First Neptune Suite questions

dznymom

We are excited to be taking our third HAL cruise next month on the Zuiderdam doing the partial Panama Canal. We got a steal of a deal on a Neptune Suite and chose a corner wrap which I am thrilled about. From the pictures I have found it looks like there is a table large enough for the 2 of us to have breakfast, and a few other chairs (with footrests?) for relaxing. Can anyone confirm this?

I know about most of the perks that come with the Neptune I think, but I do have a few questions. Has anyone had the High Tea delivered to the suite, and if so how would you rate it?

Is there any reason to book ahead or will the concierge arrange dining for us in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room? (We don't have traditional dining.)

Is there anything we should be sure to take advantage of? I don't want to miss anything! We have enjoyed the suite life on NCL and I want to see how this compares :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by dznymom

We sailed in a corner suite on the Westerdam a few years ago (same layout) The verandah was huge with a table with four chairs AND two chairs with footstools AND two loungers you could lay down on, with tons of room between. You could fit a small crowd on the verandah.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was one of our favorite Neptune perks - so quiet and low key. We felt so pampered in the morning. But on one ship they changed the location to the upper dining room, and it was just not the same. So be sure to check it out and see if this is something else you might enjoy.

I just like having the small snacks during the day in the Lounge so I never went to the Lido for anything. Did not order Tea for the suite, but we did order hor d'ouvres when we had guests and they over-loaded us with large plates of both hot and cold choices --way too much,

I should have just picked up a few things from the Lounge. But that is still a fun thing to do when you have such a special space to enjoy - invite some shipmates in for a special treat. Hard to finish the complimentary bottle of champagne on your own, right?

OP

I would book the specialty restaurants ahead of time so that you get the time and dates you want.

The concierges can do only so much -- once the specialty restaurants are full -- that's it.

As for Open Seating, the concierges can reserve times and size of table for you for certain times: 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM.

The day you enter the locks, for breakfast there will be Panama Buns. You will see them everywhere -- out on the decks, in the Lido, main dining room. We love them, hope you try them.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was one of our favorite Neptune perks - so quiet and low key. We felt so pampered in the morning. But on one ship they changed the location to the upper dining room, and it was just not the same. So be sure to check it out and see if this is something else you might enjoy.

I just like having the small snacks during the day in the Lounge so I never went to the Lido for anything. Did not order Tea for the suite, but we did order hor d'ouvres when we had guests and they over-loaded us with large plates of both hot and cold choices --way too much,

I should have just picked up a few things from the Lounge. But that is still a fun thing to do when you have such a special space to enjoy - invite some shipmates in for a special treat. Hard to finish the complimentary bottle of champagne on your own, right?

I see that you sailed on the Amsterdam. None of the R class ships have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for the Neptune and Pinnacle Suites. Originally we were able to have breakfast in the King's Room. But the King's Room is now a storage area. We discovered this in 2011 when we sailed on the Amsterdam again.

I see that you sailed on the Amsterdam. None of the R class ships have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for the Neptune and Pinnacle Suites. Originally we were able to have breakfast in the King's Room. But the King's Room is now a storage area. We discovered this in 2011 when we sailed on the Amsterdam again.

Fortunately, this should not be an issue for the OP

Edited by kazu

At the Ft Lauderdale Sail-Away we invited the couple next door to join us on our beautiful wrap-around deck so they could wave to the apartments and the webcam and get the full effect of leaving Ft. Laud. I am sure they will be thinking of getting a suite sometime in the future. (we had an invite to a party from a CCer and I decided I needed one of these suites in the future)

They are away from the Neptune Lounge but I didn't think it was a long walk. Plus, the sofas in the lounge seem to be to close to the floor for me.

We are excited to be taking our third HAL cruise next month on the Zuiderdam doing the partial Panama Canal. We got a steal of a deal on a Neptune Suite and chose a corner wrap which I am thrilled about.

I know about most of the perks that come with the Neptune I think, but I do have a few questions. Has anyone had the High Tea delivered to the suite, and if so how would you rate it?

Is there any reason to book ahead or will the concierge arrange dining for us in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room? (We don't have traditional dining.)

Is there anything we should be sure to take advantage of? I don't want to miss anything! We have enjoyed the suite life on NCL and I want to see how this compares :)

We had a deck 5 aft-wrap on the Zuiderdam for a Panama Canal cruise and it was fantastic!

To answer some of your questions: we had high tea in our suite once and it was very good IMO. we had 5 people and there was plenty of tea and snacks. They brought a box of teas for us to select from.

If you are in a VERY hot area (like Panama), keep your drapes closed during the heat of the day to help keep your large cabin cool.

The concierge can make your dining reservations, but be advised that on some cruises it is hard to get a specific date and time. So, you may want to book your meal prior to sailing using HAL's ship services department.

You likely will get a gift of a bottle of champagne when you arrive. IMO, it is not very drinkable, so I always take mine to the Neptune concierge and exchange it for something else (other wine, soda, beer, water, etc.). Rules on this vary by ship.

Do not forget about the free laundry service. They do a very good job and use this to reduce your packing!

Have a great time in this fantastic cabin! IMO, Zuiderdam's crew is the best in HAL's fleet!

Edited by DaveOKC

What everyone said...plus: priority embarkation and disembarkation at beginning and end of cruise plus ports where there is tender service. The wrap balcony makes dining on the deck favorable. we really enjoyed breakfast outdoors, whether at sea or port. The wrap cabin is somewhat smaller than the other Neptune suites and that's the tradeoff for the balcony. We thought it was worth it. It's a long walk to the Neptune lounge but it's worth it. Breakfast in Pinnacle is indeed nice as well.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks for all the great responses! My excitement is ramping up and I still have over a month to wait.

I will sit down with DH tonight and see which specialties he wants to do and book those ahead. Is is still $29 for the Pinnacle Grill and only $10 for Canaletto? (Heck, the limoncello dessert is worth $10 by itself!) Is there anything else available that I am missing?

I think we will alternate between breakfast on the balcony and in the Pinnacle Grill. They both sound delightful.

NoobCruise, thank you so much for the pictures. We are deck 4, so I guess even a little more balcony space. WOW! With that balcony, I certainly don't mind the trade off of a slightly smaller stateroom. We have survived some pretty small cabins over the years and are none the worse for it ;)

So, what you have all taught me so far: Pack light and use the laundry service. Try to trade sparkling wine for something (anything) drinkable. Must try Panama Buns! Keep the curtains closed during the heat of the day. Make specialty reservations in advance. MAKE FRIENDS and share the bounty :D

My favorite Neptune/Pinnacle Suite benefits have always been included laundry and dry cleaning, use of Neptune Lounge/Concierge, priority (such as it is these days) tender and breakfast in Pinnacle.

Of course, the large cabin and verandah are mostly what it is all about for most of us.

Along with the free laundry, is free dry cleaning for Neptune Suites - another nice perk particularly if you are bringing formal wear. We typically found same-day turnaround for our laundry/pressing when in a Neptune suite, which spoiled us because it can often be a day or two when we are in non-Neptune suites. But they do a wonderful job, so just plan accordingly in case there is a day delay.

Oooh, just thought of another quick question. When would the first formal night likely be, and will I have time to send things out to to be pressed beforehand?

The first formal night is the sea day after HMC.

The second formal night will be the first sea day after you leave Costa Rica.

Yes -- you will have time to send items out to be pressed before the first formal night.

Thanks for all the great responses! My excitement is ramping up and I still have over a month to wait.

I will sit down with DH tonight and see which specialties he wants to do and book those ahead. Is is still $29 for the Pinnacle Grill and only $10 for Canaletto? (Heck, the limoncello dessert is worth $10 by itself!) Is there anything else available that I am missing?

I think we will alternate between breakfast on the balcony and in the Pinnacle Grill. They both sound delightful.

NoobCruise, thank you so much for the pictures. We are deck 4, so I guess even a little more balcony space. WOW! With that balcony, I certainly don't mind the trade off of a slightly smaller stateroom. We have survived some pretty small cabins over the years and are none the worse for it ;)

So, what you have all taught me so far: Pack light and use the laundry service. Try to trade sparkling wine for something (anything) drinkable. Must try Panama Buns! Keep the curtains closed during the heat of the day. Make specialty reservations in advance. MAKE FRIENDS and share the bounty :D

Yes the Pinnacle Grill is $29 per person for dinner and $10 per person for lunch.

And the Canaletto is still $10 per person for dinner.

Along with the free laundry, is free dry cleaning for Neptune Suites - another nice perk particularly if you are bringing formal wear. We typically found same-day turnaround for our laundry/pressing when in a Neptune suite, which spoiled us because it can often be a day or two when we are in non-Neptune suites. But they do a wonderful job, so just plan accordingly in case there is a day delay.

I call the laundry and dry cleaning 'included in the cost' of the suites. There is nothing free on a cruise ship. :)

The Neptune Lounge has the best coffee on the ship (or espresso/cappuccino). Hanging around the Neptune Lounge machine in the morning is good way to meet the ship's officers - they know where the good coffee is and it's close to the bridge.

I call the laundry and dry cleaning 'included in the cost' of the suites. There is nothing free on a cruise ship. :)

Good point, of course. But one should not miss out on any of the "included" benefits since they have been paid for up front.

Take full advantage of the concierge. If anything is less than perfect let them know. You should never need to go to the front desk or shore excursion desk. They will take care of all of that. I personally have never heard them say, "We can't do anything about that." They have found a solution to every request I made.

The Neptune Lounge has the best coffee on the ship (or espresso/cappuccino). Hanging around the Neptune Lounge machine in the morning is good way to meet the ship's officers - they know where the good coffee is and it's close to the bridge.

DH does love the there.

But rarely do we ever see officers in there.

DH and I will be in our third Neptune Suite on the Maasdam in April. Love, love them. I have already made our reservation for the Pinnacle Grill for the first night to be sure to get the time we wanted. On the Nieuw Amsterdam, we ordered our dinners from the Main Dining Room through the Neptune Lounge concierge every afternoon. We received the menu, checked off what we wanted and took it to the concierge. Food arrived hot and on time. Always a fresh flower, too. We loved having our breakfasts and dinners in our suite, more relaxing for us. The balcony has plenty of room for eating comfortably out there with a table and 4 chairs. We went to the Neptune Lounge during the day to get a snack and talk to other passengers. You will love your Neptune Suite and won't want to go back to a different category, unless of course it's the Penthouse Suite! Someday........

The Neptune Lounge on the Noordam had a drawer under the television filled with paperbacks. Was a much larger selection that what was on the paperback exchange shelf in the library. I don't know if the other ships do anything similar.