Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

No offense but those flip flops are exactly what my wife might wear to the beach....not suitable at all for a restaurant setting.....well maybe burger king

I was just reading over the dress code for the MDR and it says that flip flops are not allowed. On all of my prior cruises, I have worn a nice sundress to dinner on non-formal nights, and I usually wear that with black flip flops. These aren't the $2 plastic kind of flip flops you wear to the beach. They are nicer fabric ones that I think look fine with my dresses. If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?! It's not like I'd be wearing it with a bathing suit or shorts or other inappropriate attire haha I just don't have any other non-flip flop shoes to wear with a dress for dinner (aside from the heels that I force my feet into on formal/elegant chic night, but would rather not have to wear on the casual nights!) I am attaching a few photos from my last cruise for reference...

17201_10103783983398739_7595411165968690027_n.jpg?oh=bceacd6c3ee6106bb7dd540c0d0c0229&oe=57708DDF

10646972_10103783986816889_2415776063742173108_n.jpg?oh=e7995f4fec0bcf903f5e52c656f5aaef&oe=572F1551

nope problem is how you're defining "flip flops" as anything in a thong style, while flip flops are the cheapy rubber one's you buy for $3 at the drugstore and thong-style sandals are perfectly appropriate. You're inflexible, behind the times and obviously oblivious to modern fashion. :P

Yes - the dress code is not referring to all thong style sandals, they mean the rubber pool flip flops.

Edited by JuliaMS

Yes - the dress code is not referring to all thong style sandals, they mean the rubber pool flip flops.

Can you post photo's showing the difference between thong style sandals and rubber pool flip flops. I am a visual learner. :D

I checked Merriam Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary, and both include the rubber and plastic fabrication as definitive qualities. The OP's shoes appear to be made of leather and fabric and thus are, by definition, not flip-flops.

This conversation is moot. FINIS.

"Typically" doesn't mean "always".

Nice try though. They're still flip-flops.

you win the prize. I was wondering who would be the first to bring up rum runners or booze smuggling. My only question is what took you so long to tie the flip flop fiasco to rum runners? :)

Well I didn't want things to get too exciting too quickly, otherwise we would still only be on page 3! :eek:

Well I didn't want things to get too exciting too quickly, otherwise we would still only be on page 3! :eek:

I can't believe this has lasted until page 18. I wonder how long we can keep this going. It is much more fun then my day job - I work with high school kids with learning disabilities.

I can't believe this has lasted until page 18. I wonder how long we can keep this going. It is much more fun then my day job - I work with high school kids with learning disabilities.

LOL,:D

Perhaps you can teach those kids a couple of things.

1/ The difference between beach wear and evening wear.

2/ The correct way of using public forums to discuss such topics.

Once you have worked it out, and also have their thoughts, please let us know. good luck.:D

ruffle+flip+flops2.jpgwomens-ladies-diamante-low-heel-flip-flop-thong-toe-post-dressy-party-evening-summer-fashion-sandals-shoes-y28_2790560.jpg

images for dressy flip flop - suitable for dinner

poolside-flip-flops-9837808.jpg

flipflops-lr.jpg

images for pool side flip flops.

There is a difference.

image of thong (flip flop) style sandal with a heel

31EJPUQsG3L._AA160_.jpg

I need a pair of those gold ones. Does anyone know where I can buy those....you know, just so I don't have to wear my scuba fins to the dining room. I think the fins are allowed, right?? No rule breaking here!! LOL

I need a pair of those gold ones. Does anyone know where I can buy those....you know, just so I don't have to wear my scuba fins to the dining room. I think the fins are allowed, right?? No rule breaking here!! LOL

They are not listed as banned.;)

Not sure where you can find the gold flip flops.

About wearing the fins to dinner in the MDR - I say go for it. They are not on the prohibited list. They come in many colors. You can get a pair to match each outfit.

scuba-fins-review1.jpg

I am sure the fashion police will have something to say; but hey - they need a hobby.

LOL,:D

Perhaps you can teach those kids a couple of things.

1/ The difference between beach wear and evening wear.

2/ The correct way of using public forums to discuss such topics.

Once you have worked it out, and also have their thoughts, please let us know. good luck.:D

I would love to teach the little darlings the difference between beach wear and evening wear. But first, I need to teach them about proper school attire. Boys are still sagging, exposing dirty underwear. And girls are showing off their bouties in short skirts and shorter shorts with butt cheeks hanging out when they walk.

However, before they can be taught anything, they need to be weened from the cell phone (texting, snap chat, twitter) and using their cameras to video every fight in the hallway, and posting on youtube, as well as their Ipods - the dreaded noise they call music (Bobby Dylan was sooo much better). Until then, they can be taught nothing.

Note to self: Proud of you - brought the worlds preoccupation with technology, and exposed butt cheeks: into a flip flop thread. Nice.:D

Edited by sleepless

Not sure where you can find the gold flip flops.

About wearing the fins to dinner in the MDR - I say go for it. They are not on the prohibited list. They come in many colors. You can get a pair to match each outfit.

scuba-fins-review1.jpg

I am sure the fashion police will have something to say; but hey - they need a hobby.

The big question is, do you wear socks with them?:p

I would love to teach the little darlings the difference between beach wear and evening wear. But first, I need to teach them about proper school attire. Boys are still sagging, exposing dirty underwear. And girls are showing off their bouties in short skirts and shorter shorts with butt cheeks hanging out when they walk.

However, before they can be taught anything, they need to be weened from the cell phone (texting, snap chat, twitter) and using their cameras to video every fight in the hallway, and posting on youtube, as well as their Ipods - the dreaded noise they call music (Bobby Dylan was sooo much better). Until then, they can be taught nothing.

Note to self: Proud of you - brought the worlds preoccupation with technology, and exposed butt cheeks: into a flip flop thread. Nice.:D

There is a time and a place for everything, and butt cheeks and such shouldn't be shown at school or public unless perhaps on the beach, just like flip flops.

And yes, you should be applauded for your additions although I doubt we will ever see the bottom of this thread.:p

...... and here I had foolishly been thinking that these dress code arguments would end when they discontinued formal nights and Host Andy closed the sticky Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread.

Silly me!

I should have known better. :o

I just feel so sorry for the sweet young lady who innocently started this all simply by asking if she could wear her comfortable black flip flops to the MDR, probably never anticipating the avalanche that would ensue. :eek:

This is the absolute truth Kevin!

I just can't understand why people just can't follow the rules. You knew the rules when you booked but then people have to try to cherry pick the rules that they would like to follow. If it says not to wear flip flops - DON'T wear them, regardless of cost or bling. A flip flop IS a FLIP FLOP - Dior or not.

You are not supposed to save sun loungers and YET a whole ton of people get out before dawn to do so. Just DON'T. If you butt isn't in it for the allotted time - then DON'T do it.

Jeez people - rude is rude.

Because there is no one to enforce those rules, thus people think they can get away easily by breaking it. The rules are only there for show hence there are basically guidelines.

Edited by WaveSplasher

...... and here I had foolishly been thinking that these dress code arguments would end when they discontinued formal nights and Host Andy closed the sticky Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread.

Silly me!

I should have known better. :o

I just feel so sorry for the sweet young lady who innocently started this all simply by asking if she could wear her comfortable black flip flops to the MDR, probably never anticipating the avalanche that would ensue. :eek:

As I said in a post a lifetime ago (it seems) if you have to ask, then you know the answer is NO.

If people want to use the forums for this kind of thread..............

if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! ;)

OP, I am sorry for some of the things you have been subjected to on this thread. Reading the responses from our fellow cruisers has me not only questioning whether I want to continue participating in these boards but also whether I want to pursue cruising with Celebrity in general.

FWIW, before the implementation of casual chic, we saw much more casual than you in the MDR on the Soltstice, and no one said a word.

Those blace flipflops might be ok for the buffet NOT the MDR.....

Because there is no one to enforce those rules, thus people think they can get away easily by breaking it. The rules are only there for show hence there are basically guidelines.

The rules are just for show and are basically guidelines?

Cool. So I can blow off the muster drill since it's a pain, I'll take my booze back to the room with me after I return my excursion instead of dropping it off, and I'll get off the ship whenever I darn well please at the end of the cruise.

:cool:

The rules are just for show and are basically guidelines?

Cool. So I can blow off the muster drill since it's a pain, I'll take my booze back to the room with me after I return my excursion instead of dropping it off, and I'll get off the ship whenever I darn well please at the end of the cruise.

:cool:

Maybe i wasn't specific. My statement was meant for the the dining room dress code. And it was a reply to Jane2357 and her post about rules and flip flops.