Qm2

hunt182644

sometimes I wonder if we hear the true sounds or just what the microphone on the webcam picks up. Could be changed by the wind or depend on where the ship is when it blows the horn. Sometimes the HAL ships have great sounds and other times, they need vitamins!:)

As someone who has sailed in Queen Mary 2 six times and in addition watched - and heard - her arrive and/or depart Quebec and Halifax numerous times, I can say the sirens/horns/whistles (call them what you will) make a most impressive sound. One of them is an original from the Queen Mary.

I have sailed twice on QM2 and enjoyed her Noon whistle testing on sea days.

Her Tyfon horns are more impressive than todays diesel horns, but in their current form powered by compressed air they pale in comparison to when they were fed by steam as originally designed.

OP...Unfortunately most of us were monitoring the above thread about the QM2 Sailaway today.. You might want to ask the hosts to combine your thread with the other one..This is not your fault....

Check out post No. 82 on that thread "unusual Ft. Lauderdale Sailaway" where Boytjie explains the QM2's horns..

Not this OP's fault here as no one would guess what the other thread was about unless you actually looked at it..

IMO duplicate threads could be avoided if thread titles were made clear initially, as this one was..

I thought the horns sounded quite impressive. The second lot of blasts were very loud, and the condo dwellers certainly appreciated, and returned with blasts from airhorns and rang those cowbells.

OP, there was a sailaway thread, you should have come and joined us.

I thought the horns sounded quite impressive. The second lot of blasts were very loud, and the condo dwellers certainly appreciated, and returned with blasts from airhorns and rang those cowbells.

OP, there was a sailaway thread, you should have come and joined us.

I also thought the horns sounded "authoratative" and glad that the ship's Master chose to sound the departure signal since it was dark when she sailed.

Looking forward to hearing Queen Victoria tomorrow.

I, too, thought the horns sounded very impressive. Much better than the usual cruise ships.

Maybe it was your computer.

Compared to some of the other ships that sail out of port. After reading about how great the horns of QM2 was I was not impressed. The ship itself looked impressive.

The QM2 horn is pretty impressive when on the ship, especially when they sound the original horn. But there is no longer any pride when it comes to ship horns. We were recently on the Regal Princess and were "blown away" when their horn played "The Love Boat." And then there are the Disney horns!

Hank