Since when does it cost more for a handicap room?

sassy~one

Shakeybeef...sure like your comments.

My dad was a judgmental cowboy until there with mom...it is a wild west no matter where you are from mentality that is so harsh here...and the worst of my dad is being a product of that for his own self help skills and those toward others..compassion and the patience of Job and I agree,,,,learning to maneuver a scooter on the ship...fabulous ideas....only way...kind confrontation to some may move mountains too.

Thanks, Sjn911!:) That means a lot coming from you.:o You have always stood out as a beacon of decency and compassion on these boards.

Thanks, Sjn911!:) That means a lot coming from you.:o You have always stood out as a beacon of decency and compassion on these boards.

That means a lot to me...made/make a few mistakes here like everywhere....so hard on myself from my dad more than anyone;;;; but having him to learn to love him with mom gone and finding how much a chip I am off the block in so many ways:o...such a patient learning and wonderful gift:)..I cut my computer board teeth here so thanks so much for that.

Not so many compliments and live with a group so different than moi...you made my day...thank you so.

Edited by sjn911

LOL..last post..I promise..just had the thought that I am end of the big boomer group...a long big group..and more and more of us need the help each year and really starting now...along with need to get most bang for your buck to do anything,,,this will be any good affordable line's continuing balancing act...maybe we can one day move around with air packs on our backs and pillows on our behinds...lol.

I agree that it should not up to customers whether of not they book a handicap cabin . (Their conscience should stop them but that's another issue) It must be the responsibility of the cruise line to discover if those requesting this cabin type are medically deserving . They can't be expected to do a full investigation for each booking but they should at least attempt to determine who is eligible .

Finally , unsold HC's should be thrown open to anyone 6 to 12 weeks prior to sailing .

I agree, people should not book them, but they do :( I believe that carnival does release unsold rooms about that time. Which is a reason you have to book so far in advance and can usually never get a close sale date or deal.

FWIW, carnival can't require proof of a disability ever anyway. If someone has gotten a letter asking them to provide proof of a handicap, I would say...well I would say it didn't happen quite frankly. They could certainly ask you what services you will need. But they can't ask you what your disability is and/or to prove it.

I guess I only speak for our family, but we have always been ask to fill out the required paperwork stating our need for the handicap / modified room. And when we don't send back they call asking about it. Guess I am just a rule follower. One of the same reasons that I DO NOT use my husbands handicap plate / placard when at a store or elsewhere, even through the van that I drive daily and is in both our names has it on.

• Like 1

What people should or should not do is immaterial. As long as the rules or laws are followed one can do as they please. There is no rule that HC cabins are only for HC people and therefore there is no requirement that the occupants of an HC cabin actually be HC. As I stated, my friends have been called and asked to move for HC folks who need the cabin and they have nicely complied every time. But, that has happened in only about 25% of their cruises. When you try to reserve a cabin, did you ask them to check to see if an upcoming occupant would move? Maybe Carnival's system already identifies who is HC and who isn't and when they tell you that none are available that means all HC cabins are filled with HC people.

On the carnival website it states the following: Accessible staterooms are reserved for guests that have a mobility disability or disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the stateroom. We require our guest to acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Special Requirements Form. This form will be sent to you once the reservation has been secured and you have notified Carnival Cruise Lines that you or the person you are securing the stateroom for, requires the stateroom.

To each their own - but what your friends do is rule breaking. That is on them and you for knowing. As for asking to see if someone could be moved. YES every cruise that I have tried to book and have NOT been able to. I am not saying that other handicap people were not already booked in these rooms, as I have no idea. All I know is that carnival says non available. If they are in need then goof for them and that s fine with me. But it is when someone who is not handicap and just reserves for more space. That is just down right sad and mean. I just say I hope you are never in a need to require a handicap room for a reason such as ours.

Edited by cjankowski
  • Like 1

And this statement....... "If an accessible stateroom is booked by a guest who does not need the accessibility features in the stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability." ........is exactly why non-HC people can still book an HC cabin at any time (not just after final payment date). My guess is HC people are either looking on the site or calling and asking if an HC cabin is available and after being told no, they are all booked, they say thank you and hang up instead of asking if someone in a HC cabin does not need it.

Edited by TaDaaa!

On the carnival website it states the following: Accessible staterooms are reserved for guests that have a mobility disability or disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the stateroom. We require our guest to acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Special Requirements Form. This form will be sent to you once the reservation has been secured and you have notified Carnival Cruise Lines that you or the person you are securing the stateroom for, requires the stateroom.

To each their own - but what your friends do is rule breaking. That is on them and you for knowing. As for asking to see if someone could be moved. YES every cruise that I have tried to book and have NOT been able to. I am not saying that other handicap people were not already booked in these rooms, as I have no idea. All I know is that carnival says non available. If they are in need then goof for them and that s fine with me. But it is when someone who is not handicap and just reserves for more space. That is just down right sad and mean. I just say I hope you are never in a need to require a handicap room for a reason such as ours.

I think the focus should be on Carnival and not the people booking these cabins. If the cabins were blocked by Carnival then you would not be able to book unless you provided documentation. If Carnival releases them then it is not the fault of the one reserving the cabin to see an available cabin in a location they want and reserving it, paying for it, and unless asked to move enjoy it.

• Like 1

HAHA!! You think it's MY responsibility for what my friends do in life? While you're at it, throw the onus on my PVP because she's the one who did the booking (for this latest upcoming cruise) knowing that they are not HC and therefore she told them they may be required to move if an HC person needs it. So, as in so many other cases here, if CCL fails to enforce their rules (and based on other aspects where CCL states that a non-HC person may have to give up an HC cabin so I'm not sure they are violating a rule.........see what is in italics in the above post which is from the CCL site) why do you expect a customer to enforce them for CCL?

More than likely you are not paying more because it is handicap but because it is up on higher floors. Unless booking when a promotion says free upgrades there is usually always a higher price by a few $ as you go up.

I agree the key words were going up a floor or two. And don't you need to be handicap to be able to get a handicap room? I ask because I did not read, that they were in one to start with.

This family of 4 adults, with one person in a wheelchair for stamina and balance issues on a ship have never booked a handicapped cabin for the simple fact that there are hardly any cabins for 4 people that are accessible and the ones that are are not in a desired location on the ship. So, we do without and have been happy with it. We are offered an accessible cabin every time we book by our PVP and we decline so somebody who really needs one is able to book it.

What I am not happy with is the people who use scooters that park them in the hallways. It is virtually impossible for those using a wheelchair or another scooter to get by them in the hall. I have always in the past reported parked scooters in the hallways to guest services and/or security and they have been removed. It is a hazard to everybody else on the ship in an emergency situation. The scooters/wheelchairs are supposed to be put in your cabin.

• Like 1

We too have had a hard time booking handicapped cabins. My son is in a wheelchair. Not only do we need the bigger room, but we also need a place to bathe him. It is impossible to bathe him in a regular bathroom. Our last cruise we booked 9 months out and there were no handicapped rooms available. I asked them if they called around or sent a letter to make sure that everyone that had a handicapped room needed it and they stated they could but never heard anymore. It really is sad when you need a room and you can't get one. I don't think they go out of there way to find out if there is actually a room that someone has already booked but doesn't necessarily need.

For most people they don't realize just how hard it is and how much of a deal it is to people that need those rooms. I just hope they never have to find out!

Donna

What I am not happy with is the people who use scooters that park them in the hallways. It is virtually impossible for those using a wheelchair or another scooter to get by them in the hall. I have always in the past reported parked scooters in the hallways to guest services and/or security and they have been removed. It is a hazard to everybody else on the ship in an emergency situation. The scooters/wheelchairs are supposed to be put in your cabin.

Although I have previously complained in this thread about scooters (and wheelchairs ) in the corridor , in my experience, it hasn't been all that common . No excuse but often the offending item is gone after a hour or so .

Having said that, perhaps I should have reported these devices . Thank you blondietink for reminding me that those who suffer the most by this carelessness are others who require these devices and can't get by the ones parked in the hallways .

I've never seen a scooter, wheelchair, rollator, baby coach, or any device in the hallway. I will be using my scooter for the third time in less than two weeks when we cruise, and I would never, ever leave the scooter in the hallway. That's why there are rules. If people would read and abide by the rules, or if not, at least show common courtesy for others, we wouldn't need to have these discussions. As far as Carnival not enforcing the hallway rule, I can't respond to that. The first person we usually see when we board is our room steward, and both times I've boarded with my scooter, after hello, introductions, etc., the steward advises me or DH that my scooter can't be left in the hallway. I guess for some people it's common practice to leave things in the way.

I've never seen a scooter, wheelchair, rollator, baby coach, or any device in the hallway. I will be using my scooter for the third time in less than two weeks when we cruise, and I would never, ever leave the scooter in the hallway. That's why there are rules. If people would read and abide by the rules, or if not, at least show common courtesy for others, we wouldn't need to have these discussions. As far as Carnival not enforcing the hallway rule, I can't respond to that. The first person we usually see when we board is our room steward, and both times I've boarded with my scooter, after hello, introductions, etc., the steward advises me or DH that my scooter can't be left in the hallway. I guess for some people it's common practice to leave things in the way.

Try walking (or riding) down a hallway after 10pm. In 17 cruises, there hasn't been a single cruise where I haven't seen at least one scooter or wheelchair in the hallway. Common Courtesy is only practiced by those who actually care about how their actions affect others and those folks are far and and few in between these days.

Edited by TaDaaa!

Try walking (or riding) down a hallway after 10pm. In 17 cruises, there hasn't been a single cruise where I haven't seen at least one scooter or wheelchair in the hallway. Common Courtesy is only practiced by those who actually care about how their actions affect others and those folks are far and and few in between these days.

Do you not think you are being a little dramatic? Seriously, leaving a scooter in the hallway affects you that much? I really hope for every one on here that is complaining about these scooters/wheelchairs so much that they never need to use one. In all of my cruising we have never left our sons wheelchair in the hallway. Heck they cost too much money.

I think it is compassion that people now a days are lacking. For once think about what the person in the scooter/wheelchair has to go thru daily. Does everyone that uses a scooter absolutely need one? Probably not. Do they get in the way in the hallways? Probably. But not anymore than all the carts, etc.

Donna

Do you not think you are being a little dramatic? Seriously, leaving a scooter in the hallway affects you that much? I really hope for every one on here that is complaining about these scooters/wheelchairs so much that they never need to use one. In all of my cruising we have never left our sons wheelchair in the hallway. Heck they cost too much money.

I think it is compassion that people now a days are lacking. For once think about what the person in the scooter/wheelchair has to go thru daily. Does everyone that uses a scooter absolutely need one? Probably not. Do they get in the way in the hallways? Probably. But not anymore than all the carts, etc.

Donna

But see, that's the thing, those most affected by a scooter or wheelchair left in the hallway are other people on scooters and in wheelchairs (and parents pushing strollers). If one is already parked in the hall, it is very difficult to impossible for another one to get past it. You're right, compassion is needed here, but, as I said, it's needed from all parties. To recognize the parking of a scooter in the hall as inconsiderate does not make one inconsiderate, or lacking compassion for those that need scooters/wheelchairs.

Donna

Whether it affects me personally or not is immaterial. It's against the rules. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Compassion has nothing to do with people that break the rules. Maybe the person in the wheelchair/scooter should think about how their actions (leaving a wheelchair/scooter in the hallway) affects others.

If by carts you mean the stewards carts, they are required to do their jobs. They have the right to be there, wheelchairs/scooters do not.

And pray tell, just how am I being dramatic by stating factual information? Please explain which part you think is dramatic.

• 2 years later...

I know this is long after the post on this, but I must respond to the person that said scooters should be outlawed on cruise ships.  The only way that my husband can get around on a ship, is with a scooter.  It's very difficult to rely always on a wheelchair, as that determines that I must be with him all the time.(He doesn't always have the strength to wheel himself about in a wheelchair)  We are on vacation, but we do not want to be joined at the hip, so to speak.  A scooter allows him to enjoy his vacation just as much as everyone else - to come and go as he pleases. So far, we have been able to get a modified room on the ships, since he lost the ability to walk around a ship - but it's difficult - as there are very limited modified rooms that will take a larger scooter.  For the most part, employees and passengers have been extremely helpful and considerate of him (and others in scooters and wheelchairs) - but occasionally we do run into somebody who just thinks we are there to RUIN their vacation.  Have a little heart, you never know when you might be in this same position.

• Like 1

I think that requiring proof of disability could both help and hurt those who need accessible rooms. On one side, the cabins are limited and people who don't need them should leave them for those who do. On the other side, I couldn't imagine having to pay a doctor to make me a statement for every vacation. Also, getting medical records is a pain. I know that from when I was trying for the navy.

It just seems like something that would be in the way of accessibility. It's like a conversation on an article about service animals. People saw an article about an airport when someone got mad they couldn't take a peacock. Now there is this cry for requiring standardized papers. Sure, it would end the rare peacock or alligator, but I couldn't imagine being harassed for papers everywhere I went if I had a service dog. 

The only person it might bother would be the drunk stumbling down the hall at three in the morning. Hopefully you will not ever have the need to use a scooter on a cruise, if you object to someone having to sue a scooter 

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

The only person it might bother would be the drunk stumbling down the hall at three in the morning. Hopefully you will not ever have the need to use a scooter on a cruise, if you object to someone having to sue a scooter 

Or the people who have to get past the scooter in the dark or in smoke during an emergency.  Or the fire team who have to take the time to position a member to continually ensure their fire hose doesn't snag on the scooter.  I don't have any objection to someone needing a scooter, I object to the cruise line not abiding by the SOLAS regulations, which are law in both the US and Panama that require that all evacuation routes not be blocked or restricted by items stored in them.  The only ships that I am aware of that allow scooters to be stored in the passageways is Disney, where they have designated wide spots near the elevators (not at every cabin) where the scooters can be kept out of the way.  Other lines enforce these laws and require the scooter be stored inside the cabin.  Even the US Supreme Court has ruled that SOLAS trumps the ADA, both for US flag and foreign flag ships.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3