Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

I was just reading over the dress code for the MDR and it says that flip flops are not allowed. On all of my prior cruises, I have worn a nice sundress to dinner on non-formal nights, and I usually wear that with black flip flops. These aren't the $2 plastic kind of flip flops you wear to the beach. They are nicer fabric ones that I think look fine with my dresses. If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?! It's not like I'd be wearing it with a bathing suit or shorts or other inappropriate attire haha I just don't have any other non-flip flop shoes to wear with a dress for dinner (aside from the heels that I force my feet into on formal/elegant chic night, but would rather not have to wear on the casual nights!) I am attaching a few photos from my last cruise for reference...

17201_10103783983398739_7595411165968690027_n.jpg?oh=bceacd6c3ee6106bb7dd540c0d0c0229&oe=57708DDF

10646972_10103783986816889_2415776063742173108_n.jpg?oh=e7995f4fec0bcf903f5e52c656f5aaef&oe=572F1551

I don't think the attire is that casual at all for non formal evenings. But as LesaL says, I think you could upgrade your look with a nice pair of sandals. However, to answer your question, I think you will pass in those type of flipflops. ;)

Something like this, though they need not be this expensive! You can find many cute sandals at places like Kohls.

http://www.zappos.com/brighton-nell-black

Edited by Iamthesea

Both of you are extremely casual for the more upscale lines ...

I think perhaps this poster thought that you were asking about the "evening chic" night. Except for the flip-flops, both of your outfits seem to be well within the range of "smart casual" as described by Celebrity.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

(I just wanted to respond so you didn't start panicking about being under-dressed. I will leave it to someone else to answer about the flip-flop issue.)

Edited by SerraG

Your question was about those flip flops on smart casual nights. I think they will pass. I understand the need for comfort, having arthritis in my feet, and will only force myself into heels for the formal/evening chic nights.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

I have similar flip flops to the ones worn by the OP. I wear them to the pool or beach and wouldn't consider wearing them to the MDR. IMHO strappy sandals would look nicer with the cute dresses the OP is wearing in the photos. That being said, a young woman (in her 30's) on our recent Celebrity cruise was allowed into the MDR for dinner with cut off shorts (cut short). No one told her to leave, so you will probably have no problem being admitted to the MDR with your flip flops.

I have flip flops very similar to these, same color, same brand, same heel, different bling. I have worn them in the MDR several times and no one has chased me out. BTW, I bought them at Ross for $18.

http://www.zappos.com/yellow-box-birder-clear?zlfid=191&ref=pd_sims_p_ab_1_t_1

Betsy

Edited by BBsails
Added info

A few years ago, one of the Captain's Club hostesses decided to enforce a "no flip flops" rule for the Elite cocktail party. It created a huge firestorm. I seem to remember that the upshot was that the rubber beach-y flip flops were not appropriate, but sandals, even those with the between-the-toes style, were ok. I think you'll find the same will hold true in the dining room today.

The gentleman is dressed fine even for the new Evening Chic nights. Now I have to be brutally honest about the flip flops. Yes I think you can get away with wearing them in the MDR. However, they make you look frumpy dumpy even though you are young, have a beautiful figure and are wearing pretty dresses. A flip flop with a thinner strap or maybe made of a different material would probably look better and dress up the outfits. Truth be told If I saw you on the cruise and you were wearing those exact outfits I wouldn't have even noticed the footwear. But you asked and I'm not one to sugar coat words.

They might not kick you out but I think a dressier yet still flat thong sandal (not flip flop) would be way cuter and look more appropriate. I have a pair of black ones that I bring on cruises for dinner to go with sundresses.

I was just reading over the dress code for the MDR and it says that flip flops are not allowed. On all of my prior cruises, I have worn a nice sundress to dinner on non-formal nights, and I usually wear that with black flip flops. These aren't the $2 plastic kind of flip flops you wear to the beach. They are nicer fabric ones that I think look fine with my dresses. If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?! /QUOTE]

I just don't get it, if you read that flip flops are not allowed in the MDR then why are you asking?? It doesn't matters if it's $2 pair or $200 pair, it's still flip flops!!

I think you look cute. The dress is flattering, and the shoes you are wearing are fine; and look comfortable.

Your flip flops are no less casual then jeans. I would not wear jeans into the main dining room for dinner, but I would wear those flip flops.

As a side note: I have seen entire bridal parties wearing similar styled shoes - the bride in white, and the wedding party matching their dresses at weddings. Fashions have changed.

No need to be so judgemental of the OP's fashion style.

I have a torn tendon in my ankle and my foot swells badly. I'm not supposed to wear heels (or flats, for that matter). I had a really dressy pair of flip flops, Steve Madden, with a jeweled decoration. I wore those on smart casual nights but I was always worried since the suggested dress clearly states that these aren't appropriate for the MDR.

I have now purchased a pair of very low heels with stretchy straps to accommodate my ankle. They look nicer with my dresses, don't hurt my feet, and I don't have to worry about what people think.

I have seen people turned away at the MDR for clothing outside/not adhering to the suggestions. Do I think you will be denied access? No. Would I chance being embarrassed by being turned away at the door? No.

Cheers,

I think you look cute. The dress is flattering, and the shoes you are wearing are fine; and look comfortable.

Your flip flops are no less casual then jeans. I would not wear jeans into the main dining room for dinner, but I would wear those flip flops.

No need to be so judgemental of the OP's fashion style.

I agree....you look very nice and you will be absolutely fine with that outfit, including the sandals, in the main dining room.

I think "flip flop" is another vague term used in the dress code. Does it mean any sandal with a strap between the big toe and 2nd toe? Or does it mean not the rubber sandals that look like they belong at the pool? Current fashions include a lot of very nice looking sandals that happen to have the strap between the big toe and second toe, I don't think they really mean to exclude nice looking sandals just because of where the strap happens to be placed.

Wow, thank you all for your replies! To clarify, yes, I was asking about what to wear for the casual/non-formal nights in the MDR (I plan to wear heels for formal/elegant chic night) To the poster who asked about which cruise line I was on for those photos- My cruise history is listed in my signature ;) That was from a Carnival cruise in 2015 and I was dressed on par with many other passengers on those casual nights.

I wanted to avoid getting into my medical specifics, but since a few of you mentioned similar conditions... I have a chronic condition in one of my feet that causes it to swell up to my ankle. I find it is especially bad after walking around on my feet all day like when we are in port. The problem isn't necessarily the heel height as much as it is the straps which dig into my swollen foot and are extremely uncomfortable (or that I can't get the shoe on my foot because my foot diameter is too big for what the straps allow!). Many of the other shoe alternatives suggested will feel like they are slicing the top of my foot every time I take a step because they don't have any give like my fabric flip flops. In addition, I have a high arch, so most cute strappy sandals don't work because my arch drops down and I end up with a limp. And since my other foot does not swell, it is nearly impossible to find sandals that fit both feet. Shoe shopping is quite a chore for me ;)

In general, I try to dress stylishly, but I always value function over fashion. The point of my question was not to see if these flip flops are trendy, but simply to know if they are permitted in the MDR on casual nights :) I suppose if I try to wear these flip flops and get turned away, I could suffer through wearing my formal night heels every night and going back to the cabin to change after dinner, but I would much prefer to be comfortable and enjoy my evening without the added detour.

Not vague at all, dictionary.com defines flip flops....a flat, backless rubber sandal, usually secured on the foot by a thong between the first two toes, as for use at a beach, swimming pool, etc.

Then hers qualify are clear to wear because they are not rubber and are not for use at beach and swimming pool right?

Edited by JuliaMS