Severe smoke in the Amazon

sbcatraveler

I tried to submit as a review of the Amazon trip on the prinsendam but was not accepted. I feel that people should know what to expect when traveling into the Amazon in Nov. December. We left on a bucket list trip from Ft. Lauderdale on the Prinsendam 11/24/15. We enjoyed the ship very much, and really had looked forward to the Amazon, and Devil's Island. Unfortunately the travel guides or info that I saw about going to the Amazon said nothing about the horrible air pollution of Brazil Amazon. They are burning off so much of the forest, and soy bean fields that smoke is everywhere and for 8 days was a bit much. The ship was great, but ventilation in the rooms, made the smoke even worse at night in the room, than on the deck. Nearly everyone came down with bronchitis by the end of the cruise, including many of the staff. What should have been an amazing cruise was severely diminished by the horrible air pollution and poor visibility from the constant burning of the forests, and soy bean fields. If I had known in advance, I would have picked a different time to visit the amazon, or not gone at all. We had so looked forward to the trip, and tried to make the best of it by enjoying all that we could. It is hard, to do when you can't breath! The stop to Devil's Island was canceled through no fault of HAL, but no compensation was offered for having to miss that stop. It was the stop that required a yellow fever vaccine. It was also a stop we were looking forward to a great deal. Getting a few bucks back for the port charges really feels unacceptable. That stop is about 1/9th of the stops of the cruise. Oh well, we did have a good time as much as possible, but 2 weeks later, I am still coughing.

I tried to submit as a review of the Amazon trip on the prinsendam but was not accepted. I feel that people should know what to expect when traveling into the Amazon in Nov. December. We left on a bucket list trip from Ft. Lauderdale on the Prinsendam 11/24/15. We enjoyed the ship very much, and really had looked forward to the Amazon, and Devil's Island. Unfortunately the travel guides or info that I saw about going to the Amazon said nothing about the horrible air pollution of Brazil Amazon. They are burning off so much of the forest, and soy bean fields that smoke is everywhere and for 8 days was a bit much. The ship was great, but ventilation in the rooms, made the smoke even worse at night in the room, than on the deck. Nearly everyone came down with bronchitis by the end of the cruise, including many of the staff. What should have been an amazing cruise was severely diminished by the horrible air pollution and poor visibility from the constant burning of the forests, and soy bean fields. If I had known in advance, I would have picked a different time to visit the amazon, or not gone at all. We had so looked forward to the trip, and tried to make the best of it by enjoying all that we could. It is hard, to do when you can't breath! The stop to Devil's Island was canceled through no fault of HAL, but no compensation was offered for having to miss that stop. It was the stop that required a yellow fever vaccine. It was also a stop we were looking forward to a great deal. Getting a few bucks back for the port charges really feels unacceptable. That stop is about 1/9th of the stops of the cruise. Oh well, we did have a good time as much as possible, but 2 weeks later, I am still coughing.

wow! thanks for the alert on the smoke. That's not good at all.

Really appreciate you informing us all as this way at least, people can make informed decisions.

Sorry to hear how this impacted your cruise.

Hope this clears up by the time we get there. We will be entering the Amazon on 16 Feb and have a bunch of excursions planned. Sure hope that the Devils Island stop is still a go, but I know there is not much that can be done about the weather as it is a tender port. Oh well we'll think positive thoughts.

Allan

I would not expect compensation for a missed port, at least I've never received anything. Devils island is frequently missed, we were lucky enough to get in while on another cruise line. On some HAL and Princess itineraries we saw a few years ago it was listed as a drive by.

We did not encounter the smoke in the Amazon but we experienced it a few years ago on a Veendam trip around the horn. There was shoreside burning along long stretches of the route, especially to the west. The old HVAC system could not handle it, I'm not sure many ships could handle that level of pollution. The ship reeked of smoke. Many public areas were quite hazy. I ended up in the medical center with reactive airway so I totally sympathize with your bronchitis. Most passengers and crew were coughing and hacking like crazy.

Is the burning in the Amazon region periodic agricultural burning of fields? And when would these periods happen?

Or is the rain forest being deforested and cleared for more agricultural planting, something that is happening on an ongoing basis? m--

Maybe it would be the time to get active against burning the rain forest!

I have been up the Amazon River 3 times , all at different times of the year and have never encountered a huge volume of smoke, only a small area. Would speculate that the burning is at the discretion of the land barons as have not seen a 'season' for burning. It is an amazing place and I feel bad that you could not enjoy it to the fullest.

HAL cancels ports as needed for safety and there has never been any 'compensation' except a refund of any port charges. Recommend you read your cruise contract so you will be better informed.

I'm very sorry to hear of your disappointment and understand the time, expense and discomfort was meaningful. Certainly very sorry to hear the conditions made people ill with bronchitis.

If this is a regular scheduled event done from time to time, one would think there would have been some knowledge about this burning.

I don't understand from whom you would think there should be compensation if you say that missing Devil's Island was no fault of HAL's. If it wasn't their fault, who should offer compensation?

The Amazon Jungle is the lungs of the Earth.

If they keep burning it soon we will all have trouble breathing

Don't many of the plants needed for medications and research for new meds sourced from this area? If they are burned away, they are gone to us forever.

Remember the movie "Medicine Man?"

They were burning the fields back then. Sean Connrey was a doctor in it!

When we were there it was the same way depending on the wind! I cried so said to see this Forrest being cleared especially by big corporations for profit! As a DDS I know a lot of our medicine has come from the plants in this area.

I am so sorry that you did not have a chance to really see this beautiful country!

Think of the indigenous people!

Denise :)

I understand from friends who have just returned from this same cruise that Devil's Island was skipped because of some military or training activities by the French Military. The Island is part of French Guyana. This happened to other people I know several years ago. That certainly is not something that HAL would be aware of or could plan for.

Remember the movie "Medicine Man?"

They were burning the fields back then. Sean Connrey was a doctor in it!

When we were there it was the same way depending on the wind! I cried so said to see this Forrest being cleared especially by big corporations for profit! As a DDS I know a lot of our medicine has come from the plants in this area.

I am so sorry that you did not have a chance to really see this beautiful country!

Think of the indigenous people!

I agree it is very sad and a huge lost to the world.

When do these companies get a conscience?

I agree it is very sad and a huge lost to the world.

When do these companies get a conscience?

You know what Sails? These companies HAVE no conscience just mere profit!

Just my opinion though.

We met a couple who were on an expidition cruise through the Amazon back in 2013 when we were at airports in Newark from our trip to Med. got to talking and they told us of there trip and the heart aches they saw with the beautiful Forrest being cut down and the bad smoke! We were there in 2002 and it was bad.

On a good note, glad to see you crusing again! Enjoy your writings. Have a good week!

We are also going to be on the Maasdam Amazon cruise in February. We have an excursion planned in Santarem, and received an email on December 13 from the company we have booked an excursion with (Big Tree Adventures). The message mentioned that they had the driest season in 50 years and cattle ranchers and soy farmers had not ceased their slash-and-burn activities. As a result, the forests on the margins of the fields caught fire. The fires had been burning for over 6 weeks.

Three weeks prior to sending the email (that would have been end of November) fire arrived at the reserve we are to visit. The primary forest has been reduced, and there was "smoke everywhere, even in Santarem, 50 miles from Tapajos National Park". Several indigenous communities had to move to Santarem until their villages were cleared of smoke. Hopefully, they will be back home by the time we visit in February, though the habitat will not be as it was.

The rains have arrived, as I'm sure most of you heard of the flooding in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. That should abate the fires and smoke, but the lasting effects on the rainforest will be devastating. I'm glad we are going now, but as others said, we can't afford to lose the "lungs of the planet".

To the OP, there is no compensation for ports missed. At best, if weather permits an alternate port may be substituted. I'm so sorry you were caught in the smoke, and I'm certain it was a great disappointment to all to travel in those conditions. I am glad Big Tree has prepared us in part for the potentially disappointing lack of forest, and will report back on our return as to the state of things along the Amazon.

Edited by Nanner

We are also going to be on the Maasdam Amazon cruise in February. We have an excursion planned in Santarem, and received an email on December 13 from the company we have booked an excursion with (Big Tree Adventures). The message mentioned that they had the driest season in 50 years and cattle ranchers and soy farmers had not ceased their slash-and-burn activities. As a result, the forests on the margins of the fields caught fire. The fires had been burning for over 6 weeks.

Three weeks prior to sending the email (that would have been end of November) fire arrived at the reserve we are to visit. The primary forest has been reduced, and there was "smoke everywhere, even in Santarem, 50 miles from Tapajos National Park". Several indigenous communities had to move to Santarem until their villages were cleared of smoke. Hopefully, they will be back home by the time we visit in February, though the habitat will not be as it was.

The rains have arrived, as I'm sure most of you heard of the flooding in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. That should abate the fires and smoke, but the lasting effects on the rainforest will be devastating. I'm glad we are going now, but as others said, we can't afford to lose the "lungs of the planet".

To the OP, there is no compensation for ports missed. At best, if weather permits an alternate port may be substituted. I'm so sorry you were caught in the smoke, and I'm certain it was a great disappointment to all to travel in those conditions. I am glad Big Tree has prepared us in part for the potentially disappointing lack of forest, and will report back on our return as to the state of things along the Amazon.

Please report back to us with your findings! I have my fingers crossed that life in this tranquil paradise will go on! I hope you are right! But big companies will still move forward at any costs!

To be able to see the magnificent rain forest is a wonder!

Hope a lot of people see it before it is taken away!

Have a wonderful cruise! Once in a lifetime!

Happy Cruising!

Denise:)

Don't many of the plants needed for medications and research for new meds sourced from this area? If they are burned away, they are gone to us forever.

Sail, you are so correct about the meds. Do know several companies are actively collecting flora in front of the clear cutting areas and cultivating it in hopes of having the 'cure'. IMO what is happening in the Amazonian region is one of the world true travesties!

Sorry you had this experience. Weather has a lot to do with this. We sailed the Amazon River in 2013 and it was absolutely amazing whereas just a few years earlier because of the weather people were bothered with the smoke. Same is true in China. Have been there and the pollution can be terrible but how bad and whether or not you detect it often is impacted by the weather.

Keith

Why was Devils Island missed?

I understand from friends who have just returned from this same cruise that Devil's Island was skipped because of some military or training activities by the French Military. The Island is part of French Guyana. This happened to other people I know several years ago. That certainly is not something that HAL would be aware of or could plan for.

An ESA launch from French Guiana scheduled for the day before Prinsendam's visit was postponed 1 day. Range Safety requirements close the sea area around the islands and coast for safety reasons. Out of HALs hands.

Wonder if, beyond returning the port taxes and excursion expenses, a glass of champagne was offered? We've had that happen in the past for missed ports. Beyond that isn't really reasonable to expect IMHO.

Nanner...thanks for the updating to the info on the fires in the Amazon area. We're looking forward to your report of your trip, so hopefully the fires will have settled down with the rains.

There are times in our agricultural areas where they burn off fields to help destroy pests, etc...better than chemicals. Sugar cane fields in HI are often set fire to. Sometimes they get out of hand...so hopefully this is not a "regular" occurrence to the Amazon adventures. Shall keep watch since this cruise is on our bucket list for sometime.