Be Aware HAL is Now Offering Non Refundable Deposits on Some Pricing

LAFFNVEGAS

Refundable deposits were a fairly recent change in policy. On our earlier voyages/cruises (in the 1970s and 1980s and at least into the early 1990s) deposits were just that - deposits. There was no refund of deposit if the passengers cancelled.

The policy regarding deposits differs between North America and Europe. I don't know about HAL bookings in Europe, but deposits on other Carnival-owned lines, such as Cunard and P&O, are not refundable. The amount of deposit in Europe, however, tends to be less than on North American bookings. We pay a 25% deposit on Cunard, for example, and in Britain passengers pay only 10%.

They book a cabin on NCL, a cabin on Princess, a cabin on HAL....... they hold them for months and decide at final payment time whether they want to cruise or not.

Or they book several different cruises on HAL and may or may not sail any of them.

how do you know this for a fact?????

There was a poster in the last month that said they had a few cruises booked and they would decide at final payment which one to take. Maybe many people do this and cruise lines are trying to put an end to it. I don't know why anyone would bother doing that. Seems like a pita to me.

Someone just posted yesterday that they were holding two cabins on two different HAL transatlantic cruises next year so they could decide if they wanted to take either. Look at the thread titled Prinsendam Transatlantic Question.

Edited by Jade13

Deposits have been non-refundable in UK for years (and in most of the rest of the world, I suspect) - if we change a booking, we lose the deposit (and the ABTA fee) - means we book when we want to - not on spec..

We don't get stressed about price-drops either because of this - we book, we pay, we sail - it's easy really.

Deposits have been non-refundable in UK for years (and in most of the rest of the world, I suspect) - if we change a booking, we lose the deposit (and the ABTA fee) - means we book when we want to - not on spec..

We don't get stressed about price-drops either because of this - we book, we pay, we sail - it's easy really.

So Lisa, do you know if this nonrefundable deposit prevents the booked pax from getting a price drop applied if one occurs before final payment?

AHOY SHIPMATES

CARNIVAL already has an "early saver" booking that is a NON REFUNDABLE CRUISE......When a deposit is non refundabe it is usually spelled out in caps where it tells you the amt. MOST OF US ARE SO EXCITED ABOUT BOOKING A CRUISE THAT WE SKIP OVER THINGS LIKE THAT UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE

sea ya

The Early Saver deposit is non refundable but if you cancel before final payment, you can move it to another cruise with a $50 fee or Carnival will hold that deposit till you decide on something. You don't lose it.

Early Saver fares are usually on bookings made several months out and you get OBC or upgrades up to two business days if the cruise price drops.

With Carnival you do not have to choose the Early Saver option at the time of booking. It is an option. Some people want their deposit back right away if they cancel. But you won't get price drops after final payment if you did not book ES. I sail a lot of Carnival cruises and am used to the options.

So Lisa, do you know if this nonrefundable deposit prevents the booked pax from getting a price drop applied if one occurs before final payment?

I have to say I honestly do not know that answer. But taking a wild guess I would say that they would allow the lower price if it did happen prior to final payment. HAL has and still does have a generous policy with price reductions after final and giving ship board credit. Other cruise lines are not nearly as generous.

I've been successful in gaining price reductions prior to final payment on three separate occasions for bookings in Australia.

HAL has now followed the Lead of Carnival and Princess with a new offer with Non-Refundable Deposits. This is something NEW and one must be aware that you may see pricing that is in some cases only about $30.00 per person lower yet in other cases with a travel agency having any special pricing the difference can be $300.00+ less per person. Also it is Non Transferable and No Name Changes. So you cannot just move the deposit to another sailing date.

My understanding this could be the waive of the future where once you book that deposit will be non refundable. It already happens with many River Cruises and other types of travel. As well of those in other countries.

My speculation is that by 2018 or maybe earlier all will require a non-refundable deposit.

I'm glad there is a "no changing your mind" option. I resent paying extra because the vendor has to estimate there is a chance that I will request a refund. Which is a cost the CL has to pass on to the passengers. To opt out and receive a discount is one way to reduce cost without reducing the experience. I consider a reservation to be a handshake by both parties.

The Early Saver deposit is non refundable but if you cancel before final payment, you can move it to another cruise with a $50 fee or Carnival will hold that deposit till you decide on something. You don't lose it.

Early Saver fares are usually on bookings made several months out and you get OBC or upgrades up to two business days if the cruise price drops.

With Carnival you do not have to choose the Early Saver option at the time of booking. It is an option. Some people want their deposit back right away if they cancel. But you won't get price drops after final payment if you did not book ES. I sail a lot of Carnival cruises and am used to the options.

In the past HAL's on board bookings at $100 per person were non refundable and good for 4 years. I believe that has now been changed where one can have their deposit refunded.

What is being discussed is non refundable deposits that cannot be moved to another booking.

We would never take that option for bookings 2-3 years away and especially if the discount is very small. We do not plan to cancel but as we know things come up. We do not purchase insurance until final payment.

Edited by Jade13

While I do not know for certain but I predict that within two years deposits for US and Canada cruises will be like Europe and Australia and they will ALL be non-refundable deposits but with deposits being at $100 per person, maybe more for a longer cruise or for Suites. I also predict penalty periods/final payments to start at 90 days and 120 days for Suites. This is already happening with some cruiselines/river cruises as well as Land Resorts.

US and Canadian travelers will no longer be able to be fickle and cancel when they wish. This will take away many last minute bargains and make for planning well in advance to have some lower pricing. The days of thinking you can wait till the last minutes will be a thing of the past.

Lisa your last sentence is of course the whole point, retraining the consumer to book early rather than wait. Of course last minute space may still open up as no one really knows how many bookings are just speculative versus people forced to cancel for legitimate reasons.

I'm glad there is a "no changing your mind" option. I resent paying extra because the vendor has to estimate there is a chance that I will request a refund. Which is a cost the CL has to pass on to the passengers. To opt out and receive a discount is one way to reduce cost without reducing the experience. I consider a reservation to be a handshake by both parties.

Princess got to use $2900 of our money for 10 months; that WAS the handshake. Like others are writing, I would not have made that "agreement" if it had not been refundable. Tying up almost $3K for a marginal itinerary (but the only one fitting our schedules at the time) was enough of a risk, and I'm sure they didn't have ANY trouble re-filling the cabins as they were very desirable, and they had 95 days to do it.

While I do NOT intend to cancel the HAL cruise I booked when I saw the much more interesting itinerary for 2017... I still would not have booked if it hadn't been refundable. The health picture of people of our ages can change drastically in 15 months!

So the idea that this change will make people book further out doesn't work for me. Without the refundable (although significant, dollar-wise) deposit, I would instead be looking at last-minute (after final payment date) bargains... and often that would mean not cruising at all, what with having to get FOUR people's schedules in line.

This is a Carnival company, as is Princess. All they are trying to do is make all of their cruise lines Mickey Mouse. Nobody else has this. Not RCCL, NCL, X,MSC, or anyone. Carnival Corp. is the pits. By the way I'm not anti Carnival, as you can tell by my signature. I'm also booked for 2017 on HAL.

Our next cruise is costing us $A10 000 for the two of us. We had to pay $1500 deposit which I am pretty sure is non-refundable. We have just had to pay the balance for the cruise in May. I think the balance is partly refundable for a while but closer would have to come under travel insurance. We have to be sure we want to go when we book.

These sort of conditions may be coming for all.

Princess got to use $2900 of our money for 10 months; that WAS the handshake. Like others are writing, I would not have made that "agreement" if it had not been refundable. Tying up almost $3K for a marginal itinerary (but the only one fitting our schedules at the time) was enough of a risk, and I'm sure they didn't have ANY trouble re-filling the cabins as they were very desirable, and they had 95 days to do it.

While I do NOT intend to cancel the HAL cruise I booked when I saw the much more interesting itinerary for 2017... I still would not have booked if it hadn't been refundable. The health picture of people of our ages can change drastically in 15 months!

So the idea that this change will make people book further out doesn't work for me. Without the refundable (although significant, dollar-wise) deposit, I would instead be looking at last-minute (after final payment date) bargains... and often that would mean not cruising at all, what with having to get FOUR people's schedules in line.

Though I wish you continued good health; Why should I have to pay for your uncertainty?

I have been having a battle with cancer for more than I year. I have planned several vacations in that time- some I took and others I didn't. In every case I balanced the uncertainty against the discount. And I must say, I have come out ahead in every case.

I would never think of holding up a cabin for a year or two. It's not fair to the company and it isn't fair to other customers. I have yet to be turned away because there were no vacancies or a suitable substitute. Plan to book late or plan to buy insurance, but expecting me to pick up the tab if you refuse to do either is not fair.

Lottie,

You obviously are quite sure that the "company" is charging you more because THEY offer me the chance for THEM to use my money for a year or more. I have no argument for such conviction.

Holding your money? Why let someone "hold your money"? For what? You want HAL to hold your money, then buy the stock. Plenty of rewards for them holding my money (OBC, dividends, capital gains).

When you're ready to go, when you're to pay for the trip, when you're pretty sure you'll be up to it, then pay the money.

If you don't have enough money right now- wait! A cruise is nothing to go into debt over.

Don't know how well your health will be? Wait! I am a first class example not to cruise if not in good health. All kinds of exposures can make a cruise a trip to hell.