Why would anyone take a cruise out of NE in the winter

MichaelinME

When I lived in Connecticut, we would take 10 day Caribbean cruises out of New York City, typically in January or February and I loved it! We would leave the house and two hours later we were at the pier. Once the ship departed we would sail down the Hudson and see the New York skyline and then go by the Statue of Liberty. We would have to duck inside pretty quickly because it would be very cold! In the next day and a half we would unwind and watch the climate change from Winter to Summer and then get to enjoy our Caribbean cruise. One time we did go through a large storm (evidently not as bad as Anthem) but that just added to the adventure. It has been my experience that the cruise ships do everything they can to avoid bad weather but sometimes stuff happens.

We love to cruise out of Bayonne or Baltimore since neither port include flights. Can take as much luggage as we want. We cruise in March, April and November and have not encountered much bad weather. Yes it is cold when we leave but in 2 days we are in the warm and still have a week or more left to enjoy the warm weather. It is a good thing that not all people like the same things or we would have trouble getting on the ships.

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

I would say a lot of the Northeast, I grew up sailing and bought it would've freaked me out I'd still be cruising so if anyone wants to get rid of their fcruise 50% off their cruise I'd be happy to take it !! I grew up on an island so we knew how the water could whip up in a moments notice

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

The title is phrased as a question, but this isn't actually a question. You are just looking for an opportunity to pretend that your two cents matter, in the hopes of feeling 'right' on the Internet. I hope your imaginary Internet points serve you well.

Here's why:

We did a 10 night cruise on NCL Dawn out of Manhattan a few years back. Rather than fly to Florida from Burlington, Vt , we drove to NYC in less than 6 hours ( we love road trips). Traveling with our 2 teens, airfare would have been at least $1400 (for the four of us) as it is school break week. Gas was about $100.

Leaving from Manhattan and passing the Statue of Liberty was amazing. We found no lack of things to do while waiting for the outdoor temperatures to warm up a bit. The pools were heated more than normal and I went swimming once past the statue.

We did hit a big storm, although nothing like the Anthem of the Seas.

Still, I'd do it again.

Flying to Florida wastes a day for us as we have to connect somewhere, usually NYC area, and then Florida hotel rates have spiked.

Many ships leave from the North and the ships are full, you obviously don't have the ability to put yourself in the shoes of others.

I do however feel bad for the passengers of the Anthem who did not get the vacation they were hoping for.

I miss Jay Leno and the tonight show. Once a month or so he aired a bit called "Judgemental Bastard"

I also think we could balance the budget on a rolling eyes emojii tax.

Edited by BillOh

With all the enclosed spaces I don't think these would be great Florida ships, just my opinion though.

Hmmm.....aren't those already going to the very same places that they'd be going from Florida too?

Why would they be an issue to the very same destinations from one port but not the other? Curious.

His show "Jay Leno's Garage" retains much of the same humor he displayed on NBC. It's very funny and a cool show!

As for me, I pretty much only cruise during hurricane season. Why not! :D

I miss Jay Leno and the tonight show. Once a month or so he aired a bit called "Judgemental Bastard"

I also think we could balance the budget on a rolling eyes emojii tax.

His show "Jay Leno's Garage" retains much of the same humor he displayed on NBC. It's very funny and a cool show!

As for me, I pretty much only cruise during hurricane season. Why not! :D

So do I. It was an identical attack on a port for no reason. Weather happens, 24/7, 365. No matter where. This thread is a joke.

If my husband and I want a really relaxing vacation in the winter, a cruise out of the NYC area is absolutely 100% the way we go. We happen to live in NJ, so it's a no-brainer.

This year we are doing April (because of work schedules) but we've done February before, and we will gladly, happily, jubilantly, excitedly do it again if the opportunity presents.

NO driving, NO concerns about packing or over-packing, NO paying for airfare, NO worries about aggravation at the airport.

If you can't find stuff to do on a cruise ship when it's chilly outside, well, I don't get that. And as far as a balcony? We ALWAYS get one. I don't mind being out there a little bundled up on the first and last sea days. I'm on a cruise for goodness sake!!!!!

It's all good...

My 2 Cents

We have cruised from New York in the winter a number of times: there are lots of reasons for doing so: not having to pay airfare, or for a pre-cruise hotel, makes the fare competitive. Avoiding the hassle of flying and limitations on luggage makes the whole exercise more enjoyable.

Most of the time we are in the Gulf Stream by afternoon of the first sea day, so there is no such thing as "many days" cold weather - coming back, only the last full day is really cold. Much of the ship's activities are sheltered so even the one and a half day of cool-to-cold weather can be enjoyed.

The sense of transitioning from winter to warmth adds to the enjoyment. While sailing out of New York gives you the most dramatic sailaway possible.

Finally, your repeated reference to " the Northeast Atlantic" demonstrates your utter lack of understanding of the topic you chose to initiate. The Northeast Atlantic properly includes the coasts or Iceland, Ireland and Northwest Europe generally. Sailing from New York involves entering the Western Atlantic.

Sailing out of NYC on a ship built for cold weather cruising is very nice and the convenience of being able to drive to the port is great even for us who live seven hours away. We can drive to Bayonne in less time, expense and hassle than flying to Florida even if one has a non-stop flight to get there when you consider all the actual time and expense involved in doing so. It's was a lot less expensive to drive to our Anthem cruise last month from just across the border from Buffalo as cost for us was $20 in gas and no tolls. We were only two for our cruise last month and will be the same for the one next month but have done this with four previously. Returning there was a $3.50 border bridge toll but we would have that flying out of BUF anyway. Also you vehicle is there if your cruise is cut short and the ship happens to return early.

Next months Anthem cruise will be our sixth cruise out of NY harbor.

Below is what one can enjoy on that cold first day and cool half. It's not really outdoor but it's pretty close.

attachment.php?attachmentid=375995&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375996&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375997&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375998&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375999&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=376000&d=1455187037

Would a person need to purchase a spa package to use these spaces you posted?

3000 is your cut off for safety?

Why?

Proof?

I don't need proof. I simply said I would not sail on a massive ship that looks top heavy when in port. One of these days, it is my humble opinion, based on nothing else except glancing at a top heavy ship that they or at least one is going to end like the Titanic. I don't believe the question is where you are sailing from or to....a ship should be able to withstand any sort of weather and any conditions. I have crossed the North Atlantic many times in the winter with rough conditions. Many ships go around the world but we have entered a new age of Massive ships that may or may not be safe to sail.....I would prefer to err on the side where "I" feel safe. I am sure this all has been examined by structural engineers and declared "safe." But so was the Titanic - it was unsinkable as I recall and no one could prove the contrary until it sank.:) Mike

I don't need proof. I simply said I would not sail on a massive ship that looks top heavy when in port. One of these days, it is my humble opinion, based on nothing else except glancing at a top heavy ship that they or at least one is going to end like the Titanic. I don't believe the question is where you are sailing from or to....a ship should be able to withstand any sort of weather and any conditions. I have crossed the North Atlantic many times in the winter with rough conditions. Many ships go around the world but we have entered a new age of Massive ships that may or may not be safe to sail.....I would prefer to err on the side where "I" feel safe. I am sure this all has been examined by structural engineers and declared "safe." But so was the Titanic - it was unsinkable as I recall and no one could prove the contrary until it sank.:) Mike

I worry about a lot of things...probably too many! But in all honesty, this doesn't even come close to being on my radar.

Oh well. To each his own.

If you really want to go to Disney World or Disney Land by all means do so. You can ice skate, climb walls, etc. If you want to cruise it is my humble opinion do that on a ship without all the Disney Land and Magic Kingdom add ons. This, for me, applies to all lines but especially to some who seem to be trying to cater to everyone and everything and had best watch the sea worthiness of their ships . Mike:)

Edited by bobby3334