Since when does it cost more for a handicap room?

sassy~one

I'd say you were damned lucky no one screwed with it. People don't know you have to disengage the motor in back or you will ruin the motor if it is pushed.. I could imagine kids trying to take it on a joy ride. Of course they couldn't unless they have the key, but they don't know that.

I have never seen any kids attempting to take any scooter for a joy ride. I thought they were allowed to be parked in the hallways, because they were all over the place parked on the Sunshine last year.

And they say kids are a nuisance on a cruise. I HATE the scooters (or more precisely the riders) who don't manipulate them well, leave them everywhere, run into my shins countless times, block hallways and doorways, park them in the middle of the aisles on the Lido deck while they move to a booth or chair, park caty-whompus in the elevator so it eliminates any space for anyone else. Besides scooters can't be taken on tenders and most ports aren't designed to handle them.

For those in our party who have a difficult time walking we rent a nice compact fold up wheelchair that can easily be stored in out of the way places when not in use and fits easily into all cabins.

Personally I think scooters should be out-lawed.

I feel like post of the time it is the other people that run in front of people on scooters or aren't paying attention to them. Yes, some people do drive crazy but, that's the minority.

You're whole post sounded very ableist.

I feel like post of the time it is the other people that run in front of people on scooters or aren't paying attention to them. Yes, some people do drive crazy but, that's the minority.

You're whole post sounded very ableist.

Scooters have very little to do with being disabled and lots to do with marketing. They are not a necessity for those who have trouble walking or standing...there are many more items that do the job better.

When I go to the grocery store it is rarely a disabled person who chooses to use the scooter-cart. The person just walked from his/her car and plopped down on the scooter.

Scooters have very little to do with being disabled and lots to do with marketing. They are not a necessity for those who have trouble walking or standing...there are many more items that do the job better.

When I go to the grocery store it is rarely a disabled person who chooses to use the scooter-cart. The person just walked from his/her car and plopped down on the scooter.

It's all my DH can do to walk to the grocery from the car without sitting down to rest for 5-10 minutes to get his breath back - then there would be walking the long isles of the store, standing around in the checkout lines and finally getting back to the car again. Looks can be deceiving with many handicaps. If you looked at my DH in a shirt and jeans you'd think he looks like a healthy fellow.... but if you saw him in swim trunks you'd see the horrible scars he has on his legs and chest that are the root of his mobility issues. It's tough to think you have to give up all independence.

He'd give anything to be able to walk even 100 yards without needing to sit and rest.

Just another side of the issue.:(

Thank you... its just inside to inside. BUT its from deck 2 to deck 6 i think. gosh im sure disappointed.

There is something like 10 different categories of inside cabins. Moving from Deck 2 to Deck 6 most assuredly in moving up at least a couple of sub categories (such as moving from a 4B to a 4E). Has nothing to do with whether it is an HC cabin or not.

Oh, and it is against Carnival policy to leave a scooter outside of the cabin.

Can I just point out that for a full time wheelchair user, who cannot walk or weight bear AT ALL is completely dependant on a wheelchair. We have no option but to book an accessible cabin/stateroom. (And this is great, because we need the facilities it provides!)

Scooters or wheelchairs or prams/strollers/room service trays/housekeeping carts, make getting through a hallway impossible (usually) to pass for a person in a wheelchair. Likewise for someone else in a scooter, or a parent pushing a child in a buggy.

Accessible cabins are limited, this is unfortunate for us all, as we want to enjoy vacations as anyone else would! They are booked up fast, because they are in high demand. It's one of those things, unfortunately.

I speak on behalf of my partner who is paralysed and as such, we have to plan and plan and plan way ahead!

We come across this issue in hotels and public facilities wherever we go. Cruise lines are no different. If you need an accessible cabin, book one. Make life easy for yourselves and enjoy!

They aren't more expensive, they are just in high demand, so sadly for us all we will never see them at rock bottom prices!

But you can ensure a great, happy cruise and all the facilities of a wonderful holiday knowing that you can benefit from all the great amenities your cruise will offer you.

Happy sailing!

I should add.....I have no experience of the cruise line you are speaking of, I'm just adding my experience of living with a disabked partner and all the difficulties that can bring. I agree that we get annoyed when we have to book things (concerts, hotels, holidays) and the access is more complicated! :)

Can I just point out that for a full time wheelchair user, who cannot walk or weight bear AT ALL is completely dependant on a wheelchair. We have no option but to book an accessible cabin/stateroom. (And this is great, because we need the facilities it provides!)

Scooters or wheelchairs or prams/strollers/room service trays/housekeeping carts, make getting through a hallway impossible (usually) to pass for a person in a wheelchair. Likewise for someone else in a scooter, or a parent pushing a child in a buggy.

Accessible cabins are limited, this is unfortunate for us all, as we want to enjoy vacations as anyone else would! They are booked up fast, because they are in high demand. It's one of those things, unfortunately.

I speak on behalf of my partner who is paralysed and as such, we have to plan and plan and plan way ahead!

We come across this issue in hotels and public facilities wherever we go. Cruise lines are no different. If you need an accessible cabin, book one. Make life easy for yourselves and enjoy!

They aren't more expensive, they are just in high demand, so sadly for us all we will never see them at rock bottom prices!

But you can ensure a great, happy cruise and all the facilities of a wonderful holiday knowing that you can benefit from all the great amenities your cruise will offer you.

Happy sailing!

I should add.....I have no experience of the cruise line you are speaking of, I'm just adding my experience of living with a disabked partner and all the difficulties that can bring. I agree that we get annoyed when we have to book things (concerts, hotels, holidays) and the access is more complicated! :)

I was in a wheelchair for 3 months, due to leg and ankle surgery. So, I know the difficulties. At least for me it was temporary. I do remember though, when I would shop at my local grocery store, when I could walk a little way on a walker, it was frustrating that so few scooters were available. Or, had not been recharged. Or, even worse, were only being used by people that were so obese, that that was the only reason they had trouble walking!!! Let's hope things change for the better for people with this type of issue. I probably would not have been as sensitive as I am now if I had not gone through it myself. Oh, and let's not even go there, as to the supposed "handicapped" rest room stalls!!!:eek:

Or, even worse, were only being used by people that were so obese, that that was the only reason they had trouble walking!!!

Be careful! Not everyone who is handicapped and obese is handicapped because of their obesity. Sometimes, the obesity is a a result of their handicap, or the two are mutually exclusive. Your temporary disability doesn't give you the right to be offensive to others who are disabled full-time.

Unfortunately no scooters in the hallways are just another policy not being enforced. As Nickymmm pointed out, they are a hindrance to wheelchair users being able to get through the corridors and a nuisance to able-bodied folks passing through as well.

Although I have seen scooters in the hallway, if I needed one, I would book a handicapped cabin on the off chance that the rule would be enforced. What do you plan to do if you don't pay the extra to move to a handicapped cabin and the rule is enforced?

I wouldn't want to take a chance, but that's just me.

Be careful! Not everyone who is handicapped and obese is handicapped because of their obesity. Sometimes, the obesity is a a result of their handicap, or the two are mutually exclusive. Your temporary disability doesn't give you the right to be offensive to others who are disabled full-time.

Sorry, did not mean to offend anyone. I should have clarified my statement. I personally "know" the obese people I was talking about, so am aware they haven't any handicaps other than obesity.:o

And they say kids are a nuisance on a cruise. I HATE the scooters (or more precisely the riders) who don't manipulate them well, leave them everywhere, run into my shins countless times, block hallways and doorways, park them in the middle of the aisles on the Lido deck while they move to a booth or chair, park caty-whompus in the elevator so it eliminates any space for anyone else. Besides scooters can't be taken on tenders and most ports aren't designed to handle them.

For those in our party who have a difficult time walking we rent a nice compact fold up wheelchair that can easily be stored in out of the way places when not in use and fits easily into all cabins.

Yes, I wish I could walk the full length of a cruise ship without my scooter, but unfortunately 10 years after being diagnosed with MS, that task is almost impossible. By the way, I'm quite capable of operating my scooter. I don't bang into people, I don't demand entry to an elevator when others are waiting, I don't park my scooter in the middle of the Lido deck, and I've never left my scooter outside of my cabin. Unlike you, I have mobility issues as a result of MS. In addition, I am able to enter and exit my standard balcony cabin with my scooter, and don't yet require the need for a handicapped stateroom.

You claim that you HATE scooters and those who need to use them. Well, I just consider the source when people like you make such rude, ignorant remarks. I'm so happy that you are in a minority.

Have a fabulous day SWEET DUTCH GIRL.

I use a walker. My doctor wants me to stay as active as possible for as long as possible. I usually am able to contact my PVP to book a HC cabin right away. Luckily, my walker folds so I can get it into a standard cabin.

During the day, I leave my walker outside the cabin when I'm in there for short periods of time, but at night I definitely bring it in, no matter what cabin I have

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

Although I have seen scooters in the hallway, if I needed one, I would book a handicapped cabin on the off chance that the rule would be enforced. What do you plan to do if you don't pay the extra to move to a handicapped cabin and the rule is enforced?

I wouldn't want to take a chance, but that's just me.

Well for us, who was not able to book a handicap room, we rented scooters that folded down and we could place inside our cabin at night. You do what you have to so a loved one can enjoy something they want to do. We had 2 of them and placed each in the shower at night for storage. Unless you can book a room years in advance, good luck getting a handicap room :(

I personally HATE people like you, I was in tears reading your comment and feeling the sadness you have. I know some people can be ride / leave scooters like you describe, but for my husband who requires a scooter to enjoy something he loves (Cruising) it is the only way he can get around the ship or port. He never blocks a public space from someone. Usually it is the opposite and he is moves over for walking people to get by. Cant seem to get poeple to allow him in an elevator, so we usually have to pass about 10 up, until he can get on. Even in MDR he has waiter remove from our table while dinning and bring back when ready to leave. We make sure to only do things that he can enjoy on his own. It is not much fun for him to be pushed around all day. His scooter gives him freedom that you as a walking person can enjoy. Sorry you feel so bad for the handicap that cant walk. He was only 33 when he got MS - NOT something I HOPE you ever have to deal with. Just breaks my heart to see posts that put people down for things that they have no control over. Trying to enjoy a vacation with his young son is special to him. He cant enjoy a ride at a Theme Park, a fair, a beach, a water park, should I go on. How would you explain that he can't cruise either if they didn't allow scooters?

We know the rules of leaving scooters in the hallway. We don't and would not. It is very hard for him to get down halls with room service trays as well. Maybe they should outlaw those? SO please don't put everyone who rides a scooter in the same category. Maybe you should think about others and give space as it is not always their choice to be in a scooter. My husband at age of 47 would LOVE TO WALK more than 5 feet with out a mobility assisted device. Sorry to ramble, but this really touched the heart today.

Yes, I wish I could walk the full length of a cruise ship without my scooter, but unfortunately 10 years after being diagnosed with MS, that task is almost impossible. By the way, I'm quite capable of operating my scooter. I don't bang into people, I don't demand entry to an elevator when others are waiting, I don't park my scooter in the middle of the Lido deck, and I've never left my scooter outside of my cabin. Unlike you, I have mobility issues as a result of MS. In addition, I am able to enter and exit my standard balcony cabin with my scooter, and don't yet require the need for a handicapped stateroom.

You claim that you HATE scooters and those who need to use them. Well, I just consider the source when people like you make such rude, ignorant remarks. I'm so happy that you are in a minority.

Have a fabulous day SWEET DUTCH GIRL.

We can't agree with you more :) Happy Cruising and enjoy all your vacations to the fullest.

I personally HATE people like you, I was in tears reading your comment and feeling the sadness you have. I know some people can be ride / leave scooters like you describe, but for my husband who requires a scooter to enjoy something he loves (Cruising) it is the only way he can get around the ship or port. He never blocks a public space from someone. Usually it is the opposite and he is moves over for walking people to get by. Cant seem to get poeple to allow him in an elevator, so we usually have to pass about 10 up, until he can get on. Even in MDR he has waiter remove from our table while dinning and bring back when ready to leave. We make sure to only do things that he can enjoy on his own. It is not much fun for him to be pushed around all day. His scooter gives him freedom that you as a walking person can enjoy. Sorry you feel so bad for the handicap that cant walk. He was only 33 when he got MS - NOT something I HOPE you ever have to deal with. Just breaks my heart to see posts that put people down for things that they have no control over. Trying to enjoy a vacation with his young son is special to him. He cant enjoy a ride at a Theme Park, a fair, a beach, a water park, should I go on. How would you explain that he can't cruise either if they didn't allow scooters?

We know the rules of leaving scooters in the hallway. We don't and would not. It is very hard for him to get down halls with room service trays as well. Maybe they should outlaw those? SO please don't put everyone who rides a scooter in the same category. Maybe you should think about others and give space as it is not always their choice to be in a scooter. My husband at age of 47 would LOVE TO WALK more than 5 feet with out a mobility assisted device. Sorry to ramble, but this really touched the heart today.

You are not rambling, and I think that you fairly represented all of those who cruise responsibly with a scooter. DH is in the same boat (pun not intended), although his disability at age 53 is due to severe arthritis and a bulging disc. We always reserve a accessible or modified cabin. He is very considerate of others when on his scooter (I wish that I could say the same of the able-bodied who walked all over him at the lido buffet and cut in front of us repeatedly for elevators).

Wow, there are some harsh comments made here. People who make these comments are very ignorant and have no compassion towards people who have physical challenges. I have a sister who has cerebral palsy, who is wheelchair bound. It's not easy especially when they have to deal with inconsiderate small minded people. Walk a day in their shoes!

With that said, I do have a little bone to pick with some of the driving abilities of some. Please go with caution, some go way to fast, some can't maneuver. There's a lot of people everywhere.

We had an incident once re-boarding at a port. A lady went to fast up the ramp, lost control and ran my daughter over. Thank god, my daughter received only minor injuries. It just was very traumatic. Sorry that this may be considered a hi jack of this thread.

Happy cruising everyone, let's have some compassion!

Wow this thread sure took a left turn and went in a different direction!
Yes but very occasionally , that's a good thing . My MIL can walk but 100 yards, or less, as her absolute maximum . After that she must recuperate and regain her strength . She will not use a scooter or wheelchair because (honestly) she is afraid of what people who saw her walking a short distance would say . I wish she would do what is best for her and my FIL .

on the other hand

I have seen and experienced rude dangerous scooter drivers . I have also experience the wheelchair con which is used in airports and to get to the front of long lines . I have also had to walk sideways to avoid badly placed scooters on ship corridors . Thank you Boozebabe for letting me know that ".. you have to disengage the motor in back or you will ruin the motor if it is pushed." Good to know .;)

So I am conflicted . I don't doubt these devices are a godsend to many .

Edited by richstowe

What a disgusting human being you are. Karma is a bitch!