Paid Upgrade Onboard

RoyalGold

Anyone have an experience upgrading onboard? I'm booked in an Oceanview and want to upgrade to a balcony. This sailing is almost completely full - only 2 or 3 cabins left and one is a balcony. Assuming it is still available or someone no shows- any chance to upgrade onboard or at the pier? If so how much? Thanks!

Well wasn't that helpful. I'm aware it will 'likely' sell. There's also bound to be at least 1 no show especially with it being out of SJU. So again, price ideas?

People don't usually book a cruise and then not show up. Especially sailing out of SJU where airfare can be just as expensive as the cruise.

Sailing out of SJU, if there are cabins available days before departure, they will be booked by those that live in San Juan.

Just returned from a b2b2b and each cruise was sold out.

Edited by cruisenfever

Even if there is a no show they can't re sell the cabin in case the person catches up at another port.

I am pretty sure that people have to make arrangements with RCI ahead of time to get the ok to catch up with the ship. They can't just show up at the dock. So they probably know at the time of sailing or very shortly after if a no-show cabin is available.

Well wasn't that helpful. I'm aware it will 'likely' sell. There's also bound to be at least 1 no show especially with it being out of SJU. So again, price ideas?

My, aren't we snippy. So here's the price $2000 per person. How do I know this? I don't. But apparently you want some definitive answer, and "likely won't happen" didn't seem good enough. So.. that's my answer.

Try looking on line. See what the going rate is for a balcony. And that is likely what they'll charge you when you get to the pier. No one could possibly answer your question with any reasonable information. You might be able to talk someone into an upsell once on board. But again, who really knows?

I mean statistically speaking someone will miss it. Regardless I'm simply looking for someone who successfully upgraded at the pier/onboard

We have never once been able to get a paid upgrade at the pier, and we ask every time just to see.

As everyone else has said, I will concur that the chance of a paid upgrade at the pier is very slim and not at all likely to happen. But if it did, you would pay the actual difference in price from what you have paid to what the price is then. And since RCI typically does not lower prices close to sailing any longer, as others have said if you want them and they are available now, you're best bet is to do it now. I assume you are referencing your March S. Car., so whatever price you see now will not be lower at the pier.

Sorry if that is not the answer you hope to hear but it is the most realistic.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My, aren't we snippy. So here's the price $2000 per person. How do I know this? I don't. But apparently you want some definitive answer, and "likely won't happen" didn't seem good enough. So.. that's my answer.

Try looking on line. See what the going rate is for a balcony. And that is likely what they'll charge you when you get to the pier. No one could possibly answer your question with any reasonable information. You might be able to talk someone into an up sell once on board. But again, who really knows?

I know this is crazy and all and I'm asking some insane question that only the RCCL Gods would know...maybe someone who oh idk ... just tried this? Seems like someone who would have some input. The going rate for a balcony is largely irrelevant (not entirely) because that's not how yield management works. Yield management says there's an empty room and lost revenue opportunity and a discount ensues. So if I seemed snippy maybe I was. Because I realize the chances aren't high, I just wanted to hear from someone who successfully paid for an upgrade onboard or at the pier.

We only cruise during off peak times. All of our cruises have had signs up at check in stating "sailing full no upgrades."

Good luck to you. I guess anything is possible.

Thanks! I'll look for that at check in. Never paid attention before as I've never tried this

I ask for paid upgrades at pier they always tell me no, to check with customer service on the ship.

When I go to CS they say no as well.

Ive done this for every single sailing on my sig and I get "No" from both

Thanks! I'll look for that at check in. Never paid attention before as I've never tried this

Sorry for your frustration but the reason you are not getting a response from someone who has been able to do it is because it is extremely rare for it to happen, so very few people have been successful at it.

In my last post I said we ask every time we check in - over twenty five years of cruising it has never happened. But we always try it - not a new idea.

Yes look for the sign at check in and ask and good luck. But it almost certainly will not happen. And there is no bargain price if one should be available - the price shown today will be the price you will pay then, minus what you already have paid.

And again, good luck!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Well aren't you special?

You asked 3 questions in your original post. I answered 2 of them.

You could have said thanks.

But as someone else said, look for that sign that says no upgrades available. Then go stand in the line for a half hour so you can ask anyway because the 100 people in front of you never thought to ask that same question.

Price ideas? Yea, anywhere from ain't gonna happen to $1000

I used to work for Princess Cruises in the Guest Services department many years ago. Travel agents used to tell customers to ask for a free upgrade when they boarded. We would have hundreds of people requesting them. Not once did one EVER receive one. Ships sail sold out basically all the time.

That being said, we did get several notifications each cruise where people had cancelled last minute and there were actually a few cabins available. When someone offered to PAY for an upgrade, we would write down their request and the Deputy Purser would review them and quietly contact a few of these passengers and let them know what the cost to upgrade would be. Sometimes they would not get the cabin til a couple days in, but other times they could have it for the entire cruise.

I am not sure of RCCL's policy on this and I did work the ships 20 years ago, so things could very well be different now, but I would ask to speak to the Deputy Purser and let them know you would be willing to pay for it if available. Another point that always seemed to sway the decision is if the person was having a special occasion such as an anniversary or something. My suggestion, don't count on it but put in the request and be very cordial when doing so. You have nothing to lose.

We have had upgrades on our last 2 cruises with RCI.

Didn't ask for them, but we had booked midship " Promenade suite" and was upgrade to balcony , on some level and only just 5 cabins away.

Was told the reason why, is that when RCI is trying to sell remaining cabins, inside and Promenade cabins are easier to sell, so they give upgrades to premium inside Cabins.

That's our experience, and really blessed.

Thank you RCI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only experience I have had close to the one you are describing was a number of years ago when we were on the Radiance. The weather was treacherous at home and they had cancelled all flights. We thought, "Why not just stay on the ship another week ?" So we inquired with the LA about any available cabins on the next sailing (this was the last night of the cruise). There was 1 room available and the rate she quoted us was absolute top retail price, meaning that they were not willing to give us ANY kind of break even if it meant the room would go empty. So even a few years ago they were not giving any price breaks for last minute sales. It seemed incredible to us that they would rather sail with an empty room than give us a price break, but that's what happened. Needless to say, we went home even though we had to spend a night in Florida and another night in Atlanta before we finally got home.

I would not expect any kind of upgrade available at the pier but you never know. Miracles could happen....

Our experience and I am sure I will be called a liar.

Last minute booking for a holiday cruise on the Navigator a couple years back. The price for balcony cabins was very high but there was a very good price on Promenade cabins so we took it. Pier coordinator had a sign no upgrades available.

Upon boarding we went to the guest services area. There was a rep. there who had a sign up sheet for upgrades. We signed up. The next afternoon we received a call and were upgraded to a balcony cabin at no additional cost. Also note that there was a major storm that kept many from arriving at the port. So can it happen? Yes. Not often but it can.

Does not hurt to check. You never know.

Edited by looking4info

I know this is crazy and all and I'm asking some insane question that only the RCCL Gods would know...maybe someone who oh idk ... just tried this? Seems like someone who would have some input. The going rate for a balcony is largely irrelevant (not entirely) because that's not how yield management works. Yield management says there's an empty room and lost revenue opportunity and a discount ensues. So if I seemed snippy maybe I was. Because I realize the chances aren't high, I just wanted to hear from someone who successfully paid for an upgrade onboard or at the pier.

It wasn't your question, it was your snippy comment to someone who actually tried to answer it. It was legitimate to say it likely won't happen. Much more legitimate than some random upgrade cost. Every situation will be different. There is no way of even having an idea what it would be from cruise to cruise.

Yes, we were able to do it back in 2010 on Adventure sailing out of Malaga. We were booked in an aft balcony, the week before the cruise many of the full suites were showing as still available.

We arrived to the port around 10.30, checked in and went to the Pier co-ordinators desk, we didn't really think they would offer anything but they handed us a list of available suites and said what do you want? We ended up in a OS on the hump for a total cost of $400. We had to pay on a credit card there and then not on our seapass. RS was not available but we could have had RFS for $1000. It was a 6 night cruise.

I've been on here since 2003 and in the early years would sometimes see people had done it, haven't seen anyone mention it for a few years now so probably doesn't happen anymore.

Julie

...I've been on here since 2003 and in the early years would sometimes see people had done it, haven't seen anyone mention it for a few years now so probably doesn't happen anymore.

Julie

I've occasionally asked to speak with the Pier Coordinator and asked about available staterooms, and the answer has always been no. I've only done this on US based cruises, so maybe there is more of a possiblity on other points of departure.