Live from Azamara Journey: Hits and Misses from its Refurb

LauraS

I have never posted anything in here before but felt I should say something now about what I am reading in the reviews.

There is a new review from someone who was on the second cruise after the refurbishment. This review is not good and it addresses some of the things I've read on these threads, i.e., showers not having a line to hang wet bathing suits, hooks no place to be seen in the cabin, etc.

One thing that I have been corresponding with the LCV hostesses on is the shower line. I have read in here that one person said they did have one in an accessible cabin on the deck we are staying on next month (deck 6) but have been told no cabins have them.

Also I have read that some folks are bringing magnetic hooks to put in the cabin but this latest review states that the walls are wallpaper so those will not work for those of you bringing them. I have also seen where people are bringing a clothes line which has suction cups on either end for the shower. I have asked what the shower walls are made of because if it is not tile or something metal those will not work. They also said they had an old desk, old closets but the new wallpaper, beds and bathroom.

The latest review also states that the food was not good and not well presented, the crew was not helpful, to include guest relations?

What is going on here? We have sailed Azamara in the past, the last cruise being on the Quest in 2014.

Since we are going next month I am stating to be a little less excited since we are on a back to back on this ship.

I have written to Nicole now (LCV Ambassador) and asked why it would be so difficult to put a couple of hooks in or something in the shower. They do not want people to hang clothes on the balconies so my question woujld be where should we hang wet bathing suits? We are going the the Caribbean!

I have suggested that they (LCV folks) go in and read the latest review on Azamara Journey (in the review section) and let me know what they think.

Edited by potterp

Magnetic hooks do work, even with wallpaper. This is because under the wallpaper the cabin walls are metal. I have always used them in the cabin, even on the wall covering.

I don't think anyone has said the food was not good. I was one of those who said it lacked 'wow' on our last cruise on the Quest. The new menus seem to address this. All the reviews I have read say the food is good and always beautifully presented - certainly our experience in Nov/Dec 2015. Also I have not read anywhere that the crew were unhelpful. In my experience the friendliness and helpfulness of everyone and their willingness to go the extra mile is Azamara's USP. Even people who regularly cruise Regent, Seabourne etc seem to say that Azamara's crew are nicer, more helpful etc.

Most people have said how pleased they have been with all the new decor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. That is good news about the magnetic hooks.

I also realize that food is always subjective but I have never read anything on Azamara before about the service not being stellar and the food not even being well presented.

I feel better hearing some good things from recent cruisers!

I have read that review about the second cruise after drydock and I think it picks up on a few petty things and does not look at the bigger picture. You might want to have a look at my brief review which is now further down this page for a different perspective.

Yes, there was some work going on after the refit but in no way did it impinge on our enjoyment of the cruise. It was minor. Yes, we were awoken one morning with an emergency announcement, but as the captain explained later, someone had pressed the wrong button. Did it spoil the cruise? No.

Trivia is meant to be fun. The prizes are nothing much, but so what? The presenters on trivia were (shock and horror!) not native English speakers but they were perfectly understandable and also lively and fun.

The food, on the whole, was very good to excellent. I cannot see what the problem with the chairs in Cabaret and Discoveries Restaurant could possible be.

Don't be put off by that review. It was very unbalanced. Ignore it unless you are hung up on hooks (pun very much intended!)

My impression -- for all cruise lines -- is that the Reviews section of Cruise Critic attracts a lot of newbies who haven't done their research here on the boards before cruising, and whose standards are difficult to suss out because we don't know what they liked and disliked in the past. I put much more credence in reviews that are posted here, especially when I already recognize the poster [of course that cuts both ways, but I feel better able to judge whether I would have reacted the same way they did]. That's why I always suggest to regular posters that they create a review thread here as well as posting a review over there.

I was on the 2d sailing. The staff couldn't have been nicer and very accommodating. I ate in every venue, including The Patio for lunch and dinner. All of it was very good as well as the presentation. The biggest surprise was The Patio. Different menu and affect for dinner. New items on all the menus with the smallest changes to Prime/Aqua. You are in for a great treat :). As far as hooks, bring your magnets. They work just fine through the wallpaper. For a clothing line alternative, I had four large clip magnets. I clipped my suit up. Not ideal but worked pretty good. Have a great vacation!

I was on the 2d sailing. The staff couldn't have been nicer and very accommodating. I ate in every venue, including The Patio for lunch and dinner. All of it was very good as well as the presentation. The biggest surprise was The Patio. Different menu and affect for dinner. New items on all the menus with the smallest changes to Prime/Aqua. You are in for a great treat :). As far as hooks, bring your magnets. They work just fine through the wallpaper. For a clothing line alternative, I had four large clip magnets. I clipped my suit up. Not ideal but worked pretty good. Have a great vacation!

So this means you can use the suction hooks also in the shower? That's great. I didn't know what those walls were made from so sounds good.

I sure hope the food is as good as I remember from the Quest when we sailed on her. Even the burgers were delicious by the pool. Prime and Aqualina were fabulous also.

It becomes very disappointing when you remember how wonderful something was and then it changes after you book with the cruise line again.

We recently had some of that happen on Crystal (with food choices) last year. I was so disappointed that they dropped some of the things I remembered from our previous cruise with them that I was looking forward to. But then they had some new items that were delicious.

Thanks for your positive review.

Edited by potterp

I have read that review about the second cruise after drydock and I think it picks up on a few petty things and does not look at the bigger picture. You might want to have a look at my brief review which is now further down this page for a different perspective.

Yes, there was some work going on after the refit but in no way did it impinge on our enjoyment of the cruise. It was minor. Yes, we were awoken one morning with an emergency announcement, but as the captain explained later, someone had pressed the wrong button. Did it spoil the cruise? No.

Trivia is meant to be fun. The prizes are nothing much, but so what? The presenters on trivia were (shock and horror!) not native English speakers but they were perfectly understandable and also lively and fun.

The food, on the whole, was very good to excellent. I cannot see what the problem with the chairs in Cabaret and Discoveries Restaurant could possible be.

Don't be put off by that review. It was very unbalanced. Ignore it unless you are hung up on hooks (pun very much intended!)

Thanks for the positive comments. I don't care either about the trivia prizes since the game is really just fun to do, especially on a sea day.

However, you must admit that they missed the mark on some of the small things that were so easily doable (like the shower line) and make the cabin more functional. People shouldn't have to bring hooks and lines with them on a cruise, especially when they were there before?

Also, I have read in here from someone that they did have those things in their cabin (and it was after the refit) so what's up with that?

Anyway, I appreciate that everyone is still positive about Azamara.

I am beginning to be more excited about going now!

UOTE=Host Jazzbeau;49220286]My impression -- for all cruise lines -- is that the Reviews section of Cruise Critic attracts a lot of newbies who haven't done their research here on the boards before cruising, and whose standards are difficult to suss out because we don't know what they liked and disliked in the past. I put much more credence in reviews that are posted here, especially when I already recognize the poster [of course that cuts both ways, but I feel better able to judge whether I would have reacted the same way they did]. That's why I always suggest to regular posters that they create a review thread here as well as posting a review over there.

Yes, you're right and I've seen some posters in here who were totally against anything they did in the retrofit, especially some of the problems people had on the first cruise after refit. One person said people shouldn't have had to put up with the small things like a plug not being in the bathtub. But they did get some credit for a future cruise. This is good customer service when they recognize that folks are not happy and they do try to take care of it.

Shower lines, etc. -- they didn't "drop the ball," they made choices. Some of us [including me] may disagree with the choice made, but that doesn't make it a mistake. Throwing out the bathtub plugs WAS a mistake, and it was remedied. I wouldn't expect an immediate "fix" on this one though, any more than the curved love seat that some don't like -- because it was a design choice.

Ignore it unless you are hung up on hooks (pun very much intended!)

Good one!:D. I certainly won't get hung up about it. In the grand scheme of things it is so inconsequential. Back again in a month or so and very much looking forward to the ship and the great crew who every time are a delight and I've cruised on Journey quite a few times. No worries here.

Phil

In our reimagined CC suite with bath there was a towel rail over the bath that was perfect for hanging wet bathing costumes etc.

We always carry, well if we remember to pack them that is, a couple of suction hooks that attach to the cabin ceiling and are useful for hanging odds and ends on.

I'm afraid we do find the trivia on Journey to be poor, it is not because of the rubbish prizes, nobody's there for the prizes. They get things wrong like:

- lack of continuity of hosts so there's no build up of jokes and banter through the trip

- bad timing of triv and held in venues without the bar being open

- lack of competitive spirit in the hosts. They are going through the motions, you feel as though they've groaned that it is their turn to be trivia host, they turn up, read out the Q and As as quickly as possible and get back to their preferred activity as quickly as possible.

Eric as a CD seems much more focussed on the 'cabaret' type of entertainment, & is fab at it if that's your thing.

We're still sailing on the Journey again (under 4 weeks to go now!), but for it to be my 'perfect ship', the trivia would be much, much better.

I'm afraid we do find the trivia on Journey to be poor, it is not because of the rubbish prizes, nobody's there for the prizes. They get things wrong like:

- lack of continuity of hosts so there's no build up of jokes and banter through the trip

- lack of competitive spirit in the hosts. They are going through the motions, you feel as though they've groaned that it is their turn to be trivia host, they turn up, read out the Q and As as quickly as possible and get back to their preferred activity as quickly as possible.

Eric as a CD seems much more focussed on the 'cabaret' type of entertainment, & is fab at it if that's your thing.

We're still sailing on the Journey again (under 4 weeks to go now!), but for it to be my 'perfect ship', the trivia would be much, much better.

That is definitely not the case with Ed, the Brazilian DJ. I thought he did the trivia very well.

Shower lines, etc. -- they didn't "drop the ball," they made choices. Some of us [including me] may disagree with the choice made, but that doesn't make it a mistake. Throwing out the bathtub plugs WAS a mistake, and it was remedied. I wouldn't expect an immediate "fix" on this one though, any more than the curved love seat that some don't like -- because it was a design choice.

Host Jazzbeau -

So how would you explain the fact that someone who was just on the ship said they did have a shower line in their cabin (deck 6)? Was that by design? Only for that cabin?

Good one!:D. I certainly won't get hung up about it. In the grand scheme of things it is so inconsequential. Back again in a month or so and very much looking forward to the ship and the great crew who every time are a delight and I've cruised on Journey quite a few times. No worries here.

Phil

Well maybe you don't have any wet clothes to hang up? It's not inconsequential to some as you have read on these boards.

No not so important in the overall cruise experience but quite an annoyance.

I have someone telling me they left these things out by design?

I'd like to shake the hand of the person who designed a cabin with no space for anything They are small enough as it is.

You may be sailing with us next month?

We are all different, the reasons I liked Azamara trivia a few cruises ago included

* We don't want to go to every trivia so where they are on ships where it is full of jokes are only understood by the regulars, we feel left out

* We are not too worried about the bar and given the space limitations on Azamara its difficult to have venues with bars open all the time. If it was an issue for us we would just go and get a drink and take it there

* We hate the competitive "wind up" nature of trivia on so many ships

On our upcoming cruise, we may or may not go to trivia, we certainly will miss the progressive one because we will not commit to every day going to trivia

My pet hates in trivia. 1) folk take it way too seriously for the sake of a key ring 2) people make fun of the questioner because they are from say Ukraine and can't pronounce a word. I feel like saying "you speak Ukrainian then, do you?"

I think it's also worth saying that Azamara is a destination cruiseline with in general fewer sea days and only two small ships to operate it on. Having said that I've been on cruises where a lot of fun seems to have been had from trivia competitions. I'll do the small ones, but don't commit to the progressive. Trivia is about the perfect pitch for me.

Phil

Well maybe you don't have any wet clothes to hang up? It's not inconsequential to some as you have read on these boards.

No not so important in the overall cruise experience but quite an annoyance.

I have someone telling me they left these things out by design?

I'd like to shake the hand of the person who designed a cabin with no space for anything They are small enough as it is.

You may be sailing with us next month?

I'm on the TA Miami to Nice in April. Had a great time last November doing the opposite way crossing and looking forward to this one.

Yes, I've had wet clothes to hang up before, but usually manage and didn't always use the clothes line. I do however do none of my own laundry and send out what I need to. That might make a difference.

Guest Relations staff on Journey BTW are great IMHO, but it must be one of the most challenging parts of the ship to work. I've heard the way some guests talk to them and it truly makes me shake my head.

Go with the mindset that you'll have a great cruise and don't dwell too much on the negatives. There are plenty of positives here too. It's all about balance.

Phil

We've never had so much fun playing trivia as we did on the last Transatlantic, where we were very pleased to get to know Phil better.

Eric ran the progressive trivia over the 8 days that we were at sea. It was held at 12:15 PM in the former Looking Glass.The bar was open at noon, so there were plenty of libations available. As I remember it, over 100 passengers formed into about 20 teams, and a good time was had by all. Captain Johannes and Heike were regular observers. Johannes even contributed several questions for Eric to deliver. The game all ended around 1 PM so no one's schedule was impacted. It was a lot of fun!

We've never had so much fun playing trivia as we did on the last Transatlantic, where we were very pleased to get to know Phil better.

Eric ran the progressive trivia over the 8 days that we were at sea. It was held at 12:15 PM in the former Looking Glass.The bar was open at noon, so there were plenty of libations available. As I remember it, over 100 passengers formed into about 20 teams, and a good time was had by all. Captain Johannes and Heike were regular observers. Johannes even contributed several questions for Eric to deliver. The game all ended around 1 PM so no one's schedule was impacted. It was a lot of fun!

Thanks Bill, that sounds a bit better