Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

PS -- If I'm not prying too much --- what happened on your snorkeling excursion that resulted in cuts to your feet? DH and I are newbie snorkelers, and I'm trying not to learn everything the hard way. :eek:

:D Nope, not prying too much. Snorkeling at the Pink Beach on Komodo Island, Indonesia. Beach area is really more of a cove. Private excursion said "snorkeling equipment was provided". Once we were actually there, found out that they only meant masks & snorkels, not fins. Then, ended up accidentally getting caught in a very strong current that was further towards the center of the cove we were swimming in than I understood it to be from the guides.

While trying to swim diagonally out of the current & back toward the beach, instead of getting swept out to sea, I ran out of beach and ended up in the very sharp & slippery rocks that make up the ends of the cove. Strong current kept pushing me into the rocks, much like waves crashing on a shore, and so the tops of my feet/ankles and parts of my hands got quite cut up by the rocks. Luckily a few others who were there came to help me get back to the soft sandy beach and then back to the excursion boat, so all's well that ends well.

Lessons learned: 1) make sure they will have fins when they say equipment is provided, or bring your own, unless you are an extremely strong swimmer used to open water/currents/etc. 2) give a wider berth to the areas the guides say have strong current than you think you need to 3) stay calm - I knew this one already but it bears repeating! 4) (and to bring this post back to the topic at hand) bring an extra pair of shoes that can be worn if something happens to your feet

image of thong (flip flop) style sandal with a heel

31EJPUQsG3L._AA160_.jpg

I personally would not wear this to the beach - would most likely end up with a broken ankle. Would be acceptable to wear, to dinner in the MDR. However, I would most likely end up with broken ankle - but, at least I would feel fashionable.

I wouldn't wear it anywhere no even in private.

:D Nope, not prying too much. Snorkeling at the Pink Beach on Komodo Island, Indonesia. Beach area is really more of a cove. Private excursion said "snorkeling equipment was provided". Once we were actually there, found out that they only meant masks & snorkels, not fins. Then, ended up accidentally getting caught in a very strong current that was further towards the center of the cove we were swimming in than I understood it to be from the guides.

While trying to swim diagonally out of the current & back toward the beach, instead of getting swept out to sea, I ran out of beach and ended up in the very sharp & slippery rocks that make up the ends of the cove. Strong current kept pushing me into the rocks, much like waves crashing on a shore, and so the tops of my feet/ankles and parts of my hands got quite cut up by the rocks. Luckily a few others who were there came to help me get back to the soft sandy beach and then back to the excursion boat, so all's well that ends well.

Lessons learned: 1) make sure they will have fins when they say equipment is provided, or bring your own, unless you are an extremely strong swimmer used to open water/currents/etc. 2) give a wider berth to the areas the guides say have strong current than you think you need to 3) stay calm - I knew this one already but it bears repeating! 4) (and to bring this post back to the topic at hand) bring an extra pair of shoes that can be worn if something happens to your feet

Flip flops are really good shoes for the beach and/ or cut feet.:D

Apologies for not having read all 17 pages so far, but all I can say is that I'm pleased the OP isn't an Aussie. Over there they call flip flops thongs and a thread title "Thongs in MDR" would have had bells ringing and alarms going off all over the internet. :rolleyes:

A flip-flop is defined as "a light sandal, typically of plastic or rubber, with a thong between the big and second toe." If that is the type of shoe you're wearing, MDR rules do not allow it.

I checked Merriam Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary, and both include the rubber and plastic fabrication as definitive qualities. The OP's shoes appear to be made of leather and fabric and thus are, by definition, not flip-flops.

This conversation is moot. FINIS.

Yikes, Valerie -- thanks for the cautionary tale! :eek: If DH and I keep snorkeling, I'm thinking that I need to buy my own fins, anyway. I have very small feet -- too big for "kids" fins, but adult sizes just fall off.

Of course, I will be sure not to wear my new snorkeling fins to the MDR -- especially on "chic" night! ;)

What the girl has on her feet has absolutely zero impact on me. Saving a chair all day so that I can't use it, does have an impact.

I have never seen a persons feet in the dining room; I sit in my chair, not crawling under tables:D

And THAT IS the cherry picking that I am talking about. Where in the cruise contract does it say "please select those of our rules that you would like to follow?". You either respect Celebrity to define their rules or you don't.

Just a little bit of a rant...

In my social circle and among those who know me, I'm very much a non-conformist. Nothing outrageous (for example, I'm typically barefoot), just hate some of the nonsensical rules put in place so as to not offend some thin skinned individual. I read a while ago, maybe even on this cruise forum, about a man who wrote a 4 paragraph rage about how his entire cruise was ruined RUINED! (his word) because some teenager wore a baseball cap to the formal night. I don't know the exact circumstance, but a seemingly minor faux pas committed by some kid (inattentive parents?) ruined an entire cruise? Just how shallow and pretentious is this individual (as well as some of the respondents in this post)? I mean, geeze people, get a life!

If that offends anyone, maybe the flip flop fits?

John

I read that thread. Surreal reading. Life is short, people work hard and deserve to relax. Why get worked up over flip flops in the MAIN dining room?

Do you disregard all Celebrity rules? The rules say no flip flops in the MDR.

It seems there are lots of people lately who do their cruising on the boards but not on the ships. They have some funny ideas about what actually goes on.

Apologies for not having read all 17 pages so far, but all I can say is that I'm pleased the OP isn't an Aussie. Over there they call flip flops thongs and a thread title "Thongs in MDR" would have had bells ringing and alarms going off all over the internet. :rolleyes:

My thoughts as well, I would imagine that quite a few already wear thongs in the MDR and thankfully they are covered.;)

How did you make that conclusion? The answer is no I don't disregard all celebrity "rules." But I don't worry myself about others on vacation. I don't have the time to waste over worrying about other people's feet on my vacation.

I'm too busy saving deck chairs and smoking on my balcony.

I would suggest that everyone breaks a rule or 'suggestion' or two. Many times without knowing it. :)

More to the point though, my breaking of the rules is based on rational and logic that if needing to explain to Captain or the corporate suits, would entail a change in policy after my explanation to my point of view. :rolleyes:

How did you make that conclusion? The answer is no I don't disregard all celebrity "rules." But I don't worry myself about others on vacation. I don't have the time to waste over worrying about other people's feet on my vacation.

That's why the free bev packages are so upsetting to me.....my entire collection of rum runner booze smuggling kits are now just laying around collecting dust.....it ain't right I tell ya! :(

LOL

I think I have seen you onboard.

Maybe it was when I was taking an extra pen from guest relations.

That's why the free bev packages are so upsetting to me.....my entire collection of rum runner booze smuggling kits are now just laying around collecting dust.....it ain't right I tell ya! :(

It isn't. You make plans, make investments and then they change the rules for the better. Maybe they should have a special buy back promotion to get those things off the streets/out of cabins. :)

image of thong (flip flop) style sandal with a heel

31EJPUQsG3L._AA160_.jpg

I personally would not wear this to the beach - would most likely end up with a broken ankle. Would be acceptable to wear, to dinner in the MDR. However, I would most likely end up with broken ankle - but, at least I would feel fashionable.

Wearing a cast...;o)

Edited by davekathy

you win the prize. I was wondering who would be the first to bring up rum runners or booze smuggling. My only question is what took you so long to tie the flip flop fiasco to rum runners? :)

you win the prize. I was wondering who would be the first to bring up rum runners or booze smuggling. My only question is what took you so long to tie the flip flop fiasco to rum runners? :)

ironically the rum runners sound like footwear while the flip flops don't;)

What a boring life those who never disregard the rules must have.

Anyway, to combine the flip flop and booze smuggling sub-threads, I present for your edification, the Dram Sandal (note: sandal, not flip-flop, therefore acceptable in the MDR)

23.-Reef-Dram-Sandals.jpg

Anyway, to combine the flip flop and booze smuggling sub-threads, I present for your edification, the Dram Sandal (note: sandal, not flip-flop, therefore acceptable in the MDR)

LOL :D

That is one way to add sole.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

You get the grand prize - rum runner flip flops. The shoe that enables one to smuggle their booze into the main dining room; thus breaking two rules at one time. Gotta love the rule breakers. The ingenuity of dedicated fellow cruises never ceases to amaze me.

However, it is still the much loved flip flop cause it has that thingy between the toes. Remember "a rose by any other name is still a rose".

Edited by sleepless