Why would anyone take a cruise out of NE in the winter

MichaelinME

I live in Fl and its cold here. Not NE cold, but not warm.

If you fly out of NY, you risk being snowed in. If you cruise down you risk stormy waters.

Flip a coin.

Me? Ill wait till March. We cruised from FL to Caribbean in early Feb, a few years before we moved here, and had rough seas and wore layers the whole time.

Well, I live in NYC so I'll give you my answer. For one thing, I can be at the pier and on vacation in 10 minutes flat, no airfare, no wasted days traveling, no luggage restrictions and minimum advance planning. For another thing, I'm not a beach person, don't like to lie in the sun and never use the pools on ships anyway. I do agree that I would not pay for a balcony for a winter cruise out of a northern port.

All I can say is there must be tens of thousands of insane people filling the ships sailing out of the northeast in the wintertime, and I guess I'm one of them as I'm sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore this Saturday. Maybe it's some kind of group psychosis or something. Maybe there should be an investigation.

All I can say is there must be tens of thousands of insane people filling the ships sailing out of the northeast in the wintertime, and I guess I'm one of them as I'm sailing on the Grandeur out of Baltimore this Saturday. Maybe it's some kind of group psychosis or something. Maybe there should be an investigation.

Psychotics of the Northeast UNITE!

I agree with the OP. I stated this on one of the countless threads about this today. We live one hour from Baltimore and three from NYC but I have no desire to cruise from either place. I like to be in the warmth when I get off the plane not three days into the cruise. We have always cruised from FL or Puerto Rico.
Doesn't take anywhere near 3 days to be in pretty warm weather. Usually middle of 2nd day is warm

Just to add, I believe rccl was negligent in sailing out of Bayonne in the first place.

I guess they shouldn't sail from anywhere as bad weather can happen everywhere

Ships have been cruising out of New York/New Jersey for a hundred years.

When you live twenty minutes by cab from the cruise pier it's a luxury. When you don't have to deal with airports, crowds, airfare. When you just board the ship and you're on vacation.

I've been sailing on liners from New York since I was a baby, there have been some rough days but, they are often followed by glorious calm.

There's something very special about cruising from arctic cold to balmy breezes, it's magic.

You can cruise from Florida we'll keep cruising from Manhattan, Brooklyn and New Jersey.

Jonathan

I've cruised from Bayonne in January and March; only really experienced bad weather coming back from the January sailing, where we had to stay indoors for the last sea day, but other than that it was great.

I would sail out of NJ again, but probably a different time of year. It's a quick and cheap flight from Toronto and if necessary, the drive can be done in about 10 hours.

Psychotics of the Northeast UNITE!

Count me in as a psychotic of the Northeast! I should be at the top of the list since I'm one of the nuts on the cruise to nowhere March 4th. Not only am I sailing out of the Northeast but we're sailing to flippin Canada :)

I live about 45 min away from either local port. I absolutely hate to fly and if I have to I start stressing about flying the second I book my ticket. My husband works for Major League Baseball so our best opportunity to take a vacation together is in the winter.

In the last 3 years I've done 2 cruises out of NJ and was pregnant during both. The first night on both were definitely rough but in my opinion were totally worth it to be able to drive to the port. You also realize that most people can't magically travel to Florida for free right? Throw in the airfare and hotel and cruising out of Florida is certainly no cheaper for me.

My priorities for this next cruise:

1.Sleep

2.Eat

3.Sleep

4. Netflix and chill ;)

5. Sleep

Oh and I always book a balcony because I like to get some fresh air, even if it's cold air.

I would in turn ask why someone would spend so much time on cruise critic ranting about a cruise they weren't even on... but eh, what you do with your free time really has no relevance to my life.

I have sailed dozens of times over 45 years many TransAtlantic. For me the problem is that the ships are turning into apartment buildings and are simply too big to sail safely. I wouldn't get on a ship that holds in the neighborhood of more than 3,000 passengers. My ideal size is around 700. These apartment buildings (I have been tied up near to them) look like they are about to topple over even when standing still:) Remember the Titanic

Edited by bobby3334

I have sailed dozens of times over 45 years many TransAtlantic. For me the problem is that the ships are turning into apartment buildings and are simply too big to sail safely. I wouldn't get on a ship that holds in the neighborhood of more than 3,000 passengers. My ideal size is around 700. These apartment buildings (I have been tied up near to them) look like they are about to topple over even when standing still:) Remember the Titanic

3000 is your cut off for safety?

Why?

Proof?

Count me in as a psychotic of the Northeast! I should be at the top of the list since I'm one of the nuts on the cruise to nowhere March 4th. Not only am I sailing out of the Northeast but we're sailing to flippin Canada :)

I live about 45 min away from either local port. I absolutely hate to fly and if I have to I start stressing about flying the second I book my ticket. My husband works for Major League Baseball so our best opportunity to take a vacation together is in the winter.

In the last 3 years I've done 2 cruises out of NJ and was pregnant during both. The first night on both were definitely rough but in my opinion were totally worth it to be able to drive to the port. You also realize that most people can't magically travel to Florida for free right? Throw in the airfare and hotel and cruising out of Florida is certainly no cheaper for me.

My priorities for this next cruise:

1.Sleep

2.Eat

3.Sleep

4. Netflix and chill ;)

5. Sleep

Oh and I always book a balcony because I like to get some fresh air, even if it's cold air.

I would in turn ask why someone would spend so much time on cruise critic ranting about a cruise they weren't even on... but eh, what you do with your free time really has no relevance to my life.

Darn. I wish that I were on the March 4th cruise so that I could meet you and buy you a drink! :)

Darn. I wish that I were on the March 4th cruise so that I could meet you and buy you a drink! :)

Aww thanks, same to you! I rarely post but always read the boards before I cruise and over the last month your posts have definitely stuck out to me. We definitely seem to have a similar sense of humor :) Something sorely lacking among many on these boards.

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

Convenience, duh, evidently enough people think so and the demand is there for a megaship to be filled.

Lucky for RCCL they didn't lose it and have another Costa Concordia disaster. THey made a judgement call that was how close to a fiasco of epic Titanic levels...

You don't have the cost/aggravation of flying

When you consider what you're paying for a week's cruise, a few hundred dollars is insignificant.

As for the aggravation, I agree flying is a bigger hassle since 9-11 but I still prefer it over dealing with the long drive...

I actual liked this topic for discussion because I was considering cancelling a 14 day cruise next winter until I read this. :)

The reason I booked My first cruise from the northeast:

longer vacation

short plane ride with no connections this time

a mega ship to enjoy the inside a couple of days

8 islands which some are very far south

Thanks for helping me make my mind up!

I've done a New Years cruise out of Florida when the dancers could not perform from the motion and sickness for two days on a week long vacation.

OP--lots of other people have posted about the convenience aspect--which is a clear driver, but really, many of your points assume that all cruisers are like yourself, which is simply not the case.

You talk about it being too cold to be out on deck, or the balcony, etc. So? Apparently you cruise for warm weather, which is FINE, but I don't care much about that. I've sat on my balcony, enjoying views and fresh air while bundled up in a coat and hat and gloves and been quite happy. And if it is too windy/rainy to be out on the balcony, I might still open the door just for some fresh air in the cabin.

I find almost any ship, and certainly one like Anthem, has TONS of fun things that i can do while staying inside, dry and warm: trivia games, dance parties, shows, interesting people to meet at all of these things, and the like. I enjoy those much more than a day by the pool and gravitate to them even when the weather is hot and skies sunny.

I enjoy a little bit of movement on a ship and find that some of my best stories and most interesting days have been the ones when outer decks were closed and we were tossing a bit in waves, or that day we stayed all day with two tugs pushing us up into the dock to keep the waves from crashing us into it, the captain waiting for that brief moment when things would let up enough for us to safely move away from shore, meanwhile we all got to watch huge waves crash over the pier and buses parked nearby.

No, I don't want a night like Anthem just experienced, but I know how rare that is and the more likely ship movement and the cooler weather you see as cons are just another part of an overall positive experience for me.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Sailing out of NYC on a ship built for cold weather cruising is very nice and the convenience of being able to drive to the port is great even for us who live seven hours away. We can drive to Bayonne in less time, expense and hassle than flying to Florida even if one has a non-stop flight to get there when you consider all the actual time and expense involved in doing so. It's was a lot less expensive to drive to our Anthem cruise last month from just across the border from Buffalo as cost for us was $20 in gas and no tolls. We were only two for our cruise last month and will be the same for the one next month but have done this with four previously. Returning there was a $3.50 border bridge toll but we would have that flying out of BUF anyway. Also you vehicle is there if your cruise is cut short and the ship happens to return early.

Next months Anthem cruise will be our sixth cruise out of NY harbor.

Below is what one can enjoy on that cold first day and cool half. It's not really outdoor but it's pretty close.

attachment.php?attachmentid=375995&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375996&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375997&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375998&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375999&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=376000&d=1455187037

P1151550.jpg.9fad2e52ae05b103beb76f959c1782f2.jpg

P1151551.jpg.b3cd2b66d7813d495d0a1894e7695e20.jpg

P1151552.jpg.3493c337e9a5b5da30edcd06e679881e.jpg

P1151553.jpg.5c2f5b513fdc800b3c336d1251aa5374.jpg

P1151554.jpg.e14e3fd1f43abef91feabec40f95bb99.jpg

P1151555.jpg.767eb44e481d4014131e0cd140b726a6.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Here my two cent to OP. I totally disagree with you.

Going to caribbean in summer is waste of my time because i got the same amount of heat down there.

The cruise during the summer is so expensive.

There are tons of kids that i don't want to go near, even tho kids are cool to hang out.

Winter is a bargain.

It enjoyable to cruise to warm weather.

Enjoying the rocking and rolling.

Longer cruise time.

Hurricane seasons are more risky to sail out especially in october and november.

i don't want to fly when the cruise port is in the hudson harbor.

Cruising is more safer then plane. Look at how many people get killed compare to airplane. Airplane you are trap. Ship have way to escape.