Taster cruises

Tonynroz

I think a lot depends on what it's going to cost to get to the ship and back hom again. For us, anything shorter than a week or 10 days wouldn't be worth it because we have to travel a ways to get to any cruise port.

I see you're in the UK. If you live in Southampton and would be leaving from there it might be worth it.

Personally, we do not like them. They are not indicative of what a longer cruise is like and everything is such a rush rush rush. It was not at all enjoyble for us even though we got a heckuva deal for less than a hotel room might have cost. We will never do a one or two night sampler again, but that's just us. :o

A two-nighter will of course show you what the ship has to offer.

But whereas you're calling it a "taster cruise", some will treat it it as a "booze cruise". ;)

Probably a good few stag & hen groups, for instance.

A very different atmosphere and passenger-mix to a proper 14 night cruise, and it may give you a false impression of a "cruise", especially if you're not the party-type

Bear this in mind if you decide to take that taster cruise.

JB :)

Have a 2 week cruise booked for later in the year , which would be our 1st ever cruise so thinking of a 2 night taster cruise in May on the same ship. Are they worth booking?

I would want a minimum of 3 days. A two night cruise you're unpacking the first night and packing the second night.

It's not a "taste" at all...I don't even thing 3 nighters qualify as a "cruise experience"! Unless you live within easy driving distance of your port...it's not worth the effort! Just take the cruise you've booked. It's only a vacation, after all! ANY vacation is good! No worries!

Edited by cb at sea

I've just come back from a 4 night P&O cruise, which the captain referred to as a 'taster' cruise. We're regular cruisers who just wanted a break but I would say that for any newcomers it did give a fair idea of what cruising is like, as it contained a sea day and a formal night. This cruise was Monday to Friday. When the ship got back to Southampton, it was off back to Zeebrugge on a 2 night weekend cruise. Now, no matter what P&O like to call it, a 2 night weekend cruise is effectively a booze cruise. Unless you want to spend your time partying, it is best avoided. It will not give you a realistic idea of what your 2 week cruise will be like and is more likely to put you off cruising.

I've just come back from a 4 night P&O cruise, which the captain referred to as a 'taster' cruise.... as it contained a sea day and a formal night....

Yeah, see I totally disagree (with the captain). There are always 4 and 5 night cruises. I consider them to be, well, cruises! LOL! A sampler/taster is really only one or two nights. You had a sea day and a formal night - samplers do not have that.

We had a Princess sampler cruise a few years back and it was horrendous - never again. Check in and boarding took HOURS - precious hours that we wanted to be on the ship before sail away. The staff and crew seemed a bit disinterested, and I know for a fact that the food in the buffet was only a mere sampling of what they would normally put out because we have done longer cruises. It was just so disappointing. Oh well. :(

We tend to like 10-14 day cruises and are booked for a 19 day cruise later this year, but have taken a few 7 day cruises.

That said, we also have taken a few "short break" cruises of 3 or 4 days out of LA on cruise lines we haven't sailed before just for fun and really enjoy them.

For first timers, the best part of a short cruise is that it provides an opportunity to learn a lot of the details of cruising (meal service, shows, etc.) and to get a good understanding of what and how to pack. It also acquaints a first timer with embarkation and disembarkation processes, tipping standards, and other unique aspects of cruising.

We tend to like 10-14 day cruises and are booked for a 19 day cruise later this year, but have taken a few 7 day cruises.

That said, we also have taken a few "short break" cruises of 3 or 4 days out of LA on cruise lines we haven't sailed before just for fun and really enjoy them.

For first timers, the best part of a short cruise is that it provides an opportunity to learn a lot of the details of cruising (meal service, shows, etc.) and to get a good understanding of what and how to pack. It also acquaints a first timer with embarkation and disembarkation processes, tipping standards, and other unique aspects of cruising.

The big plus in my opinion is it last the "Old Hands" try a new ship, they generally know which bits are just because it's a sampler and which reflect the true cruise experience.

Thanks for all the advice. The taster cruise is Southampton to Le Harve on celebrity Eclipse so only a quick hop across the channel like a ferry crossing but in a nicer boat. Didn't think of it as a booze cruise, I have been on a few cross channel booze cruises and know what they are like. On balance, we will wait to experience our first cruise. Thanks again for your help.