Carnival Miracle Long Beach CA

hartwickds

I am a veteran cruiser, I have been on 11 cruises, 9 with Norweigan and 2 on Celebrity. This is my first cruise on Carnival and by the way the check in process has been this will be my last! I arrived at the check in at 1:45pm via carnivals bus shuttle and directed to the most obscene line I have ever experienced. It is now 2:40 and we are waiting outside in the cold (freezing I might add) and have at least another 1 1/2 hours to go to reach the front of the line to check in. I spoke with a supervisor who claims 7 people called out sick. There approximately 12 spots to check in and only 5 people manning the check in booths. This has got to be the most incompetent and bottom of the barrel cruise line ever. I will never cruise this line again as I was met with both incompetence and indifference. Be forewarned anyone cruising on the Miracle!

Sorry to hear your cruise is off to a bad start, that sounds very frustrating. Try not to let the port issues ruin your cruise. Once you get on board you'll be able to relax and hopefully will have an amazing vacation!

Don't let the boarding anxiety and frustrations ruin your vacation. You have an entire week to look forward to. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. Everyone is wanting to get on board ASAP and start their hard earned vacations.

Everyone else on that cruise is in the same boat as you...literally and figuratively. Don't sweat the small stuff. The last thing you want to do is hold a grudge all week because of a staffing issue at the pier on the first day. By holding a grudge you will be nit-picking every small issue all week and will find ways to further exacerbate your unhappiness. Just let it go and go with the flow and enjoy.

I rarely complain about anything... When I'm met with total and complete indifference and incompetence this is my only avenue. If I could get my money back right now I would!

If it's that bad then use Carnival's vacation guarantee and you'll get your money back and you can go home.

Sailed the Miracle three times out of Long Beach. Loved everyone of the cruises. Use the Vacation Guarantee if it is that bad for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by JLee1973

Sailed out of Long Beach many times. Was on the Miracle in October and November and the Inspiration in December. All check in spaces were manned.

There is a horrible cold going around SoCal right now. Knocks people for a loop for a few days. Sis had to give up Rose Parade seats because of it.

As a person who works as a supervisor in the service industry, I am incensed at this OP. Have some compassion. Are you heartless? Sometimes people call-out sick...usually when you most need them. When you have called all the replacements to come in and either they refuse to answer their phones, or they too are sick (as another poster said, their is a cold/flu epidemic in so cal now), all you can do is try to hold things together. Usually this means over-working the people that did manage to come in and deal with the reality that they too will probably be calling in sick tomorrow! Is it too much to ask for guests... who are about to leave on a fun filled vacation...in the warm weather...for a little patience. This is to all of you who go or do anything that requires that another human being to assist you (and that is pretty much everything)...think about what might be happening that you don't know about. You know that neither companies nor individuals are intentionally out to make life difficult for you. Try to be patient and considerate and kind. And remember, while you get to move on from a bad situation, they are not only stuck in it but also have to deal with more unruly, ungrateful and dis-compassionate people.

( I did some editing since I was so mad that I resorted to name calling...which I apologize for...and have deleted).

Edited by amsred2

I am a veteran cruiser, I have been on 11 cruises, 9 with Norweigan and 2 on Celebrity. This is my first cruise on Carnival and by the way the check in process has been this will be my last! I arrived at the check in at 1:45pm via carnivals bus shuttle and directed to the most obscene line I have ever experienced. It is now 2:40 and we are waiting outside in the cold (freezing I might add) and have at least another 1 1/2 hours to go to reach the front of the line to check in. I spoke with a supervisor who claims 7 people called out sick. There approximately 12 spots to check in and only 5 people manning the check in booths. This has got to be the most incompetent and bottom of the barrel cruise line ever. I will never cruise this line again as I was met with both incompetence and indifference. Be forewarned anyone cruising on the Miracle!

OP- People DO get sick. Ship happens. Consider it a speedbump. Once you are on the ship, you'll be fine and have a great time. Really nothing you can do about it. Sorry. Hope you have a great cruise!!!!:D:D

Ok not to start anything but this poster is somewhat right, although people being sick really isn't the issue. We are veteran cruisers with Carnival and cruising out of Long Beach on our cruises has always been a bit of a challenge even as Platinum guests. We have always had to stand in line whether it was when they use to let you check in at the Queen Mary or waiting to board. We never understood why it was always outside and when boarding we would pass through this beautiful empty port building. But just a little hiccup on the way to a great vacation. Isn't stopping us headed out there again in May.

The boarding in Long Beach was HORRIBLE when we cruised out of there. Just a chaotic mess. It seemed like it was the very first time a ship had sailed from there. Nobody knew what they were doing. We were FTTF and didn't even get to board until around 1:30p, I believe.

Got things off to a stressful start, but as soon as we stepped on board the ship, the stress magically went away! LOL

We are cruising out of there again in a few months and are expecting nothing less than a nightmare. If it has changed, then we will be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately this is our only choice from Southern California. And it's all worth it, once you get on board. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I rarely complain about anything... When I'm met with total and complete indifference and incompetence this is my only avenue. If I could get my money back right now I would!

In hindsight, don't you think you should have turned around and gone home? That free Tropicana cruise didn't end up so free, now did it?

We usually just walk right on at Long Beach. Sometimes things happen, but it isn't the norm. We had a really bad experience in San Diego getting on a Disney ship, but it was a computer issue, not their fault. We will still sail Disney. I am sure that the employees there are doing their best, and bad attitudes won't make their job any easier.

I am becoming quite nervous about our upcoming cruise on the Miracle out of Long Beach with all the negative comments about their boarding procedures. I emailed the Special Needs Dept. (where I had requested wheelchair assistance) and was pretty much told to come at the non-peak hours of 10:00-11:00 or after 2:00 PM. We have to check out of our hotel by 12:00 to get the shuttle, so I guess the early time is best. I cannot stand more than about 15-20 minutes because of degenerated discs in my back. They said we would need to go thru security clearance and then enter the terminal to ask for the assistance. My question (which I have asked twice), is - is the long line & wait before or after security clearance? We usually get assistance to lift our hand luggage on the security belt also, at the other ports. How does it work at Long Beach? Our last Carnival Cruise was 6 years ago when we departed from San Diego - a wonderful experience any time we have been there.

I am becoming quite nervous about our upcoming cruise on the Miracle out of Long Beach with all the negative comments about their boarding procedures. I emailed the Special Needs Dept. (where I had requested wheelchair assistance) and was pretty much told to come at the non-peak hours of 10:00-11:00 or after 2:00 PM. We have to check out of our hotel by 12:00 to get the shuttle, so I guess the early time is best. I cannot stand more than about 15-20 minutes because of degenerated discs in my back. They said we would need to go thru security clearance and then enter the terminal to ask for the assistance. My question (which I have asked twice), is - is the long line & wait before or after security clearance? We usually get assistance to lift our hand luggage on the security belt also, at the other ports. How does it work at Long Beach? Our last Carnival Cruise was 6 years ago when we departed from San Diego - a wonderful experience any time we have been there.

Ignore the OP. He had a negative attitude about this cruise before he sailed.

Call again (or email them at specialneeds@carnival .com) and speak to someone else. I have traveled out of Long Beach many times, but have never needed a wheelchair. In the morning, check in is outside the dome or in the building across from the dome (for Platinum, Diamond and Suite). I have seen many people in there who need assistance. The employees meet the passenger and take them thru security.

If you get there later in the day, then check in for non Plat/Diam/Suite is inside the dome.

Edited by Rosefloater

Ignore the OP. He had a negative attitude about this cruise before he sailed.

Call again (or email them at specialneeds@carnival .com) and speak to someone else. I have traveled out of Long Beach many times, but have never needed a wheelchair. In the morning, check in is outside the dome or in the building across from the dome (for Platinum, Diamond and Suite). I have seen many people in there who need assistance. The employees meet the passenger and take them thru security.

If you get there later in the day, then check in for non Plat/Diam/Suite is inside the dome.

Don't ignore my comments as I did not have any negative attitude before the cruise! I was in a great mood until I literally stood outside in line for 1:45 to 1:50 minutes to board the cruise. If anyone thinks that waiting nearly 2 hours to embark is acceptable they are crazy! I would avoid Carnival Miracle like the plague!

Edited by hartwickds

Find a Blue Coat. There are some usually several outside the Little Building (Captains Lounge) area. My in laws were asked to sit and wait on the planter near here. You do need to tell them you need assistance.

If you arrive before 11:30 check in is handled outside and you'll need to wait outside til they open. When the doors open around 11:30 check in is then handled inside.

Long Beach has no large indoor waiting area. If it's raining, arrive after the doors open to minimize your wait. Only Diamond/Platinum/Elite are allowed in the Captains Lounge.

Don't ignore my comments as I did not have any negative attitude before the cruise! I was in a great mood until I literally stood outside in line for 1:45 to 1:50 minutes to board the cruise. If anyone thinks that waiting nearly 2 hours to embark is acceptable they are crazy! I would avoid Carnival Miracle like the plague!

....... and you were told what you experienced was an aberration. Long Beach has way more than 12 check in counters, more like 30 inside.

You never answered on your other thread why you went dressed for the weather? It's winter, it's cold, dress appropriately.

Edited by SadieN