

I keep hearing nightmare stories about tendering: having to use lifeboats instead of real tenders, hours-long lines, getting stuck on tenders for an hour when the tendering process inexplicably stopped, passengers getting so seasick on the tenders that they couldn't eat anything the rest of the day, etc.

Is it really this bad? How often do these things happen? Assuming we get to use real tenders, how big are they? How crowded? Are there enough seats for everybody, or do they fill them to standing? Is it safe? How do you keep your kids entertained/distracted if it is a scary ride? Do they have life jackets in kids sizes or should I bring one?

And how long does it take to tender into Belize City and Coxen Hole?

I know it must be safe and thousands of kids must tender into these ports every year, but it just seems overwhelming and scary, since I have no idea what it will be like.

Thanks!

If you want specifics on your cruise I would post your question on the NCL board. Tendering can be handled differently in each port by each cruise line. They may use the lifeboats from the ship, they may contract out to locals who will use their own vessels, or a combination of both. It all depends on what is available in each port and how the line wants to handle it.

Overall, however, tendering is really not that bad. Of course you will get days where the seas are choppy, or again in certain ports there may be difficult areas and it might not be as smooth, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. With kids they will make sure you have a seat, and if you don't feel comfortable with what is left when you board you can always wait for the next tender. Don't rush to be the first off the ship, or wait to catch the last one and you will be fine.

The cruise lines have this process down pat, and it's not at all like you described. Keep in mind the tender ride is very short, so even if you're in a lifeboat, it's just for a few minutes. That said, once I was on a tender for about an hour because the wind kicked up and we were unable to safely pull up to the ship and board. The tender was full but I only saw one lady get sick. It can happen, but it's not the norm.

One way to avoid long lines is to not be a Type A cruiser. Let the frantic passengers take the first couple of tenders and then leisurely make your way to the exit. Depending on the system on your ship, you may get a tender ticket, and they'll call your number.

The worst thing you can do, IMO, is to convey to your children that it's unsafe and scary. I think they'll find it fun. The tenders are capacity controlled for safety reasons. No need to bring children's life vests.

I'm sorry you're so worked up about this. My 80+ yr. old mother safely tendered with an oxygen tank, so your children should be able to handle it.

Roz

Edited by Roz

I've tendered alone with twin babies without issue. As my children grew, the tender ride is often one of their favorite parts of a shore stop, as I'm sure it will be with your daughter.

I have seen the horrific lines you're talking about - but not in years, and years because the ships usually have a process to deal with it. Now for passengers anxious to get off the ship right away, the cruise line will usually pass out vouchers with a time stamp and only those with the correct time approach the boarding area, while others wait comfortably around the ship. I completely agree with Roz - if you let an hour go by before trying to disembark, you'll most likely be able to board the next one. Same in reverse - there often is a line at the end of the day, so get there an hour to half an hour beforehand if you don't want to wait in line.

Before they could swim, I used to have my girls wear their swim vests on the tender - not for the actual ride, but so in the very unlikely event one of them ran off and fell off the pier, they would float until I could get them. With two of you and one child (as opposed to my situation with two young kids and one adult), that shouldn't be any concern.

Best,

Mia

As this is your first cruise, you may not be aware what a a cruise ship's lifeboat looks like. They are entirely suitable for tendering. It's an enclosed boat with proper seats, taking about 120 people, they certainly don't allow any standing. I've only ever tendered on a cruise in a lifeboat and I'm very happy about that. You can't be much safer on the sea than in a lifeboat!

Tendering is actually kind of fun. You get to see more of the islands and enjoy it. The boats have lifejackets, and the rides aren't really that long. Normally it's just a matter of people watching or enjoying the sights. Carnival has you wait and one of the lounges and then when your number is called that's when you go to the boat. And yes everyone is sitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make the tender ride on 'the little boat' an adventure for the child. In Belize, it will most likely be a large tender with a capacity of 150 - 200. It is a beautiful ride, usually with some opportunity to get nice photos of the ship with only water in the frame.

If the waters are rough, they will stop tendering for safety. They are overly, abundantly cautious with tendering.

Not quite as adventurous as Mia, but we have twins also. The tender folks are very good about keeping hands on any kids while making the transfer. They will also move a stroller across, etc., if that is required. In general the cruise industry is good about accommodating kids, and this particular area tends to excel.

I don't think we've tendered on a lifeboat in years, but there is no issue with this. This is about the safest way you could possibly tender (but all tenders are safe.)

I have never found any tender to be uncomfortable, at least for the time you are in there. They are usually utility transports, but handle their task just fine. Like any boat, there can be spray along the sides, so avoid the outside near the bow if that could be an issue for you.

Ok, I'm definitely feeling better after reading these replies!

The funny thing is that when I first heard of tendering, it seemed kind of like a free boat mini-tour. I thought my daughter would love it and I didn't have any safety concerns because I figured the cruise lines knew what they were doing.

But then I kept reading reviews on CC where people complained about how long the tendering took, to the point where some people claimed they only had 1-2 hours ashore, plus all the examples I put in my OP.

I guess I'll have to just hope for the best. I'm sure those incidents aren't typical, so we should be OK. I'm not at all Type A, and we get in to our two tender ports pretty early (9 am for Belize City and 8 am for Roatan) so we definitely won't be lining up before arrival! I'm sure we'll be heading to breakfast around the time we pull into Belize City, and we'll probably be just waking up when we arrive in Roatan.

Edited by anonmom
typos

Is babywearing typically okay on a tender? I have never noticed anyone with a baby strapped to them (mind you I wasn't looking) but I can't imagine this would be a problem. Does anyone know?

Yes, we've done it several times. It's actually easier than using a stroller. A tender is just another boat. Smaller, but a boat.

OP: Don't know who you have been taking to but I'd suggest you stay away from them until your cruise is over. What you listed in your first post are basically the worst case scenarios. It's like telling people not to drive because the car will crash.

I've not been on the Jade so my answers are more general, you'll find specifics on the NCL board.

having to use lifeboats instead of real tenders,

A "tender" is a boat smaller than the ship you are leaving. In some cases, yes they do use lifeboats. I suggest you google photos of cruise lifeboats. They are not those little raft things from the Titanic. Some can hold over 200 people.

Other times the ship will use tenders from the ports they dock at, some hold almost 500 people.

hours-long lines,

This happened to us once (in about 15 cruises). While somewhat annoying, it wasn't as bad as you may think. For starters we were in line with a bunch of fun people. Also the line was right next to a market and store so we took turns getting out of line to shop or sit and stuff. The line was exactly 1 hour. I've also been on tenders where we walked right up to it-this ha happened several times.

getting stuck on tenders for an hour when the tendering process inexplicably stopped,

I have never, ever heard of this. Maybe once we were stopped on a tender while we waited to dock or another to pass. So we were "stuck" about 5 minutes max.

passengers getting so seasick on the tenders that they couldn't eat anything the rest of the day, etc.

Never heard of this either. If you have an issue with seasickness then be sure to bring medications or things to help with this.

Is it really this bad? How often do these things happen? Assuming we get to use real tenders, how big are they? How crowded? Are there enough seats for everybody, or do they fill them to standing? Is it safe? How do you keep your kids entertained/distracted if it is a scary ride? Do they have life jackets in kids sizes or should I bring one?

Woah! Deep breath, calm down! No, Almost never, see above(and all boats from ship to shore are "real" tenders, they will fill them 100% at first and once the crowd dies down just take however many are waiting. They will not overfill as that is not legal, depending on the boat you may have a seat, you may be standing(they are designed this way-it's like being on a ferry), kids love boats and it won't be scary, yes and no unless you are planning to use it on shore.

I know it must be safe and thousands of kids must tender into these ports every year, but it just seems overwhelming and scary, since I have no idea what it will be like.

Mind if I make 1 more suggestion? Go to You Tube and type in "NCL tender in Belize" or just type in "cruise ship tender". You will most likely get thousands of videos of the process. Watch a few to put your mind at ease. :cool: You're going to have a great cruise.

You you don't have to hunt so much I found 1 for you. Not your ship but give you the idea. The bar on the side will link to other videos

Edited by Lerin

While ship's tenders are lifeboats, not all lifeboats are tenders. Single purpose lifeboats are not designed for comfort, have small hard bench seating, no windows, and single engines. Lifeboats that are designed for use as tenders will have seating like a ferry boat (rows of seats sometimes with cushions), will have lots of windows, available seating on top in the open, and generally twin engines.

Here is a lifeboat in the first picture, and a lifeboat/tender in the 4th picture:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cruise+ship+lifeboat&id=3B433EE68CCDD479B0974793AEB0D0E4359DE90B&FORM=IQFRBA

Edited by chengkp75

My youngest was 2 when he rode on his first tender in Belize; Carnival uses the ones run by the port - at least they have every time I have ever been there. It is about a 15 min ride to short - the reef blocks the cruise ships passage closer inland. They are huge boats, holding a few hundred at a time and you can only take a tender if the water is calm (never seen it not calm in Belize due to the reef). You step on the boat from the lower deck of the cruise ship and there is staff on both sides to assist if anyone needs it. The kids love the boat ride (its a bit noisy with the engines) but being on the water is great and you can get some fantastic pictures of your ship. As for tender lines, it has taken me longer every time to get OFF the ship than to walk on a tender to get back. But we never wait until an hour before departure. We always book morning shore excursions and then the kids can rest before dinner and camp.

I have been to Coxen Hole in Roatan but don't ever remember tendering. Carnival now has a pier there so you walk right off. Regardless, that ride would be much shorter because you don't have the reef issues and are much closer in. Do not plan on however just heading into Coxen Hole your self as there is nothing to do except some small local shops and the town appears poor and run down. Please however, do not let that discourage your from going ashore. Roatan is one of the the most beautiful, undeveloped and friendly islands. Book a shore excursion, either privately (see the boards for tons of recommendations) or through the ship. We have done Gumbalimba Park and Tabayana Beach break through the ship. Both were great and the snorkeling from Tabayana is the most beautiful and easy (6' or less) I have found. The island is growing with more cruise ships coming to visit and there seems to be more to do each time we go. Most recently we booked a private excursion and did the Iguana Rescue, a local wildlife rescue, a botanical garden, some of the best local food we have had at a gas station with our driver, and a lovely drive around part of the island. This is both my kids favorite port!

Is babywearing typically okay on a tender? I have never noticed anyone with a baby strapped to them (mind you I wasn't looking) but I can't imagine this would be a problem. Does anyone know?

I baby wear on every cruise since my daughters first cruise at 1. We've baby worn while tendering in the Cayman's when she was two. It's not a problem. In fact I think it's much easier to baby wear than using a stroller so I might try and do it again this year when we go on a cruise two months after she turns 3. Notably she's very small for her age so, she fits.