Wine in Dining Room

aquarion

I know you are allowed to bring 1 bottle on wine on board. Will they allow you to drink it in the dining room or will they charge a corkage fee?

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633

On our last cruise in October, I called room service and the guy came with a corkscrew and opened all four bottles for me at once - no corkage fee. I just stuck the corks back in. He got a generous tip. :)

So........do that and just carry the bottle into MDR.

Edited by 2chilover

On our last cruise in October, I called room service and the guy came with a corkscrew and opened all four bottles for me at once - no corkage fee. I just stuck the corks back in. He got a generous tip. :)

The corkage fee has nothing to do with who removes the cork. The MDR could still charge you a corkage fee for bringing your uncorked bottle to dinner.

Edited by Capo Capitan

We always open the wine pour a glass in the room, bring the glasses and open bottle to the Dr. We were never charged or even questioned about our wine. We brought 8 bottles in from San Juan. We kept on going downstairs at the port and bought 2 more bottles, 4 times.

yes cork screws are permissible. We get one with a foil cutter, not a knife. There are wine glasses in your room. The room steward brought us new ones every day. You cn also go to any bar and ask for a couple a of wine glasses.

I know you are allowed to bring 1 bottle on wine on board. Will they allow you to drink it in the dining room or will they charge a corkage fee?

I don't think they care, it's been more loose the last couple of years.

FYI: Only Suites have wine glasses. The glasses provided in all other cabins are water goblets - they are different. And if you stroll into the MDR carrying a water goblet filled with wine, it will be recognizable as such.;) Now, y'all, relax: I'm just letting you know in case it matters to you. I'm not passing any judgement, here.:rolleyes::p

If you want an actual wine glass and don't happen to be in a suite, you can order some empty wine glasses from Room Service (specify white or red or both), or you can ask for an empty wine glass from any (indoor) bar.;)

Where do you get your empty glasses? Room service? For this or even if we wanted a glass in our room.

When we meet our room steward we ask him to make sure we have four white wine glasses in our cabin each day.

I carry a pocket knife with cork screw with me on every cruise.

Last cruise on Princess somehow broke my cork screw. Brought bottle of wine to DR and asked asst waiter to open it. He did but said if we drink it in DR he would have to charge corkage.

For our second bottle borrowed corkscrew from room steward.

mmm... as for wine glasses in your cabin, they always have two wine glasses... whether inside, Oceanside, balcony or suite. That has been our experience, and we just had an inside cabin a few months ago.

I will also tell you that when we have taken our open wine bottle to the dinning room, they will want to charge a corkage fee. I'm sure that sometimes they don't, but they are suppose to.

My advice... take a travel cork screw (you can get them at most liquor stores), use the wine glasses in the cabin, have your steward give you and ice bucket with ice.

Always works for us

mmm... as for wine glasses in your cabin, they always have two wine glasses... whether inside, Oceanside, balcony or suite. That has been our experience, and we just had an inside cabin a few months ago.

I will also tell you that when we have taken our open wine bottle to the dinning room, they will want to charge a corkage fee. I'm sure that sometimes they don't, but they are suppose to.

My advice... take a travel cork screw (you can get them at most liquor stores), use the wine glasses in the cabin, have your steward give you and ice bucket with ice.

Always works for us

Those 2 stemware glasses provided in every type of cabin are water goblets, not wine glasses. In suites, there are two water goblets, 2 white wine glasses, and two red wine glasses. There are differences between a wine glass and a water goblet. A stem doesn't make it a wine glass.;) I have stayed in OV, Balcony, Extended Balcony, and Suites.

Can you pack a corkscrew in your checked baggage?

You need to pour the wine into glasses because the corkage fee is not for removing the cork but for taking the bottle in its entirety into the dining room.

We bring unopened bottles of wine in the main dining room and ask them to be opened all of the time. We have yet to be charged. I guess we've been lucky according to these other posts. But we never miss a meal in the main dining room and we dress nice. Maybe they know we're the type to tip well at the end of the cruise, and we do. :)

yes cork screws are permissible. We get one with a foil cutter, not a knife. There are wine glasses in your room. The room steward brought us new ones every day. You cn also go to any bar and ask for a couple a of wine glasses.

Librarian365 is correct those are water glasses in the cabin however that being said I like to use them for wine because they hold a large amount so I can carry the equivalent of 2 glasses of wine to dinner.

Librarian365 is correct those are water glasses in the cabin however that being said I like to use them for wine because they hold a large amount so I can carry the equivalent of 2 glasses of wine to dinner.

That was me, not Librarian365.;):o

Always works for us

Works for us too :D

Carnival's Wine Policy:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

You need to pour the wine into glasses because the corkage fee is not for removing the cork but for taking the bottle in its entirety into the dining room.

Actually, if you read the policy, the key word is consume. So if Carnival really wanted to enforce the policy, they could charge you a corkage fee for bringing in your wine in a glass that not purchased on the ship. However, they really don't have the time to waste and see if you purchased a bottle of wine or a glass at the atrium bar, so 99.99999993165493281% of the time it won't be an issue.

Edited by Capo Capitan