China visa

meredith27

Actually, it is not helpful because it is outdated information. In the past, the 72 hour visa exemption was only valid when flying in and out of Chinese airports. As of 30 January 2016, there is a 144 hour visa available at no charge that includes passengers arriving at the Shanghai Cruise Terminal.

While I would think that the State Department and the Chinese embassy's websites would have up-to-date information (I got those items off those websites today, it may, indeed, be obsolete info. From what you say, the Chinese site, at a minimum sure doesn't have the latest info! Thanks for providing that info.

Tom

As of 30 January 2016, there is a 144 hour visa available at no charge that includes passengers arriving at the Shanghai Cruise Terminal. Click on the link provided by meredith27 a few posts back. The unknown part is how long it will take Princess Cruise Line to recognize this new reality.

There are at least two places (maybe 3) for cruise ships to disembark passengers in Shanghai. Is this temp visa available at all or just at the "Shanghai Cruise Terminal"?

Where will the Princess ship be docking?

I am very interested to read about this new 144-hour visa free visit. Thanks to 'USN59-79' who posted a comment about this. Here is the information - sorry it is so long, but if I leave something out, that could be the crucial point for someone.

44-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Since January 30th, 2016, the 144-hour visa-free transit policy has been carried out in Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang in east China to facilitate international travelers. The policy, aimed at boosting tourism and business in the Yangtze River Delta Region, allows passengers from 51 countries or regions to transit in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang for no more than 144 hours (six days) without holding a visa. During the layover period, passengers can move around the three places but not permitted to visit other cities of China.

Qualified Countries

Countries having access to this policy are the same as those enjoying 72-hour free transit policy, including:

24 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

13 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania

6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile

2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand

6 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar

Eligible Transit Ports

The 144-hour visa-free transit program has been implemented in Nanjing Lukou Airport of Jiangsu, Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport of Zhejiang, and all air, sea and railway ports of Shanghai, including Pudong Airport, Hongqiao Airport, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusong Passenger Transport Center and all railway stations in Shanghai.

Conditions for Application

1. Passengers should hold an onward ticket with a confirmed seat and date as well as a valid visa to a third country or region (if required).

2. Passengers are required to enter and leave from the eligible transit ports only.

3. During the layover period, they can travel within the administrative regions of Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang, but can’t leave for other cities.

4. The layover time should be limited to 144 hours. However, the 144-hour free stay period does not start until 00:00 of the day following passengers’ arrival. So actually, the allowed time to stay is a little bit longer than 144 hours.

Documents Needed for Application

• Valid passport

• Confirmed onward ticket

• Visa for a third country/region (if needed)

• A fully completed Arrival/Departure Card

Application Procedures

Inform the carrier when boarding - Fill an Arrival/Departure Card - Apply the 144-hour stay permit upon arrival - Claim the luggage (if needed) - Go through the custom - Leave airport

Tips:

1. It is necessary to inform the carrier before you arrive, so that they can declare your request to the immigration office for processing.

2. There is a counter/lane dedicated for the 144-hour free transit at the immigration inspection, so passengers can go there directly by following the signs.

3. After your request to enjoy the 144-hour free transit is approved, the officer will stamp a stay permit on your passport, which shows your allowed stay duration.

4. If you have a valid visa for China, but you don’t want to use it this time, remember to tell the officer that you need to use the 144-hour free transit.

5. After leaving the airport, remember to register at local police station within 24 hours after arrival. If you live in a hotel, you don’t need to do that because the hotel will do it for you. Otherwise, you should go to the police station in person to register your stay.

6. If passengers have to go to other cities or they can’t leave within 144 hours, they should go to the local PSB and apply for a normal visa. Otherwise, they may be faced with a fine.

For more information, please contact Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 0086-21-5110510, Nanjing Lukou Airport at 0086-25-968890, and Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport at 0086-571-96299.

There are at least two places (maybe 3) for cruise ships to disembark passengers in Shanghai. Is this temp visa available at all or just at the "Shanghai Cruise Terminal"?

Where will the Princess ship be docking?

The information from the Chinese government says "ports of Shanghai including the Shanghai Cruise Terminal". It doesn't say only that terminal. :) That's great, because our next cruise docks at another terminal in Shanghai.

I hope this new system applies to cruise visits.:) We were all set to get our Chinese visas on Monday at $109.50 each.:(

I guess even with the Chinese authorities allowing our trip to the airport to be visa free,it all still depends on Princess. They have to accept this new situation, update their stance on the Visa, AND, more importantly, let us get on the ship in Singapore without the visa!!!

I guess even with the Chinese authorities allowing our trip to the airport to be visa free,it all still depends on Princess. They have to accept this new situation, update their stance on the Visa, AND, more importantly, let us get on the ship in Singapore without the visa!!!

We have emailed a contact we have at Princess, tactfully saying that they probably already know about it, and asking if we still need to get a visa.:)

All ideological positions aside, for the purposes of travel documents, mainland China and Taiwan are two separate entities. You may need a visa for China but not for Taiwan, or vice versa, or you may need a visa for both, or neither. Because each entity makes up its own entry requirements.

If you need a visa for Taiwan, you cannot obtain it from a Chinese consulate. If you need a visa to enter China, you cannot obtain it from any Taiwanese authority.

For the purposes of this thread, US and UK citizens do not need any sort of visa to visit Taiwan on this cruise itinerary. This has absolutely nothing to do with the US or the UK government's stance on Cross-Strait relations. And the fact that the cruise stops in Taiwan has absolutely no bearing on whether passengers might need a visa for China, and it does not count as an entry into China as far as Chinese border authorities are concerned. There is really no reason to continue including Taiwan in this discussion.

If you want to say that the itinerary of this cruise includes three stops in China (Hong Kong, Keelung, and Shanghai), feel free. But as far as travel documents go, most passengers will only actually enter China once, when they disembark in Shanghai. (The only other opportunity to enter China would be during the overnight in Hong Kong, if some passengers choose to exit Hong Kong and travel into mainland China).

What is your legal authority for your statements? I notice that you reside in France. Are you an American citizen? I ask because the politics DO matter, because the US officially considers Taiwan to be part of China, and the Chinese Consulate expressly only exempts Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR from the general visa requirement - not Taiwan.

The US State Department's official statement provides: "U.S.-TAIWAN RELATIONS

The United States and Taiwan enjoy a robust unofficial relationship. The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. The Joint Communique also stated that the people of the United States will maintain cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people on Taiwan. The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) is responsible for implementing U.S. policy toward Taiwan.

The United States does not support Taiwan independence. Maintaining strong, unofficial relations with Taiwan is a major U.S. goal, in line with the U.S. desire to further peace and stability in Asia. The 1979 Taiwan Relations Act provides the legal basis for the unofficial relationship between the United States and Taiwan, and enshrines the U.S. commitment to assist Taiwan in maintaining its defensive capability. The United States insists on the peaceful resolution of cross-Strait differences, opposes unilateral changes to the status quo by either side , and encourages dialogue to help advance such an outcome."

That being said, on this cruise, for American citizens, Taiwan is deemed to be one entry into China and Shanghai another. Thus, because of the multiple entries, US citizens on this cruise need a visa. If it were just one entry, the new rules would seem to possibly allow an for in-transit exemption. But not where there are two entries into China. So, whether or not you consider it right or wrong, all Americans, at least, have to get visas.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

What is your legal authority for your statements, because the Chinese Consulate expressly only exempts Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR from the general visa requirement - not Taiwan. On this cruise, Taiwan is deemed to be one entry and Shanghai another. Thus, because of the multiple entries, US citizens on this cruise need a visa. But argument is moot anyway because Princess will not let you board without one. So, right or wrong, all Americans, at least, have to get visas.

....and the US State Department says this about Taiwan....

valid passport that will remain valid for the period of intended stay. You must also possess a confirmed return or onward air ticket. As a U.S. passport holder, you will be allowed to enter Taiwan without a visa for up to 90 days if your passport is valid for more than 90 days beyond the date of arrival. If your passport has fewer than 90 days of validity remaining, you will be able to enter Taiwan for a time equal to the expiration date of your passport. No extensions or changes of status are permitted. Taiwan authorities can deny a visitor entry if they do not have the appropriate travel documents for their onward destination. If you plan to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for and receive a Taiwan visa prior to arrival in Taiwan. The cost of the visa, including the processing fee, is 160.00 USD. Visit the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO)’s website for the most current visa information:

You know what - if you want to try to board without a Chinese visa, that's your certainly your right. But this thread is getting silly because it's really a moot point unless and until Princess changes its policy, which I doubt it will, so you won't be allowed to board without one.

Also, many of the people taking the position that one is not needed reside in Australia, Great Britain and France, not the US. The official positions of each of our countries does impact the ultimate ruling on whether or not a visa is needed. Caveat emptor.

What is your legal authority for your statements, because the Chinese Consulate expressly only exempts Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR from the general visa requirement - not Taiwan.
I have no legal authority, just first-hand knowledge of how the Taiwan/China situation currently works for travelers in the real world. (But who knows, by the time your cruise comes around, the situation may have changed drastically and we will all need to come to grips with a new reality.)

If you hold an ordinary US passport, you do not need any sort of visa to visit Taiwan on this itinerary. Don't take my word for it. Contact TECRO or the AIT, which provide consular services for US citizens in the absence of official diplomatic recognition of Taiwan by the US.

I really don't know what the Chinese consulate will say if you ask them about Taiwan. I would hope that they are not selling people worthless visas to enter Taiwan. Mainland China has no authority over Taiwan's entry requirements. I hope that is what they will tell you.

I don't know what your plans are during the stop in Hong Kong or after the cruise ends in Shanghai, so I can't say if you need any sort of visa for mainland China.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I have no legal authority, just first-hand knowledge of how the Taiwan/China situation currently works for travelers in the real world. (But who knows, by the time your cruise comes around, the situation may have changed drastically and we will all need to come to grips with a new reality.)

If you hold an ordinary US passport, you do not need any sort of visa to visit Taiwan on this itinerary. Don't take my word for it. Contact TECRO or the AIT, which provide consular services for US citizens in the absence of official diplomatic recognition of Taiwan by the US.

I really don't know what the Chinese consulate will say if you ask them about Taiwan. I would hope that they are not selling people worthless visas to enter Taiwan. Mainland China has no authority over Taiwan's entry requirements. I hope that is what they will tell you.

I don't know what your plans are during the stop in Hong Kong or after the cruise ends in Shanghai, so I can't say if you need any sort of visa for mainland China.

Thank you for the info. I just called Princess to try and get any updated info from them. Lost cause. They knew nothing and I ended up trying to inform them on the 1/30/16 change. C/S rep would not put me through to Cust. Rel., but she spoke with them while I was put on hold, and came back saying that visa is still required, that "it's not Princess' requirement, but the US and Chinese gov'ts." Blah, blah, blah.

After arguing the other side of this issue for several posts, I have come to believe that I was wrong, and that those of you who have not already forked over the chunk of change for these visa, may be able, and should try, to convince Princess to waive the visa requirement as a prerequisite to boarding. The rest of us early birds may be out of luck -- unless we all complain to Princess about their negligence in failing to keep current on such matters and costing all of us $180 pp needlessly. As a matter of fact, the Princess blurb on the visa requirement is so outdated, it doesn't even include the 10 year visa which was put into place about 2 years ago.

The confusion here is to understand the status of Taiwan. I was stationed there from 1961 to 1963 when the U.S. Government was defending Taiwan from being taken over by Communist China. Taiwan was a Chinese province until 1895 when China ceded it to Japan. It was a Japanese colony until WW2 ended in 1945. In 1949 the Chinese government under Chiang Kai Shek was defeated by the communists and they moved their government to Taiwan. We supported his government until 1979 when we decided to recognize China and take that government's side in their political dispute with Taiwan. China considers Taiwan to be a renegade province and part of China. Most people in Taiwan consider themselves as Chinese, but they have a freely elected democratic government and don't want any part of communism. So for 30 years the USA considered Taiwan a free and independent country and in 1979 we changed our mind. In spite of that the people of Taiwan still friendly and welcoming to the people of the USA and tourists do not need a visa to visit there for less than 90 days.

The confusion here is to understand the status of Taiwan. I was stationed there from 1961 to 1963 when the U.S. Government was defending Taiwan from being taken over by Communist China. Taiwan was a Chinese province until 1895 when China ceded it to Japan. It was a Japanese colony until WW2 ended in 1945. In 1949 the Chinese government under Chiang Kai Shek was defeated by the communists and they moved their government to Taiwan. We supported his government until 1979 when we decided to recognize China and take that government's side in their political dispute with Taiwan. China considers Taiwan to be a renegade province and part of China. Most people in Taiwan consider themselves as Chinese, but they have a freely elected democratic government and don't want any part of communism. So for 30 years the USA considered Taiwan a free and independent country and in 1979 we changed our mind. In spite of that the people of Taiwan still friendly and welcoming to the people of the USA and tourists do not need a visa to visit there for less than 90 days.

Great. I was just going to post a brief history of Taiwan. I am astounded that it appears some people believe Taiwan is part of China. It doesn't matter is a third country believes it is - just as if another country believed USA was part of Canada, that wouldn't make it so. :D (I just use this as an example).

With the new regulation put in place by the Chinese government it appears that visitors on a cruise going into Shanghai do not need a visa. Whether Princess is aware of this or not is a separate point. Visitors should not require a multiple entry visa just because they are going to a port in Taiwan as well, because it is not in China. Hong Kong and Macau are designated as special administrative regions where a visa is not required for our tourist visits.

Our travel companion for our upcoming cruise has been on the phone with several visa agencies about the China Visa. Here is the ONLY legitimate information she has been able to obtain. If you arrive by ship into Shanghai but then depart by air, you DO NEED a visa. If you are flying in and flying out, or sailing in and sailing out, you would not.

Our travel companion for our upcoming cruise has been on the phone with several visa agencies about the China Visa. Here is the ONLY legitimate information she has been able to obtain. If you arrive by ship into Shanghai but then depart by air, you DO NEED a visa. If you are flying in and flying out, or sailing in and sailing out, you would not.

Thanks for the update Nancy! Glad that the money spent was not for naught.

Interesting viewpoint. The United States recognized the government of the People's Republic of China as the sole government of China acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. Are you saying the US government is wrong?

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35855.htm

Regards John

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more than a month after the rule changed and was posted by the embassy, and after several weeks of many of us contacting Princess for clarification, and Princess telling us we still needed visas, now, tonight, they send an email telling us we don't need them after all. After most people on our cruise spent nearly $500 to get them. Just spoke with Customer Relations and they have already been told to tell passengers that management will not provide any reimbursement, compensation or allowance for making us get the visas.

FWIW regarding a Visa fir Taiwan. Husband, daughter and grandkids cruised on the Diamond Princess last June 2015. There were several port stops in Taiwan and they were not required to have a Visa to be allowed to board the Diamond Princess for this cruise.

Well, more than a month after the rule changed and was posted by the embassy, and after several weeks of many of us contacting Princess for clarification, and Princess telling us we still needed visas, now, tonight, they send an email telling us we don't need them after all. After most people on our cruise spent nearly $500 to get them. Just spoke with Customer Relations and they have already been told to tell passengers that management will not provide any reimbursement, compensation or allowance for making us get the visas.

I do hope they will reconsider.

• 6 months later...

They're back to telling passengers that they must have a visa to board. But each phone agent seems to have a different version of the story to tell. The last one that I heard was that it wasn't applicable because passengers would not have to go through immigration individually and that Princess would just send all the information to Chinese immigration (I think her nose was growing ...)