Why would anyone take a cruise out of NE in the winter

MichaelinME

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

Not sure why I'm even responding to you as you have made several statements that beg as to whether you have a clue. The simple answer for you is don't go on a cruise out of the NE. A lot of us do it regularly.

I can drive less than 3 hours to the port and get on a ship that will take me to the Caribbean without having to jump on a plane and pay for excess luggage. The longer the cruise the better, we just finished a 12 night out of Bayonne and this was the longest cruise I had been on. I was actually able to relax given I had 3 days before we even got to ports to enjoy the ship. We also got to go to 6 ports, can't usually do that on a 7 day out of Florida. Clearly the demand is high for cruises out of the northeast, bookings are filling up for next year, I already had to take a second choice because the date I wanted is booked. Bad weather is not exclusive to the northern Atlantic, storms can happen anywhere. Try and keep an open mind. It may not be your cup of tea, but others seem to enjoy it.

Why would you even consider cruising the Caribbean between the months of June to October? I mean, that's prime hurricane season. No matter when you cruise, there is a chance of running into storms or other weather issues.

At least it's warmer. :) and most times the water is much calmer.

I guess it is personal preference. But it seems like a lot of money spent for a much higher risk of a let down.

And if you are a first time cruiser going through these Atlantic waters in the winter, you could be turned off to cruising real easily.

As a person that grew up in NJ and lived there into my 30's, I agree with the OP. It is a different situation cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season, as there are many places for the ship to go to avoid a hurricane and still provide a great experience. You have nowhere to go in the Atlantic during the winter to make people want to swim, hang out outside or enjoy their balconies.

DH has a fear of flying and we can drive to NY/NJ in 3 hours. I enjoy getting away someplace warm in the winter. A Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty satisfies both our wishes. Not to mention how economical it is to cruise out of NY/NJ compared to tacking on air & hotel for 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. I stated this on one of the countless threads about this today. We live one hour from Baltimore and three from NYC but I have no desire to cruise from either place. I like to be in the warmth when I get off the plane not three days into the cruise. We have always cruised from FL or Puerto Rico.

Edited by Sky616

As a person that grew up in NJ and lived there into my 30's, I agree with the OP. It is a different situation cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season, as there are many places for the ship to go to avoid a hurricane and still provide a great experience. You have nowhere to go in the Atlantic during the winter to make people want to swim, hang out outside or enjoy their balconies.

Thank you. I forgot to mention the many options ships have going out of the south :) Great point!

Edited by MichaelinME

DH has a fear of flying and we can drive to NY/NJ in 3 hours. I enjoy getting away someplace warm in the winter. A Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty satisfies both our wishes. Not to mention how economical it is to cruise out of NY/NJ compared to tacking on air & hotel for 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, but then you have the overwhelming possibility of this happening. Winter storms/ nor'easters are very common. If you are willing to take that chance, then do. I never would.

Just to add, I believe rccl was negligent in sailing out of Bayonne in the first place.

There are other threads flooded with opinions on this subject, please don't let this thread deteriorate into that discussion, plenty of threads where you can talk about negligence.

There are other threads flooded with opinions on this subject, please don't let this thread deteriorate into that discussion, plenty of threads where you can talk about negligence.

So sorry thread police......anyway, just wanted to say I wasn't necessarily defending rccl. Thanks for that, though [emoji41][emoji41]

I live in Florida and love that I have so many ports within driving distance. If I lived up north I would be one of the people cruising out of the northeast. Too much hassle flying. Too limited to what you can pack. Extra vacation days taken to fly to Florida with enough time to not miss your cruise. I get it. So stay inside the ship the first couple days gamble, eat. Then get out and enjoy the sun

So sorry thread police......anyway, just wanted to say I wasn't necessarily defending rccl. Thanks for that, though [emoji41][emoji41]

I wasn't trying to be condescending I just don't know if I can take another thread headed down a dark path. This one is staying above board so far with just lighthearted opinions. Trying to keep the peace [emoji106]🏻

I wasn't trying to be condescending I just don't know if I can take another thread headed down a dark path. This one is staying above board so far with just lighthearted opinions. Trying to keep the peace [emoji106]🏻

Lol, keeping the peace IMHO is not pointing out what you think should not be posted. Don't read if you don't like it.

My 2 Cents

I feel short changed, I don't think that was worth two cents.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

In a couple of weeks, we'll leave on our 19th cruise. With three exceptions, all of our cruises have been in Sept. or Oct. from NY to the Caribbean or to Bermuda. Our last 3 cruises have departed from Baltimore, and 2 were in February, 1 in September, and our next cruise will also be in February to the Bahamas from Baltimore. I suppose we were fortunate, because we had rough seas on a return to NY from Bermuda on one September cruise, and rough seas returning from Bahamas in Feb. 2015. I don't think that's too bad for 18 cruises.

We cruise in February, because the price is right, the warmer temps are usually felt by the middle of the second sea day, and we can drive to the port, etc.

One of our Feb. cruises, the temp. on the day we left was about 45-48 degrees and sunny, which was great. Another time we left Baltimore with snow on outside decks during muster, but even that wasn't bad. We were happy to leave the snow behind, and we were looking forward to the warmer weather.

To sum it up, we don't mind leaving from the northeast. Hopefully we'll have fair winds and following seas for our next cruise in a few weeks. (-: