Live from Azamara Journey: Hits and Misses from its Refurb

LauraS

Just because it's called "Cruise Critic" doesn't mean you have to criticise all the time, we can only speak as we find, I am sure there are passengers on every cruise who encounter problems we do not. If we do have a problem we always report it onboard usually in our experience it's dealt with to our satisfaction, that's an area where cruise lines usually excel. On the occasions where in our opinion the ship or cruise line have refuse to take a reported problem seriously we simply don't cruise with them again that's our prerogative.

No holiday can be 100% all the time, but if you go through life focusing on the negatives you are going to miss some great positive experiences.

Our glasses are definitely half full [emoji485][emoji485]

The a post is the most sensible one I have seen on this topic .

Sent from my iPa F mobile Apple

Edited by chromered7

We are having an honest debate. You called the refit a"fiasco" having not experienced the aftermath. Those who were did disagreed strongly. We were on the second and third cruises after the refit, and both were excellent. Familygoboston was on the second and had a great time. Who do you think wins this "debate?" Those who were there? Or you who were not?

Let's get our feet down.

The refurbish in Bahamas took it's tolls on everyone. Gale force winds hindered the contractors to fulfill their obligations, hence deliveries were late and couldn't be on time. I believe there is still a container with furniture waiting in Miami and being boardered next week. The extension in Singapore is probably sensible , but not necessarily as a learned lesson from being slashed with winds over the gale force for a week in Bahamas. Face it. If you want containers brought on board you need winds below 25 kts. In Bahamas they had terrible weather and a lot of the delay was due to problems with logistics, ie. weather.

The person using the word " Fiasco" has some explanation to do,

Please use the terms appropriate. Then use your own term and based on the historical facts.- make a sensible solution for your company and the best of your customers,- you will find that Azamara just did that.

The refit will be fantastic, but the last container has not yet been delivered...

Edited by oddjob16

Great post Odd.

If only a small handful of those onboard cruise 1 are unhappy that is a success given the unbelievable challenges the cruiseline went through. In the handful will be those who are never ever happy. They are on every cruise not just the post dry dock cruise.

And the only opinion that matters is that of those who were able to do primary research aka in the words of Max Boyce "I was there"

Secondary research basing your views only on what you have learned from others is flawed whatever field you are in, a ships dry dock is no exception.

Let's now stop talking about this

Well what it is to be popular. I seem to have stirred a hornets nest with my opinions. However one of the definitions of the word fiasco is blunder and even some of the clique on this forum would agree there were blunders. To fair you cannot do much about the weather affecting your plans. So we will agree to disagree . I wonder where I put my rose tinted spectacles?

Happy sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well what it is to be popular. I seem to have stirred a hornets nest with my opinions. However one of the definitions of the word fiasco is blunder and even some of the clique on this forum would agree there were blunders. To fair you cannot do much about the weather affecting your plans. So we will agree to disagree . I wonder where I put my rose tinted spectacles?

Happy sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ahh, I believe there is a problem in communication.

I think "blunder" is a very mild and unusual definition for "fiasco".

Generally, in common usage it is seen to represent a "complete" or "utter" failure which, I think, we can all agree did not happen.

I have been told that "fiasco", a rather delightful word, is Italian for a inappropriately manufactured wine jug that would not remain upright. Perhaps those more familiar with the language will disagree.

And I will note that the ship remains "upright", although CD Tony Markey (sp?) informed me that if they made the desired changes to the theater it would not have done so :).

Edited by nordski

Generally, in common usage it is seen to represent a "complete" or "utter" failure which, I think, we can all agree did not happen.

I have been told that "fiasco", a rather delightful word, is Italian for a inappropriately manufactured wine jug that would not remain upright. Perhaps those more familiar with the language will disagree.

And I will note that the ship remains "upright", although CD Tony Markey (sp?) informed me that if they made the desired changes to the theater it would not have done so :).

Thanks for the very useful information of the derivation. Yes all the definitions I see talk about complete or humiliating failure. To me that would have involved a cruise cancellation or folks boarding and finding they had to assemble their own furniture - a task Tony has I know done in the past which is why I check my balcony chair carefully each cruise ;)

To Chromered, I do not possess rose tinted glasses - although I like Azamara a lot, a review of my previous posts will highlight I will give very honest feedback on what worked and what did not. I will agree with criticism on these boards wherever it is warranted and based on reliable evidence and expressed appropriately.

And whilst Azamara is a brand where a lot of lasting friendships are made onboard and continues after on these boards amongst other ways this does not constitute a clique.

Mmm, an inappropriately manufactured wine jug that would not remain upright. Now that would indeed be a fiasco :D:D:D

And as someone who will be holidaying in Italy in a few weeks, the fewer fiascos we come across the better!

Sorry everyone for going off topic but couldn't resist.

Reminds me of my dear long departed granny. As her age related illness took its hold she often struggled to find the right words using a similar word instead. We were discussing the wedding of a neighbours daughter and she asked my dad "remind me son, what's Joan's fiasco called "

As that marriage did not last very long, maybe Gran was correct. He was always referred to as fiasco for years to come every time we saw him in town.

(Sorry to be OT Andy)

Edited by uktog

Good luck with those staterooms keeping looking nice and tidy with hooks and duct tape all over the place. I'd love to see some of the cabins wth stuff hanging from the ceiling and walls. Like walking into a Chinese laundry! :eek: I prefer to keep the place smart and tidy and uncluttered, but each to their own.

Phil

This is so funny! I am so laughing as I read this thread.