Possible snow diversion this week from NY

rsail203

We're scheduled for a back to back starting Sunday on the Allure OTS. We can't go earlier than Saturday afternoon and I booked a backup flight for Sunday early AM. If the snow storm blocks both of these flights and we can't make the start of the cruise, what are our options?

I assume we should notify Royal Caribbean that we are planning to catch the ship as soon as we can. Is there a number to call for this?

The second day, the ship goes to Labadee. Am I correct, that we can't join the cruise there?

That leaves Jamaica as the next port. Is there anything I should know in advance about flying there to join the cruise?

Thank you in advance for any info that you can give me.

It's ironic that you can make plans months in advance to give yourself that extra day(instead of flying in the day of) and that extra day is the one that can get snowed on.

Rich

Hope all goes well.

No I doubt you can catch it in Labadee. I'm sure there are a fair number of flights into MoBay in Jamaica. I'd call RCCL to get any needed info on boarding there if necessary.

Things might be just fine, who can believe the weather man??:)

We're scheduled for a back to back starting Sunday on the Allure OTS. We can't go earlier than Saturday afternoon and I booked a backup flight for Sunday early AM. If the snow storm blocks both of these flights and we can't make the start of the cruise, what are our options?

I assume we should notify Royal Caribbean that we are planning to catch the ship as soon as we can. Is there a number to call for this?

The second day, the ship goes to Labadee. Am I correct, that we can't join the cruise there?

That leaves Jamaica as the next port. Is there anything I should know in advance about flying there to join the cruise?

It's ironic that you can make plans months in advance to give yourself that extra day(instead of flying in the day of) and that extra day is the one that can get snowed on.

Rich

Obviously things can change over the next couple of days but the latest I am hearing is the major snow fall will be later Saturday into Sunday for the east coast area so afternoon flights may can out on Saturday.

Hope all goes well.

No I doubt you can catch it in Labadee. I'm sure there are a fair number of flights into MoBay in Jamaica. I'd call RCCL to get any needed info on boarding there if necessary.

Things might be just fine, who can believe the weather man??:)

We will see if any ships go to Labadee next week. Jamaica would be three days into the cruise. I'm not sure I'd even put the effort into meeting the ship then.

I think I would be planning an additional back-up of driving down to Cape Liberty. I would be checking road conditions and be ready to go if the main highways are open.

Good luck.

What is he going to do at Cape Liberty when Allure leaves from Ft. Lauderdale?

Kind of a long shot, but can you change one of those flights to leave from further north? It's looking now like the storm is going to take a more southerly track, and here in northern MA we're not going to be getting much at all. Maybe leave from Manchester NH (where local news is saying it's going to be a non-event).

Of course, knowing New England weather, that means we'll end up with three feet.

So we will have the second week as well as half the first if we can't get on in time.

Not driving to Cape Liberty. Flying to Fort Lauderdale.

Rich

Yes, I forgot you are doing a back to back. That would make it worth catching up with the ship.

Kind of a long shot, but can you change one of those flights to leave from further north? It's looking now like the storm is going to take a more southerly track, and here in northern MA we're not going to be getting much at all. Maybe leave from Manchester NH (where local news is saying it's going to be a non-event).

Of course, knowing New England weather, that means we'll end up with three feet.

Providence could work too. Southwest flies from there to FLL.

What is he going to do at Cape Liberty when Allure leaves from Ft. Lauderdale?

Reading comprehension is a big fail!:o

I was thinking Anthem and have to admit I was puzzled.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

Maybe OP could drive to a different airport and then fly to Florida.?

I just checked United's website (have friends in PR) and they are allowing for no fee changes for any flight into/out of most airports up and down the east coast (south into NC and TN and as far north as NH) from Friday through Sunday.

Of course, they have not perfected the track of the storm, but now is a good time to try and work something else out so that you can make a change before everyone else changes their flights and there's nothing left.

I just checked United's website (have friends in PR) and they are allowing for no fee changes for any flight into/out of most airports up and down the east coast (south into NC and TN and as far north as NH) from Friday through Sunday.

Of course, they have not perfected the track of the storm, but now is a good time to try and work something else out so that you can make a change before everyone else changes their flights and there's nothing left.

I did this a couple of years ago and it ended up perfectly. The flight to PR was empty as many got stuck in Canada and didn't make connecting flights. The line up of bedraggled passengers greeting the ship in Aruba was really sad.

Hope all works out for you.

We played the weather game years ago I was in Florida on Buisness I drove.Storm was predicted for Fri before Sun dep. My wife changed Flts hers and children's to thurs. Stand by,kept original flts for fri,storm sped up wiped out all flts for days in Ny .My son drove to Philly no snow, third set of flts,all worked out Except Cc for all the Tckts was maxed,waiting on refunds JJ

Very stressful for my wife and of course me by osmosis

Get in car and drive to Fla before storm hits! To drivers 22 hrs to fll

Edited by nolimits

This made me think about a question, are the passport requirements different when you fly? I know you don't need a passport to cruise but what if you have to fly to one of the ports?

Good luck.

All of Southwest's flights in other airports are booked solid now. We hope to get there on either the Saturday or Sunday flight previously booked. Southwest is allowing storm changes now, but there's nothing available. If we go later and then go to Jamaica, we do have passports

Rich

I am on the Allure this weekend too. I hope you are able to make it Sunday.

There is a travel emergency number that is for situations like yours when you are unable to make the ship. It is in your documents and under the FAQ's on the RCCL website. They will tell you what you need to do to make the ship in another port, and also advise the ship that you are still enroute and not cancelling the cruise.

Good Luck!!!!

Well since you can't switch flights, I'd be ready to drive. Since you can't leave prior to Saturday afternoon, I'd see what the weather looks like on Saturday, and have the car prepared.

We have a flight from Trenton airport on Feb 20. No other flights are going out that day from that airport. We're prepared to start driving Friday night if it looks like our flight won't take off.

I'd forget about even driving --- roads might be passable on LI, but good luck trying to get through in NJ, DE, MD... Saturday is going to be the heart of the storm (Fri PM-Sun AM storm here in CNJ).

If it were me, I'd be looking at flights from the Albany (ALB) on Saturday (they do exist, and at $300pp, aren't terribly overpriced). Drive or Amtrak on Friday before the snow gets going too much.

That's just my $.02.

12 inches for DC Balt Richmond. Can't go around. Starting Fri early and ending Sat night. Go Fri morning, drive like you stole it ant hit the snow at Richmond. But NE-Snow and-Delay don't go together . My wife is a NY Italian who says everyone eats snow in NY. CSX will keep the tracks open, my nephew is a conductor for them so Amtrak will run with delays. Take it. I'd say get on the early one and get out, 1-3 inches Fri by 5Pm in DC and up to 12 inches overnight into Sat morning.

Edited by WupperAV

12 inches for DC Balt Richmond. Can't go around. Starting Fri early and ending Sat night. Go Fri morning, drive like you stole it ant hit the snow at Richmond. But NE-Snow and-Delay don't go together . My wife is a NY Italian who says everyone eats snow in NY. CSX will keep the tracks open, my nephew is a conductor for them so Amtrak will run with delays. Take it. I'd say get on the early one and get out, 1-3 inches Fri by 5Pm in DC and up to 12 inches overnight into Sat morning.

Latest is 18-24 inches and a blizzard watch in DC Friday (exact time TBD) into Sunday morning; driving is not a good idea!

Rich

The only hope you have is if the storm fizzles out because you will not be leaving on Sat.