Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Feeling a bit like a fish out of water over here on the Princess board, but enjoyed your review of the Silhouette so followed you over here for this comparison. We are fairly loyal to X but have been thinking about Princess for a future cruise so learning a lot here. Still on the fence as to whether to "risk" it, but thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for answering my activity question I am loving your review. For our next cruise we are trying to decide between the royal princess and the celebrity silhouette. Unfortunately those are the only two options for the time frame we have available. Although we've always loved princess I don't like what I'm reading about the Royal ( 1 pool on a Caribbean cruise and no promenade deck to walk the calories off what were they thinking?) so i'll be using your review to help me decide whether to give celebrity a try.

Feeling a bit like a fish out of water over here on the Princess board, but enjoyed your review of the Silhouette so followed you over here for this comparison. We are fairly loyal to X but have been thinking about Princess for a future cruise so learning a lot here. Still on the fence as to whether to "risk" it, but thanks for sharing.
I felt the same way when I went over to the X Board to follow Norris's Silhouette review. But I quickly found that there were a lot of nice people over there. I hope you'll find the same here on the Princess Board. We've only been on one Celebrity cruise, on the sadly departed Meridian. Norris's review of the Silhouette has rekindled my interest in Celebrity. Hopefully it will do likewise to you with Princess.

Although we've always loved princess I don't like what I'm reading about the Royal ( 1 pool on a Caribbean cruise and no promenade deck to walk the calories off what were they thinking?) so i'll be using your review to help me decide whether to give celebrity a try.

There are two pools on the Royal Princess - the Retreat Pool (adults only) and the family pool. The Regal has a 3rd but it sounds more like an oversized hot tub. We missed the Promenade on our first (of 3) Royal cruise but used the walking/jogging complex on the upper deck for exercise. For us that one disappointment was outweighed by the beautiful ship and the multitude of dining venues.

As someone who just made the reverse leap, I can recommend the experience. We have been with Princess for many, many years and many, many sailings (as you can see below), and love the line, its staff, amenities, and food (for the most part). But, I'd wanted to try Celebrity, and we were extremely happy with our experience last week on the Silhouette.

The one possible negative about Celebrity for us, however, is that it was significantly more expensive for an equivalent sailing. And, though we absolutely loved all the alternative dining options, they too were much more expensive than those offered by Princess; likewise the beverages and other items available for purchase aboard ship. This did not deter us from booking a future Celebrity cruise while on board (we loved it that much), but it was a definite consideration.

I would propose, however, that this cost differential might actually prove an advantage for you if you should decide you'd like to give Princess a go.

Try it, you'll like it. What's the worst that could happen? ;)

Just thought that might give you a bit of food for thought. :D

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

If you've read this far you must be getting a better idea of whether Princess is a good fit for you-but there's a lot more to come.

The Princess people are the same people that populate the X board-people interested in good food, entertainment, beautiful ships and relaxation in comfortable surroundings without forking over an arm and a leg.

Norris

As someone who just made the reverse leap, I can recommend the experience. We have been with Princess for many, many years and many, many sailings (as you can see below), and love the line, its staff, amenities, and food (for the most part). But, I'd wanted to try Celebrity, and we were extremely happy with our experience last week on the Silhouette.

The one possible negative about Celebrity for us, however, is that it was significantly more expensive for an equivalent sailing. And, though we absolutely loved all the alternative dining options, they too were much more expensive than those offered by Princess; likewise the beverages and other items available for purchase aboard ship. This did not deter us from booking a future Celebrity cruise while on board (we loved it that much), but it was a definite consideration.

I would propose, however, that this cost differential might actually prove an advantage for you if you should decide you'd like to give Princess a go.

Try it, you'll like it. What's the worst that could happen? ;)

Just thought that might give you a bit of food for thought. :D

I am very glad that you guys enjoyed the Silhouette and made another booking and have come here to say so. With the Premium Package included the drinks are on X. Discounts are available for the specialty restaurants if they are not selling out. You can save with a Specialty Dining package too.

Tell me what you enjoyed most- did you like the lawn? I lived there.

Thanks for adding to this comparison.

Norris

Norris, you said not to miss the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. How much is it, and how would that work in Alaska? Thank you.

Mel

This is the one most definite dinner to do when you sail on a Princess ship!

We did it on the Ruby in 2012, and the wifester still says it was her most memorable meal on any cruise we have done.

Sorry my pic posting skills are not like our Host :o

EW

1568184316_baldin.jpg.1394f60882cb616673c1e21798bdcc21.jpg

1988040456_baldin1.jpg.7e4ce4e8a542b70250771188e7952686.jpg

509855770_baldin2.jpg.4f6e42d5d531954bd08766ceba620328.jpg

On the Silhouette there were more bars than Princess, more shops and more specialty restaurants. In other words many more venues for customers to spend money in/enjoy. Smaller rooms but more of them. As a firm believer in capitalism and cruise lines turning a profit I salute the designers of the S Class ships.

Here, off the top of my head are the pay restaurants on X;

Murano $50 pp

Tuscan Grille $45

Qsine $45?

Lawn Club Grille $45

The Porch $40?

Bistro on 5 $10

I'll get the ones I didn't eat at out of the way first.

The Porch-beautiful location, little used, seafood specialties, raw bar.

24425612370_140854bbe6_b.jpg

Qsine-Quirky presentation, foods from all over da Woild from Sliders to sushi, a food coma waiting to happen

24169337144_9abbec1df5_b.jpg

We will 100% dine in Qsine on our next sailing!. So besides our comp Suites dining rooms of Luminae (suites only) and Blu (Suites and Aqua class) we dined at 4 specialties one of which (Murano) was complimentary to us.

We had dinner on our first night (we paid for it) at Bistro on 5 which is a casual cafe.

24501986670_279367c702_b.jpg

This was the best cream of chicken soup ( I wasn't feeling well) to ever pass my lips.

24652486016_b53dfba94d_b.jpg

Carol's tuna Nicoise open faced sandwich

24311023349_f4d3bcd4f2_b.jpg

A bright light shone from above and heavenly angels sang when our freshly made Nutella,banana and chocolate crepe descended from on high to bless our tummies with deliciousness.

24585176861_f3ecdd7e35_b.jpg

Had I not been unwell we would have enjoyed more of this fine food.

Next up Tuscan Grille

This is the one most definite dinner to do when you sail on a Princess ship!

We did it on the Ruby in 2012, and the wifester still says it was her most memorable meal on any cruise we have done.

Sorry my pic posting skills are not like our Host :o

EW

Wallie, I'll be posting my own pics later but these certainly give the gist and I agree with the wifester. It's the best way to ever spend $100.

Cheers!

Norris

Wallie, I'll be posting my own pics later but these certainly give the gist and I agree with the wifester. It's the best way to ever spend $100.

Cheers!

Norris

It was simply amazing that they could bring, pre, during, and after dinner drinks along with 5 courses that were cooked to absolute perfection. And that over the top desert creation!

About our balcony: we like one of the 8 on either side on Emerald deck almost aft ;) because they are completely covered, unlike the rest with the lookie down from above mid ship. There was room for our table for 4 very comfortably.

EW

With it's dramatic entrance and location over the stern with a wake view, Tuscan Grille, like Sabatini's, promises an evening of Italian dining.

24695108676_d6e0b6fc16_b.jpg

Like Sabatini's, Giuseppe " he no inna da kitchen"- the food misses that authentic Italian flair but like Sabatini's you'll enjoy a good, if not memorable meal.

24205605164_5d53c68efc_b.jpg

Short rib ravioli

24538263620_d15f74b1d8_b.jpg

Caesar salad with of course anchovies

24538263620_d15f74b1d8_b.jpg

Branzino

24715926622_69b32dc267_b.jpg

and an Amazing dessert-Toffee panacotta with vanilla gelato in waffle cone, carmelized strawberry and caramel flan. Dessert scrumptious.

24740319061_f3868d5553_b.jpg

Next -Lawn Club Grill

I'm following along on your amazing thread. My wife has been talking about wanting to try Celebrity for a long time. I'm still on the fence about it, but I'm giving it more thought after going through your review.

I'm looking forward to your next installment! :D

It's sits between the funnels, resting on the lawn. It has glass windbreaks with gaps to let the warm Caribbean night air in. It has overhead cameras and monitors to let you see the meats sizzling on the grill and most of all it has a loose team who like to joke and have fun-towards the end of the service the manager, Sacha, would pop some Latin music on and Salsa Dance while various staff clapped along or encouraged him. That's the sort of stuff I like-warm night air, a belly full of good food and beer and the staff feeling relaxed enough with the passengers they have been charming all night, to loosen up and unwind.

A lawn concert was happening when we took our seats leaving San Juan PR

24353650809_27634510aa_b.jpg

A passenger was choosing toppings to make her own flatbread (pizza) when we entered. A staffer showed her how to toss the dough. Her husband later took care of cooking their steaks-they were having fun in this one of a kind ship restaurant.

24721330615_f8d8c934cf_b.jpg

We were served by a ball of energy called Valeriano who was the best ambassador for X all week. 14 years with X and still enthusiastic. Funny guy who loved to banter and encourage us to eat more and more yummy grilled food.

24721335245_024aea0f87_b.jpg

24627833791_ec4585b44e_b.jpg

Seafood, steak and veggie skewers plus a succulent lamb chop

24873169866_002d8d3f7b_b.jpg

There's no limit to how much steak or how many skewers you order.

Putu the pizza cook gave me a pizza-tossing demo (on video in S review)

24271321704_8c8e780874_b.jpg

We ate at the LCG twice, and were offered 50% off for a 3rd and booked the only other ship that has it-Reflection for our next cruise on X. It's a unique dining experience. Worth the $45 pp.

Next Murano

I'm following along on your amazing thread. My wife has been talking about wanting to try Celebrity for a long time. I'm still on the fence about it, but I'm giving it more thought after going through your review.

I'm looking forward to your next installment! :D

Jim, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliment!

Remember ....Happy wife= Happy Life.

Be happy.

Norris

Murano is the ship's French Restaurant and is the best restaurant experience I have had at sea so far. Best food, best service, best ambiance. There, I said it.

I was attracted to it when I found out on CC that they prepare some dishes table side and that isn't something you see everyday. I knew I wanted Lobster flambed in cognac months before boarding.

That the waiters Walter and Roxanna were happy to banter with me was the icing on the cake.

The food-refined and flavorful. The atmosphere romantic and so much so that a man proposed to his girlfriend and brought forth a dazzling ring (maybe from Diamonds International, although we hadn't hit port yet).

[YOUTUBE]--THv8qtKP0[/YOUTUBE]

24063074264_8d208a52c3_b.jpg

An Amuse Bouche of cold celery soup with hidden bacon

24064413213_384f99a7d6_b.jpg

This soup defined the flavor of celery and when a piece of bacon came out on the spoon swimming in an essence-of-celery bath it was a fiesta in the mouth.

I was in a Lobster State of Mind and so had lobster bisque.

24573481922_4a252db1ae_b.jpg

Chewy, crusty bread

24597737031_a940ca137e_b.jpg

Carol's smoked salmon app with peeky toe crab, avocado, salmon roe caviar creme fraische parfait.

24665049936_d2444b435a_b.jpg

More....

Ahh, I've tuned in just in time for the food ****. That smoked salmon app looks fantastic (salmon roe . . . mmmmmmm).

I find it intriguing that the Tuscan Grille's Caesar salad looks so much like the Short Rib Ravioli. Is that, perchance, an example of molecular gastronomy?

24573485492_57729691ef_b.jpg

My lobster

24064427673_3bf1920319_b.jpg

Carol's Dover Sole Véronique

24665056746_de6e6ebc19_b.jpg

Sweet treats arrived and another order was wrapped for us to take away

24063097354_ac00b4fb9e_b.jpg

And finally an amazing Six Stars dessert (In random order) Dark chocolate mousse, rose water vanilla creme brûlée, Apple walnut cake mousse, red wine with strawberries, Mint gelato and White chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis.

24665059566_5ef103f723_b.jpg

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(FOR THE NUMBER, THE VARIETY, THE FOOD AND THE SERVICE)

Ahh, I've tuned in just in time for the food ****. That smoked salmon app looks fantastic (salmon roe . . . mmmmmmm).

I find it intriguing that the Tuscan Grille's Caesar salad looks so much like the Short Rib Ravioli. Is that, perchance, an example of molecular gastronomy?

I'm sorry madam, there was a mix-up in the kitchen. Here is your Caesar salad with anchovies, as requested.

24205608654_fd619883ba_b.jpg

Chef Norris

This review has revived me saving for an escape and so much fun and now I have even more to read from your list.......thank you thank you..may put a Muffin down to down some home made Apple Pie Liqour I got for Christmas..it is wow. Small tiny glasses only but yum.

Comparable to fancy Pear types I have had..onward...lol...thank you...Sarah

Bob, great to see you here!

I have no way of knowing who is reading until they step out of the shadows to say something, so thank you.

Norris- and for those wondering who Bob is talking about....

RYA9Ih7VNBM

Sold!! I just want to roam around and have nice music.

And even a special in the Main...that is wonderful...ok had to interrupt.

Murano was unbelievable, something we haven't experienced anywhere else on land or on sea, the absolute highlight of our cruise.

Our only complaint about Celebrity - we were on the Eclipse - was the lack of a cozy bar. The bars all had walkways thru them. On our cruise there was a really good jazz bar and they were in the area just outside Murano. It was impossible to totally enjoy their performances as people were constantly walking thru the area to get to the Tuscan Grill, Blu and Qsine. If you lucked out and got the "good seats" which were closer to the performers with the walkway behind, you got hit by the bright light of the crew area whenever one of the bartenders went to get something. For a comparison, The Wheelhouse is our go-to bar on Princess with Crooners being a close second.

Norris, I am totally enjoying your review. But I was wondering if you could change the muffins...I'd love a good croissant this morning. ;)

Hope we will see more pics of the ultimate balcony experience just the table for four set up looked fantastic already.

Sea ya

Eric

Eric, I will bombard you with pics and video!! Probably today but I have to drive to Michigan before a big snowstorm hits Chicago and Michigan so I'll be off the air for a couple of hours. Later!

Norris