24 days in Quest - our take on Azamara now

uktog

For goodness sake, please don't attack Bonnie!

She passed the concern along, received a response, and posted the entire chain of messages for our information. I don't believe she should be tarred & feathered for being the conduit for information.

Uktog, your very informed and well written review has been eagerly read by the CC followers of Azamara. Thank you! It must feel most unpleasant to have your words elicit the accusation of sneaking around the ship, poking into restricted areas. Shame on the AZ employee who inferred inappropriate behavior on the part of a guest, in an effort to explain changes in the fruit bowl offering.

But shame on us if we turn on our personal AZ ombudsman. I believe she was doing her job.

Hi Everyone,

I've known UKtog for years. She's a highly valued, appreciated & respected member of our Azamara forum. I've never had any reason whatsoever to question anything she's said. In addition, Uktog has been passionate about the Azamara brand for as long as I can remember.

While I sincerely appreciate Bonnie's time, participation, and insights on this forum, I wish the response had been framed differently. With all due respect, and IMO, it should have been presented about the topic at hand, and nothing more.

I'm going to try and be the statesman here, and say that we've all had our share of posts that we wish we could take back, or, in hindsight - choose our words differently. This forum has always been extremely friendly and helpful. Say what you need to say, but, let's retain the friendly approach. Please go easy on Bonnie and your fellow members. Thank You !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi -- firstly I am an Australian resident splitting time between Sydney and Cairns. I was shocked to see how poor the planning was especially considering Azamara and it parent RCCL have had a reasonably long resident association in Australia (North Sydney). There is no excuse for this.

Cairns is a fairly mundane location. if you don't get to the reef, Kuranda, Atherton Tablelands, or Port Douglas then yu may as well saty on the ship - these destinations must be accomadated for. Hamilton Island is a waste if you are not staying there and going to places like Whitehaven Beach. Mooloolaba is nice but can be a problem in bad weather and as such may have been missed if the weather was bad (go see Australia Zoo or just sit in the Surf Club). Brisbane is OK but the dock is quite away from the city which is not that vibrant apart from Southbank and Fortitude Valley). A day trip to either the Gold Coast beaches or Moreton Island is worthwhile.

Newcastle is great if you can get to the wineries and the restaurants in that area (also the beaches are fantastic but remember it is a working port and not really that ideal fro cruise ships.

Sydney is great but not at White Bay which used to be a container port on the inner city fringe. If Azamara can't get a berth at the Circular Quay terminal then the only real option is anchoring in Athol Bay and tender to the Opera House (the views are magical from Athol Bay under Taronga Zoo) - optionally at Garden Island/Rushcutters Bay but White Bay is a loser.

I know I have gone on for awhile but I hope those at RCCL Sydeey take this in as I want Azamara and its guests to come back adn have a memorable experience Maybe some new staff are required in Sydney and let's not blame the on-ship crew.

Hi Everyone,

I've known UKtog for years. She's a highly valued, appreciated & respected member of our Azamara forum. I've never had any reason whatsoever to question anything she's said. In addition, Uktog has been passionate about the Azamara brand for as long as I can remember.

While I sincerely appreciate Bonnie's time, participation, and insights on this forum, I wish the response had been framed differently. With all due respect, and IMO, it should have been presented about the topic at hand, and nothing more.

I'm going to try and be the statesman here, and say that we've all had our share of posts that we wish we could take back, or, in hindsight - choose our words differently. This forum has always been extremely friendly and helpful. Say what you need to say, but, let's retain the friendly approach. Please go easy on Bonnie and your fellow members. Thank You !

Could not agree with you more about keeping our forum friendly, and, just as importantly, open minded. Thank you Azamara and Bonnie for listening and responding to our queries. But please respect our voice. This is our forum. Enough said.

Thanks for the feedback on this - in answer to the comment I would be grateful if you could feedback to management, no I have never ever entered a service area, the memo was lying openly on the counter by the juice bar in Windows Café. I am not happy at the public posting of this inference that I have been anywhere in the ship I should not have been. I am also unhappy that management would even think I would do that and pass that comment to you.

I am amazed at the management suggestion that Ann could have been in the wrong area. She is a loyal, thoughtful and experienced AZ guest whose comments are constructive and helpful for other guests and management.

I hope this will not deter her from continuing to post on this forum.

I prefer the different way other cruiselines provide with the fruit baskets.

We have to fill in a form, which kind of fruit we prefer or if we do not wish some fruits in the cabin. I´m sure, so many fruits are throwing in the garbage every morning, I cancel the fruit baskets on every cruise.

There is so much to find in the buffet restaurant, if I want something I go and get it. But that´s only my opinion.

And about Bonnie´s comment: Ann posted her detailled review for all of us here what we all really appreciated and Bonnie sent it to Miami and what she posted was for sure, the answer she got from Miami. So Ann´s post was for the whole forum, as well as Bonnie´s answer.

Ann, I can certainly understand your distress that it was inferred you were entering service area's illicitly but I am sure that Bonnie did not intend that and was just reporting what an seriously inept Azamara manager had said. Unfortunately, things can come across in the written word that are not intended and I am sure Bonnie will clarify that with you. It was also very nice to see our Host Andy leaping to your defence as a valued contributor to the forum.

As to the fruit issue, I rarely eat any in my cabin.....I prefer the melon and berries at breakfast, so the fruit basket is wasted on me. However I know someone who adores the grapes.....just as long as they are the green grapes only! :D

I do think that we (those reading Bonnie's post) are being overly defensive here, and inferring too much from what was written.

Certainly "shooting the messenger" is uncalled for, especially given how much she does for us on these boards. Would the alternative, and definitely easier and safer route for Azamara, of not corresponding with us at all on these boards in such an open, regular, and engaging manner, be preferable? For example, see the automatons that other lines have on other boards, posting generic statements a couple of times a month and certainly not hearing what is being said...

Whilst the response from management re, the memo is a bit odd on first glance, I do interpret it slightly differently now, reading it to say that they are "unsure where uktog saw the memo, because such an item would normally be posted in service areas, and guests are (unlikely to be) entering such areas...". I don't see it as being accusatory, but rather fishing for a response which will reveal where it was seen (perhaps a crew member showed it to the guest, since highly unlikely a guest saw it in the service area). This is obviously important information, as such a memo is a confidential internal communication, and finding out how it got into the public eye is necessary. I certainly don't see it as inferring uktog entered a service area, it wouldn't make any sense to infer that.

Also keep in mind that (and this is not a personal attack on you uktog, but rather stating facts - having not sailed Azamara before, I greatly enjoyed and much appreciated your review and other input on this board) the internal housekeeping memo is a confidential internal document. Even though it was misplaced in a public area (which can happen, everyone makes mistakes) it does not, rightly or wrongly, give one the right to read and digest such a document, and certainly not to advertise an internal message publicly. I am sure it was quite clear on glancing at the memo, that it was not intended for guest consumption?

Finally, food wastage and excess is a cause quite close to my heart, and stateroom fruit bowls must see some of the highest unnecessary wastage at sea. In my opinion, it is not about paying extra, because this doesn't solve the waste problem and ultimately manifests for many as the highly privileged "paying for the option to waste" (even though the primary reason for the cutbacks by the cruise line is undoubtedly the bottom line, and not a moral "reduce waste" stance). Even the proposal of selecting your preferred fruit at embarkation doesn't entirely solve the problem on many routes, because the ship must still load sufficient fruit of all kinds upfront to cover unknown passenger choices, which could vary significantly. And people would by default take fruit every day even if not planning to eat it ("I must get what I paid for..."). Better to eliminate fruit bowls entirely and have it ordered on a case by case basis eg. by room service, if necessary.

I am very sorry the response I posted from Azamara caused such offense. Please accept my personal apology on behalf of all of us. I shall henceforth be much more circumspect and edit any 3rd party responses more fully.

All of us at Azamara have great respect for the OP, and I certainly did not mean disrespect.

I've read all the responses on this thread, those rallying to the OP's defense and those rallying to ensure Azamara maintains an ombudsman on this forum. Both sides reflect such passion for the community and for our brand. Thank you.

I am very sorry the response I posted from Azamara caused such offense. Please accept my personal apology on behalf of all of us. I shall henceforth be much more circumspect and edit any 3rd party responses more fully.

All of us at Azamara have great respect for the OP, and I certainly did not mean disrespect.

I've read all the responses on this thread, those rallying to the OP's defense and those rallying to ensure Azamara maintains an ombudsman on this forum. Both sides reflect such passion for the community and for our brand. Thank you.

Nicely done Bonnie.

Ann, I can certainly understand your distress that it was inferred you were entering service area's illicitly but I am sure that Bonnie did not intend that and was just reporting what an seriously inept Azamara manager had said. Unfortunately, things can come across in the written word that are not intended and I am sure Bonnie will clarify that with you. It was also very nice to see our Host Andy leaping to your defence as a valued contributor to the forum.

As to the fruit issue, I rarely eat any in my cabin.....I prefer the melon and berries at breakfast, so the fruit basket is wasted on me. However I know someone who adores the grapes.....just as long as they are the green grapes only! :D

I guess that would be me :):):)

Think Ann's idea of a card to request fruit to avoid wastage is excellent and would be very easy to implement.

The Green Grape Queen

Thank you for sharing your insights with us Bonnie. Much appreciated !

I trust this will put an end to this matter.

Edited by Host Andy

I am very grateful to Bonnie for being an ombudsman on this site and for Azamara's wisdom in retaining Bonnie to monitor and respond to client concerns. The only issue on this site that I posted repeatedly on was the tub vs shower debate, since the primary reason my husband and I book a CC suite is for the tub. (The specialty restaurant access is nice, too, and one we avail ourselves of). Bonnie was very responsive to all that posted on this issue, and happily Azamara ultimately decided to retain tubs in some CC suites. This resolution kept me as a happy customer and I'm looking forward to being on Azamara next Christmas (2016) for the Singapore/Bali cruise.

We love the friendliness of the Azamara staff and the longer stays and interesting itineraries. While I follow the site and read others' posts on all issues (it's entertaining, and often informative and with some good suggestions for the home office) it seems some are focussing on minutiae... cranberry sauce...grapes... but that's okay-- my understanding is that this is meant to be a welcoming site for all to be able to express their opinions! Happy cruising to all!

To continue fruit-gate: as most fruit lies uneaten in our a cabin too, I also second the idea of a fruit menu, or an option to say you don't want any.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

No need for a fruit menu, just tell the room attendant or Butler that you don't need it! We've left a note before and thats worked fine.

Edited by Azamarajunkie

To continue fruit-gate: as most fruit lies uneaten in our a cabin too, I also second the idea of a fruit menu, or an option to say you don't want any.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Agree.

I would expand that menu to include the turn-down pastries.

My wife can't eat them and, in a fit of virtuous behaviour at the end of the day, I always belatedly exercise my strength of character by rejecting their allure.

It sometimes takes a few days to catch up with the room stewards to cancel their delivery.

In both cases, the wastage seems unforgivable.

Is it possible that these issues could be dealt with in a simple manner at on-line check in?

Agree.

I would expand that menu to include the turn-down pastries.

My wife can't eat them and, in a fit of virtuous behaviour at the end of the day, I always belatedly exercise my strength of character by rejecting their allure.

They aren't as tasty as they look. 😉

True, but a standard form might be useful for the attendants: easily read and easily filed.

Sure it might be useful, but there's no reason without a form not to speak up and say "we won't eat bananas or apples so please give us grapes and oranges." Why let them continue to give you fruit you won't eat and then complain about the waste here after the fact?

Sure it might be useful, but there's no reason without a form not to speak up and say "we won't eat bananas or apples so please give us grapes and oranges." Why let them continue to give you fruit you won't eat and then complain about the waste here after the fact?

Well, we do speak up but, given our obvious frailties of the mind, it's not always top of our list on the day we board. As I stated we usually don't get onto that issue until the second day or so of the cruise.

We blame ourselves for that failing, and that is why it is "unforgivable" that the wastage occurs in the first place.

That's why, and I can only speak in our case, the "menus" would help.

Edited by nordski

IMO, no mea culpa from you is required. The person who responded from you must have taken the "blame the customer" class in business school. I appreciate all you do to keep us informed and chase down answers to our burning questions. Soldier on.:)

Well, my first Azamara cruise is coming up in late August; we'll see if it is once and done. I absolutely hate lamb, don't eat raw stuff, and don't like duck. I may not have to worry about my diet during the 14 days.

Same. My first Azamara will be in July. I am really hoping that it is going to be as wonderful as my travel agent advised. We are celebrating my birthday milestone as well as out 30th wedding anniversary. We paid a lot more for this cruise then we usually spend and my expectations are set very high....Azamara, please don't let us down.