R2 on Encore

Emperor Norton

Seems an odd choice for a ship. Sushi is reliant on the freshest of ingredients. It would be OK when in a port renowned for seafood but on the other days?

Most sashimi have first been frozen, in order to kill parasites. In fact, the US, EU and some provinces in Canada all regulate or recommend freezing fish to protect consumers.

Have you been to the world famous Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo? If so, you may recall seeing massive frozen tuna being handled and/or auctioned, although tourism visit is now restricted at peak periods in certain areas.

Unless the reference to "Sushi restaurant" is a bit of a red herring - the Silk Road (Nobu) on Crystal ships comes to mind; it has a sushi bar but it is so much more (yes, most foods are cooked), it is excellent and extremely popular. It could be that Seabourn is envisioning something like it.

Most sashimi have first been frozen, in order to kill parasites. In fact, the US, EU and some provinces in Canada all regulate or recommend freezing fish to protect consumers.

Have you been to the world famous Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo? If so, you may recall seeing massive frozen tuna being handled and/or auctioned, although tourism visit is now restricted at peak periods in certain areas.

I've been to Japan three times, most recently in July. Unfortunately I've never managed to get to the fish market but as a Japanese foodie and keen photographer it's on my bucket list! (I think it was shut due to holiday/maybe Sunday or our schedule didn't allow and the last time we headed straight to Kyoto). My mouth's watering....

If you had made it to the early morning fish market you would have seen that all the tuna and other fish is solidly frozen as it comes off the boats. That's how the best sushi restaurants buy it before using. So I think SB, like Nobu on Crystal, will be able to offer great quality fish.

If you had made it to the early morning fish market you would have seen that all the tuna and other fish is solidly frozen as it comes off the boats. That's how the best sushi restaurants buy it before using. So I think SB, like Nobu on Crystal, will be able to offer great quality fish.

Fantastic - thanks for putting me straight. Just need to get an encore trip booked now!

I am easily confused - I assume that Encore will have the sushi/ Japanese restaurant where R2 is on the older ships, and the special TK one below the Colonnade, as per plans, but on the other ships will R2 become the TK restaurant, renamed Signatures, apart from the casual menus of his served in the Colonnade?

Oh good a sushi restaurant.

One of the best restaurants at sea is the Silk Road on Crystal if it is anything like that then it will be a huge success.

I'm with you. An excellent choice and an opportunity to add value to the SB experience.

Henry :)