Why would anyone take a cruise out of NE in the winter

MichaelinME

My brother and his wife sailed out of Baltimore a couple of weeks ago. Their ship missed the brunt of this storm but still had some rough seas to deal with. They picked this cruise because it fit their schedules and their budget.

For the life of me, why would anyone take a cruise out of the Northeast during the winter.

Along with paying a premium for this cruise. It is raw and cold outside. You lose many days staying indoors keeping warm and really can't fully enjoy all the ship has to offer.

Paying a premium for balcony cabins that you can't go out and enjoy on the way down and return, because it's freezing out. Seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

But more importantly you are at a much higher risk of volatile waters in the Northeast Atlantic, especially in the winter, with storms riding up the seaboard.

Think about it. If you are prone to sea sickness or motion, you are almost guaranteed to be sick on the ship during this time of year.

I have been on 75 Cruises and experienced it all in many different areas of the world. The Northeast Atlantic is prone to volatile waters.

My 2 Cents

For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would get on a plane to Florida just to get on a ship when there are convenient (for me) sailings right out of New York harbor year round. I have done November and December Caribbeans and the sea days sailing south are a wonderful way to decompress. Just my 2 cents. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by BlueRiband

For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would get on a plane to Florida just to get on a ship when there are convenient (for me) sailings right out of New York harbor year round. I have done November and December Caribbeans and the sea days sailing south are a wonderful way to decompress. Just my 2 cents. Different strokes for different folks.

Aside from the hassle of getting on a plane to Florida for a cruise, there is the chance of NOT getting on that plane, and missing a sailing from Florida. The same weather conditions at sea which scare some people away from fruiting out of New York can result in flights from New York being cancelled for a day or so.

Guest maddycat

attachment.php?attachmentid=375995&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375996&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375997&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375998&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=375999&d=1455187037

attachment.php?attachmentid=376000&d=1455187037

Would a person need to purchase a spa package to use these spaces you posted?

These are pictures of the solarium, the indoor adult pool area. It's for anyone 16 yrs. and older to use. No charge.

The Anthem also has another indoor pool area that is open to everyone. And 2 outdoor pools.....one is for children while the other is open to everyone.

Anthem was designed to sail from a cold weather port.

These are pictures of the solarium, the indoor adult pool area. It's for anyone 16 yrs. and older to use. No charge.

The Anthem also has another indoor pool area that is open to everyone. And 2 outdoor pools.....one is for children while the other is open to everyone.

Anthem was designed to sail from a cold weather port.

Actually the first & last picture is the Indoor Pool which is for all ages.

Edited by VikingCrown555

I understand the OP's question...and I'd ask the same thing! I vacation for GOOD weather....not simply to "get away"..

Of course: "not simply to 'get away' " ( getting away from Connecticut to Labrador would not do) but to get away to where there is good weather --- that is what we are talking about. And a day or so each way, at sea, even though it be chilly is preferable to flying in winter. Also, once at sea, the moderating effect of the ocean makes things substantially warmer than when inland.

Because it feels so good to get out of the northeast this time of year; while during the rest of the year we do not have the oppressive heat and humidity of the south, the tornados of the midwest, the floods of the Mississippi valley, or the wild fires and mud slides of California.

Because the money we save by not having to pay CA taxes easily finances our entire winter in Puerto Vallarta ;)

Hank

I've cruised out of SF & LA in our version of Winter. I recall actually having to wear a fleece while on deck to keep warm. 😀

But the point is, the OP's post is click bait. There is no right or wrong. But where's the CC fun in merely accepting opinions that differ from our own, right? 😉

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk