Fountain Beverage Package Prices went up!! Is it worth it - how much is a soda?

Bramm3

Heading out on the Navigator in March and was interested in the Fountain Beverage Package for my two oldest kids. It was 5.50 per day - now is 9.44 per day (adult and child price is the same) I saw somewhere that a regular glass/cup was 1.95 and a can was 2.50 - have to drink at least 4 or 5 a day to make even.

My kids are not huge pop drinkers, but they enjoy it - and it is vacation. At 5.50, it seemed reasonable, now not so much.

Any recent cruisers know the cost of beverages now?

It might be just a one a day thing and enjoy the lemonade and fruit punch for free!

It was recently reported here that a can of soda was $3.50 + 18% = $4.13

I believe that was on the Oasis.

Now that is highway robbery. Convert to Canadian dollars that is 5.88 for a can of soda

We got the package for our daughter...wasn't too thrilled on the price but then I know my child and she would get very bored with the water and not so good iced tea. But I know she likes the occasional Sprite and Dr. Pepper.

I believe there is no Dr. Pepper in the machines. I saw a post yesterday that said the comparable choice is Pibb Xtra.

Or be like "The other" cruise line and require everyone in the cabin to purchase the package whether they drink or not.

In fairness to "the other" cruise line, they do not require everyone in a cabin to purchase the soda package if one person does. That policy is for alcohol packages only.

she would get very bored with the water and not so good iced tea.

Have you tried those flavor shots from the grocery store? There's probably 50 different flavors; most are priced $2-$4. Maybe bring along 2 or 3 different flavors.

I just mentally couldn't make myself spend $10 per day on soda. I probably don't spend that in a month at home.

I'd buy the package on a short cruise, like the 4 day on Indy in March. It was $37 for the four days and thats fine. I'll have one or two with each meal (except breakfast :p ) and one at the show and a few on deck. My husband hates soda, and hates the idea of spending $3.50 per can/glass so the package made sense. But if we were going on a 7 day, I'd have to think about giving up sodas for a week.

We were charged 2.50 last fall for a can of soda on Majesty. Spouse didn't think they tacked on the 18% but I think he may just not want to admit it. :rolleyes:

I may go drink plan free for my next cruise. I did the sodas plan for our transatlantic cruise on Quantum. It seemed to me the roughly $7 a day we paid was worth it. We had rough seas, but I was fine as long as I had my ginger ale.

I tried the premium last fall on our three night cruise on Majesty. I thought it was very worthwhile for that cruise. One of our stops was and RCI island where we got to use the drink plan all day, though.

Our next cruise is 7 nights on the Adventure, but we'll be off the ship 8am -4pm three days and 8 am to something like 9 pm a fourth. That's 37 hours off the ship, and I'll be sleeping at least 56 hours on the ship. I don't see any way I could possibly drink 35 drinks in the remaining hours I'll spend awake on the ship.

The soda plan would be nearly as bad. I'd have to drink 28 sodas per day just to break even! I don't drink that many in a month. :eek:

Edited by TravelinGert

Now that is highway robbery. Convert to Canadian dollars that is 5.88 for a can of soda

How horrid! I just got a 12 pack at my local grocery store for that!

But the most shocking purchase for us was the White Zinfindel, $32 on board, and $3.99 at our local grocery store!

What's with this 10x multiplier?

Then there's gratuity! They tack on 18% for the shared gratuity, and we also are "expected" to give another dollar or two to get better service! I'd rather they remove that 18% and just let us pay the people that do the work!

Edited by knittinggirl

Have you tried those flavor shots from the grocery store? There's probably 50 different flavors; most are priced $2-$4. Maybe bring along 2 or 3 different flavors.

I just mentally couldn't make myself spend $10 per day on soda. I probably don't spend that in a month at home.

True...I bring those for myself...I'll have to find one the kiddo will drink. She is very picky like her daddy. I told her that while on the cruise she really needs to broaden her horizons when it comes to food and try everything at least once before she turns her nose up to it.

Yes, the price of the soda only is up to $8/day + 18% gratuity (so $9.44). Even though the website is still showing a kids price of $5.50/day + grat.

We just sailed on Anthem over Christmas. Purchased for my son (13) and about an hour or so later, decided to upgrade to the Replenish package, after seeing that soda went up to $4.13 each. They credited me for the soda package and charged me for the RR package.

However, neither number ever made sense. Our cost for soda was about $70 and change, and the cost for the RR was about $80. Neither number works with the per day charges shown so I'm unsure just what happened, but we were happy to get it for almost 1/2 of what it should have cost.

Heck, I can get two 12-packs for less than the price of one can on RC at my local Giant when there's a sale (which is fairly often)!

But when your sitting in 90F weather by the pool in the middle of the Caribbean you can't head out to the grocery store. The conveinance store even closer to your house probably charges more than the Giant. I've spent $2600 plus airfare and hotel for this next cruise. I'm not going to worry about a couple more dollars a day. I'll skip one cupcake and one key chain for someone back home.

It just occurred to me to ask this, since no-one has mentioned it as a possibility.

Does RCCL let you bring any sodas with you on embarkation (in carry-on luggage)? It's been a year since my last RCCL cruise and I can't remember if I brought any on or not, or if I tried to. Have they ever allowed it?

Carnival DOES allow this (in cans only now, up to 12 12-oz. cans per pax) and in the past we've brought on a few cans with us. I'm sailing in 22 days on Independence and I'd hate to make a slightly embarrassing, though not too costly mistake. :)

It just occurred to me to ask this, since no-one has mentioned it as a possibility.

Does RCCL let you bring any sodas with you on embarkation (in carry-on luggage)? It's been a year since my last RCCL cruise and I can't remember if I brought any on or not, or if I tried to. Have they ever allowed it?

Carnival DOES allow this (in cans only now, up to 12 12-oz. cans per pax) and in the past we've brought on a few cans with us. I'm sailing in 22 days on Independence and I'd hate to make a slightly embarrassing, though not too costly mistake. :)

Technically I don't think it's allowed but in practice, it seems that people report it mostly gets through.

Edited by denatravels