Is business class worth it and how early to do you book

New2cruise1483

We've gotten to the point where now we book business class on long haul flights. Value is very personal, but for DW and I who can thankfully afford it... Yes. I complained about the price of the tickets right up until I got to the airport and since then I felt it was worth every dollar. But that price tag is intimidating; our business class tickets to a cruise in November cost more than the the 20 night cruise itself (an MSC balcony) per person! But it was to the middle east, 24 hours out and 28 hours home; I couldn't have survived that in economy. The lounges in big cities were lovely with food and drink and that helps layovers considerably.

That's very true, it would just be awkward for us to not sit next to each other lol. I usually bring something along to keep us entertained for the duration of our flight

DW and I long ago stopped booking side-by-side in economy. Once in a while we get the middle free, but planes fly full these days. Everyone always offers to swap with me, but no thanks, I would rather be comfortable for the few hours! We each have our electronic devices to occupy ourselves.

We've gotten to the point where now we book business class on long haul flights. Value is very personal, but for DW and I who can thankfully afford it... Yes. I complained about the price of the tickets right up until I got to the airport and since then I felt it was worth every dollar. But that price tag is intimidating; our business class tickets to a cruise in November cost more than the the 20 night cruise itself (an MSC balcony) per person! But it was to the middle east, 24 hours out and 28 hours home; I couldn't have survived that in economy. The lounges in big cities were lovely with food and drink and that helps layovers considerably.

Off-topic for the majority of viewers, but for those who put together travel and cruise plans that extend over a number of months, it might be useful to know about round-the-world tickets or similar products. Used the right way they can help leverage a good deal of premium-cabin travel at surprisingly low prices (measured on a per-flight basis.) They're priced very differently depending on where you start and end, but they're good for a year, are surprisingly flexible, and are sold by the airlines themselves rather than some third party that might induce concern.

Here's a short "primer" I wrote for TA a couple of years ago. In US$ terms most fares are cheaper now than when I wrote it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7409073-About_round_the_world_RTW_tickets-Air_Travel.html

You guys in the US have so much options to gain miles... low brainer to fly first.

I'm talking international F, means flat bed, or suite... national F is more prem eco than F...:)

We are lucky in that respect. I earn miles on just about everything. Airline credit card, all my hotel (except Hilton brand) programs i take airline miles, plus I use the shopping and dining programs to earn more miles. :D

Oh, I know business and First class are just a bit different. But I adore first class. I would book it whenever the price is right. Lunch on long flights, blankets, pillows, coffee out of a china mug, large seats, personal service, more room to spread out. I would always do it if I could afford it!

Well I just went for it and booked our first business class flights :). Yay no being stuck in the middle seat for me!

That is fantastic! I say anytime one feels like they can spend the extra money it is well worth flying first or business. It's so nice being on the plane in great seats being served a drink while the plane is still boarding passengers.

Since this thread is on Business class travel, I shall make a shameless plug for my national carrier - try flying Singapore Airlines!

Here is the A380 Business Class experience, flying from Singapore to London.

[YOUTUBE]r9ocU6H2bWc[/YOUTUBE]

Here is Business class on a retrofitted Boeing 777, flying from London to Singapore.

[YOUTUBE]UCSs8iQ3jOE[/YOUTUBE]

Will I fly Business class if I can afford it? Long-haul, definitely yes.

This is a video of Air Canada business class, from LHR to Ottawa. It was an older plane but I enjoyed the experience. Beats economy any time.

[YOUTUBE]zEOkHx0SnqU[/YOUTUBE]

Well I just went for it and booked our first business class flights :). Yay no being stuck in the middle seat for me!

I just want to point out that there are planes with a 2 across configuration in economy (do not know if there are any on your flight). Also, my husband and I often book aisle seats across from one another to avoid middle seats and we also both prefer aisle.

We fly business or 1st most of the times, and business or normally the same type of seats and service as 1st, my 6' 4" frame does not fit in coach, also free checked bags, free drinks, last business we went we had seats that reclined like a bed, worth every penny

Last year, for our trip to Italy from the USA, we booked Alitalia Premium Economy. We had done that the previous year, and the seats were indeed much nicer, for a modest upcharge.

However, Alitalia changed the aircraft in both directions, and we somehow found ourselves upgraded at no extra cost to their flatbed Business class.

Oh how we got spoiled!

We joked then, and still do, that it was a "plot" to show us how much better it was... and the plot worked (unfortunately for our wallets).

We are trying to arrange upgrades using miles/points for our trip to France and Italy this spring.

And for any truly long flight (noticeably longer than across the USA from coast to coast), we now know that it *will* be in a flat or angled/flat bed seat.

It was a completely different experience, to be able to stretch out and really sleep.

And that was after the fine dining/restaurant style dinner service, where everything was served from platters, at our seats. and we could get more of anything that really pleased our taste buds.

Yes, it was a plot :D

Yes it's a plot, delta upgraded us for a cheap rate to first last vacation. I am hooked. I will book it anytime I can. I just called today to price out an upgrade to first for our next vacation. I can't help myself. Free drinks, lunch, pillows, blankets, headphones, free on demand entertainment, larger seats, priority boarding and luggage. Yep hooked. Thanks Delta!

Yes it's a plot, delta upgraded us for a cheap rate to first last vacation. I am hooked. I will book it anytime I can. I just called today to price out an upgrade to first for our next vacation. I can't help myself. Free drinks, lunch, pillows, blankets, headphones, free on demand entertainment, larger seats, priority boarding and luggage. Yep hooked. Thanks Delta!

We've just booked the outbound for our (land) trip in May/June, and we wanted to start using some of the many miles/points we've been saving.

I had trouble finding good flights, and *good* business class seats, meaning flatbed, not angled, at least for the outbound overnight flight, given the points programs we had.

We are flying into a small town airport in France, and returning from a mid-sized town in Italy.

We also wanted to avoid adding an extra connection in either direction, or to need to take a train to a larger city (where we still couldn't get a non-stop home anyway).

So I contacted a service that figures this out, to see what they could find for us.

(No charge unless you accept the flights they suggest, so what was there to lose?)

Well... I've got a lot to learn, but they figured out that what would work best was to use our Amex points, transfer to one airline, and then book on their partner airline. I hadn't seen that 3-way combo.

And they made recommendations about the seating type comparisons of the three best options, all using different combos.

I'll figure this out eventually, but for now, if we can't easily find what we want, we'll turn to them again.

I admit that I was a bit skeptical (maybe "a lot" skeptical - but we got the name from someone we trusted), especially when it came time (and it was all quite fast) to start transferring points (irrevocable!) and then giving them access to one of our accounts so they could get the final tickets.

Now for the return...

I too have used a booking service! Cranky Concierge, they found me exactly what I wanted in BC seats using miles, even told me how to top my Acct off for the extra miles I was missing. I had to give up one of my 3 days in Amsterdam to make it all work. But it was great and we arrived Pampered and Rested!

We've just booked the outbound for our (land) trip in May/June, and we wanted to start using some of the many miles/points we've been saving.

I had trouble finding good flights, and *good* business class seats, meaning flatbed, not angled, at least for the outbound overnight flight, given the points programs we had.

We are flying into a small town airport in France, and returning from a mid-sized town in Italy.

We also wanted to avoid adding an extra connection in either direction, or to need to take a train to a larger city (where we still couldn't get a non-stop home anyway).

So I contacted a service that figures this out, to see what they could find for us.

(No charge unless you accept the flights they suggest, so what was there to lose?)

Well... I've got a lot to learn, but they figured out that what would work best was to use our Amex points, transfer to one airline, and then book on their partner airline. I hadn't seen that 3-way combo.

And they made recommendations about the seating type comparisons of the three best options, all using different combos.

I'll figure this out eventually, but for now, if we can't easily find what we want, we'll turn to them again.

I admit that I was a bit skeptical (maybe "a lot" skeptical - but we got the name from someone we trusted), especially when it came time (and it was all quite fast) to start transferring points (irrevocable!) and then giving them access to one of our accounts so they could get the final tickets.

Now for the return...

Mind sharing the name of the service ;)

Mind sharing the name of the service ;)

It's

pointspros.com

There are several services, and it's linked to a freebie airline newsletter/reviews/etc., which is much more general and also interesting.

I think the learning curve (for us) might be pretty fast.

On the other hand, if they can save us a few hours of aggravation or worse (transferring points and then *not* getting the seats or such)...

I'm sure we'll use them now anytime we don't have something straightforward.

That was this case, given our outbound destination and return departure preferences were not major airports.

AND... I hadn't (yet!) learned about the various combos (such as transferring points, and then moving on to a partner of the airline we just transferred the points to, etc.).

This was the first time we did anything other than use points for a non-stop "major city to major city".

At this point in our lives, time is our most precious asset :)

Anyway, it was "just as advertised", but actually faster than we expected once we had finalized our own decisions.

Once we selected among the choices suggested, it was a matter of minutes until we had received emails of the tickets from the airline.

It's

pointspros.com

There are several services, and it's linked to a freebie airline newsletter/reviews/etc., which is much more general and also interesting.

On the other hand, if they can save us a few hours of aggravation or worse (transferring points and then *not* getting the seats or such)...

That was this case, given our outbound destination and return departure preferences were not major airports.

AND... I hadn't (yet!) learned about the various combos (such as transferring points, and then moving on to a partner of the airline we just transferred the points to, etc.).

This was the first time we did anything other than use points for a non-stop "major city to major city".

Anyway, it was "just as advertised", but actually faster than we expected once we had finalized our own decisions.

Once we selected among the choices suggested, it was a matter of minutes until we had received emails of the tickets from the airline.

Very helpful...as always...thanks so much.

It's

pointspros.com

Just wanted to update our experience.

We now have the return tickets issued.

They suggested that we give BA first - not business - class a try :)

It wasn't many more points, and we squeezed in before the AA points get devalued later this month.

Again, it got tricky because of our choice of different smaller airports for one leg each direction, and we also prefer not to use really small planes or 2nd tier airlines if avoidable.

And we didn't want extremely long layovers.

And... we wanted to try two different international airlines, so we could start to learn which we prefer.

And there aren't many of these BA first class seats, and even fewer are arranged as "pairs". That might be good for singleton business travelers, but not so good for couples.

We really preferred not to be at opposite windows, with another couple between us in a "center twosome".

And then at the last minute, we needed to try to change the date.

It was all handled politely and efficiently, even if they were muttering behind the scenes about "high maintenance" :eek:

And they tried to find routing that minimized/avoided some of the "extra fees". That was nice.

They also pointed out which itineraries had transfers that were in airports where we'd have access to nice club lounges, etc.

Hopefully, we'll be learning to do this on our own after not too long, but it's nice to know that for tricky itineraries, they'll be there to help.

For premium travel by points worth thousands and thousands (if actual dollars were used), their fee isn't bad.

And we would *not* have realized the outbound itinerary was possible, given the two "banks" of point we have don't work with that airline.

Come visit Asia, come visit Singapore!

I have been to your city/state....though it was almost 23 years ago to the month. :eek: and i did arrive on a large grey US Naval vessel. :p I remember it being one of the cleanest and safest cities I have ever been to. Going back is hopefully in the near future plans. :D

I have been to your city/state....though it was almost 23 years ago to the month. :eek: and i did arrive on a large grey US Naval vessel. :p I remember it being one of the cleanest and safest cities I have ever been to. Going back is hopefully in the near future plans. :D

Singapore is a "fine" city ;)....We loved our pre-cruise there. Couldn't believe how clean and safe it was...Hope to also enjoy it again.

23 years ago is too long. You need to come back!!