Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

If there were no financial disadvantage, I probably would cancel (to go a bit later on) just from the sheer aggravation of all the uncertainty in the preceding days. However, I also tend to get a bad case of "traveler's remorse" in the last 2 or 3 days prior to ANY trip, which usually subsides by the time I'm on the plane or the interstate or whatever. Some people love all the preparation for a trip. I despise it!

TNcruzer56....... when you point a finger at somebody ....

you are pointing "3" back at yourself....

The captain and crew did the best job ever....

In all reality YOU are the only one complaining and YOU were NOT on the cruise...

Take your negativity and go some place else... and let the real victim tell their story.

Edited by rjrice1

You`re right-

Lie # 2 from your trusty Cap`t.

"Nothing but cosmetic damage"

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthem-of-Seas-Cruise-Ship-Storm-Damage-Coast-Guard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

One of the Azipods was out of commission, all the way back from the hurricane-How many more lies are going to surface in the next 48 hours.

Still wanna sail with captain honest???

Well, when I was on one of the initial cruises of Celebrity Reflection in the Med, we lost an Azipod after about 3 days. We missed a port, went directly to the next one where techies boarded, and continued on, at a slower speed. No biggie. After our cruise it was headed on Her transatlantic and made it just fine.

Look at OP's posting history. Until Anthem, he has been an NCL board denizen. He has only come over here to badmouth the Anthem situation.

Argh, so classy! :rolleyes: And as someone who primarily is on the NCL boards and could be described as having NCL "brand loyalty" - I would sail with this captain, based on the information we have now. I've always wanted to experience a true megaship, and Anthem and Oasis have tempted me. Nothing in this past week's events makes me less tempted (well, maybe I'll avoid sailings in the Atlantic in January/February!)

In retrospect, should Anthem have probably stayed in port and tried to evade the storm entirely? Sure.

Should there be a conscious effort to improve planning and make sure cruise passengers aren't subjected to conditions like that? Absolutely.

Should the captain be tarred and feathered for not being clairvoyant? Heck no!

A forecast last Thursday night (Feb 4) from the NWS Ocean Prediction Center said that by Sunday night, the Atlantic Ocean off the Carolinas would experience winds up to 50 knots (57.5 mph) and seas up to to 31 feet. By Saturday afternoon, forecasts were calling for 65 knot (75 mph)winds and seas to 11.5 meters (about 38 feet) by noon Sunday.

The Anthem has highly multiple sophisticated meteorological systems aboard.

On Saturday has was fully aware the monster was growing, (barometric pressure falling, isobars getting tighter and a defined "eye" was forming.

He knew this on SATURDAY. Armed with the information that the beast was growing, he just headed right into it.

On Sunday at 1 or 2, he could have turned around. pressure system

capture3.jpg?resize=800%2C548

Who cares ? Did you suffer personal/financial loss due to this ? Were you directly affected by this ? **** happens, the Concordia running aground by a total ******* of a captain was far more newsworthy than a ship getting caught in an Atlantic storm. Sure there may have been a slight lapse of judgement but not to the point that we need to be practically obsessing about it.

It now appears that the Feb 13 cruise will not go forward as planned ...

The cruise ship that cut its voyage short after getting battered by rough seas and powerful winds during a storm in the Atlantic Ocean sustained damage to a key part of its propulsion system and officials are ordering it be fixed before the ship returns to sea for its next cruise this weekend, authorities say.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthem-of-Seas-Cruise-Ship-Storm-Damage-Coast-Guard-Inspectors-Royal-Caribbean-368534091.html

Of course I would sail on Sat - wish I could go!

I was on Carnival Fantasy the day Sandy was just east of Charleston and although our sailing was delayed by about 4 hours, we went right out into the Atlantic - rough seas and all. That night, it was a bumpy ride, but I was never afraid and I don't recall masses of passengers protesting our departure either.

I can just imagine all of the protests and people ready to sue RCI if they had canceled the cruise last week.

Where does it say the cruise isn't going foward? All I've seen is that is has to be fixed before they depart, which has possibly already been done according to other reports on threads on CC. And, that article was written yesterday so that doesn't give a true update.

Edited by BND

Where does it say the cruise isn't going foward? All I've seen is that is has to be fixed before they depart, which has possibly already been done according to other reports on threads on CC. And, that article was written yesterday so that doesn't give a true update.

This article from this morning (http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/02/coast_guard_deems_storm-damaged_cruise_ship_seawor.html) which references the one (s)he mentions is far more optimistic:

The U.S. Coast Guard said a Royal Caribbean cruise ship damaged in a storm on Sunday should be able to depart as scheduled on its next voyage Saturday afternoon, pending some necessary repairs.

"Based upon progress made over the last two days, it is anticipated that

Anthem of the Seas will be able to sail as scheduled," Coast Guard spokesman Charles Rowe said in an email Friday morning. "However, repairs must

be fully completed and tests of critical systems -- anything related to

safety of the vessel and its passengers and crew -- must be conducted."

Coast Guard inspectors began going over the Anthem of the Seas for damage after it arrived back at its home port at Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Wednesday night.

And, I did see them walking about while I was in the Schooner.

Edited by KarinaGW

This article (http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/02/coast_guard_deems_storm-damaged_cruise_ship_seawor.html) which references the one she mentions is far more optimistic:

The U.S. Coast Guard said a Royal Caribbean cruise ship damaged in a storm on Sunday should be able to depart as scheduled on its next voyage Saturday afternoon, pending some necessary repairs.

"Based upon progress made over the last two days, it is anticipated that

Anthem of the Seas will be able to sail as scheduled," Coast Guard spokesman Charles Rowe said in an email Friday morning. "However, repairs must

be fully completed and tests of critical systems -- anything related to

safety of the vessel and its passengers and crew -- must be conducted."

Coast Guard inspectors began going over the Anthem of the Seas for damage after it arrived back at its home port at Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Wednesday night.

And, I did see them walking about while I was in the Schooner.

I was just coming back to post a link to that story. I still don't get where Cuizer2 got the idea that it wasn't going to go foward as planned from the article that said no such thing.

You're a day late as that is old news. Here is the most recent update http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/02/coast_guard_deems_storm-damaged_cruise_ship_seawor.html

Anyone else notice that at the end of the article it mentions a Disney cruise and not RCCL?

:D

Edited by jonj