Business class upgrade

sandbag7

I noticed the $999 upgrade offer on certain bookings, but I'm not familiar with the kinds of airlines Oceania uses; with flights from the US to Hong Kong and back from Mumbai this could be a useful upgrade; I know that it's subjective, but has anyone utilized this option? Thanks.

I don't know if the $999 offer is the same as a biz fair we accepted a year or two ago but suspect that it is.

In that case, you will be flying business if over water (as in a transatlantic flight, for example) but COACH if it is strictly over land. You should check the possible routes. I think they call it "restricted" business.

Mura

I don't know if the $999 offer is the same as a biz fair we accepted a year or two ago but suspect that it is.

In that case, you will be flying business if over water (as in a transatlantic flight, for example) but COACH if it is strictly over land. You should check the possible routes. I think they call it "restricted" business.

Mura

We are talking $999 PP each way, right? That would be almost $4,000 per couple round trip. Am I wrong?

I have been assuming that the $999 is the total fare, but you could be right. That's a good question to get answered!

Well I think that $999 total fare pp is a good deal, but $ 2,000 is not so great. I also assume that there would be no air credit so it is actually somewhat more than the cruise only fare that we usually take. Could add up to a lot of money so this may just be a come on that no one really takes. Would like to know the answers. I am just guessing. :confused::confused::confused:

Well I think that $999 total fare pp is a good deal, but $ 2,000 is not so great. I also assume that there would be no air credit so it is actually somewhat more than the cruise only fare that we usually take. Could add up to a lot of money so this may just be a come on that no one really takes. Would like to know the answers. I am just guessing. :confused::confused::confused:

The cruise usually includes economy air so if you add the BUS special fare it is $999 each way on top of any economy fare

you can take the air credit & book your own fare class Econ or Bus or first or FF

Do the research & the math see what works best for you

Edited by LHT28

The cruise usually includes economy air so if you add the BUS special fare it is $999 each way on top of any economy fare

you can take the air credit & book your own fare class Econ or Bus or first or FF

Do the research & the math see what works best for you

The cheapest multicity business airfare that I can find LAX-HKG & BOM-LAX (not knowing OP's origin city) is $4,158 on Etihad (a 5* airline) for random dates in Oct/Nov 2016.

I would jump on that rather than have O decide what routing/airlines they would choose for around $4000 (especially if there is a long domestic leg in economy with O routing).

Note - Air China is a bit cheaper but I would pay the extra for Etihad

Advice for OP - do your homework and research before you decide either way. :)

Edited by Paulchili

The cheapest multicity business airfare that I can find LAX-HKG & BOM-LAX (not knowing OP's origin city) is $4,158 on Etihad (a 5* airline) for random dates in Oct/Nov 2016.

I would jump on that rather than have O decide what routing/airlines they would choose for around $4000 (especially if there is a long domestic leg in economy with O routing).

Note - Air China is a bit cheaper but I would pay the extra for Etihad

Your thinking sounds about right to me. Thanks. :):):)

Rt Business for $1900 pp....VS $4000... PP............When I went to school that sort of appears to be a difference of over $2100 pp more!.... Where I live we dont consider that a great deal...

Id take the O fare with the $1900 rt add on..........but thats me Id rather save $4200 for 2 for a 2 to 3 hour coach ride.....

Rt Business for $1900 pp....VS $4000... PP............When I went to school that sort of appears to be a difference of over $2100 pp more!.... Where I live we dont consider that a great deal...

Id take the O fare with the $1900 rt add on..........but thats me Id rather save $4200 for 2 for a 2 to 3 hour coach ride.....

What you are missing Dan is that the $1998 PP is in addition to the air fare built into the cruise fare and available to be gotten back. For the destinations in question, a guess on the refund would be in the $1K to $2K PP and when subtracted from the Etihad fare would get fairly close to the Oceania fare with not being stuck with whatever routing and airline O chooses. Etihad is a great airline and the OP would also be able to choose his or her flights plus save the $175 deviation fee PP and any possible upcharge.

While taking the Etihad fare provided, might cost the OP a little extra, it might also save them some money and poor connections and flights. Sounds like a great choice and suggest the OP see what the credit is for making their own flight reservations and also see what type of deviation they could get to fly in early and/or fly home later. Very long flights and highly recommend coming in early and going home later.

Looks to me we are looking at a 15 hour or so flight. Where do you get 2 to 3 hours?

Edited by RJB

We are using their business class air for cruise in April out of Mumbai to Istanbul. I am pretty sure the air rate is per person per direction. It does get very pricey but we looked around and could not do better....and it is a long long way there and back I coach class.

We are on the same cruise. The dates are a little close March 20th and 11 April. We staying thru Istanbul are doing FF miles both ways.

Prices for business $3890 using Eithiad from ORD to HKG and MUMBAI to ORD (via ITA Matix site). Oceania would be 1998 + 1300 credit. So it is close but Eithiad is a good airline. Likely you would get stuck with UA thru Beijing to Hong Kong plus from Mumbai either BA or Delta to JFK or ATL.

Edited by PaulMCO