Lido Marketplace

Stratheden

I think it's just re-naming/branding to a more modern theme.

That's it exactly. It's no more than renaming the "stations" to less obvious terms.

We had the new term on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I didn't find the layout any different from that on other ships, especially the Vista/Signature ships in the same size/arrangement.

Are all ships being fitted with the new marketplace or is it part of a dry dock visit?

I know the Nieuw Amsterdam eliminated the Made-to-Order Sandwiches and redid that area to where they no longer have the refrigeration cooler that held the Deli Meats or the Grill. The Salad Stations are in the same location but no longer Self-serve including the salad dressing (which I thought created longer lines). I was told that Rotterdam also made the change at same time as the NA but we haven't sailed that Ship.

When Zuiderdam went into Drydock last April a friend who sailed her in October said they still kept the Made-to-Order Sandwiches.

Great question! We, too, are curious if all the Ships are going in the same direction as the Nieuw Amsterdam!

I was just aboard the ms Rotterdam, disembarking this past Sunday. It was a fantastic cruise! I must say, the Lido Marketplace aboard this ship was the BEST Lido ever. Every meal we had there was excellent, both in taste and in the service we received. I found the crew to be the happiest I've ever seen.

Sections are now: Bread Board, Distant Lands, Wild Harvest, Homestead, a Carving section, and Sweet Spot.

In the past, we have experienced very long lines continually in the Lido, but not this time.

There were some differences than in the past. These have been mentioned previously (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2251111 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241401 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2272838), so I'll share my observations from the Rotterdam:

The Salad Bar was no longer self-serve. But the presentation was excellent and the salad was fresh. I want to think they had a tray of extra self-serve salad dressings to the side of the bar.

We used to love the side salads. There were still some of these, already in small bowls in the appetizer section, to where you weren't touching the same serving utensils as others. (There was still a self-serve Mexican salad & taco bar at the Dive In/Terrace Grill that had some side salads, as well).

There always at least 4 choices of the pre-made sandwiches during lunch hours (& perhaps through late afternoon; these were also at the Explorations Cafe). I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 standard each day (HAL Stuffed Super Deli, Veggie Baguette, Prosciutto-Mozarella Ciabatta), plus another different one or two each day. I had every intention of asking whether or not I could order a Rueben or Wrap, etc., but I did not have the opportunity. There was not an attendant at that station at all times like there used to be. (There was an attendant available in the Homestead area, though, who would cook-to-order items on the skillet & also at dinner there was 1 specialty gourmet sandwich on the menu that the Homestead server would make-to-order. I witnessed this, so perhaps the made-to-order option exists at lunch, but I'm not positive). The pre-made sandwiches were refrigerated on the cold steel refrigeration plates. I tried one and it was delicious. The Club Sandwich is still on the 24 Hour Room Service Menu, as is the Steak Sandwich and Thai Wrap. I ordered the Club one day and it was as good as ever!

There are still Starters at Dinner. For some reason, they are not listed on the Lido menu. What's a bit different is that I didn't notice Shrimp Cocktail nightly like in the past and that there were usually 3 standard ones each evening (stuffed grape leaves, Italian meats, usually caprese or chilled eggplant), plus a couple more. These were on small rectangular plates ready to be picked up. Most of the time they were not the same as the MDR, unlike the past. But they were absolutely delicious. Whenever we ate in the Lido I would compare the Menu with the MDR and order a starter or chilled soup from Room Service if I wanted it.

The made-to-order pizza was really good. It was a thinner crust, which I liked. They also had salad, berries with cream, as well as dessert risotto balls.

Distant Lands still serves on both sides of the Lido at lunch. One side serves Asian food at lunch and the other, Italian for lunch and dinner. On my last couple cruises, Lasagna of some sort was served daily at lunch until 4 or 5pm. I was told this was the case at the beginning of the cruise, that they would serve it until it ran out, but cannot confirm if they actually had lasagna each day. (Although we ate dinner in the Lido most evenings, we didn't always eat there for lunch). They did have some variety of lasagna on the menu every few days. But every lunch and dinner, there was at least one specialty pasta in Distant Lands (in addition to one as a vegetarian offering in the Homestead section most nights). There was always the option to have pasta, sauce, ingredients, etc., cooked-to-order in Distant Lands.

On previous sailings, it seems like there was an overwhelming amount of dinner desserts in the Lido. On this sailing, they trimmed it to just a few selections + a nightly fruit crisp (oh my, they are good!). Every one I tried was delicious and I thought they were better than ever.

On previous sailings, there were more special meal events in the Lido (bbqs, international meals, etc). On this 17 Night sailing, there was 1 BBQ and 1 special dinner featuring Dutch, Filipino and Indonesian fare (this was also offered in the MDR and was an excellent meal!).

We were very happy with our cruise and The Lido Marketplace aboard the Rotterdam was the best Lido we've ever eaten in.

Happy Travels!

I was just aboard the ms Rotterdam, disembarking this past Sunday. It was a fantastic cruise! I must say, the Lido Marketplace aboard this ship was the BEST Lido ever. Every meal we had there was excellent, both in taste and in the service we received. I found the crew to be the happiest I've ever seen.

Sections are now: Bread Board, Distant Lands, Wild Harvest, Homestead, a Carving section, and Sweet Spot.

In the past, we have experienced very long lines continually in the Lido, but not this time.

There were some differences than in the past. These have been mentioned previously (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2251111 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241401 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2272838), so I'll share my observations from the Rotterdam:

The Salad Bar was no longer self-serve. But the presentation was excellent and the salad was fresh. I want to think they had a tray of extra self-serve salad dressings to the side of the bar.

We used to love the side salads. There were still some of these, already in small bowls in the appetizer section, to where you weren't touching the same serving utensils as others. (There was still a self-serve Mexican salad & taco bar at the Dive In/Terrace Grill that had some side salads, as well).

There always at least 4 choices of the pre-made sandwiches during lunch hours (& perhaps through late afternoon; these were also at the Explorations Cafe). I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 standard each day (HAL Stuffed Super Deli, Veggie Baguette, Prosciutto-Mozarella Ciabatta), plus another different one or two each day. I had every intention of asking whether or not I could order a Rueben or Wrap, etc., but I did not have the opportunity. There was not an attendant at that station at all times like there used to be. (There was an attendant available in the Homestead area, though, who would cook-to-order items on the skillet & also at dinner there was 1 specialty gourmet sandwich on the menu that the Homestead server would make-to-order. I witnessed this, so perhaps the made-to-order option exists at lunch, but I'm not positive). The pre-made sandwiches were refrigerated on the cold steel refrigeration plates. I tried one and it was delicious. The Club Sandwich is still on the 24 Hour Room Service Menu, as is the Steak Sandwich and Thai Wrap. I ordered the Club one day and it was as good as ever!

There are still Starters at Dinner. For some reason, they are not listed on the Lido menu. What's a bit different is that I didn't notice Shrimp Cocktail nightly like in the past and that there were usually 3 standard ones each evening (stuffed grape leaves, Italian meats, usually caprese or chilled eggplant), plus a couple more. These were on small rectangular plates ready to be picked up. Most of the time they were not the same as the MDR, unlike the past. But they were absolutely delicious. Whenever we ate in the Lido I would compare the Menu with the MDR and order a starter or chilled soup from Room Service if I wanted it.

The made-to-order pizza was really good. It was a thinner crust, which I liked. They also had salad, berries with cream, as well as dessert risotto balls.

Distant Lands still serves on both sides of the Lido at lunch. One side serves Asian food at lunch and the other, Italian for lunch and dinner. On my last couple cruises, Lasagna of some sort was served daily at lunch until 4 or 5pm. I was told this was the case at the beginning of the cruise, that they would serve it until it ran out, but cannot confirm if they actually had lasagna each day. (Although we ate dinner in the Lido most evenings, we didn't always eat there for lunch). They did have some variety of lasagna on the menu every few days. But every lunch and dinner, there was at least one specialty pasta in Distant Lands (in addition to one as a vegetarian offering in the Homestead section most nights). There was always the option to have pasta, sauce, ingredients, etc., cooked-to-order in Distant Lands.

On previous sailings, it seems like there was an overwhelming amount of dinner desserts in the Lido. On this sailing, they trimmed it to just a few selections + a nightly fruit crisp (oh my, they are good!). Every one I tried was delicious and I thought they were better than ever.

On previous sailings, there were more special meal events in the Lido (bbqs, international meals, etc). On this 17 Night sailing, there was 1 BBQ and 1 special dinner featuring Dutch, Filipino and Indonesian fare (this was also offered in the MDR and was an excellent meal!).

We were very happy with our cruise and The Lido Marketplace aboard the Rotterdam was the best Lido we've ever eaten in.

Happy Travels!

Awesome amount of detail you took the time to include. Thank you.

Just off Veendam Sunday and while they don't yet have signs up and other changes discussed in the Lido, they no longer have the rounded station with the grills/presses that were the sandwich station. The first part of the line (aft I believe) was where the pre-made sandwiches were. The custom "station" had been moved down the line and the server would man the hot food line when not making sandwiches.

Have to chime in here on the excellent Lido marketplace on the Rotterdam. I was on in July. The ship had recently been in drydock so had the new concept in total and brand new. I guess other ships are doing this in drydock and still others are doing it piecemeal as they go. Sooner or later all ships will be in conformity and there will be consistency.

The new salad bar concept is great - so sanitary - and you get exactly the makings you request in the proportion size you request - in a very cute modern bowl. Loved the Asian station - small batches cooked fresh and very tasty, with a different land each day, Thai, Indian, etc. Good meats at the carving station and the roasted chicken, always available, was fresh and juicy. The breakfasts seemed the same as before, just arranged a little differently, the omelet station, cooked to order eggs, Benedict eggs, etc. What was noticeable at breakfast was coffee and drink service served at the table. Always someone available and quickly clearing dishes - plenty of worker bees.

Did not try the pre-made sandwiches, but saw lots of people eating them. They even brought out trays of them to the embarkation area as we were delayed in boarding, and folks were chowing down on them.

The marketplace concept doesn't really change the basic Lido offerings, just puts them in a fresher design and a little different layout. With separate stations, there seemed to be no lines. They even cooked fresh scrambled eggs for me at the egg station. The pre-made scrambled eggs and the omelets are made from pasteurized eggs and I cannot tolerate the chemical preservatives and salt in those.

Good change for HAL and still using real dishes, not plastic ones like Princess.

Happy Travels!

Thank you for all the info on the changes on the Rotterdam! Glad to hear you enjoyed the Ship and had a wonderful cruise! :) We're still not happy about the elimination of the Custom Made Sandwiches but good to hear they had the Pre-Mades refrigerated on Cold Plates.

I was also on this cruise and agree pretty much with everything said; the Lido worked very well. The New York Pizza custom made pizzas were excellent.

Happy Travels!

Thanks for the detailed info about the Rotterdam. We are looking forward to our upcoming cruise on her...looks like it should be a good one!

Karen