Assigned check in...you got to be kidding me

caymancouple

Port personnel are not Carnival employees. They work for the port authority. Same with every cruise port. Carnival does not control how many windows are open.

Let me clear this up for you. Carnival has a small army of part time employees at every departure port. Check their jobs page and you will see a posting for most of the larger ports. My wife and her friend looked into doing this in Galveston.

They work one to three days a week, and do everything from crowd management outside in the line to checking guests in at the counter. The security is not TSA, but a private company.

The ones in Galveston are the most friendly we've encountered, and many are husband and wife teams working together.

They all go to a late lunch once the manifest is turned in and talk about the people they have seen that day. We see them often in the afternoons in Galveston on departure days, usually Saturday (the Freedom) or Sunday (the Magic).

The Port Authority does have an agent there, but the security you see are officers from local agencies working an "extra job" doing traffic management and there if anything goes wrong. We see school district officers, officers from cities off the island, etc working.

Edited by BallFour4

Here is what I found at least for the port in Boston.

About Intercruises Shoreside and Port Services

Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services is an experienced global business

offering first class ground handling and

port agency services to the Ocean and river cruise industry.

Our people provide a professional and caring service,

able to handle any unexpected situations, with excellent local knowledge

and contacts complemented by the support and resources – more...

Clearly they are not cruise line employees there.

And in Seattle

2016 Seattle Pier Agent (New Hire)

Metro Shore Services 5 reviews - Seattle, WA

$13 an hour

Join Our Team!

Do you have a customer service background and want to try something

new? Metro Shore Services is currently seeking candidates to fill multiple

part-time openings at Pier 91 (Magnolia/Queen Anne area)

in Seattle for the summer 2016 cruise season (May-September).

During the summer several cruise ships visit Seattle weekly.

When a cruise ship arrives in Seattle, all the guests

disembark in the morning and then new guests arrive

to sail to Alaska in the afternoon. In total nearly 11,000 guests will pass

through the terminal on a busy day, and this is

the team that makes all the magic happen!

Pier agents assist guests at the beginning and end of their cruise and represent Seattle to tourists from all over the world. Agents help guests board transportation to and from the airport, check-in for their cruise, and find their luggage when it's all over. This is an upbeat and fun work environment serving happy and excited vacationers, often on the trip of a lifetime! Our staff includes many teachers, bankers, stay-at-home parents, and college students who work in these positions as well as many staff who have already had a career or two.

SCHEDULE & HOURS:

Shifts are available Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. Staff must be available at least two consistent days per week. All positions are seasonal and part-time from May through September. Most shifts start at 7:00am or 9:45am and are 5-7 hours including a paid 30 minute lunch break. All staff must be available for training on April 30. Time-off requests not disclosed in the hiring process may be denied.

PURPOSE:

Provide excellent customer service in all areas for the cruise lines Metro Shore represents. Strive to exceed guest expectations by delivering a smooth experience through the cruise terminal.

DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:

Provide excellent customer service to cruise line guests.

Greet each guest with a warm smile while maintaining a professional and positive demeanor.

Listen to guest questions; respond, and resolve appropriately.

Communicate clearly with guests and co-workers.

Follow all company policies and procedures including arriving on-time and in uniform to all scheduled shifts.

Complete tasks as assigned each day.

Remain flexible and willing to adapt to schedule or position modifications at the request of any on-site supervisor.

Review guest travel documents and proof of citizenship to ensure compliance with U.S. and international law.

Accurately complete computerized guest check-in on laptops.

Here is what I found at least for the port in Boston.

About Intercruises Shoreside and Port Services

Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services is an experienced global business

offering first class ground handling and

port agency services to the Ocean and river cruise industry.

Baltimore uses Intercruises as well.

I've got preferred status on Avis, silver status with Hilton, and my wife thinks I'm peachy. Therefore, with all that status, I agree with the advice that you all just go when the latest boarding time in your party is.

I guess you could call me a statustician.

Thanks for the chuckle!

We are doing a cruise on Carnival out of Galveston this Coming Sunday....6 rooms...we all have different check in times.... so how the #/^÷/%_£^/#= are we supposed to coordinate picking up family members from hotels...flights....others driving in..... We are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond Plus on Royal...earned both....not real impressed with Carnival so far....:mad:

OP NEVER re-posted, maybe he had cancel for any reason and hopefully used it to stop his suffering..

It looks like the following Sunday would have been the 14th...so the OP is still on the cruise. Of course, some of the responses might have scared them away :eek: So we may never get to hear how it turned out in the end. I hope they come back and give an update.

OP NEVER re-posted, maybe he had cancel for any reason and hopefully used it to stop his suffering..

It looks like the following Sunday would have been the 14th...so the OP is still on the cruise. Of course, some of the responses might have scared them away :eek: So we may never get to hear how it turned out in the end. I hope they come back and give an update.

THANKS, overlooked sail date, that's good I should not have been in a critical state of mind. At 75 I never know what is going to come out. Tom

I am not going to flame the OP, I've hated the thought of this check in time stuff from the beginning for the very reasons OP has going on right now, what if you have multiple family cabins? What if your hotel boots you out at 11 am? What if you arrive early because you drove several hours to your port allowing a few hours extra in case of car trouble? Carnival's check in crap suits them NOT their customers. I may have to conform but I don't have to like it. ;)

So choose the earliest possible time and if you arrive later than that, it doesn't really matter. You can go in after your time, just not before. And since you're aware of the policy, choose your time as soon as you are able to do so. I don't get the drama.

We are doing a cruise on Carnival out of Galveston this Coming Sunday....6 rooms...we all have different check in times.... so how are we supposed to coordinate picking up family members from hotels...flights....others driving in..... We are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond Plus on Royal...earned both....not real impressed with Carnival so far....:mad:

So, how was it ? Tell us your thoughts now that you did it

I have a 10-10:30 check in and also purchased FTTF. I'm assuming I'll be on by 11. Is that what y'all would think?

It depends on how quickly customs clears the previous load of passengers. I've personally had boarding start on my cruises anywhere between shortly after 11 and 12:30. Once boarding begins and the wedding parties and Diamon/Platinums board, you should be on, probably within about 15 minutes of the boarding start time.

I am Platinum with Carnival' date=' so do I have to adhere to my assigned boarding time? Or can I arrived earlier and be allowed to board?[/quote']

From Carnival's FAQ: "Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass."

So, if you're Platinum, you should try to pick a time close to when you think you'll be there, but if you arrive early, you can still enter the terminal to check in as soon as you arrive.

I am Platinum with Carnival' date=' so do I have to adhere to my assigned boarding time? Or can I arrived earlier and be allowed to board?[/quote']

Everyone is suppose to pick a time BUT Diamond, Platinum, FTTF and Suite passengers can show up whenever they want and be allowed to enter the terminal...

So choose the earliest possible time and if you arrive later than that, it doesn't really matter. You can go in after your time, just not before. And since you're aware of the policy, choose your time as soon as you are able to do so. I don't get the drama.

(1) My last two cruises have been booked within three months of sail date, for various reasons, and I sail during popular times. I'm concerned that the early spots will be taken. Because this is so new, we haven't yet seen how the spots will fill up when everyone can choose a time when they book. Yes, I could "solve" the problem by booking early, but I can't always book early and this doesn't make me like the system.

(2) More generally speaking, I don't think it's very customer friendly. Guests have not been well-informed during the roll out, and even if Carnival manages to communicate the need to select a time for every new booking, many will be overwhelmed trying to estimate arrival times. Yes, everyone could select an early time, but that would defeat the purpose of the system and presumably there are limited slots that will fill up. Therefore, you will always having people arriving early and being turned away at the terminal, while they see other people streaming inside and boarding their cruise. Is there anything comparable? No one misses part of their flight because they board ten minutes later. Hotel rooms are sometimes not yet available, but guests aren't watching everyone else check in early and enjoy the pool and a nice lunch while they stand outside, and hotels with good customer service accommodate early arrivals, at least with access to the amenities while they wait for their room to be ready.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

(2) More generally speaking, I don't think it's very customer friendly. Guests have not been well-informed during the roll out,

All passengers booked on a cruise from a terminal that have this type of check-in has received e-mails on the new process, and TA's have as well so they can make sure their clients know. Sorry but if you don't read your emails then that is not Carnivals fault.

No one misses part of their flight because they board ten minutes later. Hotel rooms are sometimes not yet available, but guests aren't watching everyone else check in early and enjoy the pool and a nice lunch while they stand outside, and hotels with good customer service accommodate early arrivals, at least with access to the amenities while they wait for their room to be ready.

Again, you don't board 3,000+ passengers onto a plane, and you don't see 3,000+ guests checking into hotels at the same time. Again moot point.

Sure I like to get on the ship as soon as I can as well, but if I can not board until 1:00, then that gives me time to look around the port city and see things I would not have the opportunity to see. All of you sound like a little kid when their mom tells them no to the toy or candy bar in the store.

Sure I like to get on the ship as soon as I can as well, but if I can not board until 1:00, then that gives me time to look around the port city and see things I would not have the opportunity to see. All of you sound like a little kid when their mom tells them no to the toy or candy bar in the store.

It's incredible that you still don't understand the difference between CHECK IN and BOARDING.

No one in this thread is complaining about boarding, they are complaining about being turned away from the terminals. carnival chooses to spend LESS to staff their terminals, in turn they make this check in the guests problem to deal with. No other cruise line has this issue. Don't you wonder why? Stop and think about the actual issue before just hurling insults at people that legitimately understand the issue at hand here.

Some ports there are no places to go walk around and see the area, and carnival is making PLENTY of money to get a few more bodies in for 3 to 4 hours on turnaround day.

But since everyone on CC has priority boarding they don't care.

Don't worry, as everyone moves up the ranks and there are too many priority guests, then NO ONE gets priority. So eventually this too will mean that unless you are lucky enough to get an early slot, or purchase FTTF, even top tier members can rot on the sidewalks of Port of Miami without access to a bathroom or water. We will see if the tune being sung changes at that point.

Edited by LMaxwell

It's incredible that you still don't understand the difference between CHECK IN and BOARDING.

No one in this thread is complaining about boarding, they are complaining about being turned away from the terminals. carnival chooses to spend LESS to staff their terminals, in turn they make this check in the guests problem to deal with. No other cruise line has this issue. Don't you wonder why? Stop and think about the actual issue before just hurling insults at people that legitimately understand the issue at hand here.

Some ports there are no places to go walk around and see the area, and carnival is making PLENTY of money to get a few more bodies in for 3 to 4 hours on turnaround day.

Don't worry, as everyone moves up the ranks and there are too many priority guests, then NO ONE gets priority. So eventually this too will mean that unless you are lucky enough to get an early slot, or purchase FTTF, even top tier members can rot on the sidewalks of Port of Miami without access to a bathroom or water. We will see if the tune being sung changes at that point.

I do know the difference between check in and boarding. You Check in online to get your boarding pass that you provide at the terminal to get through security, get your S&S card and BOARD the ship. Obviously you don't know the difference.

IT's amazing to me that you are too dense to understand that the terminals can not handle 3000+ people inside at one stinking time. If you are that thick headed to think that 3,000 people can fit inside the Miami, New Orleans, Galveston, Port Canaveral etc terminals you need to have your eyes checked. I have been in each of those and I can promise you, once you get more than about 500 in there, it get's very hot and crowded.

have you every flown out of Ft. Lauderdale? You can check in up to 4 hours before your flight, but can not go through security until about 2 hours before your flight. Why? Because the terminal area is not that big for lot's of people to sit and wait. Sure they have benches to sit on, and a few food carts around, but you think they care if you sit and rot while waiting?

Why should Carnival hire more people to cater to the ones who are too anxious to wait? The last time I was in New Orleans, they had every counter open, and had some tables to the side checking people in, and this was during the new check in procedure. Galveston always has a full staff of check in people, Miami has been the same way.

Remember, the employees in the terminal are not employees of Carnival either, they are employees of the Port Authority and Carnival has nothing to do with the hiring of those people and nothing to do with the staffing of the check in terminals. The first time you normally see any true Carnival employees is when you get your Welcome Aboard photo taken on the gangway.

I do know the difference between check in and boarding. You Check in online to get your boarding pass that you provide at the terminal to get through security, get your S&S card and BOARD the ship. Obviously you don't know the difference.

IT's amazing to me that you are too dense to understand that the terminals can not handle 3000+ people inside at one stinking time. If you are that thick headed to think that 3,000 people can fit inside the Miami, New Orleans, Galveston, Port Canaveral etc terminals you need to have your eyes checked. I have been in each of those and I can promise you, once you get more than about 500 in there, it get's very hot and crowded.

have you every flown out of Ft. Lauderdale? You can check in up to 4 hours before your flight, but can not go through security until about 2 hours before your flight. Why? Because the terminal area is not that big for lot's of people to sit and wait. Sure they have benches to sit on, and a few food carts around, but you think they care if you sit and rot while waiting?

Why should Carnival hire more people to cater to the ones who are too anxious to wait? The last time I was in New Orleans, they had every counter open, and had some tables to the side checking people in, and this was during the new check in procedure. Galveston always has a full staff of check in people, Miami has been the same way.

Remember, the employees in the terminal are not employees of Carnival either, they are employees of the Port Authority and Carnival has nothing to do with the hiring of those people and nothing to do with the staffing of the check in terminals. The first time you normally see any true Carnival employees is when you get your Welcome Aboard photo taken on the gangway.

Whoooosh!

I didn't really think you were being negative, quite a few folks come on here to complain and then never come back. You get used to patterns :p

Happy Anniversary to you!

THANKS, overlooked sail date, that's good I should not have been in a critical state of mind. At 75 I never know what is going to come out. Tom

next time carry two on, and stick a box of wine in your checked bag with some shoes placed on top of it. that's what I do :)

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread. This isn't the one where smugglers are advising others on how to break rules.;):rolleyes:

Not just carnival... Had a MESS boarding RCCL last month and NCL last year! Besides, at Miami, nobody respects the boarding times and the port personnel lets everyone in anyway (you just get a later boarding group)... I was just visiting the Splendor last week for the day, and it was a mess with standing room only (embarkation was delayed until 12:35 )... I would not sweat it too much..

I know based on a few of your posts that you think Carnival is being difficult by turning people away...don't you think they want people on board as quickly as possible so they will start spending money :confused: