Does it Bother You

solocanadian

I agree - quantity is irrelevant

But....

If someone is commenting on a particular ship or a particular cruise, i would like to know if the poster actually had first hand knowledge - and how recent it is.

Yeah, that is helpful, isn't it? A while back this poster was saying how awful this new princess ship was. I was anxious to try it so I asked her if she could be specific about what was so terrible. She told me she hadn't been on the ship:D. There was also a poster that argued that some shelters that they had on the back deck of the eurodam were cabanas. Went on and on about it. Wouldn't believe it until their buddy told them they were wrong. They never had been on the ship. I do try to mention when I've been on a ship because that can be important.

Edited by cruz chic

How do you get onto CC without being signed in? When I get on I'm automatically signed in...

When I'm done with a session I sign out. When I'm done for the night I shut the computer down. When I connect to CC the next morning I am not signed in until I do that deliberately. Sometimes I read without signing in.

How do you get onto CC without being signed in? When I get on I'm automatically signed in...

I have signatures turned off but If I want to look up someone I might put them back on temporarily...I also have all our cruises listed by year in my signature.. I'm not trying to brag, but do occasionally go back to see when I last was on such & such a ship.. Don't understand why that would annoy others..

Most of you have been on many more cruises than we have & I do enjoy seeing where you all have been when I turn the signatures back on for any reason..

I'm having major problems with my PC as I downloaded Windows 10 & screwed it up royally.. Our computer guy will be here Tuesday morning to see if I have a virus or just my stupid errors have screwed it up.. we have dialup service & it took me 28 hours to download Windows 10...I hate it!!:(:(.. Every time I try to turn a page or look at another thread I have to get off the internet for a minute & then come back on just to do one thing.. Hopefully it will not cost too much to get me back on the track..

If you sign out then uncheck the little box it likely won't sign you in. I see no value in signing out so I don't do it. I do when I'm banking and on my credit cards.

When I'm done with a session I sign out. When I'm done for the night I shut the computer down. When I connect to CC the next morning I am not signed in until I do that deliberately. Sometimes I read without signing in.

If you sign out then uncheck the little box it likely won't sign you in. I see no value in signing out so I don't do it. I do when I'm banking and on my credit cards.

Thank you both..

To me it is just like the discussion about formal attire. Absolutely meaningless revolving door argument. If someone wants to list all their cruises past and future it is fine by me. Why should I care?

Edited by iancal

Well, this thread actually shows that for most it is not an issue but for some it is. So, fair comment by Cow Princess.

I think the OP is now aware that she can turn off signatures and not see the clocks or whatever. I wasn't too clear on how to do it so this thread was informational for me.

Yes Lizzie, thanks, you understand my comment :)

As for the post you quoted, thanks for quoting it, I didn't see it.

They refuse to get metric don't they ... Fahrenheit , miles, ounces and these dates ...bloody obstinate aren't they hehe

Typically, both Americans and Australians refuse to get with the international standard date format. Americans use the inside-out nonstandard local format, and Australians use the backwards nonstandard local format.

Today is 2016-02-08.

Obstinate!

I agree - quantity is irrelevant

I disagree. Obviously someone who has been on 10 cruises on 8 to 10 different ships has more knowledge of what is usual and what is anomaly than someone who has been on two cruises on the same ship.

I have signatures turned off but If I want to look up someone I might put them back on temporarily...
You don't need to turn them back on. Just click on the person's name in the post (or anywhere else it is underscored, denoting a link) and choose View Public Profile and you will see their signature. Edited by jtl513

You don't need to turn them back on. Just click on the person's name in the post (or anywhere else it is underscored, denoting a link) and choose View Public Profile and you will see their signature.

Thanks jtl...I learn so much from you. :)

Typically, both Americans and Australians refuse to get with the international standard date format. Americans use the inside-out nonstandard local format, and Australians use the backwards nonstandard local format.

Today is 2016-02-08.

Obstinate!

Hope I wasn't too cheeky! It's good to have differences makes us use the grey matter!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

<snip>

You don't need to turn them back on. Just click on the person's name in the post (or anywhere else it is underscored, denoting a link) and choose View Public Profile and you will see their signature.

I didn't know that either - thanks!

I don't like to show my previous cruises, because they are so much less than some of you veterans. I find it a little intimidating when I have only been on a dozen or so cruises, while others have done several dozen.

It reminds me of when I was a Boy Scout and I would have two or three merit badges, and then I would meet others who had a sash covered with them.

Does it bother you that people keep a sailing that is 2 months or older in their signature? It bothers me. Seems like they are bragging. Once the cruise is over I feel the applicable time clock should be deleted. What is the point of keeping in the signature????

No.

I disagree. Obviously someone who has been on 10 cruises on 8 to 10 different ships has more knowledge of what is usual and what is anomaly than someone who has been on two cruises on the same ship.

Agree with you!

Thanks, I did not realize it could be done that way..

The signatures, like the font choices, allow some posters to make their own posts much larger than others'. A fleet of gigantic countdown clocks that are wider than living room, and huge fonts that make a sentence fill the whole screen, are like shouting in a conversation.

ME ME ME! Look at MY post! The font is bigger than everyone else's! Look at all of MY cruises! I have more cruises than everyone else! LOOK! ME!

I keep the signatures off; that's easy. I wish I could set all the fonts to a default size as well.

I agree with the point being made that some signatures can be excessive, but why in the world would anyone by offended by the mere fact someone has their cruise history in their sig? This is Cruise Critic..."A Community of People Who Love to Cruise"...so a signature of cruise history seems perfectly normal to me. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused: